Start by marking “Chicken in School” as Want to Read:
Chicken in School

Chicken in School

(Zoey the Chicken)

Join Zoey the chicken for a tour of her unusual classroom in this celebration of creativity, friendship, and tasty snacks. When Zoey decides to turn the barn into a school and become a teacher, everyone in the barnyard learns that the best part of school is using your imagination.

From the hilarious author-illustrator duo that brought you Chicken in Space, this story about p
Published June 20th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Chicken in School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken in School

Start your review of Chicken in School
Sara Grochowski
This is an excellent choice for back-to-school reading, especially for Pre-K through Grade 1. Chicken is a delightful character.
Abigail
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed 'Chicken in Space'
Shelves: picture-books
Zoey the chicken and her best friend Sam the pig return in this follow-up to their initial adventure, Chicken in Space , and once again, everyone's favorite galline heroine has a plan! Responding to Sam's desire to go to school, just like the children on the farm, Zoey sets up her own classroom in the barn, and soon Sam, Pip the mouse, Clara the cow and Henry the dog are enrolled. Education is never dull, when a chicken is running the school...

Like its predecessor, Chicken in School pairs a hu
Mary
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this book better than other school books that have come out lately.
Jess Verzello
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a creative twist and insight to school! I love the finding adventures and building imagination messages integrated into this simple story. Great for any library or classroom!
Becky
First sentence: Zoey wasn't at all like the other chickens. And that's how Sam liked it. "Where are the kids going?" asked Zoey. "It's the first day of school," said Sam. "I've always wanted to go to school..." "You have?" asked Zoey. "Yes!" said Sam. "There are snacks at school."

Premise/plot: Zoey and Sam are back for another adventure. (The first picture book starring these two farm friends was Chicken in Space.) Zoey has plans to open a school. There is great interest among the animals (Sam,
Nicola
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

What a fun book! The farmyard animals are jealous the kids get to go to school and create their own school (which also has them thinking about what school means to them). We've read some of the author's other books and enj
Bethe
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
bookaday #79. Lots of fun on the first day of school on the farm - this might be the first read aloud of the year - will get the students thinking about what school is really about - building community! #TeamPip
Victoria Irons
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous
This is a cute story young readers love to hear. The farm animals want to go to school and this happy story shares their version of what school is like. It could be used as a cute way of seeing what the kids think of school and what their ideal day of school would look like.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very silly book. Chicken wants to go to school so she makes her own in the barn. The animals join her and pretend to have school. On the longer side so it would be better for an elementary read aloud.
Esutterlin
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good for Back to School program - animals going to school anticipate snacks, but have a lot of fun with what they are learning.
Large, simple illustrations, easy to see.
Friendship lesson in the book-- and positive about having fun learning and using their imaginations.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Barnyard animals are curious about school. Zoey the chicken has an idea and scurries off to create a school in the barn. A fun and silly picture book that is an abbreviated school day.

Reviewed from a library copy.

2018 storytime theme: Back to School
Kelly
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zoey (a chicken) and Sam (a pig) want to go school along with the little kids. So they come up with a plan to create their own school on the farm. The other farm animals join in. Each has their favorite part of school.

It is a neat book that would be good for those children starting school.
Olivia Slykhuis
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Womp womp. This was a disappointment. I thought it would be funny and cute and clever. It was a very boring take on a chicken running a classroom for the other barnyard animals. Trying to be more imaginative and inspiring than it is. Not worth bothering with.
Kelly
I liked the text and the illustrations. It was a very cute farm/school story.
Chris
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first graders got a kick out of this. Well done.
Jill
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zoey is back with a new plan! She is just as creative and out of the box as in Chicken in Space. She is annoyingly lovable (at least to Clara...)

Would be great for a school-themed storytime!
Becky Ransberger
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Would be good for a child starting school or a supplement for storytime about school.
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A happy book about the charms of school.
Savannah
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5
Marissa Elera
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chickens, school, humorous
"She went back for her pig."
Mary Ann
perfect for kids who love to play school. full of joy as it celebrates the creative, inclusive side of school.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Barnyard education.
Tracie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Chicken's version of school includes lessons like crayons are for creating adventures!
Kym
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Simple book about going back to school.
Wish it had a little something else.
Illustrations are nice.
MaryLibrarianOH
Zoey the chicken starts her own school for the farm animals. They don't always agree about what school should be but they do agree there should be books and crayons.
Robin
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet, playful way to introduce kids to the idea of school. Not quite the standout that Chicken in Space is, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Jennybeast
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, zany, and I like the sneaky STEAM/ math stuff. Nicely played.
Virginia
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read-aloud for preschool classes. If you liked Minerva Louise, you'll LOVE Zoey--a sweet, albeit sometimes misguided chicken--and her best pig, Sam.
Andrea
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a cute going-to-school story that encourages creative thinking and dramatic play!
Melissa
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute book about school and differing perspectives.

I can see parents getting it for kindergartners or 1st graders.

The artwork isn't anything amazing or unique, but is well done.

~Disclaimer I received this book for free~
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• I'm Smart!
  • The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
  • The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • I Love You Like a Pig
  • Be Quiet!
  • And the Robot Went . . .
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book
  • The Antlered Ship
  • The Rough Patch
  • XO, OX: A Love Story
  • I Need a New Bum!
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • School's First Day of School
  • Big Cat, Little Cat
  • Dragons Love Tacos
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, Please: Open This Book!, Chicken in Space (A six book series: Book 2 Chicken in School lands June 20, 2017), I Will Not Eat You and the upcoming I Don't Draw, I Color (March 21, 2016), Wordplay (July 2017), Idea Jar (Fall 2017), and This is a Good Story (Spring, 2018). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Broadway, and lived on a communal farm. He firmly ...more

Zoey the Chicken (6 books)
  • Chicken in Space