Start by marking “At the Edge (Metal Boxes #4)” as Want to Read:
At the Edge (Metal Boxes #4)

At the Edge

(Metal Boxes #4)

Ensign Stone’s goals were to make his way in the empire’s navy, make his family proud of him, and make love to his fiancée. No matter which way he turned, someone was conspiring against him. Disgraced and humiliated, he is court-martialed, discharged, and abandoned.

Accepting what he thinks is a lowly busy-work position on a beat up old family business space freighter
Published September 30th 2016 by CreateSpace

Start your review of At the Edge (Metal Boxes #4)
Dianne
Stone has gone from a bumbling young man who seemed to always end up on his feet, no matter what to a much more mature and “kind of” worldly man who has seen more, accomplished more and experienced more than men three times his age. Through it all, he has kept his honor, looked on the bright side and given his all in everything he does, including being “Momma” to two large and powerful drascos. When life threw him lemons, he made lemonade. When he fell in love, he fell hard and fast. Imagine his ...more
Tony Hinde
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed when no one took a less murderous approach to the Hyrocanians after learning the true cause of their behavior. It took five minutes to find a solution for affected humans, but nothing was done for the "enemy."

Also, Stone's cousin constantly acted like a spoiled child, even getting one of her party killed at one point, but he didn't even mention it to her, much less confront the issue.

I'm worried that the lack of moral direction detracts from the heroism that the
Nate Thern
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series - Metal Boxes, Trapped Outside, Rusty Hinges and At the Edge (this book) - is good popcorn YA sci-fi. And it is solidly YA, despite little mention of that fact. In fact, compared to The Hunger Games this is pretty happy-go-lucky stuff. When read with the right mindset it's extremely enjoyable; just don't expect scientific explanations, character development, or an especially logical universe. This multitude of literary sins is all exculpated by the pacing and the fun story. ...more
Kristoffer
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was great. I hope that another book in the series is written. This book kind of wrapped up one major story line, but it did leave plenty of potential for future stories. It has been several years since this was written though, so I am not too optimistic about a new book happening. I recommend this book and the whole series regardless of whether more books come out in the series.
scott jones
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun series

Thank you Mr black for this series. I am 52 and have read thousands of books in my 40 plus years of reading. This is one of my favorite series and this is the third time I have read it. Fun simple easy read. Mr black i would expand on the characters and write other books.
Anna
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Straight updownstre science fiction

Total science fiction and nothing else there. Great story line easy to follow with a few technical details to follow with the story.
Marshall Clowers
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very, very pleased

Blackman Stone: arrested and tried for various crimes against the empire, just for doing his best to stay alive? Given the regulations and burocracy, it's pretty easy to do... It has occurred to some of the higher-ups that somewhere, humanity has been aiding the enemy. And Stone is sent out to find out the how and why of it.
Tony Hisgett
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I know the author wanted to set up a particular story in this book, but the way he did this wasn’t very good. In fact I found the start of this book so stupid as to be beyond belief. Had I not already invested so much of my time in reading the other three books in this series I would have just given up.
My solution was to just ignore the first dozen or so chapters and hope the story would improve when Stone reached the Platinum Pebble. Unfortunately we then got Beffie-pie and her entourage, you
Serge
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Much as I enjoyed all four "Metal Boxes" books, I was often hard to read due to numerous grammar and punctuation errors. I've mentioned before that the author managed to spell "hangar" correctly (for some reason, most of his SF writing colleagues never achieve that), but... "compliment" instead of "complement," "prosperous" instead of "phosphorus"; missing commas, commas where there shouldn't be any... Perhaps, after working for more than a quarter of a century in publishing, I can't help but ...more
Nicholas Kropp II
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Slow start but finished well

The first few chapters are a bit slow, but once the real story gets moving its the usual action packed series of progressively catastrophic events. The events of this book take a big step toward deepening the universe of the upcoming stories and address the issues of the military command structure that has been over played over the course of the prior books. Overall a solid addition to the series and an enjoyable light read for sci fi fans.
Darrin L.
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent Continuation of the Series

Author does a great job of moving the story forward. Old and new characters add great depth to the story and continue to show good depth. My only complaint is that there was not enough Drascos in the story.
I look forward to the next book in the series.
Shane Benson
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great edition to the series.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the series. I look forward to the next book. I think the latest revelation on who might be the true enemy was a fresh take.
Derek
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is official

This guy writes a good story. It is fun to read and experience these books. Alan Black is one of the best story tellers I have read. I almost like him almost as much as my favorite author...John Dalmas
Wanda binz
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

This another great book in this series. The story just keep you wanting more. Truly exciting story action packed. Like I said keeps you wanting more. To the author keep writing these great books and I'll keep reading them.
Sittingduck
Nov 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF
Duncan Holland
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great series

Miles Vorkosigan move over a new child of an empire is trying to be heard. Great story telling an flow from book 1 onwards. Black get back writing need more.
Angela Higgins
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great third book

Stone is in deep again as his family and friend rally around him. Can he beat a force sent from god? Find out in this page turner.
Mark Zodda
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but probably the weakest of the four books in the series. If a fifth book is published I plan to read it.
Anne
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
entertaining.... It's a great pace and story for a weekend retreat. I love the characters and how can you not love P & J. Thank you for another saga in "Trey" Stone's adventures.
Jesse Deleon
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Will there be more?

Will there be more only Alan Black can say . Hopefully the answer will be yes. The left it open.
Richard Griffiths
STEVEN BARONE
Oct 10, 2016
Jeremy
Aug 25, 2017

• Salvage Title (The Salvage Title Trilogy Book 1)
  • Effie
  • Homefront: An Expeditionary Force Audio Drama Special (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Odyssey (The Stork Tower, #2)
  • CO-OP (Animus, #2)
  • Change (The Stork Tower, #3)
  • Rescue (The Stork Tower, #4)
  • Initiate (Animus, #1)
  • Ship's Log (The Alliance Book 1)
  • Fortress of Shadows (Stonehaven League, #2)
  • The Daily Struggles of an Immortal (Immortal Supers Book 1)
  • Brace For the Wolves (Challenger's Call Book 2)
  • Dragon Emperor
  • Ipseity (The Stork Tower, #5)
  • Nascent (The Stork Tower, #1)
  • First Login (The World #1)
  • Temple of Sorrow (Stonehaven League #1)
  • Genesis (The Alliance Book 3)
Author of
sci/fi
Christian/Historical Fiction
Action/Humor
Western

Metal Boxes (4 books)
  • Metal Boxes (Metal Boxes #1)
  • Trapped Outside (Metal Boxes #2)
  • Rusty Hinges (Metal Boxes #3)