Start by marking “One Was Lost” as Want to Read:
One Was Lost

One Was Lost

For fans of In a Dark, Dark Wood and Survive the Night comes a pulse-pounding, psychological thriller from the author of Six Months Later.

Damaged, Deceptive, Dangerous, Darling. When a group of teens wake up in the woods, these words are inked onto their skin. Are they labels? A warning? They must find the truth before a killer finds them.

While on a mandatory senior field

Published October 4th 2016 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about One Was Lost, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
M Suspense/Mystery/Thriller

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“Your blood is on our hands.”

This was a YA mystery/suspense story, about a group of kids attacked whilst on a camping trip.

Sera was an okay character, although we didn’t really find out all that much about her. We knew that her parents were divorced, that she looked like her mother, and had some problem with a boy who was also on the trip (Lucas), but other than that
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
This is going to be a very quick review because meh, I've read worse, but I've definitely read better, too.
I didn't mind the writing (especially the dialogues) and the characters. I wish there was more diversity, but still, Natalie D. Richards did a nice job on that front, thing that not many authors feel the need to do, nowadays.
The plot, however, could have been developed better, same goes with the slasher factor (it had some serious Pretty Little Liars For Dummies vibes going on).
The kille
Carrie
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
During the senior camping trip things take an ugly turn when Sera and her group find themselves waking up to find half the group missing and their teacher unconscious. The group comes to the conclusion that they must have been drugged but really become suspicious when they find words have been written on all their wrists. Damaged. Deceptive. Dangerous. Darling.

One Was Lost is one of those reads that while it's not really a new or unique story line or even amazing writing it still can hook you in
Stacee
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love a creepy story and this sounded perfectly delicious...and for me, it delivered.

I really liked the four MCs. It's Sera's head we're in, but the one person POV makes it easy to suspect everyone. It felt like every time I had it figured out, something else would happen.

It doesn't get much creepier than the woods and the plot takes off pretty much right from the beginning. There were some interesting twists and a couple of character reveals I didn't see coming. Not to mention an ending th
Figgy
Actual Rating 1.5

So, from the outset it’s clear that this isn’t the most original idea for a novel. Undoubtedly scenes from countless suspense and slasher films and books spring to mind.

And yet, the book has some pretty good ratings online; some pretty positive reviews. There’s bound to be something about the writing that makes it worthwhile reading, no?

Okay, maybe that’s a little harsh. The book is fast-paced and easy enough to get through, so if you like that kind of thing and don’t much ca
Dianne
Your senior year in high school, the last year cocooned in the relative safety of the halls of education. When it’s over, they say you are ready to go out and face whatever the world has to offer. Never were those words put to such a grueling test as the senior camping trip, when two teachers, and a handful of teens become the prey for a sadistic shadow in the night.

One Was Lost by Natalie D. Richards is a dark and chilling tale of a school trip gone more than just bad. It is a twisted tale of m
Carlos
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy enough to read , the content is not that complex but it will make you read on and read on for sure . If you want an easy horror read for this Halloween season, this is the book for you .
Jen Ryland
One Was Lost is the story of a group of high school students on an outdoor trip. When the weather turns bad, the group is split in two and then creepy, unexplained things start to happen. Is a killer stalking the group? Or is the killer one of them?

On the positive side, this book had a lot of action and suspense that kept me reading, and I enjoyed the first 80 percent. On the negative, when I got to the end, I didn't feel like much of it was plausible. The group suffers from a lot of bad luck (
Morris
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“One Was Lost” is a good book for those looking for a fast, creepy read.

The story begins immediately, without much explanation as to the backstory of the characters or the situation they’re in. All of that is explained over the course of the book. I would describe the plot as one of the current PG-13 horror movies out there. It isn’t something complex, but it delivers on the chills and jumps. The cover pretty much sums up the mood.

