Start by marking “Sometimes I Lie” as Want to Read:

Sometimes I Lie

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  67,213 ratings  ·  9,409 reviews
My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can’t move. She can’t speak. She can’t open her eyes. She can hear everyone around her, but they have no idea. Amber doesn’t remember what happened, but she has a suspicion her husband had something to do
Published March 23rd 2017 by HQ (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes I Lie, please sign up.
Taz
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Carmen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  67,213 ratings  ·  9,409 reviews

Start your review of Sometimes I Lie
Emily May
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are three things you should know about me:
1. I'm in a coma.
2. My husband doesn't love me any more.

HOLY MOTHER OF TWISTS.

I'm not usually a fan of books that hang everything on their twists or reveals, but it seems I can make an exception when my mind explodes multiple times from all the surprises. This is a book where it's important to go into it knowing as little as possible, which makes it difficult to review. But I shall try.

Amber Reynolds
Susanne  Strong
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars
Absolutely Fanfrakkingtastic!

A Crazy, Intriguing, Twisty-Turny Psychological Thriller that Makes Your Heart Pound and leaves you Completely Dumbfounded.

I am not lying or trying to josh you. Upon finishing "Sometimes I Lie," I re-read the last few pages over and over and then I just sat there, staring out, shocked; wild eyed - almost in disbelief.

You've heard about the plot:

My name is Amber Reynolds.
There are three things you should know about me:
1. I'm in a coma.
Deanna
ALL THE STARS !!!!

Amber Reynolds wakes up and doesn’t know where she is. For a moment she wonders if it might be a hotel. But then she realizes she’s in a hospital. She doesn’t know how she got there.

Why can’t she open her eyes?

She knows her name, that she’s thirty-five years old, and that she’s married to Paul. Memories come but she pushes them away. Something very bad has happened but she can’t remember what or when.

“Why isn’t he here?”

But she may already kno/>
Maureen
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
** 4.5 STARS**

All psychological thrillers mess with your head, that's what we expect, but Alice Feeney has taken it a step further with this clever, compelling story. A story related to us by Amber Reynolds as she lies in a hospital bed whilst in a coma.

I really don't want to give anything away here - it would be way too easy to give away a crucial segment of the plot and spoil the whole thing for anyone else, let's just say that this is possibly one of the most twisty tu
Kaceey
Wow! Now that my friend, is a thriller!!
Amber wakes up in the hospital, able to hear everyone around her. Only she can’t move a muscle, can’t speak a single word. She is trapped in her own body and has no way to communicate. How did she get here? What happened?

What a finely-crafted whodunit!! It will have you questioning absolutely everything! What’s real, what isn’t! What’s the truth, and what’s a lie!
As the story unfolded and I tried wrapping my brain around the mind-blowing twists, my h
Chelsea Humphrey
I'd like to thank Macmillan Audio and Goodreads Giveaways for this copy! 🖤

I never have as much time to plow through Audio books as I do print, due to small children, but don't let the amount of time I took getting through this fool you. I've seen varied reviews of this one and I'm definitely on the love it side of the spectrum! While I was expecting a little bit of the ending (only because I'd heard of this book many moons ago from my U.K. Friends), it didn't ruin the story for me one bit. Ther
Skyler Autumn
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 Stars

This book is absolutely raved about on Goodreads, tons of 5 star reviews and I'm sorry I'm going to have to fall in the minority here by saying, "no I don't like you book!" This book follows our protagonist Amber as she wakes up in the hospital, in a coma with no memory of the past 24 hours as she attempts to work out in her mind how and what and why this is all happening to her. We as readers are trapped in the head of a less then reliable narrator (as subtly implied by the title of t
Meredith
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sometimes I Lie is all kinds of crazy! Here’s the thing-- l love crazy, but in this case it was just too unbelievable. I just couldn’t suspend my disbelief long enough to get sucked in and love this book like I wanted to!

Three narratives intersect:

A woman lies in a hospital bed in a coma. She can hear everything that is going on around her but cannot communicate to let those who love her know that something is very wrong.

Switch to days before her accident, and we learn about her
Crumb
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.. do you agree?

There were these moments..

And definitely this:

There were moments where there were feelings of:

But overall, I felt like this:

karen
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-from-work
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best mystery & thriller 2018! what will happen?

People are not mirrors - they don’t see you how you see yourself.

a careful, careful tiptoe review for a book whose hook is how twisty its twists, how shocking its conclusion.

the publisher-letter slipped into this ARC says:

It has an ending that completely messes with your head in the very best sense - and if you can see it coming, you’re smarter than everyone I know!

which is thesays:
Ithappen?
People
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 clever blockbuster stars to Sometimes I Lie 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

Here’s all you really need to know:

My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

The very start of the book says it best! From the beginning, you don’t know who to trust or even what is real! I was so excited to read this book I couldn’t wait for its release in the US. I had to order it from the UK to get my fix! It was...worth it!

