Start by marking “Origin (Robert Langdon, #5)” as Want to Read:
Origin (Robert Langdon, #5)

Origin

(Robert Langdon #5)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  213,819 ratings  ·  21,631 reviews
Kindle Edition, UK, 480 pages
Published October 3rd 2017 by Transworld Digital (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Origin, please sign up.
Wayne Jackson I stayed up till 1:00AM reading Origin. The book has all the hallmarks of his Langdon series; vivid locations, historical tie-ins and a mad dash to…moreI stayed up till 1:00AM reading Origin. The book has all the hallmarks of his Langdon series; vivid locations, historical tie-ins and a mad dash to the final reveal when we learn the secret Langdon has been chasing. Origin has all of that in typical Brown fashion, however, for me the reveal (and there are two in this book) was overdrawn and fell flat. I put down the book with a sense of “that’s it?” disappointment. (less)
David I'm thinking it's going to be just like the previous four. Little to no character development. Bigly plot swings. A sidekick who is super competent…moreI'm thinking it's going to be just like the previous four. Little to no character development. Bigly plot swings. A sidekick who is super competent and only needs to adjust her pony tail every four or five chapters.

With Dan Brown, you know what you're going to get, is what I am saying. People who like his combinations of "codes, science, religion, history, art and architecture" are going to love it. People who think he's the worst thing to happen to literature are going to hate it. No mystery involved. (less)

·  213,819 ratings  ·  21,631 reviews

Start your review of Origin (Robert Langdon, #5)
Emily May
Where do we come from?
Where are we going?

Yes, it's the new Dan Brown book. Yes, it's pulpy and ridiculous. But I have to say it-- it was really entertaining, too.

The thing about Brown is that he's a mediocre-at-best writer with really fascinating ideas. If you spend too much time analysing individual scenes and sentences, then you're going to start to see the cracks, big and small. Big cracks like world-renowned scientists jumping to ludicrous conclusions, and small cracks like world-renowned sci
Petra
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update:
I just finished the book. It's not the best Robert Langdon book in my opinion but it's entertaining as hell. As always if you are looking for some quality writing this is not the book for you. However I love these books. I love that I can look up a building or a piece of art or a religious organization I never heard of and they are all real. So if that's your cup of tea I would recommend this book for you.

Yes Robert Langdon is my guilty pleasure so sue me! I can't wait
Ashley
Sep 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
All right, Danny boy, let's see what you've got for us this time. Anyone want to take bets on how many times he mentions the Mickey Mouse watch?

Man, I hope that thing gets smashed under a garbage truck.
Matthew
Dan Brown is back with some of his best work in a while. I was not a huge fan of his last two – Inferno and The Lost Symbol. I think for me they seemed kind of stale after Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code. Origin is now probably my second favorite of his (behind Angels and Demons).

Some of the key points:

Religion and Science – this is a big battle in our world today. It is an exhausting battle for someone like me who goes to church but also loves science. I worry that the feeling is start
Sean Gibson
If you’re reading this in an effort to determine whether or not you want to read Origins, I’m going to make two assumptions:

1) You’ve already read the previous books in the series and, as such, need no introduction to Robert Langdon or Dan Brown’s art/history/symbol/puzzle MO; and

2) You’re not looking for sparkling prose (because, if you are, it’s a little bit like going to an all-you-can-eat $5.99 buffet and getting pissed that there’s no caviar and foie gras).

Dan Brown
Anuradha
When Anuradha Herur woke up this morning, at the crack of dawn, she was in no way prepared for the absolute dismay she would have to face during the day. As she pulled her long, black hair into a bun, she contemplated the decision she had made the previous night. She had decided, bravely, to read Dan Brown's new treatise on the amalgamation of history and technology, religion and science. As she thumbed through the massive tome, she was, despite her initial trepidation, caught unawares of how cr ...more
Mohammed Arabey
Finally will travel again with my idol, Professor Dan Brown Robert Langdon..
This time to Spain..