I recommend “One Was Lost” for those looking for a fun and fast r
Eva • All Books Considered
Review originally posted at All Books Considered: 2.5 STARS

This one was very much in the vein of I Know What You Did Last Summer and other, similar books by R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike, just not as good as I remember those YA horror/thriller books being. One, there was a serious focus on Sera's crush/former crush and why she thought she couldn't be with him; I found her reasoning to be quite lacking and also the fact that she would be focused on him and kissing him when someone was trying t
Angela Powell
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The one star is for the premise of the book, the reason I checked it out to begin with: on a hiking weekend, four friends wake up in their tents to find words scrawled on their arms; dangerous, damaged, deceptive, and darling. Their leader\teacher won't wake up and all of their supplies have been stolen or ransacked. The rest of the group is missing.
Sounds like a good read, right?
It should've been, but instead of focusing on survival and a possible serial killer, the author went with simpery r
Kisses A
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Kept me at the tip of my toes. Full review to come.
Ashley Gallegos
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shockingly good! This was a new author for me and I could not put it down. The intrigue was brilliantly woven together and left just enough to the imagination. I felt like I was in the book and part of the action. Highly recommend!
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
Books like One Was Lost is one of the reasons why I'm terrified of camping in the woods! (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...)

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

One Was Lost follows a group of teens as they are on a school trip in the forest, where they have to survive with the means they have with them. We get to know Sera better than her school mates, as the story is told from her perspective. And one of the themes in this story really has to do with percep
Kitkat
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trisha
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's harder to wash away things once they're buried this deep"

Imagine backpacking - miles and days of walking from civilization, your cell phone doesn't work and you haven't see anyone other than your hiking group for days.

A group of seniors and 2 teachers head out for a school trip - it's one of many options so there aren't a ton of kids on the trip. They are two days into their backpacking trip when the rains hit. It's been raining all night and all day. There are concerns of bridge washout
Heather A
I received a copy from Netgalley.

The premise of this one sounded interesting enough, a group of teens on a senior field trip wind up stranded in the woods, spooky things start happening, teachers go missing and they’re being stalked by an unknown figure who writes strange things on the arms of four of the kids. Dangerous. Darling. Damaged. Deceptive. With no clue what’s happening, stranded from their classmates by bad weather, and suspicions mounting, the kids must pull together and figure a wa
Amy
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Full review on www.novelgossip.com

I kept having one thought come to mind while reading this, over and over again and it was this; I feel like I’m watching a typical teenage horror movie. You know how when you’re watching said movie and you end up yelling at the screen because the main character (s) keep making stupid decisions and walking into obvious traps? There was quite a bit of that happening here. Similar to the way I feel after watching one of these movies I can’t quite decide if I liked
Vanessa
I won a finished copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

This one creeped me out! Going into this, with the young adult label, I didn't expect for it to be scary, but, boy, it was. You know how books have you creeping around corners and jumping at the slightest noises? This was one of those books for me; granted, I get scared easily, but Natalie D. Richards is really good at what she does.

The book was well-written, and I enjoyed the characters' personalities, though I wasn't crazy about S
Kirsti
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like an overdue library book to get you reading, huh? So I decided to read this in one sitting, moving away from my laptop and any other distractions in the process. It helped add to the creep factor as well, because I sat with my back to an open window and felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck a few times lol.

This is a fast paced horror that keeps up with the horror and gore from the beginning. While I don't want to give anything away, I did feel that the explanation was a lit
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Mini review because this was pretty unremarkable?

Pros:

- action starts from the first page and remains high-adrenaline the whole way through. This is difficult pace to manage, but somehow worked?
- The dialogue feels pretty realistic for a group of teenagers

Cons:
- the plot feels really formulaic
- LIKE REALLY formulaic. So many tropes from slasher movies and a villain right off of the CW
- all everyone did was fight like 24/7
- the lover interest was boring, and the only romantic conflict f
Shane
This is my third time reading a Natalie D. Richards book and honestly, I was hoping for more after that blurb. It filled me with intrigue, seeing as the characters were camping in the woods. I like that setup; it's dark and alluring, the perfect mix for a suspense novel. But throughout One Was Lost, while the mystery held my attention, I wanted more in other areas.