Amber is the mowas...worth
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Oh. My. God.

The twists in this book have literally turned my brain to mush. I'm sitting here dumbfounded by the final twist unable to find more words to do this book justice. This book is one of the best twisty-turny psychological thrillers Ive ever read. Pure genius and you won't see half of it coming until it slaps you across the face.

The plot sizzles. It's electrifying and intriguing. A woman in a coma. Secrets. A past that impacts the present. Loyalties. Dysfunctional, damaged and s
j e w e l s
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bejeweled
FOUR STARS

This book is best read quickly. Perfect for a plane or train ride. There is a flow to the lies, the twists and the plot. The twists intensify and once you think you have it figured out....you sure as hell don't.

The addictive writing is very nicely done and the author presents the most unreliable narrator in recent memory: Amber Reynolds. The plot is compelling and tense, it reminds me of one of my old favorites Before I Go to Sleep.

However, I didn't love the ending and I wish to the hi
Theresa Alan
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a good portion of this novel, I couldn’t decide if I liked it or not. I will say that I read it over the course of twenty-four hours because I COULD NOT STOP reading it, so that’s certainly something.

Amber Reynolds tells her story from her hospital bed where she’s in a coma. She can hear the voices of nurses, her husband, and her sister, but she can’t react to them in any way. She shares her tale of what happened in the few days leading up to the coma and in the past.

Because she
Melisa
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here’s the thing about hyped books: some people read it and rave, the reviews spread like wildfire and you get your hopes up for some false promise of something out of this world only to be inevitably let down. I get it, it’s happened to me too. But please, reader, *try* to go into this one with an open mind and no preconceived notions and just enjoy the ride. Because it is quite a ride to enjoy.

So this isn’t really a review but more of a recommendation😆 read it, enjoy it, and let me know what
Evgnossia O'Hara
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, thrillers
Review was originally published on Through the Chapters|Blog

*4.5 stars*

"Sometimes the right thing to do is wrong, but that’s just life."

Sometimes I lie because I have to. Sometimes I lie because I need to. Sometimes I lie because I want to.

We all lie for multiple reasons. Sometimes the lies are harmless or even essential to heal the ones we love. But, there are some other types of lies that destroy families, careers and lives.

You may wonder which type of liar is the main protagonist of the captivating psychological thriller “Sometimes I Lie”. Well, you have tostars*
Chapters|Blog
*4.5
Holly  B
A main character who is in a coma and sometimes lies. I'm all in!

Quite a spellbinding read from start to finish. We are not sure how Amber ended up in the hospital in this coma , but she does admit that sometimes she lies. This was like a puzzle and I was trying to put the pieces together, but couldn't entirely trust all the pieces. Very cleverly written and I loved hearing what Amber was thinking while in this coma sizing up everyone in the room and giving us her insight. There was
Carol (Bookaria)
I swallowed this book in two, big gulps!

The book starts with Amber waking up in a hospital unable to move but able to listen and smell everything around her. She's in a coma!

She can't remember how she ended up there but little by little she starts reconstructing the events from the conversations of her visitors and memories. Amber suspects her husband and maybe her sister but is not sure...

This was an excellent psychological thriller! The story alternates between the present and the past. It takes plac
Jennifer Masterson
2.5 ⭐. This is a review of the audio version. I know that I’m in the very minority but this was just too crazy. I found the first half of the book very creepy. It almost read a bit like horror for me. Maybe that’s because I hate hospitals. I’m not sure. Then came a point in which the book took on massive twists and soooooo many twists. The last couple hours of audio were over the top in my opinion. Too many outrageous twists!!! It was like Gone Girl on steroids. Maybe I just read it wrong becaus ...more
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Audiobook.....Library Overdrive....read by Stephanie Racine

I was itching to throw in the towel. I got fidgety - bored - and confused- but kept listening because of the many “FANTASTIC, UNPREDICTABLE & GREAT READ”, high ratings.
I waited - and waited ( soaking in my pool was nice) - for a SPARK of genuine interest to kick in. It picked up a little - but overall this story gave me brain pain!

A woman in a coma — with all her shticks - and self pity whining - read by a reader with a
Diane S ☔
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
From the title alone, one knows they will more than likely be dealing with an unreliable narrator. Not to believe everything you are reading, and not to even try to figure out where this is going. Despite knowing this going in, this novel still made my head spin. I began to doubt everything I was being told, or most of it, and honestly couldn't figure out where this was going. I liked that, it has been a very long time since I have read a novel quite this psychologically twisty.