With an unfamiliar world to him, the world of Modern Art, and on a quest to answer two of the most profound questions in human history.
But since I only obsessed
Ron Charles
Dan Brown is back with another thriller so moronic you can feel your IQ points flaking away like dandruff.

“Origin” marks the fifth outing for Harvard professor Robert Langdon, the symbologist who uncovered stunning secrets and shocking conspiracies in “The Da Vinci Code” and Brown’s other phenomenally best-selling novels. All the worn-out elements of those earlier books are dragged out once again for Brown to hyperventilate over like some grifter trying to fence fake antiques.
Helene Jeppesen
DNF.
Even though I spent quite some money on this book, I can’t finish it. That’s because this book is an exact replica of all of Dan Brown’s previous books about Robert Langdon and I’m so bored and frustrated with how unoriginal this is. The same protagonist who finds himself in the same kind of situation and makes the same decisions. The structure of the plot is the same with short chapters that all end on “cliffhangers”, and to top it all off Dan Brown throws in a beautiful female - just
Carol (Bookaria)
I first fell in love with Dan Brown's books when I read Deception Point and Digital Fortress many years ago. I used to get the audiobook CDs from the library and I would listen to them on my commute. His novels kept me completely captivated.

Now let's talk about Origin, his latest novel. This is the 5th Robert Langdon novel and it has the same elements of the previous books in the series: a crime in a relevant location such as a museum, a mystery to solve, a beautiful and smart woman that teams up with Robert Lang
G.H. Eckel
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some laughably bad and some insanely-good parts in this novel. If you like Dan Brown, your skin will already be toughened for the bad writing in parts and you will be thrilled with the genius parts. This novel, like Brown's others, will not pull at your heartstrings; it's very much an intellectual adventure--just like you'd expect from a Harvard professor who seems to have no sex drive nor any desire to fall in love. He's in love with ideas and he makes the reader fall in love with ide ...more
Matt
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Dan Brown is back with another explosive addition to the Robert Langdon series, after a less than enthusiastic fourth book. When iconoclast and renowned atheist Edmund Kirsch speaks, the world listens. His premonitions along all fronts have been earth-shattering and by enriching his statements with the use of computers, Kirsch adds a level of 21st century to his Nostradamus character. Meeting with senior representatives of the world’s three major monotheistic religions, Kirsch tells of an announ ...more
Mackey
FIVE STARS and FIVE MORE!!
Nothing is invented, for its written in nature first. Originality consists of returning to the Origin." -Antoni Gaudi

Where did we come from? Where are we going? These are the two most basic, yet important questions mankind asks of itself. For thousands of years man has struggled with these questions and, in an attempt to fill the void where there is no definite absolute, has created stories and gods to explain the inexplicable.

This book, which is one of
James
When Origin, the fifth in the Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown, was published last Fall, I couldn't wait to read it. Unfortunately, I had several ARCS, giveaways, and commitments that forced me to hold off until just this week to read it - nearly 5 months of misery. I cried when my fellow readers published reviews and I couldn't look at them. I kicked things when the book mocked me on the shelf. Yet I survived and made it my priority this week... in the end, it was a good read and I will always enjoy Brown ...more
Sepani
So after reading all Dan Brown’s books, I think I finally found the most interesting book among the five; which is ORIGIN

This book also starts with the same structure like his previous novels which focuses about the religion and the past while this book speaks about the religion and the future. In here the author gives the answers to the most basic and important questions which are;

Where did we come from?
Where are we going?

The second question made me astounded, but in a way I agree with/>/>Where
Justin Tate
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Brown is the premiere source for edge-of-your-seat thrillers, and Origin doesn't disappoint. This time Robert Langdon finds himself somewhat out of water when a murder ploy involving a futurist atheist and varying religious figures takes a high-tech turn. As always, the secret sauce is Brown's ability to incorporate research into the high-stakes adventure. We get some of the classic art history type stuff, but also a lot of forward-thinking technology concepts that truly fascinate.

