Start by marking “Vancouver: A novella (Wisdom Tree Book 3)” as Want to Read:
Vancouver: A novella (Wisdom Tree Book 3)

Vancouver: A novella

(Wisdom Tree #3)

October 2001.

Paul Coates is flying to Vancouver for a writers’ festival, but also to meet a giant from his past; Knut Knutsen, whose ruined shoulder dislocated with any serious throw. For a year while Paul’s father chased the dream of a pro football franchise, Knut lived in a flat under the family house, doing a writing degree by correspondence in his spare time, sending p
Published July 1st 2016 by Exciting Press

To ask other readers questions about Vancouver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vancouver

Deborah
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm continuing to love this series by Earls. I've already raved about his story-telling ability and this third novella in the Wisdom Tree series is no different.

Earls again gives us a character we can latch on to with author Paul - another likeable and very real protagonist (three for three...) - who's in Canada for a Writer's Festival and catches up with Knut Knutsen - a former gridiron player and wannabe writer who stayed with Paul's family in Brisbane when Paul was young.

The novella's set j
Julie
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If ever there was a series of novellas to take your breath away the one going under the collective names of the Wisdom Tree by Nick Earls is it. Vancouver is the third in the series and is about a writer meeting up with his childhood "giant" as an adult; beautiful character development and delicate observations about childhood, memory and time. Writing at its best. Do yourself a favour and buy the entire series - you'll want to keep them to read again.
Liz Cullinan
Oct 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible
Not interesting
Not interested in what he’s saying
Lia
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd novella in a five book series. A loosely inter-related collection. This was a lovely tale of a friendship that spans continents and decades. A sad and heartwarming tale. The novellas are good but I think the strength of the collection is how the stories are individual yet intertwined. Beautiful all round. #australian
Robin
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Nick Earls has done a fantastic job of blending and distilling so many observations and themes about society and relationships into a short yet profound work of art. It deals with childhood, ageing, dreams coming true and not coming true, success and failure. Lots of symbolism too with the giant metaphor, but always subtle, and deftly drawn and sympathetic characters.
Joshua Donellan
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed all the books in this series, but this was by far my favourite. It had a beautiful blend of the strange and the poetic, and captured the era (2001) beautifully.
Kamil
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great and unique addition to the Wisdom Tree series. This one gets rolling quickly with another memorable key character who, as in Gotham, is at once outlandish yet true to life. Although the story starts to run out of steam in the second half, the short novella format keeps it from stagnating.
Bill Kidd
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice. I wish I knew what happened to Knut's legs.
Theresa Wade
Jun 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Very slow and story idea is disconnected. It was difficult to keep focus on the story and I kept losing interest.
Heidi Hoff
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely story. I read it in one sitting.
Cathy Miers
Disappointing after the first two in the series. Too sad and slow for me
Kirsten
I felt like this 3rd instalment of the Wisdom Tree novella series lacked heart. And perhaps I was a bit detached from the subject matter this time around (a writer reminisces about a football playing giant from his boyhood). I did feel like it picked up a bit towards the end and I did bit of a double take when the protagonist talks about how pre-edited Raymond Carver stories had more heart than the edited versions (just as I was figuring out what was missing from this story).

In hindsight, maybe
Meredith Walker
Book three of the series and I am loving “The Wisdom Tree” stories. “Vancouver” is another perceptive story of the extraordinary things observations and events within the lives or relatively ordinary people. This time, it is Paul and his giant - a really, really tall athlete brought home by his father, who will influence his life in many ways. Fast forward to the future and the giant’s a professor at a US liberal arts college and the narrator’s a writer too, but when they meet, things aren’t ent ...more
Cass Moriarty
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, he's done it again. Vancouver, the third novella in Nick Earls' series of five, showcases the form in an easy to read length without sacrificing the story. Again, the narrative concerns human connections and what they mean to us over time. This book has it all: giants (real ones); stock market crashes and the after-effects; football; book contracts and the writing life; ageing; friendship; and the long pull of memories. In this tiny book is the microcosm of lives. I'm thinking that the who ...more
Felicity
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-copy
I have read this small novella out of context and desperately need to read the other four in The Wisdom Tree series. This simply written story got under my skin. The main character Knut, pronounced Noot, was indeed a gentle giant who, abruptly, had his life changed after a night of celebration. As a teenager his friend Paul looked on him as a hero, in later life, when they meet again at a writer's festival, Paul becomes acquainted with the broken life and the man his hero has become.
Corrina
Jul 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing.

Insufficient substance to justify more than a short story. Needed fierce editing. Strangely, or perhaps intentionally, a subject touched on in the book.

Also (taking this series as audio books) this voice actor was awful, forced and unnatural.

That said loved first two and on tenter hooks awaiting last couple.
Peter Pecksen
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting little read. It is the middle of a 5 book series so it would probably be more enjoyable if it were read in order. Still enjoyed it though.
Kate
Sep 28, 2017
Jenn
Apr 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nick Earls is the author of twelve books, including bestselling novels such as Zigzag Street, Bachelor Kisses, Perfect Skin and World of Chickens. His work has been published internationally in English and also in translation, and this led to him being a finalist in the Premier of Queensland’s Awards for Export Achievement in 1999.

Zigzag Street won a Betty Trask Award in the UK in 1998, and is cur

Wisdom Tree (5 books)
  • Gotham
  • Venice (Wisdom Tree Novella 2)
  • Juneau: Wisdom Tree 4