Start by marking “Driverless: Intelligent Cars and the Road Ahead (The MIT Press)” as Want to Read:
Driverless: Intelligent Cars and the Road Ahead (The MIT Press)

Driverless: Intelligent Cars and the Road Ahead (The MIT Press)

In the coming decade, intelligent cars and trucks will hit the streets, rearranging established industries, enabling new business models, saving lives, easing air pollution, and reshaping cities. Long-suffering commuters will finally be able to live wherever they wish, and read (or nap) on their drive to work. The bad news is that hundreds of thousands of driving-related j
Published September 30th 2016 by The MIT Press (first published September 23rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Driverless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driverless

Start your review of Driverless: Intelligent Cars and the Road Ahead (The MIT Press)
James Klagge
I'm going to use this book in my ethics class this semester--the class will use autonomous vehicles as an application for discussing a wide variety of topics in ethics. This book gives the history as also the state of the art (as of 2015) as well as a variety of reflections on personal and social issues raised by this technology. It will be background reading for the course, especially for students who do not have a grounding in AI.
The book is written by a mechanical engineering prof who works
Will
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great introduction to our (imminent) driverless future. We get a fair amount of the history of automation and regulation in the car industry before moving onto the technical, political, and ethical questions we'll face in this new world. The authors are engineers and the technical chapters are the strongest - the artificial intelligence chapters, in particular, were deep but accessible. Lipson's description of the technical history of automation is one of the most enjoyable parts ...more
John Kaufmann
Very well-organized and presented book on the advent and future of driverless vehicles. The book starts with a great overview of some of the main issues. Then it goes into the history of robotics, intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and driverless cars; and on to the science, beginning with a simple overview and proceeding, in various chapters, to more and more detail. In particular, it goes into depth about the role of human perception, multiple sensing technologies and how they work, and ...more
Nick
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, tech
Overall it was a good introduction to the subject. However I was familiar with several aspects of the technology already, and the book is a few years outdated in the fast-paced industry.
Nilesh
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-sciences
Driverless covers topical issues well but does not go far enough.

The book confronts issues that dominate headlines extensively, if not excessively. It makes the safety related arguments well although in addressing the common concerns, it labors over the same points repeatedly. Some of these issues and solutions are succinctly covered in many popular magazine articles these days.

The sections on technology are well-crafted and make many interesting points. The details on AI
Malcolm Logan
An overview of the earthshaking societal impacts portended by the advent of self-driving cars combined with an examination of the technology. The book does an adequate job on both counts but might be considered guilty of unevenness in the eyes of the average reader. To grasp the implications of the coming transformation, the reader must understand the robotic advancements necessary to design an autonomous vehicle, such as visual perception software and deep learning, but the authors (perhaps ref ...more
Dale
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Review of the Audiobook

Published in 2016 by Blackstone Audio
Read by George Newbern
Duration: 9 hours, 57 minutes
Unabridged

Driverless cars have been the goal of engineers for decades, but the technology has simply not been there. Lipson and Kurman take the reader (or listener, in my case) through a history of driverless cars, artificial intelligence and make the case that driverless cars will be a common thing much sooner than most of us think.

Positives:

The book is written i/>Published
Chris
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I listened to the audio book and at times it was interesting and it was mostly boring in my opinion.

The first chapter was good and the book could have ended there and then there were 11 more chapters.

The authors are academics which explains much of this boredom and they talk mostly in conjecture and then go on boring the listener with historical facts and figures about the history of AI, code, and creating a driverless car or car of the future, all in a matter of fact mon
Brian Kramp
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really interested in driverless cars (can't wait), and I thought I'd pick this up and skim it to see if there was anything good in it. Well from beginning to end, the authors present an amazing history, and behind the scenes account, and predictions about driverless cars that make this book an amazingly good read.
OK, so it's not life-changing, or on my favorites list, but a very well-balanced, and researched book. I learned a surprising amount from it, including references to the DARPA
Elie De Brauwer
+1 for being the only book in the entire library to cover deep learning, +1 for mentioning Sebastian Thrun, Fei Fei Li, Yann LeCunn and friends in a book +1 for not using any mathematical notation at all -0.5 for stating the computer history museum is in Palo Alto (it's in Mountain View !) -0.5 for getting a label as a book about cars while it's actually about deep learning and +2 to end up at a total of four stars ;-)