On the po
Sara
It was morning. It was possible to tell this because the sun was in the sky and it was no longer dark out. Chestnut maned, voluptuous reference librarian Sara Fiore gradually felt herself awaken from a sleep which had lasted approximately seven hours. She turned on her side and allowed her brown eyes, one of which was slightly droopier than the other to linger lazily on the still sleeping form of her lithe and marvelously sexy husband Dan (who might be just a tad annoyed at being included in this rev ...more
Sr3yas
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
-------------------------- Genesis 1:1

Where did God come from? And if we decide this to be unanswerable, why not save a step and decide that the origin of the universe is an unanswerable question?
--------------------------Carl Sagan

Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?
----------------------- Paul Gauguin

Langdon's fifth outing to the world questions the origin of life and future of mankind, and promises exciting answers to these questions that will shake the foundation of theearth.
--------------------------
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
[Oct 15, 2016] I can't wait for this!

Months and months and months ago (last year), I was waiting for September to come, when the date was pushed to October and when October the 3rd came I forgot about the release date, which is today! I went for lunch and walked as usual to the nearest bookstore to find the display to Origin being set!

[Oct 15, 2016] I can't wait for this!

I'm glad to announce that I am the first person to buy this book in Kuwait! How cool is that?! I can't wait to begin reading! This edition is the UK first edition.

Sumit RK
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At the outset, I must admit that I am a big fan of Dan Brown. I have read his every book and the Robert Langdon series is one of my favourites. But the latest offering has left me disappointed. His latest offering Origin is by far his weakest; a uninspired narrative, lacking creative depth and most importantly a formulaic Langdon thriller that just doesn’t feel like a Dan Brown original. Origin is the fifth Dan Brown book featuring Langdon. Brown’s story explores the two existential questions: W ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Origin (Robert Langdon, #5), Dan Brown
Robert Langdon, Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconology, arrives at the ultramodern Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao to attend a major announcement—the unveiling of a discovery that “will change the face of science forever.” The evening’s host is Edmond Kirsch, a forty-year-old billionaire and futurist whose dazzling high-tech inventions and audacious predictions have made him a renowned global figure. Kirsch, who was one of Langdon’s first s
Calista
I read this as summer reading. It was fun and thought provoking for me. I do find the way Dan Brown tells the story to be so annoying. He draws certain things out to create tension, but in me it was not good. It made me want to set the book aside because it was so annoying. He will start telling part of the narrative we want to hear and then a character will go off on a tangent for a while before coming back to the story. Really?

This is the 5th Robert Langdon book and I love the symb
Tahera
So I will just sift through the final chapters once again before I write anything....which really won't be a lot! :P
______________________________________________________

Right, so after a lot of soul searching, 2* is the max I can give for this book and I am being lenient. This has to be the most under whelming book I have read in the R.L. series so far!

Very early on in the book, there are two instances where Robert Langdon feels that:
1) Tonight's audience was not exactly the 'home crowd' for a professor of religious symbology
2) I've entered a parallel universe

______________________________________________________

2) I've entered a parallel universe

I know what you mean Mr. Langdon. I felt lost while reading the book, I can only imagine what you must have gone through being in it -_- :P.

The book basically covers two question:
Where do we come from?
Where are we going?
Perfectly reasonable questions to ask but Mr. Dan Brown took such a bloody long time to get to the answers that I lost interest mid way and it stayed that way for the remainder of the book. When he finally did get around to the answers, I could have cared less because by that time I had come up with my own simpler answers to the said questions:

Q Where do we come from?
A Um our mothers' womb.

Q Where are we going?
A Eventually six feet under.

It's so

There I am finally done with this review!
Jerry Jose
Well, I won’t lie. I had fun.

Dan Brown novels are like Michael Bay movies; both were once cool and are now timeworn by overstaying the welcome. Well, if you are content with what to expect, they could still be easy entertainment. But this one surprised me, by being bad. I was more curious about whether everything in this book will remain in Spain or move to Catalonia by the time I finished it, than the promised big secret. ‘Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition’, right?

