Start by marking “Genrenauts: The Complete Season One Collection (Genrenauts, #1-6)” as Want to Read:
Genrenauts: The Complete Season One Collection (Genrenauts, #1-6)

Genrenauts: The Complete Season One Collection

(Genrenauts #1-6)

When Stories Break, You Send in the Genrenauts!

Struggling stand-up comic Leah Tang is offered a once-in-a-lifetime chance to join the Genrenauts, a secret organization of dimensional travelers. Leah learns that our world is just one of many, and every other world is the home of a story genre — Science Fiction or Romance, Fantasy or Western — populated by archetypal charact
Published October 11th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Genrenauts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genrenauts

Michael Underwood
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This volume collects all six episodes from Genrenauts season one, starting with Leah joining the team in The Shootout Solution through the climactic season finale in The Failed Fellowship Part II.

If you like Redshirts, Leverage, or Quantum Leap, you will probably enjoy Genrenauts and its interdimensional story-heists.
Martin Spernau
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just reading the blurb for this series had me inspired for many fun packed RPG sessions. This weekend I finally got to read the actual novellas, and I read them all in almost one sitting.
Michael R. Underwood succeeds in giving each novella (or episode) in this first season a flavor specific and true to the genre of the story world the current action is set in.
It’s easy to relate to all of the major characters, and each found their own way into my heart. It’s especially interesting to see how th
Hobart
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Parallel to our world are various worlds populated by fictional characters in a wide variety of genres (Western, SF, Romance, etc), and when things go wrong in the stories, things go wrong in our world. For example, broken Romance world stories = higher divorce rates here. In this world, there are a number of teams of story specialists who shift to the other worlds to fix the stories and set things back on course here. Leah Tang -- a strugg
Shell S.
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I don't love about this utterly original series is having to wait for Season Two, instead of being able to binge it right away.

This series asks "What if you could travel into a story and become part of its solution?" (Who hasn't fantasized about that?) But then it asks "What if once the story has its 'hooks' in you, you might get drawn in too deep to leave?"

This series rewards you with pay-offs for every science fiction/epic fantasy/western/romantic comedy/detective procedural yo
TrishEM
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book for when you want something mostly lighthearted and fun, but with a few poignant moments to ground it with some emotional stakes. The concept of the Genrenauts going around and fixing snags in "story worlds" that reflect and influence our own was explored in delightful ways. Various genres have their tropes sketched out, exploited, and subverted, and it's all entertaining to see happen. Also, the episodic format made the book easy to fit into various gaps in my schedule wi ...more
Addison Smith
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the first three of these novellas as individual ebooks, and loved them enough to pick up the complete season. Michael R. Underwood is a nerd. A huge nerd. It's wonderful. He has the kind of eye for genre and trope that can only come from a deep love of the format. That love comes through as he riffs on the conventions of books and movies in a way that goes to the core of what a story really is, all while telling a story that is fun and engaging in itself.

Read this. You'll be glad you did.
Tom Sias
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is a lot of fun, and I look forward to more seasons in the future.

This book is squarely targeted toward those who enjoy exploring the tropes and narrative requirements of various fiction genres. The main cast are witty, plucky action-adventure heroes. The story worlds have interesting texture and rules, and the plot outside each individual world ties them together without overshadowing the individual stories.

Highly recommend this one for genre-fiction nerds who have a preference to
David Slayton
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books hit the sweet spot of geek culture and adventure

What if books weren't just stories? What if they came from somewhere? The idea of story explorers, setting out for other universes that we affect, and which in turn affect us, all through fiction, makes a great foundation on which Underwood builds pop references and a deeper understanding of stories to create a quick-paced batch of pulpy, quip-filled fun.

I'd recommend GENRENAUTS for any fan of Jim C. Hines' Libromancer series, to anyone
Ivy
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great grab for all lovers of fiction!