But that said, the book offers a very readable/entertaining introd
Dare
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything and everything you've ever wondered about driverless cars will be addressed in this book, even if the answers to some of those questions aren't quite clear yet. Even though the authors remind the reader that autonomous vehicles may never become the mainstream technology we dream of, I couldn't help but imagine a future where my very own driverless car drops my husband off at work, returns to drive me to work, then parks itself back at home until its time to pick us up. I love the future ...more
Kee Onn
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a graduate student in engineering I certainly felt like I've somewhat missed the bandwagon of machine learning and driverless technology. With this book I was able to catch up with relatively little trouble as Lipson and Kurman wrote this book with the average reader in mind. These are technologies that appeared in the last five years and we are still uncertain in how these technologies will change our lives. The authors are optimistic, albeit with a few economic and moral caveats also discus ...more
Kyle Schroeckenthaler
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A great introduction to a fast evolving field of technology. He covers a lot of interesting history and technology stuff, and touches most of the major societal issues. I think his treatment of technology is a little stronger than the predictions about autonomous vehicles will change transportation systems over time.
Rick
This was alright. Provided some interesting history on the subject, covered enough about machine learning to make me want to find a more detailed discussion on the topic. My biggest complaint was there was a bit too much cheerleading for how autonomous vehicles are right around the corner and about to make everyone's life incredibly so much better...
kingfish 94
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very insightful and technical read. I don't see driverless cars coming in the near future. They had me at, "driverless cars (pods) won't have any Brake Lights". Maybe I'll change my mind if I see a demo. I would love to be proven wrong.
Sandeep Guguloth
This book can be considered as a definitive guide to self driving vehicles, for non-technical readers. Prof Lipsob has done a good job of explaining many robotics concepts in an easily understandable way.
Lee
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at the possible future of driverless cars, done by demolishing misunderstandings about driverless cars, detailing how driverless technology became, demonstrating government's inability to predict the future and predicting how the driverless paradigm will work itself out.
Silvano Paternoster
Great book
Finished in 4 days
Very easy to read, a good introduction to the world of driverless cars,.
Includes great pieces of history, problems and future possibilities of driverless cars
Recommended
Martin Roshkev
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good way to introduce yourself to automated driving technology, described from a very broad perspective. It could serve as a great starting point for people without technical knowledge to dig deeper with more specialized literature.
Garrett Bentley
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a glimpse into the future. Really digs into how cars have shaped our lives, how development of autonomous cars has evolved, how policy will play a critical roll, and what makes driverless cars possible. Lots of science in this one, and I really liked it.
Tomislav Urban
A poorly written and atrociously edited book about a very interesting topic.
John
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super smart engineer articulates the tech and the impact that driverless cars will have in the future. If you're interested in the area, I highly recommend it!
Polly
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting book about driverless cars and possible implications.
Noel
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of info on how tech is transforming driving. Good discussion on AI and machine learning.
Tyler N
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book five stars for the information included, I am a car enthusiast, but I did not enjoy reading the book, this could be since I prefer gas cars.
Colleendearborn
From Hoopla, and reader okay.
Subjective. Writer has strong, positive opinion and arguments for driverless cars. Interesting ideas.
Some books are more difficult to finish than others.
Sufen Fong
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to the technology behind autonomous vehicles and what it takes to win the race to be first to market.
رامي الرفوع
Good well rounded discussion of the technology and its future implication.
Jeremy Sawruk
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very thorough book on all aspects of driverless technology, from the nascent beginnings at the Futurama exhibit at the 1939 World's Fair, through to the future of AI-based driverless vehicles (as seen in the 2017 film "Logan"). The book covers aspects of history, ethics, economics, automotive technology, and contemporary driverless platforms developed by companies such as Waymo (Google/Alphabet), Mobileye (Intel), and Nvidia. The book has an extremely good history of machine learning and compu ...more
Gendou
Feb 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, futurism
This is one of those books where you will get about as much knowledge from reading it as you would get browsing the topic on Wikipedia for about 20 minutes. It's thin gruel.

One good point made in the book is the distinction between self driving cars in a fully vs. partially autonomous environment. It would only take a few meat bags to really gum up the robot super-highways. It's also pointed out that relying on a human driver to take over in case of emergency isn't reasonable. Humans

• Autonomy: The Quest to Build the Driverless Car—And How It Will Reshape Our World
  • The Knowledge Illusion: Why We Never Think Alone
  • The One Device: The Secret History of the iPhone
  • Life After Google: The Fall of Big Data and the Rise of the Blockchain Economy
  • Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland
  • The Driver in the Driverless Car: How Our Technology Choices Will Create the Future
  • Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter
  • Elke 3 seconden
  • Coders: The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World
  • Ich bin dann mal im Keller: Vom letzten Refugium des Mannes
  • Glass House: The 1% Economy and the Shattering of the All-American Town
  • Practical C++ Metaprogramming
  • Energy and Civilization: A History
  • The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
  • The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power
  • The Perfect Weapon: How the Cyber Arms Race Set the World Afire
  • The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor
  • Dear Chairman: Boardroom Battles and the Rise of Shareholder Activism

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »