Start by marking “For Sale by Owner” as Want to Read:
For Sale by Owner

For Sale by Owner

McKenzie Forsberg is headed home. She's quit her big-city job to return to her roots in the small town of Lake Forest. Kenzi hopes to buy her childhood home from her brother, Tom, as a way of revisiting the peace and security she's been missing in her life. But soon she is shocked to discover that the house has a pending sale, and Tom won't budge from the sale—not even for ...more
Published October 3rd 2016 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about For Sale by Owner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Sale by Owner

Katie W
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
Kenzie is moving back to her small hometown to make a new life, after a job change, a divorce, and a need for a change of pace. She has a plan--to buy her childhood home from her brother, but without making her plans known, it's sold to someone else--Jared. In an attempt to get that house, make amends with her estranged father, and engage in a possible new romance, Kenzie's Christmas holiday is anything but boring.

The story starts out to be very engaging, but I quickly found Kenzie t
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I love the fall season, the cooler weather, the changing of leaves, kids back to school, etc. This book has me looking forward to winter and Christmas!

McKenzie has decided to move back to her hometown. Her wish is to purchase her childhood home. She thinks that Christmas is the perfect time to tell her family, except the house is under contract to another buyer. She thinks that she can sweet talk the handsome Jared into finding a different house. This begins the war over the house. I
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
It seems like I've read a few books with a pretty similar premise lately- two people that are attracted to each other but fighting over the same house. I enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere of Kenzie's hometown and the congeniality between the Jared and her, even when they are supposedly at odds. Much of the narration and dialogue is telling about mundane details of daily life that don't seem to add to the story, but it progresses along at a steady pace. I was more interested in the subplot of Kenzi ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
2.5 stars rounding up

First off, I have to say that I love this cover. It's so cute and connects well with the characters and story in this book. Yay for fun covers!

The story itself left me wanting a bit. I just didn't find myself connecting with or loving the characters in this book. Kenzie is just off putting. I really didn't like her much at all. And Jared just felt flat. The connection between them didn't work for me.

In theory, this book has all the element
Shauna
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an adorable story! I LOVED IT!
You quickly figure out where the story is going, but along the way many roadblocks make you wonder if they will ever get there--And that makes for some very fun reading! The family struggles that play in the story give you a sense of belonging--especially if you have been there before. And the Christmas setting will draw you in leaving you smiling until the very last page is turned.
I highly recommend this book!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Lovely ending. Review posting 10/5.
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, romance
The premise of the story was super cute, but the main character rubbed me the wrong way. So much of her problems were brought on by herself. If she would just think before she acted her life would have been so much less stressful.
My favorite part of the story was the background history they had together. Being best friends as kids made the book more enjoyable to me.
Becca
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I needed this book. I have been reading a lot of sad and kind of scary books, so this one came just at the right time. It's so sweet, and just gives you that "feel good" felling.

First, I love the setting of this book. I love how the author made me want to sit on a porch in this quaint little town of Lake Forest, with a good book and a blanket. I am not much for small towns, but this one was beautiful.

Second, the characters were awesome. Kenzie seemed to be a bit beat down when she g
Kathleen
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Sale By Owner is a lighthearted holiday romance about life choices, new beginnings, and second chances.

Author Marlene Bateman weaves a sweet holiday romance tale set in Lake Forest, Illinois, that follows McKenzie Forsberg's bittersweet return to her hometown to rebuild her life after the stress of divorce and losing her job. McKenzie wants to buy her childhood home for her daughter Sarah, but her plans are turned upside down when the house is already under contract by handsome w
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
After a difficult divorce and an employment change, McKenzie wants to move back to her hometown with her daughter and buy her childhood home, currently owned by her brother and for sale. Kenzie arrives only to discover that her brother has sold the house to Jared, because McKenzie never expressed an interest in purchasing it herself.

McKenzie is a trainwreck and for most of the book, she's a caricature of whiny selfishness. Seriously, I couldn't find any real redeeming qualities in her, and I co
Sydney
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
At the beginning of the story, the main character, McKenzie Forsberg is a bi winey. Life isn’t really going her way; she is in a big fight with her dad and someone made an offer on the house she wanted to buy from her brother. McKenzie is a bit selfish and hurts some people, including Jared Rawlins, a guy she is interested in. McKenzie makes several mistakes and hurts some people along the way, but she feels bad and is repentant and apologizes. As the book goes along, McKenzie gets a bit of a be ...more
Tarah
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, to start off with, I will say that this has a beautiful cover. It's one I would pick up and be interested in because it was eye catching. Plus, as a bonus, they got the little details right (with the green laces on his skates).

