Start by marking “Swimmer Boy (Fairmont Boys, #1)” as Want to Read:
Swimmer Boy (Fairmont Boys, #1)

Swimmer Boy

(Fairmont Boys #1)

Liam Green is a sixteen-year-old boy who has just moved to Fairmont with his family. On his first day in his new high school, he falls for Alex, a handsome jock on the swim team. Alex does not seem to be gay, but that does not end Liam’s obsession with him. Fate pushes the boys together, and they become friends—until Liam’s secret is revealed. Swimmer Boy is a story about ...more
136 pages
Published (first published February 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Swimmer Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimmer Boy

☆ Todd
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mine, jocks

Oh my God. No.

The writing in the story was insanely... simplistic.

The majority of the book was telling, not showing.

The characters felt 17 years old, going on 13.

There was no resolution to Alex's bullying friends' ultimatum about him staying on the swim team, his scholarship, etc.

The straight swimmer boy, Alex, had zero gay thoughts at all for the first 99% of the story. Not a single one, then after one erection at the 11th hour, he has a total out-of-the-blue epiphany that he likes Liam.

Not b
Michael
Jun 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-themed
I did not like this book, but it was free.

I think the writing was full of exposition, explanation, and countless extraneous material without a full fledged vision. I thought if the author had used first person narrative and made it about Liam from his perspective it would have been easier to explore.

Instead, it switches around but never gets you into Alex’s head in a real way, especially to prepare for that sudden flip flop ending. See spoiler (view spoiler)
Joe Hayes
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
An easy read about a gay teen making a good friend. The story is simple and clean, and it's nice to see a book about gay teens that's not bogged down with too much nasty stuff. The coming out scene was a tad cringey, not on the same level as what was shown in stories such as Call Me By Yoir Name and Simon vs. The Homosapiens Agenda. Apart from that, a nice story.
Furio
Aug 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
This is simply not a narrative. Although writing is grammatically correct and even fairly fluid, this work never takes off as a story but it reads like a report/assignment/page of a diary.
Kathy - Books & Munches
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
Triggers: homophobia, bullying

This is a hard one to review, namely because I hate writing more.. negative reviews on own-voice books and this is one of those.

Swimmer Boy follows two guys, one of which is gay and the other assumes he's straight but starts discovering and realizing otherwise.

The idea of this novel is definitely one I totally love; the actual story is one I applaud but the execution was extremely lacking in my opinion.

Conversations felt forced, unnecessary drama was added all the t
Faye Kennedy
Not for me ...  The story is about coming out at 16 with school yard bullies picking on the weaker boys. Unfortunately that was Liam who was their target.  I couldn't continue with this as Alex just sat back and watched the bully Sam pick on him.  I totally agree with Todd's review on this one. A few typos included.  Luckily this was a freebie from book bub..
Liam 16 had moved to a town and started a new high school.
Alex appeared to be straight but is he...  he was also friends with Sam and oth
Benedikt  (Benesbookblast)
The writting is very simplistic. The POV is little jumpy for me and hard to follow by times. The end was a little the weird in my opinion. Some things in the book were just unbelievable. 2/5
Ralph Gallagher
Boring. I literally fell asleep reading this and just couldn't give two shits about either of the characters. It felt like the author was trying to poetic with their prose but it all came across as flat and uninteresting.
Chucky
Sep 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, m-m-romance
Good god that was painful!!!

I only finished it because it was short & I was determined to not DNF.
The only positive thing I can say about this book is the photo of the hottie on the cover.

Can I give negative stars PLEEEEZE!!!
Brian
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, lgbt, romance
This is the story of two somewhat typical teens. One who knows he is gay and the other who slowly realizes he is. There is A quick read, nicely written with a happy ending but some trouble along the way. Some of the minor characters are supporting, some abusive.
I had some questions that haven't been answered. What happened to Matthew? Is he alright? Why didn't Alex see Sam's problems before they so quickly went awry? The story is rather straightforward, with sudden leaps and I expect more chara
Tim Trent
I wanted to like it. I like to encourage gay teen romance authors whenever I can. Regrettably I couldn't get further than 40% of the way through before bailing. I'm sorry, I tried.

There are some areas which would help it

* Time Jumps: put a divider in, not just white space
* Tropes like Jocks: just tell us once the guy is a jock. We'll remember. It's a cliché, though
* Unresolved things: if they don't add to the plot, leave them out, but if there's a train wreck and your main character appears fit
Ron-michael
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, on the plus side, there was only one typo. The characters were easy to keep straight. And it was free...
On the other hand, way too many questions were left unanswered, and I cant really tell whether I care about the answers anyway. This took longer to read than it should have, but that was mostly because I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes. It seemed every paragraph was a contradiction. "It was a beautiful morning, but all he could think about was the darkness" kind of thing. Also, every
Patrick
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
For what this book is of a coming to age romance and acceptance of being gay, this book did hit it's mark. The two main leads did find that path. For the supporting characters they did fill in the correct boxes for being homophobes and bigets to supporting and caring. So that was nice to have. And yes you have people teasing and harassing the new gay kid. So those parts are all true.

