Start by marking “Streampunks: YouTube and the Rebels Remaking Media” as Want to Read:
Streampunks: YouTube and the Rebels Remaking Media

Streampunks: YouTube and the Rebels Remaking Media

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
An entertainment and tech insider—YouTube’s chief business officer—delivers the first detailed account of the rise of YouTube, the creative minds who have capitalized on it to become pop culture stars, and how streaming video is revolutionizing the media world.

In the past ten years, the internet video platform YouTube has changed media and entertainment as profoundly as th
Published September 5th 2017 by HarperBusiness

To ask other readers questions about Streampunks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Streampunks

Nicole
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has even the slightest interest in YouTube, from its beginnings, to its growth, to its creators, and to the way it has radically changed media delivery and consumption. YouTube CBO Robert Kyncl’s perspective as someone who has been in the video landscape for years is really valuable to this book, and his completely honest account of YouTube’s accomplishments, shortcomings, and goals is a really enjoyable and interesting read.
Erik Surewaard
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is NOT a book on the history of YouTube. It instead descirbes several topics that are relevant for Youtube its current positioning. It includes discussions on e.g. its revenue model, its function as a music platform, ...

It would have been better in case the content would have been structured in more defined topics. Currently, it is not a coherent story in my opinion - it jumps all around.

Very nice read though if you want to get an idea of youtube as it stands today.
Olivia Ambrose
I spend a lot of time on YouTube. I'm a long-time Nerdfighter, loyal Theorist, and devoted member of many other online communities. So for me, this book written by the Chief Business Officer at YouTube was really fascinating. It looks at the careers of YouTubers and the way that they and YouTube in general are changing the world and the way we view media. Well worth a read for anyone who watches a lot of YouTube - and perhaps even more so if you don't.
Anosh
Jan 09, 2018 added it
(I work at Youtube so I don’t want to comment on the content)
“Streampunks” is not going to happen. The author should stop trying to make Streampunks happen.
Megan Staunton
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book - as a large consumer of YouTube content I found the stories interesting and relatable. I’m excited to see how YouTube continues to evolve in shaping the future of media.
Steve Wilcockson
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
While the concept of the book is there to celebrate the rise of YouTubers and digital video medium and trying to put the content created on the same level as all other media, such as movies, TV and traditional news programming the book falls down by coming across too much like a corporate brochure to promote Youtube.

The stories of all the new moguls obsess over their gain in wealth and stature. The casual mentions of designer brands and watches being worn by the interviewees show the book to be
Melody
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this up on a whim and have loved it. I tend to like business books where they converge with new media and marketing and/or larger social trends. This really hits everything. It's fascinating because I have very much grown up with YouTube (I remember how much easier it made watching Buffy fanvids after its launch). I originally was a telecommunications major in college, largely because I loved and was inspired by what I saw people doing on YouTube. I created videos for my classmates in h ...more
Aly
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
In spite of the fact that I believe I am somewhat too old for this kind of behavior, I'm pretty fascinated by YouTube communities. Not surprisingly, my home is among the creators of educational and thoughtful content (Hank and John Green, Mike Rugnetta, Lindsey Ellis, etc.) But my connection with these creators tends to go beyond the information they provide-- I appreciate the fact that their YouTube videos bring these thoughtful, engaged, compassionate people into my life with regular uploads.

S
Neil Sarver
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a nice overview of the success stories specific to YouTube, which makes it solid read for what it is. Because of the author's position, it is limited to being specific to YouTube in a way that a book that was able to stretch out to other views of streaming, while still giving YouTube a lion's share of the story, as would be most accurate, might have felt more accurate.

It also spends too much time on the outscaled success stories, despite stating on various occasions how important the smalle
Sherri
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I would have finished this earlier if I hadn't stopped every chapter to look at youtube and got distracted.

The author describes the origins of youtube, profiles some of the most successful youtube stars or creators, explains the youtube business model and argues the merits of subscription services such as youtube red.

He doesn't delve into the controversy about how much youtube makes in ad revenue versus the amount paid to youtube creators. He touches lightly on copyright and restrictions on con
Lucas Weidner
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like many are saying: DON’T read this for a history of YouTube. It is about relevant topics concerning YouTube, like the challenges YouTube faces, how it is changing media, etc.

Streampunks: YouTube and the Rebels Remaking Media: It’s a great read, and it gives you insight on how the world of YouTube actually operates. It’s written by Robert Kyncl, CBO at YouTube. It can be a bit boring at times, but it can really help you learn more about YouTube and the effect it has had, (though it may be exag
Jason
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book chronicles how YouTube is changing how artistic creation and almost everything else is done. Written by the Chief Business Officer if YouTube, it is obviously a little biased but who doesn’t love YouTube?

The best part of this book is that shares the origin stories of many of your favorite YouTubers. And man is it inspiring? Lots of advice to take your art and your business to the next level. I so enjoyed this book.
Artslyz
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some of this was very interesting but I felt like I was reading an ad for YouTube which I guess is my fault for not realizing the author works for the company. I am interested in the ways media are being shaped and changed and thought his points about vlogs being the “new” reality tv were interesting.
Don Gorman
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
(3). If you are interested in modern culture and media, this is close to a must read. This inside case history of YouTube and its effect on the marketplace is important. Studies of many folks I certainly have never heard of, and how they succeeded from the very beginning. Much more lively than the average business book like this one.
Carmen Weninger
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
a pretty decent book that made me smile and laugh sometimes cause some of the youtubers mentioned were definitely some sort of childhood "heroes" for me ;) I also thought it gave very interesting insight into the algorithms of youtube and their vision.
Vasco
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The bad: nothing, really

The good: a great overview of YouTube's history and the relevant figures that grew with it from an insider source on the subject. Great book and gives great context to YouTube's business and associations.
Andrew M. Ayer
Pretty good read

This book was pretty good telling about the history, present and the future of YouTube . I would recommend it.
Maddie
DNF- too basic for anyone already in the industry
Vinayak Malik
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must read for anyone trying to get a sense of what online media is
Steven S
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Menarik.
CP (Wayne)
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Wow this book was a very interesting read!!! Anyone know of something similar?
Karime Hermoso