I was a huge fan of Geekomancy series and really wanted to read more from Underwood and this did not disappoint. Although I saw some similarities between the main character in these books and put the Geekomancy series they were different enough that it didn’t seem like a do over. I really appreciated the variety of genres and found them all to be very realistic. I also enjoyed getting all the references that were made, as a huge fan of science-fiction and fan
J.L.
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-2017
Sometimes, you find a published story that incorporates major elements of an idea you had once upon a time and you're disappointed, because now it's already "taken." But other times, you stumble across a story that's very similar to a vague idea you had back in high school and you're thrilled, because someone has already put all the work into your half-baked idea and you can just sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labors. Genrenauts is definitely the latter for me, and I had a blast reading ...more
William Tracy
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cool concept, and excellently executed by Underwood. There is not only a great meta-discussion on different types of stories and their structures, but also a lot of great character development through the whole season.
I also really appreciated the in-jokes about cliches in genre storytelling along the way. The characters are aware, and the reader is aware, which creates a quick bond with the characters.
Finally, there is a lot of very good diverse representation in this book, an
Steven
Wild ride of a collection of stories, each of which grapples with a genre and nothing feels out of place (for me anyways). Great characters, solid storytelling, and definitely a series I'd like to see continue on (especially given the ending of Ep6).
Impishfae
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Light and fun. Bringing the reader along on a self aware narrative poking fun at the tropes that drive so many of our favourite genres.
Erin
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Picked this up at ECCC, where Mary and I met the author - as soon as he started describing the premise, I knew I had to have it. Overall just a really fun read that doesn't take itself too seriously, with plenty of pop culture references to enjoy and a cast that is ridiculously diverse (I like it, but it almost feels like he's trying too hard here). Looking forward to season 2!
Adam Zabell
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alt-world
tl;dr - Not written with the pacing I love, but the characters feel real and for the first time I'm reading an ensemble cast without a single floor lamp among them.

I reviewed these novellas individually, but since Michael published them as an omnibus I wanted to mark this as well. Overall it's worth reading, but I'd start with episode two (Absconded Ambassador) so you can watch the characters in their element before restarting with the first one and its requisite "introduce your character to the
Stas
This is a fun engaging romp.
All Genrenauts are important and none of them are cardboard.

Though I do have complaints about writing. It's somewhat choppy, with halting flow. AND it could use some editing. (Editor is your best friend. Get them involved and watch reader satisfaction rising!)

That said, I am INVESTED.
That Raven witch? Is probably most definitely on the council. I WILL SEE HER HANGED.
Whoever is in charge of these weird happenings IS GOING TO SUFFER.

BRING IT!
Wordsmith
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read the parts of this "season" as they came out, and I enjoyed them all-- despite the fact that I neither watch nor read two of the represented genres. (Westerns and romance are just... not normally my thing. Mr. Underwood made them fun, despite my misgivings.)

In short, the Genrenauts is a series about a team of people (well, there are many teams, but the narrative only followed one) who can access archetypal "story worlds," which are broken down by genre, and then by subgenre. These story wo
Carre West
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genrenauts is just the kind of self-aware semi-meta fiction that I like. It made me feel smart to recognize the tropes being referenced, following the enjoyable banter of the characters with ease. I appreciate the diversity of characters, closer to a real hodgepodge of people and yet with the same feel of the Warehouse 13 crew. But I wouldn't call them normal - they all seemed a bit special, with thorough backstories (some of which is revealed) and inter-character relationships. The novella form ...more
Adam Woods
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I intrigued by the Meta nature of the story, but quickly came to care for the characters. I definitely enjoyed the two part arc in books 5&6 the most, but don't know if it was due to my favorite sub genre being explored or character arcs drawing to a climax.

Very glad I backed the Kickstarter.
Shocklanced
Aug 28, 2018
Jeanne
Mar 18, 2018
Gunks
Nov 06, 2017
Perry
Nov 19, 2017 marked it as couldnt-finish
Something about this just...didn't click with me. At all. Was slogging to get through it and eventually gave up.

Liked the concept. Maybe something about the execution?

Might try coming back to it at a later date.
David
Lester Spence
Dec 20, 2018
Vincent
Feb 28, 2019
Support Mike's writing at https://www.patreon.com/michaelrunder...

Mike's books include:

Genrenauts - a r/Fantasy Stabby Award-finalist science fiction adventure series in novellas. A group of storytellers travel between dimensions to the worlds where genres live to fix broken stories. Starts with The Shootout Solution. Collections available: Genrenauts - The Complete Season One

The Ree Reyes urban

Genrenauts (6 books)
  • The Shootout Solution (Genrenauts, #1)
  • The Absconded Ambassador (Genrenauts, #2)
  • The Cupid Reconciliation (Genrenauts, #3)
  • The Substitute Sleuth (Genrenauts, #4)
  • The Failed Fellowship (Genrenauts, #5-6)
  • The Data Disruption (Genrenauts, #0)