Start by marking “Fleabag (NHB Modern Plays)” as Want to Read:
Fleabag (NHB Modern Plays)

Fleabag (NHB Modern Plays)

The foul-mouthed, hysterically funny, rip-roaring account of Fleabag, a twentysomething female struggling with being a woman today. Fleabag is an antiheroine, a refreshingly unique example of today's modern woman. Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s debut play is an outrageously funny monologue for a female performer.

Naughty, funny, and dark, the BBC’s adaptation of Fleabag has been an
Published September 29th 2016 by Nick Hern Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fleabag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fleabag

Start your review of Fleabag (NHB Modern Plays)
Cecily
People often assume that a book is the best gift for a booklover. But it’s usually the worst gift - unless it was specifically asked for. Either I’ll force myself to read it instead of something else, or I’ll feel guilty for not reading it.

Joy! This was an unexpected but well-chosen Christmas gift.

Image: Books tied with ribbon (Source.)

I loved the two TV series of Fleabag, and a few months ago saw the original one-woman stage show. This book is the script of that monologue (so no “hot priest”).
Barry Pierce
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The monologue that started it all. Almost exhaustingly funny and refreshingly debauched. It cannot be denied that the television adaptation of Fleabag has helped define an era, so it's interesting to see how it began. The monologue is essentially the first series of the show, but incredibly pared down to roughly an hour of dialogue. Fleabag's approach to life is chaotic but also wincingly relatable. Waller-Bridge really read us all for filth. ...more
Vicky "phenkos"
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're not aware of Phoebe Waller-Bridge, you should check her out. In the past few years Waller-Bridge has become a phenomenon, not only taking her award-winning Edinburgh Fringe Festival show to the London stage and then to the BBC for two wildly successful seasons, but she's also been employed as a writer for major tv productions, most recently the 25th James Bond film. I'm currently binge-watching Season 1 of Fleabag and can't wait to get on to Season 2.

Who is Fleabag for? For one, it's a
Joshie
I wasn’t able to catch the play at a theatre obviously because I live in faraway lands. There were no screenings near me either but I managed to find a copy somewhere; and fortunately a bookshop near me sold the play in print. Other than visiting another country for vacation last May I‌ think watching Fleabag is the only other good decision I made this year. And this year has been rough. I saw the series twice but the play itself is still an experience. Whilst it only covers the first season, wi ...more
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Heartbreakingly relatable, hilarious and the perfect thing to pick up after seeing the show.

I love the concept of Fleabag letting the audience peek into her world as she speaks to them throughout different scenarios in her life until she realizes they’re seeing too much into the ugliness of both her personality and current situation. There’s something endearing about seeing woman’s trials and tribulations, her glaring faults, and the obnoxious aspects of her personality which make her all the m
The Artisan Geek
29/3/20
So good! I got to meet Phoebe last year when this came out - such a lovely experience! :D

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, plays
4.5 rounded down

Phoebe can do no wrong - insert cliched sentence here about how I preferred the tv series but they’re not comparable, really (and I’m just bitter I never saw her perform this live). The additional bits in this special edition were fun as well.

(ETA: Managed to catch the National Theatre Live showing of the play in my local theatre - 10 out of 10, would recommend.)
Lee
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I stood staring at a handprint on my wall from when I had a threesome on my period. Harry and I break up every twelve to eighteen months and when we do, well...

I wish I could tell you that my threesome story was sticky and awkward and everyone went home a little bit sad and empty, but...it was lovely.

Sorry.”
Megankellie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay this is an intense review so be forewarned and it is mainly about fleabag season 2. Ok.

Fleabag season two came to my house, took out a cartoon sized mallet, chased me around and cornered me and hammered me until I disintegrated into a mist of meat, bone and eyeball pulp. Or it stabbed me like when you pry open an oyster and pulled out the center meat which in this case is like a helpless baby panda with every single thought and feeling on the outside in neon. I have since been recklessly r
Jasmine
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A short play, easily read in half an hour, but one that feels like a kick to the chest that will stay with you for a while. Having come to Fleabag though the BBC adaption (watch it!) I wanted to see how it was adapted from stage to screen. The TV adaptation is padded out, but almost all the strongest moments are from the play themselves. I feel like I am easily able to recognise aspects of myself from some parts of my life in Fleabag and I imagine that's not unique to me. Maybe one day I'll mana ...more
Doug
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, rounded up.

I'd read just the script previously, but wanted to see if this special edition's features, and a re-read, made it rise in my estimation any (I gave it 3 stars initially). As a director, I DID appreciate the additions detailing the creation of the production, and a re-read made me begrudgingly raise it slightly, but it still suffers from the points I made in my first review - it plays much better than it reads, due to the author's acting prowess, and I still detest the fate of poo
Doug
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't seen more than a couple minutes online of the TV series based on this, and although I enjoyed what I saw, I think its success owes more to the author's performance as the lead character, than to the writing, per se. Of course, much has been made of the raunchy aspects, which didn't really bother me, and a lot of it IS quite funny. But there is also lots of mucky bits including fat shaming and a particularly disturbing sequence of animal abuse and murder that mitigates any joy that prec ...more
Caitlin Kunkel
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of the show, the script for the one-woman show is excellent and a great exercise in thinking about different mediums. ...more
Ben Fleck
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Fleabag: Or Guinea Pigs 4ever

Can I just say that Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a genius and a comedy godsend? Fleabag is hilarious and heartbreaking and makes you feel. One moment you are laughing while the next you are crying as you see the destruction and heartache this one character feels. The dialogue is some of the best, most realistic dialogue I've ever read. It conveys the inner-dialogue of a troubled character in a way that plays so true. And it never hesitates to go there.