I liked how it started out with the characters already in the woods and about to start heading back. It would have been fine like th
Debbie
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six students and two teachers go on a hiking trip into a forest. Due to a huge storm, they are separated. The river is starting to rise and all of them can't make it across in time. . Four students and a teacher on one side and two students and a teacher on the other side. No big deal. The river will go down soon as it has stopped raining. They all set up their camp sites and go to sleep.

The next afternoon (yes afternoon, not morning) is when things start to become strange and scary. And that's
Bailey
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. The ending was amazing and unexpected, but it wasn't foreshadowed well enough to be guessed easily. It is the type of book you can easily get lost in because of the detail and realistic view points of the characters. Nothing is over powered or to over-the-top to be believable. I really liked the story and strongly recommend it. It is an amazing book and I loved all the plot twists and how in a single page it can change the whole course of the story. The ending was amazing and I ...more
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
"We Were Sleeping, And They Were in Our Tent"- 4.5 stars...

One Was Lost is about a group of high school seniors that have to participate in a mandatory field trip and for various reasons they get stuck with an outdoor camping trip. As soon as they start their trek through the woods though, things start going wrong and when they wake up after their first night, they realize that someone was in their tents...

I had so much fun reading this book! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! I read
Alana • thebookishchick
Rating 3.5 stars
Thank you NetGalley for a copy of this ebook in exchange for a honest review.

One Was Lost takes us on the journey 0f a group of high school seniors on a camping trip who find themselves in heaps of trouble after they wake up one morning with their belongings destroyed, no memory of the night before, one teacher unconscious, strange words written on each of their wrists, and half of the camp separated by a river. I was excited to read this because I do love a good fast-paced, sca
L.P. Logan
2.5 rating.

description

This one started out on a low point. The writing was bland and the storyline . . . typical. It just didn't capture my interest. However about half way through I found that I was actually enjoying the young-love-in-the-woods-while-a-murderer-is-hot-on-the-trail. Is this book going to win any awards for being the best book ever written? Most likely not. But is it a quick and easy read that you will enjoy if you don't think too hard and ignore the blazé writing? Definitely.

My biggest b
Celeste

I didn't have alot of expectations going into this book because I'm more in the mood to read urban fantasy at the moment. I was however pleasantly surprised by this book.

The story is about a group of teenagers who go into the woods hiking as an extracurricular for school. Things go wrong fast when the group is split up and then everyone is drugged and their camp ransacked. The four teenagers on waking discover that all of them have words written in sharpie on their arms, their teacher
Christa
Imagine being in the woods with teenagers. Yep that sounds like a start to a great horror story already.

There’s a small group of seniors on a camping trip with two teachers as chaperones. There’s a heavy storm, and the group gets separated, which is how all horror movies go.

The group our main character is with wakes up discovering that not only did someone roofie their water bottles while they are out alone in the woods, but their supplies and phones are destroyed, and each teen has a word wri
FCHS Teachers: Book Recommendation 1 1 Jun 11, 2018 02:53AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: One Was Lost by Natalie D. Richards - Starting July 26th 2016 8 15 Jul 26, 2016 12:26PM
  • The Row
  • Chasing Truth (Eleanor Ames, #1)
  • Half-Boys and Gypsy Girls (Spookshow, #5)
  • Unnatural Deeds
  • Shutter
  • Astray (Gated, #2)
  • See How They Lie
  • Splinter
  • Beyond (Betwixt Novella #1.5)
  • The Chaos of Now
  • The Detour
  • How to Disappear
  • Dancing with Molly
“It feels perfect, all of it, and that's how I know it's wrong.” 1 likes
“Pain spreads up from my middle, squeezing tight in my chest. I think that's my heart. But hearts lie.” 0 likes