Start by marking “For Sale by Owner” as Want to Read:
For Sale by Owner

For Sale by Owner

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
McKenzie Forsberg is headed home. She's quit her big-city job to return to her roots in the small town of Lake Forest. Kenzi hopes to buy her childhood home from her brother, Tom, as a way of revisiting the peace and security she's been missing in her life. But soon she is shocked to discover that the house has a pending sale, and Tom won't budge from the sale—not even for ...more
Published October 3rd 2016 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about For Sale by Owner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Sale by Owner

Katie W
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
Kenzie is moving back to her small hometown to make a new life, after a job change, a divorce, and a need for a change of pace. She has a plan--to buy her childhood home from her brother, but without making her plans known, it's sold to someone else--Jared. In an attempt to get that house, make amends with her estranged father, and engage in a possible new romance, Kenzie's Christmas holiday is anything but boring.

The story starts out to be very engaging, but I quickly found Kenzie to be quite h
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I love the fall season, the cooler weather, the changing of leaves, kids back to school, etc. This book has me looking forward to winter and Christmas!

McKenzie has decided to move back to her hometown. Her wish is to purchase her childhood home. She thinks that Christmas is the perfect time to tell her family, except the house is under contract to another buyer. She thinks that she can sweet talk the handsome Jared into finding a different house. This begins the war over the house. It seems that
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
It seems like I've read a few books with a pretty similar premise lately- two people that are attracted to each other but fighting over the same house. I enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere of Kenzie's hometown and the congeniality between the Jared and her, even when they are supposedly at odds. Much of the narration and dialogue is telling about mundane details of daily life that don't seem to add to the story, but it progresses along at a steady pace. I was more interested in the subplot of Kenzi ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
2.5 stars rounding up

First off, I have to say that I love this cover. It's so cute and connects well with the characters and story in this book. Yay for fun covers!

The story itself left me wanting a bit. I just didn't find myself connecting with or loving the characters in this book. Kenzie is just off putting. I really didn't like her much at all. And Jared just felt flat. The connection between them didn't work for me.

In theory, this book has all the elements I look for- conflict, family issue
Shauna
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an adorable story! I LOVED IT!
You quickly figure out where the story is going, but along the way many roadblocks make you wonder if they will ever get there--And that makes for some very fun reading! The family struggles that play in the story give you a sense of belonging--especially if you have been there before. And the Christmas setting will draw you in leaving you smiling until the very last page is turned.
I highly recommend this book!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Lovely ending. Review posting 10/5.
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, romance
The premise of the story was super cute, but the main character rubbed me the wrong way. So much of her problems were brought on by herself. If she would just think before she acted her life would have been so much less stressful.
My favorite part of the story was the background history they had together. Being best friends as kids made the book more enjoyable to me.
Becca
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I needed this book. I have been reading a lot of sad and kind of scary books, so this one came just at the right time. It's so sweet, and just gives you that "feel good" felling.

First, I love the setting of this book. I love how the author made me want to sit on a porch in this quaint little town of Lake Forest, with a good book and a blanket. I am not much for small towns, but this one was beautiful.

Second, the characters were awesome. Kenzie seemed to be a bit beat down when she goes home for
Kathleen
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Sale By Owner is a lighthearted holiday romance about life choices, new beginnings, and second chances.

Author Marlene Bateman weaves a sweet holiday romance tale set in Lake Forest, Illinois, that follows McKenzie Forsberg's bittersweet return to her hometown to rebuild her life after the stress of divorce and losing her job. McKenzie wants to buy her childhood home for her daughter Sarah, but her plans are turned upside down when the house is already under contract by handsome widower Jared
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
After a difficult divorce and an employment change, McKenzie wants to move back to her hometown with her daughter and buy her childhood home, currently owned by her brother and for sale. Kenzie arrives only to discover that her brother has sold the house to Jared, because McKenzie never expressed an interest in purchasing it herself.

McKenzie is a trainwreck and for most of the book, she's a caricature of whiny selfishness. Seriously, I couldn't find any real redeeming qualities in her, and I co
Mandy
Oct 22, 2016 added it
Kenzie is in need of a new start after a divorce and losing her job. She has her heart set on returning home and buying her childhood house, and raising her daughter in a close-knit town.

She finds things aren’t going to be that easy, as she faces a long-time rift with her father, the home she dreamed of is already sold, and a man she could really get to like, who is now her biggest threat to realizing her dream
For Sale By Owner is a light, romantic novel set in the magical season of Christmas.
Tarah
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, to start off with, I will say that this has a beautiful cover. It's one I would pick up and be interested in because it was eye catching. Plus, as a bonus, they got the little details right (with the green laces on his skates).