What I found hard to come to terms with like many of the other reviewers was the simplistic language and lack of v
ChrisVigilante
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-romance
This was so unbelievable and the character's voices were so meh. Liam's immediate obsession with Alex was offputting. Liam was offputting in general really. Obsession is offputting. Like the way that Liam thought from the first moment, he saw Alex was already too much. Alex's gay revelation comes out of nowhere. Really far into the story too. The writing wasn't great either. Just a lot fo telling and not showing. I'm surprised I finished this one. There were major jumps in the story that was off ...more
Jack Johnson
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book based on the description and that fact that unlike so many gay romance books it was written by a male. As I started reading I was filled with disappointment. But I said to myself--"Myself, take it for what it is and don't project anything onto the story that is not there". When I did this the book became what is is--a simple story of young adults written in a simple manner. Yes, other reviews have valid comments and complaints but seem to be looking at the book as some ...more
Dale
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
While I liked the story, the writing made it painful to read. Thoughts were all over the place. Jumped from one topic to another without a break. And the ending...well pretty hard to believe. If it had worked up to the conclusion that would be one thing but *bang* there it is in the last two pages.

Since this was free and the second book is as well, going to try the second book and may come back to change my 2 star rating.

Jeff
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked Jay Argent's book, Swimmer Boy-- and have already started book #2. A couple things the 'adults' should keep in mind.... this is a YA title ... and teens don't always think, plan, act and react methodically like adults 'claim' to do. That said, this is why it was easy for me to accept some of the unevenness in the story. Overall though, I thought it was good.
Melba Turner
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good

I enjoyed the book and felt sympathetic towards Liam and the fact he was hesitant to reveal his sexuality. Most teens have been under pressure such this and the ease of how the writer made the outcome was great. I wouldn’t change a thing about this story and recommend it to anyone who is struggling with their own issues.
Coenraad
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick, light read, suitable for younger readers who will benefit from seeing a gay high school student depicted positively in a narrative not bogged down by padding. There is one red herring that was rather upsetting - but you'll have to find it yourself!

Argent se boek is lig en kort - leesaas vir lui lesers wat by die positiewe uitbeelding van 'n gay karakter kan baat vind.
Alex
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story is written very vivid, I felt like I moved along with both Alex and Liam. Without any explicit exposure and naughty style, he author shows us their feelings, emotions and fears. Definitely, the only deficiency of this book is that it's too short.
Kk
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Huh...

I kept thinking there would be more...I don't know...something? The content was more juvenile then I am accustomed to reading. Simple plot with a slight cliffhanger ending...

Isnt the best but nor is it the worst
F Bauerle
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What we all went through!

What we all went through or most of us in our teen years. Nothing racy just a clean romance, kinda first love story. Two typical teens who happen to be gay. Nicely written with a happy ending.
Andrew
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
i am new to Jay Argent's work and so far I am intrigued. I enjoyed this read and felt that the characters leaned more toward realistic rather than the super characters typical of another writer's work. I await book #2 in the Fairmont series, it is on its way. I hope to be a new fan...
Gordon
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
Although the theme of the story, a gay nerdy teen falling for a high school jock, is hardly new, the main characters are sympathetically drawn and the writing is involving. A short but enjoyable read.
Shawn Willemse
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-lesbian
it was ok... just can see how the simmer jock came out to Liam in the last part of the book....there was no build up to it.... just a wam-bang." I guess it likes you, " Alex said shyly." Actually, I'm sure it likes you, and I like you,too"" .

Maybe if I finish with book 2 I will like it more.
Ricardo
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nothing much to set this short book from thousands of others. Predictable script, a whole book to build up the plot and then resolution in the last 10 pages. I particularly did not like the abrupt ending
Shana
Aug 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
I felt that the writing was weak. I weirdly felt distanced from the characters in the story. I didn't feel the emotion build even though dramatic situations occurred, so I just did not feel the love or really even much interest especially on the part of one of the characters.
Casee
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was

It was cute, some of the boys were complete jackasses about Liam being gay, which I suppose would be the normal but they still ticked me off quite a bit but I overall enjoyed it.
Ike Rose-author
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very moving

This is an excellent novel about teens learning about love.
It just happens that one of them is a gay kid who just moved into town, and the object of his lust is the captain of the swim team.
Rachel Seumalo
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little stiff, but good

The story was well structured. Not a lot of flow to it though. I liked the two main characters mostly.

• Me and Mine
  • Caffeine for a Marine
  • This Charming Man (Queen City Boys, #1)
  • The Moon's Dirty Light (Werewolves of Baltimore #1)
  • The Way You Are
  • Untouchable Beauty (The Cubi, #1)
  • The Beach House (San Capistrano #1)
  • The One for Me
  • Something Waiting in the Dark (Demon Bonded #1)
  • Hanging Loose
  • Where I Am Now
  • The Coming Storm (Shifting Reality #1)
  • Alpha's Destiny (Texas Heat #1)
  • Jonah's Compass (Delta Force: Team Panther #1)
  • Always (Always #1)
  • LETTUCE!
  • Equipoise (Ennek #3)
  • To Kill an Armchair Husband: A Dark Comedy
Jay Argent is a novelist in his forties who lives a peaceful life with his husband. His favorite hobbies are music, movies, and romantic novels. He obtained a degree in engineering in 2001 and started his career in a management consulting firm. Right now, he is pursuing his true passion of writing.

Fairmont Boys (5 books)
  • I am Not Gay (Fairmont Boys, #2)
  • You Are Not My Son (Fairmont Boys, #3)
  • The Death of the Good Guy (Fairmont Boys, #4)
  • Best Friends Forever (Fairmont Boys, #5)
“Why do some people behave like we still live in the Middle Ages?” 0 likes