Start by marking “A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting (Babysitter's Guide to Monsters, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting (Babysitter's Guide to Monsters, #1)

A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting

(Babysitter's Guide to Monsters #1)

The Last Kids on Earth meets Goosebumps in this hilarious new series about a secret society of babysitters who protect kids from the monsters that really do live under their beds!

When middle schooler Kelly Ferguson’s Halloween plans switch from party-going to babysitting, she thinks the scariest part of her night will be the death of her social life. But then Baby Ja
Published June 20th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

Ms. Yingling
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Kelly desperately wants to attend Camp Miskatonic-- she's overhead Deanna, head of the Princess Pack at her school talk about it, and it sounds awesome. The problem? It costs $4,000 to go for the summer, and Kelly's family is struggling financially. She has managed to raise $3,000 by doing various chores for neighbors, but still has a way to go. When her friend Tammy suggests babysitting, Kelly is reluctant to look into that activitiy. When he
Mehsi
Watch out monsters, watch out Grand Guignol, these babysitters won't let you get away with your evil, vile plans!

Babysitters, just like cheerleaders, are often found in horror books and movies. Generally though they just die by the dozen in screams and blood. But not these babysitters. Oh no, these babysitters kick some serious butt and aren't afraid to face creepy monsters. Not if it means saving the kids they are babysitting (and some other kids if needed).

Our main girl
Amber
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
Kelly Ferguson takes a babysitting job to raise money to go to Summer camp Miskatonic. When the boy she is babysitting gets kidnapped by the boogeyman known as The Grand Guignol, she calls for the assistance of babysitter Liz Lerue for help in saving little Jacob from the boogeyman's clutches. Can they save him before midnight on Halloween? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good horror middle grade read that is perfect to read during All Hallow's read. If you
Dayla
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This was fun! I love the message of being true to yourself and not just following the crowd. There were some creepy bits that were pretty great.

I'll definitely be recommending this one to my younger customers!
Mark Buxton
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My name is Kelly, and I've lost a little boy on my first babysitting job. He was taken by one of his nightmare monsters (yeah, I didn't believe in them either), so I called his regular sitter Liz. She's a babysitting, ninja monster hunter! It's all my fault Jacob was taken, but I don't know how to help. Liz keeps telling me to read the handbook, but I know she really thinks I'm a whiny loser. Our search for Jacob leads us to the huge, eighth-grade Halloween party. OMG, Victor's there, and he's l ...more
Liza
DNFed at page 140.

Why am I reviewing a book I didn't even make it to the halfway point? Well maybe because I'm still riding the salty way of my dislike of P5 even after putting in 40 hours(I know, I'm in the minority). Also my salt with how Minako is considered non-canon and she gets nothing.

ANYWAY.

So this book suffers from:

1. Kelly loses a kid and her first thought was about getting paid(sure but..MONSTERS)
2. She HAS to join in on the quest to save the kid. These other kids
Sarah Hay
Kelly wants nothing more than to make enough money to send herself to summer camp. To meet her goal she has taken many odd jobs and for this reason decides to take a babysitting job for her moms boss even though Kelly dislikes kids and taking the job means missing a big party. When monsters kidnap Kelly's charge she gets into much more than she bargained for and meets a secret society of babysitters who fight monsters.
Great for kids looking for creepy/scary books.
Good for ages 10 and
Melissa
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maxine Livingstone
Kelly main character is very annoying. The story is a great Halloween read for all ages. Filled with action and adventure this book is a fun read. The one thing that stood out to me were that these young children must face his/her fears in order to defeat the monster; that is what thew children do in order to save the world. I will be continuing with this series.
Sierra
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a FANTASTICALLY entertaining book! I cannot wait to share this with a girl I know who is just getting into the ‘Goosebumps’ books, she will love this!

Main character Kelly Ferguson is in middle school and has been working hard at earning money to go to camp, which is high dollar. Kelly’s life changes in flash one Halloween, when she is asked to babysit instead of going to a Halloween Party with a friend. Disappointment and a tug between earning money for camp or hanging out w
Anisa
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tween
6 grade and up; Goosebumps fans will love it.
Krista Ivy
A creepy opening chapter that gets you ready for some babysitting action.
Kari
A silly adventure. Fun enough for middle schoolers.
Liz Hoffman
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to read with my 9-year-old. Just enough humor to keep my attention & enough action to hold my son captivated!
Rosemary Sullivan
Joe Ballarini, the author of "A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting," does not want his readers to be monster food. In the dedication, he writes, "Just so you know, hiding under the covers can't stop monsters from eating you. In fact, that just makes you look like a delicious, tasty burrito. Didn't know that, did you? See? This book is for you."

This bit of sage advice was not part of the uncorrected proof that I won through Goodreads Giveaways. (I checked out the final version from the li
Josh Newhouse
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 17july
Another fantastic debut from the chuckle-worthy dedication to the final confrontation! Buffy just got a worthy successor!
kerrycat
The Babysitter's Club meets Goosebumps (with a much greater word count) - should be a good fit for readers in the target group who enjoy age-appropriate horror with a dose of humor.
Sue Poduska
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vivid descriptions and imaginative scenarios are highlighted in this exciting tale. With strong characters and strong themes of fighting your fears, this story is great for middle grades, but maybe not for the very young or very nervous. It certainly is a lot of fun.
C. L.
Bailed 1/3rd of the way through. That rarely happens for me, but man, life is too short for a protagonist whose first thought when the toddler she's watching gets kidnapped is how she's not gonna get paid. And, no, that's not a one-off. Not recommended.
What I wanted from A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting was babysitting Buffy. What I got instead was pure Dawn.