For the fifth time in a row, existence of the
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
★☆☆☆☆

When I finished this book in December, I posted a vague teaser and left it unrated. Now, it’s finally time to end the suspense—not that my rating or harsh words will be much of a surprise to those that know me. Which begs the question, why would I subject myself to a book I seemingly had little chance of enjoying? What’s that quote about setting aside childish things and whatnot? Wasn’t there a legitimate reason why I gave up on Dan Brown nearly a decade ago?

Probably, but this was a Christmas present fr
TS Chan
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Origin is not likely to win literary awards nor garner critical acclaim; for what it's worth though, it is darn entertaining.

Ever since I've picked up The Da Vinci Code, I've been hooked on the Robert Langdon books. I admit that I have a weakness for the formula Dan Brown utilises for his thrillers, employing an intoxicating mix of history, art, poetry, symbols, codes, and famous landmarks or architecture. A rousing adventure through exotic and renowned locations that have me reaching for Google search ever
Macy_Novels at Night
I adore Dan Brown. I did not adore this book much as his others. I was impatiently anticipating the release of Origin, with the expectation that I would be just as sucked in to this book, as I was the others. I might hastily recommend that Dan retire his Robert Langon series and begin anew with something else. I feel like the same story line is being used over and over again, with a exotic woman that has a sorted past. A man of Dan's intelligence must know that this idea is becoming redundant. T ...more
Suanne Laqueur
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was quintessential Dan Brown. A literary masterpiece? Of course not, and that's not why I read him. Origin isn't his best. Overwritten in some places, underwritten in others. Premise wasn't as tight as his others but still, fast-paced, exciting, interesting, a bit of armchair travel, a crash course in art/architecture every other chapter, decent food for thought and the added bonus of having Tom Hanks in your head.

Not a bad way to spend 24 hours.
RedemptionDenied
Damn. I've broken a cardinal rule; by adding another book. I've read the first four Langdon' novels, which I enjoyed, and can't wait for this to be released.
Adrian
Review to follow, but this was very close to a 5 ⭐read

I have in the past read a number of Dan Brown books and really enjoyed them, this was as my initial comment suggest, no exception.
I suppose because I find the films enjoyable that I naturally see and hear Tom Hanks as I read this book. No bad thing as in a way it makes it more personal.
This book I suppose could be classed as formulaic as it is very similar to some of his others, but as I haven’t read one for many a year I did no
Play Book Tag: {Horizons Spain] Origin, by Dan Brown, 4 stars 6 16 Nov 05, 2019 03:31PM
Play Book Tag: (Horizon) Origin - Dan Brown - 4 stars 5 16 Oct 21, 2019 04:27PM
Libri Labra Book ...: Dan Brown 1 4 Sep 15, 2019 01:42PM
Action/Adventure ...: June 2019 Random Read I Group Read: Origin by Dan Brown *Spoilers* 7 13 Jun 14, 2019 05:30AM
loop holes in the story (SPOILER ALERT) 21 959 Feb 12, 2019 08:57PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect referencing as "standalone" 2 12 Feb 09, 2019 11:59PM
OPEN LETTER TO DAN BROWN 1 45 Jan 26, 2019 07:56AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Lost Order (Cotton Malone, #12)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • The Demon Crown (Sigma Force, #13)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Aroma Karsa
  • The Deceit
  • The Lost Treasure of the Templars (The Lost Treasure of the Templars #1)
  • The Fifth Gospel
  • The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Millennium, #5)
  • The Kraken Project (Wyman Ford, #4)
  • The Holy Bullet (Vatican #2)
  • A Fórmula de Deus
  • Das Jesus-Video
Dan Brown is the author of numerous #1 bestselling novels, including The Da Vinci Code, which has become one of the best selling novels of all time as well as the subject of intellectual debate among readers and scholars. Brown’s novels are published in 52 languages around the world with 200 million copies in print.

In 2005, Brown was named one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World

Robert Langdon (5 books)
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)
  • Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)
“Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. —WINSTON CHURCHILL” 116 likes
“Historically, the most dangerous men on earth were men of God…especially when their gods became threatened.” 79 likes