The chapters alt
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q: The house didn’t explode exactly. (c) I seem to be picking the books with the most unimaginably fucked-up heroes lately. I wonder what it tells about me, my luck, my choices, my preferences, etc? BEWARE OF SPOILERS!
Q: People are not mirrors, they don’t see you how you see yourself. (c) Poignant and engrossing to the point of obsession. Unputdownable and read in a single sitting.
Q: I’ll always remember what she said then.
I’m always going to look after you, Amber Taylor, take my hand.
I always did what/>
Nicola
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it

“People think that good and bad are opposites,but they’re wrong,they’re just
mirror images of one another in broken glass”

My name is Amber Reynolds.
There are three things you should know about me.
1.I’m in a coma.
2.My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3.Sometimes I lie.

Amber wakes up in a hospital.She can’t move.She can’t speak.She can’t open her eyes.She can hear everyone around her but they have no idea.
Amber doesn’t remember what h
Lindsay - Traveling Sister

This was a twisty, creepy, suspenseful story revolving around Amber who is in a coma after an unknown event occurs. The narration switches from Then – Amber before the coma, and Now – Amber while in the coma. It was very interesting to follow Amber’s thoughts as a coma patient who could hear all going on around her, but could not interact. I also enjoyed the journal entry chapters from Amber’s past.

I think my overall enjoyment of this novel was negatively affected by two th
Linda
Believe me........

Not all the chess pieces have been placed on this gameboard.

Alice Feeney creates a storyline with a "dig and delve" theme here. Prepare yourself for the task of sifting through, chapter by chapter, of what is really real and what is really not.

Case in point: Amber Reynolds wakes up in a hospital bed in which she can hear the voices around her, but she cannot react in a physical manner. Our girl is in what's perceived to be a deep coma. She id
Felicia
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liken this story to a ride on Space Mountain at Disneyland. If you're unfamiliar with this iconic ride, it's an indoor rollercoaster IN THE DARK.

It's dark.
It's thrilling.
It's disorienting.
And you never see the twists coming.

Even with all the hype, this book still exceeded my expectations.

4.5 Stars ⭐
Taryn
We are all just ghosts of the people we hoped that we were and counterfeit replicas of the people we wanted to be.

Amber Reynolds wakes up in a hospital bed. She's conscious but unable to move or speak. Even though she can't remember anything about the incident that caused her injuries, she's certain that her husband has something to do with it. As the professional and marital troubles that plague her present and the traumas that defined her past come to light, the circumstances leading to Amber's
Joey R.
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I went to the review section and discovered this book has elicited some of the strongest reactions of any book I have read. It seems that readers either love this book or hate it. Put me in the list of readers who believe this to be one of the best thrillers I have read this year. I admit to being a big fan of books that rely on unreliable narrators because the books are so unpredictable and much more entertaining to read. This book’s narrator,Amber, is an admitted liar ...more
emma
I might need to stop reading thrillers.

This is, to put it simply, a bummer. I enjoy being scared by books. I like stories with twists and fast plots. I want to be spooked and surprised. I appreciate a heart-pounding, pulse-speeding read on occasion.

I thought that’s what thrillers were supposed to be. But it turns out I was wrong.

Actually, thrillers are none of those things. They are slow and boring. They may have a twist or two, or what is supposed to be a twi
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read so many psychological thrillers that they tend to blend together. It is often hard for a novel to be twisty enough. So when you go into a book knowing nothing except the protagonists name and three things about her including that she sometimes lies. Well..you never want to quite believe anything she says. We know she's a liar, so should it be easy enough to predict the lies? It was an interesting question I posed myself and found that even when I was right about one little lie, all the bi ...more
What Did You Think? 16 187 Oct 23, 2019 12:52AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney - Restarting May 19th 2019 55 243 Jun 05, 2019 07:53AM
Mental Health Boo...: May fiction - OCD- Sometimes I Lie 10 42 Jun 02, 2019 06:03AM
Play Book Tag: Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney - 4 Stars 5 21 Mar 22, 2019 12:14PM

• An Anonymous Girl
  • The Woman in the Window
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Mother-in-Law
  • An Unwanted Guest
Alice Feeney is an author and former BBC journalist. Her debut novel, Sometimes I Lie, was a New York Times and international bestseller. It has been translated into over twenty languages, and is being made into a TV series by Ellen DeGeneres and Warner Bros. starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Alice has lived in London and Sydney and has now settled in the Surrey countryside, where she liv
“Nana always said that books made better friends than people anyway. Books will take you anywhere if you let them, she used to say, and I think she was right.” 63 likes
“We are all made of flesh and stars, but we all become dust in the end. Best to shine while you can.” 51 likes