Kelly Ferguson, whose main ambition in life is to spend her summer at WASP-paradise Camp Miskatonic - which, by the way, would probably end up a lot more non-Euclidean geometry and and a lot less horseback riding that she expects based on that name. Unfortunately, Kelly may never find out what indescribable horrors or rousing campfire ditties lurk at Camp M, as she's nearly a t
Tracey
Should be a hit with the target audience.
Andrew (reads books)
I thought this book was so much fun and very entertaining, I could not put it down!! This was supposed to get me out of a reading slump/hangover but I think it put me into one!! I recommend this book to everyone this was a juvenile book but it would also very much entertaining for the YA (YOUNG ADULT) audience!! I love this book, it is a fun,scary,and cozy book! it might be impossible not to read it in one sitting.
Ben dupan
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting was an exciting,thrilling and mysterious book. From the beginning to the end it kept me on my toes! With the adventures of kelly and liz on their journey to find jacob and battle toadies, clowns and ghostly shadow monster.

while kelly is helping liz and the secret society of babysitters she is wanting to go to the best halloween party ever and to see her crush. But she knows if she does the boogie man will take over the world.
Meg Ryan
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book caught my attention when I was in the sorting room placing books from the bins onto the trolley carts and I browsed through it a little bit, curiousity rised in me and the very next day I decided to check it out along with a few books I had on hold. So on Labor Day, there wasn't much going on since there was a Godzilla marathon on Comet-SO why not read while multitasking watching a day-long marathon of Godzilla movies by checking this book out.

Let me be honest with you AND
Heidi
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Eighth-grader Kelly has a goal: make enough money to go to a fancy summer camp. She's getting close to her goal but after working several jobs that she hasn't enjoyed, she's looking for something new to help her earn money. When her friend suggests babysitting, Kelly isn't really excited about the idea, she doesn't like kids after all. But anything for camp, so she agrees, and within the day her new status is posted on social media. But when a job for her mother's 'ice queen' boss comes up that ...more
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Kelly just wants to make some money to go to what she thinks is going to be an awesome camp, but it cost $4,000 and her parents can't afford it. So she has undertaken all sorts of jobs and she is only about a thousand off her goal. She just doesn't know what else to do to earn money and then her friend suggest babysitting.

Kelly is not so sure about babysitting as she is not really a kid person, but she does want to go to that  camp. Her friend fixes her an ad and it gets shared to a
Gina
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mid-grade readers & older
I received a free print copy of this book from Goodreads. Thanks! This is a fast-paced fantasy/mystery book for mid-grade readers as well as adults. It was an interesting and enjoyable read.

The main character, Kelly, is a timid, meek, and "invisible" (her words) girl who wants more than anything to be part of the popular group. She believes a summer at a certain camp will get her there by helping her find her truth. Only she needs money, lots of money, to pay for it. She's earned all but the l
Christine
I struggled to get past the introduction three times before forcing myself to continue reading because this book is on the Texas Library Association's Lone Star list. One professional review compared this book to my beloved Baby-Sitters Club series, which I resent. The BSC would never let a child get kidnapped. And if they did, they would worry about getting the child back instead of whether or not they would get paid. I do think it would benefit the BSC to have a club member in the monster hunting so ...more
Sara Strand
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was SO FUN!!! I grew up with R.L. Stine as my favorite author and the Goosebumps series was just becoming a thing so had this been out when I was a kid, I would have been all over it. My own kids (well, the two that can read) are big fans of Goosebumps so I wanted my daughter to read this right after me so I could get her opinion and she absolutely adored it.

The book centers around Kelly, who finds herself babysitting Baby Jacob (against her will) and she's certain this is going to be
Taryn
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen-year-old Kelly Ferguson decides to babysit to save up money for camp, but ends up being roped into a secret society! Kelly is an 'invisible': a kid who just isn't popular, but longs to be. On her first night as a babysitter, the kid she was babysitting, Jacob, is taken by the monsters under his bed for the boogeyman's evil plot. After frantically contacting his normal babysitter Liz, who had canceled that night, she learns that a secret society of babysitters that fight against the mons ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Lost Legacy (The Supernormal Sleuthing Service, #1)
  • A Properly Unhaunted Place
  • Creature Keepers and the Hijacked Hydro-Hide
  • Spirit Hunters
  • Do Not Open!
  • The 13th Horseman
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Big Fright
  • The World's Greatest Detective
  • Gustav Gloom and the Four Terrors (Gustav Gloom, #3)
  • The Greatest Gift (Heartwood Hotel, #2)
  • Monster High: Freaky Fusion The Junior Novel
  • The Mechanical Mind of John Coggin
  • Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
  • Mutant Bunny Island
  • Dirt
  • De Griezelbus 5
  • One Beastly Beast: Two Aliens, Three Inventors, Four Fantastic Tales

Babysitter's Guide to Monsters (3 books)
  • A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting: Beasts & Geeks (Babysitter's Guide to Monsters, #2)
  • A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting #3: Mission to Monster Island (Babysitter's Guide to Monsters, #3)