I wasn't a big fan of either major characters. Especially Kenzie. She didn't get what she wanted to so she tried to make it so someone else couldn't get what they wanted. What?!? That's our heroine? Because of that I had a really hard time getting into this story, an
Sydney
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
At the beginning of the story, the main character, McKenzie Forsberg is a bi winey. Life isn’t really going her way; she is in a big fight with her dad and someone made an offer on the house she wanted to buy from her brother. McKenzie is a bit selfish and hurts some people, including Jared Rawlins, a guy she is interested in. McKenzie makes several mistakes and hurts some people along the way, but she feels bad and is repentant and apologizes. As the book goes along, McKenzie gets a bit of a be ...more
Bonnie
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute story. The characters are fun and easy to like. I liked the storyline and the twists that were scattered throughout. I was really happy with the finally twist at the end, although I wish it was seeded a little bit earlier in the story. This is a great, clean read for anyone that loves a sweet romance. I highly recommend it to those sweet romance people out there.

:) :) :) :)
Tracy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a pretty cheesy and fairly predictable, but fun, romance. McKenzie has quit her high-profile, high-paying job and left her playboy ex-husband to return home--literally. She wants to buy her childhood home, the place where she met Tyrone, her best friend and the person she spent her childhood with, running through the woods, skating on the ice, and exploring life together. Unfortunately, someone has already put an offer on the house. A terrible, awful, good-looking, kind person named Jare ...more
Monica Miles
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read - I thought I had it all figured out when I started reading it but there were some interesting twists I wasn't expecting so it never became boring and made me enjoy it even more. I like how Kenzie and Jared's relationship evolved and enjoyed their kid's friendship also. Very clean and refreshing to read - would recommend for teens and up.
Wendy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Average LDS fiction. The writing was just ok. It was given to me to read on vacation, and although it was a quick read there was plenty left wanting. The setting was quaint and the author tried to tackle some big issues but overall it still felt a bit weak and was highly predictable....that's lds fiction for you. Was just ok for me.
Diana
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book! I didn't realize when I started it that it was set at Christmas, so that was a fun bonus since we just celebrated Christmas and I'm still in the holiday mode. I loved the characters and the storyline and it was fun to see just how the story would unfold. I would definitely recommend this book!
Zack Nesi
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five Star Romance. It was a fun story. Very romantic. I like the mystery in the book. I loved the surprise twist at the end. I would recommend it for anyone 16 or older. It was a clean romance that everyone can read. It had a very happy ending.
Melanie
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a delightful read! It is quick paced and caught my interest from the very beginning. I especially enjoyed the characters. There were several conversations with children that made me laugh out loud! Clever, sweet and a reminder of the magic of Christmas!
Susan Brandley
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

This was a super fun book to read! It talks about how miracles really can happen! This was awesome! Thanks for another great book Marlene Bateman!
Naomi
Definitely grew on me.
Lydia
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel, particularly the depth and realness of the relationships. Misunderstandings and real battles in life made the story heartfelt, tugging at your heart.
Rachel
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was okay. Not my favorite but interesting enough for me to finish it.
Rebecca Dean
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought the "heroine" was lame. I couldn't understand her obsession and it seemed she couldn't think logically.

I never became invested in her as a character. Sorry
Marie
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
predictable but sweet
Erica
Mar 15, 2017 added it
Probably 3-ish stars, but as I ended up skimming this one, I'm not going to make that official.

You've got divorcee with adorable daughter who returns home for the holidays with several big surprises and an estranged relationship with her dad. Add in a charming new fellow, a house sale debacle and a lot of miscommunication issues, with a dose of childhood magic. Cute, but not suck-me-in-so-i-abandon-all-responsibilities cute.
Kelly
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great, clean romance. Great story line. It was witty and fun to read. The characters were realistic and had their faults, but came through in the end. Even though Kenzie was blamed for something she did inadvertently, she maturely owns up to it, apologizes, and makes things right in the end. I like the mention of prayer and God, although the religious elements were at a minimum. There was just enough depth to make the characters and story seem honest and real, while the overall tone of the boo ...more
Bobi
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. Except for the inability for the proofreader to keep the spellings of names the same (Dalquist vs. Dahlquist) as well as locations (Rockford vs. Rockport). That bothered me some. Good thing it didn't take away from the story!
John H. Wells
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very easy romantic novel read with enough suspense to keep you interested. Considering the times we live in it is very real to our every day life. Makes you step back a few times and look at your own approach to personal relationships. Recommended for anyone. Maybe even a must read for men so they can see themselves more clearly.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Background
I grew up in Sandy, Utah, where my parents had a mini-farm on an acre and a half. My father raised a lot of things, but the two main ones were gladiolus and mink. Think flowers and fur coats. My mother, a creative person, was a florist. I was blessed to be raised as a Christian and I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). I’m thankful to know God lives a
More about Marlene Bateman

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be