My only complain
Jemima Carr-Jones
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really interesting to read as I had already watched the award-winning TV series.
It is compelling, witty and encapsulates Waller-Bridge's style. As she says in the intro, one minute you love Fleabag, the next minute you are appauled, the next you are laughing and the next you are appauled again. Fleabag is, as a character, relatable, complex and gritty. I read this script in half an hour cover-to-cover. It's really refreshing to read something that addresses parts and experiences of lif
Neva
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love her.
Alexandra Sara
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve come to the play via the BBC adaptation which for me is pure genius in both script and performance. One of my favourite tv programmes in the whole world and I’m not one to use hyperbole.

Strangely, despite frequently visualising moments of the tv programme, the Fleabag in my head whilst reading was a different character to the one I’d grown to love on screen. I don’t know what I think about this, it’s just an observation.

The script is punchy, funny and heartbreaking but I wonder how I wou
Amy
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I requested a copy of this from the publisher and they kindly sent one to me.
I'm obsessed with Fleabag. I loved the series and I can't wait to see the play when it is broadcast in cinema.
The play is hilarious and heartbreaking. You cannot help but love Fleabag and all her imperfections.
This edition is great as it has interviews and photos talking about this history of Fleabag and the development of the play.
I just love this okay
Karen Foster
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kicked off the year with this little gem... This special edition features not only the original play, first performed in it’s entirety at the Edinburgh festival, but also lots of extra content. This gives amazing insight into ‘Fleabag’ the character, Phoebe’s creative process, and her philosophy in writing for an audience, and the feelings and reactions she seeks. Snarky, filthy, funny and ultimately touching, I’m genuinely in awe of her genius.
Jane
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible experience. That is the best way to describe the journey of reading this book. Fleabag is a story about a flawed woman who makes mistakes but also reminds us that we all do.
She has such great strength even when you realize how damaged and self-destructive she is. She is also honest about so many things that women don't say out loud.
I can't wait to see more of this incredible writer.
Udai
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, plays
There is no doubt that the golden age of sitcoms has come and gone. TV shows with canned laughter stopped engaging the viewers of today as they turned their heads into something more of a value, dark comedies.

Fleabag, the TV show, was aired in 2016, a mini bingeable series about a shipwreck woman who is “not obsessed with sex” and how she navigates her life after the loss of her best friend. The main character breaks the fourth wall as she looks directly into the camera, into the viewer’s soul
Molly
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
i read this last year but this inept website sorted it into my read in 2020 pile so idk im fiddling about disregard this really. anyone else struggling with their love of fleabag and their distaste for pwb rn?
Anzal
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No amount of praise does this justice.
Mary Mithrilil
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-''I have a horrible feeling I'm a greedy, perverted, selfish, apathetic, cynical, depraved, mannish-looking, morally bankrupt woman who can't even call herself a feminist.''

-''Well...You get all that from your mother.''

I bought this after watching the BBC series and I was not disappointed. Although it's very condensed and doesn't include as many scenes as the series, it is a proper rendition of what makes Fleabag so unique: intense, funny, sexy, relatable. I wanted to roll on the floor laughi
Cecily
I read an edition with extra material. See my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ...more
simona
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
tag yourself i'm the guinea pig that could die of loneliness ...more
Marta Mealha
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even after having watched the very-dear-to-my-heart tv series, we are able to dabble into other depths of Fleabag’s complexity. The monologue about Hillary. Heartbreaking.
Felipe
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Do i have a massive arsehole?' ...more
Alan Teder
Fleabag On Demand (Temporary Bonus Link)
Available until April 23, 2020 23:59 London Time Zone
Watch Fleabag for as little as £4 at https://www.sohotheatreondemand.com/
Fleabag is a one woman tour-de-force by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. It's funny, slutty and full of pathos. Compelling. Cost minimum of price of £4 with all the money going to charity.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge photo credit by Soho Theatre.

Original Review:
Fleabag Rising
Review of the Nick Hern Books 'Special Edition' (Aug. 2019) paperback

Here in
Amy Lively
At times, the story is hilarious. At other times, it is just sad. The Obama obsession: funny! The murder of Hilary: seriously twisted and who would even think of such a thing?

Fleabag is a such an original character and the writing is sharp. I can imagine that this is a hell of a monologue to hear in person. However, I just don’t like her. The raunch feels like raunch for the sake of raunch. I tried to watch the TV show and couldn’t get past two episodes. I thought the play might help me get som
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Sugar Syndrome
  • Skylight
  • Jerusalem
  • One Man, Two Guvnors
  • seven methods of killing kylie jenner
  • The One
  • The River
  • The Writer
  • The Welkin
  • Ear for Eye
  • The Effect
Phoebe Mary Waller-Bridge (born 14 July 1985) is an English actress and writer. She is best known for creating, writing and starring in the comedy-drama series Crashing (2016) and Fleabag (2016–19), for which she won the BAFTA TV Award for Best Female Comedy Performance, and for developing and writing the first season of BBC America drama Killing Eve, based on novels by Luke Jennings.

News & Interviews