Start by marking “The End of Men” as Want to Read:
The End of Men

The End of Men

3.04  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The novel that inspired the acclaimed Rebecca Miller film Maggie's Plan, starring Julianne Moore, Ethan Hawke, and Greta Gerwig.

Isabel, Anna, Beth, and Maggie are women who aren’t afraid to take it all. Whether spearheading a pregnancy lingerie company, conspiring to return a husband to his ex-wife, lusting after an old lover while in a satisfying marriage, or trying to ba
Published June 20th 2017 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about The End of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Men

Cindy
A LibraryThing win!

So basically this book is about 4 unlikeable women who whine, bitch (sorry), complain and bash the men in their lives. If this story was meant to be funny I certainly didn't laugh. I know motherhood isn't easy especially for working mothers and that men can be turds at times but my goodness! Grow up, get over it and work on a solution which actually these women finally did. Without giving away any spoilers the ending did involve martinis which I had one after reading this book
Rachel
Dec 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, lady-lit, own
Reading The Handmaid's Tale, and about cancer, and going through a depression that feels a little more than seasonal, I desperately needed some lighter outlet. As it turns out, this book is like Sex and the City if all of the women were mothers and if Sex and the City were written entirely with the emotional subtlety of Carrie Bradshaw's column, and/or a Lifetime movie. The writing style is that of bland summary and passive voice. Infidelity is treated in an alarmingly cavalier and selfish manne ...more
Susan
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
The End of Men, follows four women, Anna, Isabel, Beth and Maggie as they try to make sense of their lives. But being wives, mothers and career minded women sometimes takes it toll and they are faced with questions large and small as they try to find and understand what it is they want out of life.

Unfortunately, this book didn't do anything for me. From the description, I was expecting a funny book but I found it to be, if I'm honest a bit boring. I never felt drawn into the story and for some r
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I was thinking this was going to be a wonderful summer read.

I was terribly disappointed.

The characters are completely unlikable. They are whiny and bitter about life twists even though many of the twists life throws at them are the results of their own bad choices.

Disappointed.
Katelyn
Contemporary women's fiction to get me out of my reading slump. Focuses on three women and their lives/pregnancies. Some of their actions/choices made me pretty uncomfortable (ex: cheating on a spouse), so I felt a sense of unease while reading this, but I still enjoyed it.
Nancy
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Four women, successful in their careers, make stupid decisions in their personal lives, putting blame on their men, while wondering why they even want men in their lives.

It was hard to relate to these women, except for their relationship to their children. The issues felt dated. I did appreciate how they came to embrace healthier understandings and relationships.

The whole book can be summed up in the later interchange between two of the women. One character complains about equal opportunity mea
Debbie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved the name of this book "The End of Men". I was fortunate to get win a copy of the book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers Books. Alas, after starting to read it, the fortunate feeling dissipated.

Ugh. I really wanted to like this book. I thought it was going to be lighthearted and an enjoyable read. For me, it just turned out to be characters I really could not connect with who complained. A LOT!!

I have passed by it every day, several times, for over a month and have never went back t
Hannah
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is bursting with love: friend love, maternal love, self-love. Refreshingly and daringly female-centric, Rinaldi isn't afraid to give voice to four dynamic women: no goal, no need, no emotion, no relationship is taboo. Unabashedly feminist, this book is a delightful and equally satisfying counterpart to more traditional chick-lit. Four stars.
Zujaja
Feb 22, 2017 added it
Currently reading an advanced copy and really enjoying it.
Wendy Karr
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. The characters were interesting and believable.
SJChar
I find it hard to empathize with women who make poor choices then cast their blame net over their significant others. Be a polyamorous lover but at least make sure your spouse is cool with it. Discuss child rearing or domestic duty expectations BEFORE getting married. Many of the issues these ladies face seem avoidable with either honesty or accountability. These are great career women but terrible partners. I'm more interested in this business and it's drama.
Jab: do these women a) forget they'
Tess
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unlikable characters, expositional style, and just too much going on. Each of the four characters could have had their own novel or novella-- it was too much to follow and not enough impetus to care.
Madeline P
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining book. It held my attention, which was especially impressive due to the fact that the main topic of the novel is pregnancy and motherhood (where I have zero experience or investment).

It was a very cathartic book to read: it focuses on four strong, engaged, successful women in New York City and their struggles to balance careers and motherhood. Their male husbands, lovers, and boyfriends are secondary to the plot, and most of the writing is focused on their relationships
Erin Cataldi
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
The epitome of chick lit/ beach reads. I'll admit I was not a huge fan. It was well written but I didn't particularly care about the four women and I will even go as far to say that I even despised one (I'm looking at you Isabel!). Four women wrapped up in careers, marriages, affairs, and motherhood explore and try to make sense of the confusing female experience. Even when they have everything they want their not happy, Why is it so hard to be a working mother in the twenty first century, if on ...more
Kara
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hannah
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. The title, the description, and the first paragraph all drew me in. I thought I was in for a fun sex-in-the-city-style ride with some heart and dialogue about what it means to be a woman in today's society.
What I got was a story that didn't seem to be about anything. Yes, events happen and a few of them tugged at my heartstrings briefly but overall, the story was just an expositional ball of randomness that was hard to follow and not enjoyable to read. The writ
Katy
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I'm also going to quote the hell out of it despite it being an ARC. So I guess some of it is subject to change, but I can't help it. It was a brilliantly written book.

There really isn't much of a synopsis to give without going too deep into the plot. Well, plot is maybe the wrong word. This isn't really a plot based book. This book is all about the characters. The End of Men follows four connected women over a year as they struggle to balance their lives between marriage, chil
Tess Pfeifle
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a book club book and not one I'd usually pick up for myself. However, I quite liked the tale of these four women and what it can teach us about motherhood, relationships, and being a career woman in the 21st century. I found each character relatable in some way, but was most moved by Beth's character. At first, I found her cold and unreachable but it was her story at the end that brought me the most emotion. Growing up isn't easy and neither is being a grown woman. Part III could have u ...more
Louise
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really engaging somewhat chic-lit, somewhat feminist book about women and their lives today that work and have a family. I thought it dealt very well with all the choices and responsibilities women have and what it feels like to juggle all those things and be happy within yourself. I feel like the author nailed a few things dead on for me, how to go to work and leave your child and feeling resentment for the husband you are happy to have taking care of the child at home but be happy a ...more
Despina
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A step above what I think of as typical chick lit. While I abhorred some of the actions of the characters, I appreciated their struggles navigating through all the decisions women have to make as we enter the years of marriage and motherhood and try to balance it with work, self-care, friendships. A good, quick read that makes you think.
Sophie dirringer
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juste-ok, pas-mal
L'idee du business est sympa mais apres le reste est in peu creux... ben oui c'est dur d'etre maman et de travailler et encore celles ci ne semblent pas a avoir de mal a boucler les fins de mois ou a courrir a la crèche ... et prendre des jours enfant malade.
Bref divertissant mais creux.
Tracey
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I don't agree with the other reviews saying the characters are unlikeable. The characters are real and, therefore, make bad decisions sometimes. I can see myself a little in each of the characters.
Allison King
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good beach read about spoiled white women working to balance it all. I cared about the characters as the story unfolded. I needed a light read after just finishing the Nightengale and this serves its purpose.
Soojin
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not bad but not great.
Mandie
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
I stopped reading when (no spoilers, it's early in the book) one woman talked about her closeted ex husband contracting HIV. What decade is this??? Are you kidding?
Sierra
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beyond-favorites
BRILLIANT.
Angela Martin
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this in a day, just to finish it. The writing was not my cup of tea, very juvenile and stunted. No thanks.
Ricki
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, chick-lit
So many things about this book were confusing - the chronological jumping around between characters, the title, and the lack of depth. This just made it feel very disjointed and flimsy.
Shannon
Nov 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction-novels
The writing was so clunky and awkward. I just couldn’t enjoy a single bit of it.
Elizabeth

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)