I wasn't a big fan of either major characters. Especially Kenzie. She didn't get what she wanted to so she tried to make it so someone else couldn't get what they wanted. What?!? That's our heroine? Because of that I had a really hard time getting into th
Bonnie
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute story. The characters are fun and easy to like. I liked the storyline and the twists that were scattered throughout. I was really happy with the finally twist at the end, although I wish it was seeded a little bit earlier in the story. This is a great, clean read for anyone that loves a sweet romance. I highly recommend it to those sweet romance people out there.

:) :) :) :)
Tracy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a pretty cheesy and fairly predictable, but fun, romance. McKenzie has quit her high-profile, high-paying job and left her playboy ex-husband to return home--literally. She wants to buy her childhood home, the place where she met Tyrone, her best friend and the person she spent her childhood with, running through the woods, skating on the ice, and exploring life together. Unfortunately, someone has already put an offer on the house. A terrible, awful, good-looking, kind person named Jare ...more
Anna
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, lds-fiction
A decent romance, but I could not entirely believe the premise because Jared's insistence on buying Tom's house did not make much sense, a kind, reasonable person (as he is supposed to be) would have been willing to withdraw their offer when given the very compelling reasons Kenzie had for wanting that particular house, in that and a few other instances Jared actually comes off as a jerk. I also was annoyed by everyone constantly telling us that Kenzie was super impulsive doing things without th ...more
Diana
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book! I didn't realize when I started it that it was set at Christmas, so that was a fun bonus since we just celebrated Christmas and I'm still in the holiday mode. I loved the characters and the storyline and it was fun to see just how the story would unfold. I would definitely recommend this book!
Monica Miles
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read - I thought I had it all figured out when I started reading it but there were some interesting twists I wasn't expecting so it never became boring and made me enjoy it even more. I like how Kenzie and Jared's relationship evolved and enjoyed their kid's friendship also. Very clean and refreshing to read - would recommend for teens and up.
Wendy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Average LDS fiction. The writing was just ok. It was given to me to read on vacation, and although it was a quick read there was plenty left wanting. The setting was quaint and the author tried to tackle some big issues but overall it still felt a bit weak and was highly predictable....that's lds fiction for you. Was just ok for me.
Zack Nesi
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five Star Romance. It was a fun story. Very romantic. I like the mystery in the book. I loved the surprise twist at the end. I would recommend it for anyone 16 or older. It was a clean romance that everyone can read. It had a very happy ending.
Melanie
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a delightful read! It is quick paced and caught my interest from the very beginning. I especially enjoyed the characters. There were several conversations with children that made me laugh out loud! Clever, sweet and a reminder of the magic of Christmas!
Marie
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
predictable but sweet
Lydia
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel, particularly the depth and realness of the relationships. Misunderstandings and real battles in life made the story heartfelt, tugging at your heart.
Ann
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
OK easy to read romance.
Rebecca Dean
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought the "heroine" was lame. I couldn't understand her obsession and it seemed she couldn't think logically.

I never became invested in her as a character. Sorry
Susan Brandley
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

This was a super fun book to read! It talks about how miracles really can happen! This was awesome! Thanks for another great book Marlene Bateman!
Rachel
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was okay. Not my favorite but interesting enough for me to finish it.
Marieva Munson
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book. I could not lay it down. I had it read I. A day and a half
Naomi
Definitely grew on me.
Amy
Through Chapter 6.
Erica
Mar 15, 2017 added it
Probably 3-ish stars, but as I ended up skimming this one, I'm not going to make that official.

You've got divorcee with adorable daughter who returns home for the holidays with several big surprises and an estranged relationship with her dad. Add in a charming new fellow, a house sale debacle and a lot of miscommunication issues, with a dose of childhood magic. Cute, but not suck-me-in-so-i-abandon-all-responsibilities cute.

• Discovering Peace
  • Mile 21
  • A Way Back To You
  • Pierced by Love
  • The Accidental Marriage
  • Sense and Sensibility: A Latter-Day Tale
  • Christmas in Snow Valley  (Snow Valley Romance Anthologies, #1)
  • Courting Carrie in Wonderland
  • Full Court Devotion (Christmas in Snow Valley #3)
  • Ella
  • End's Beginning (The Gathering #1)
  • The Quantum Breach (Tanner Zane, #1)
  • Flowers of Grace
  • Beyond (Beyond, #1)
  • How Much Do You Love Me?
  • Old Maid of Honor
  • Shatter
  • Double Play
Background
I grew up in Sandy, Utah, where my parents had a mini-farm on an acre and a half. My father raised a lot of things, but the two main ones were gladiolus and mink. Think flowers and fur coats. My mother, a creative person, was a florist. I was blessed to be raised as a Christian and I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). I’m thankful to know God l