Start by marking “The Broken World (Marked Girl #2)” as Want to Read:
The Broken World (Marked Girl #2)

The Broken World

(Marked Girl #2)

The adventures of three teen royals and foster girl Liv, which began in The Marked Girl, conclude in this exciting sequel.

In the fantasy world of Caelum, Liv, Cedric, and Kat must attempt to defeat an evil traitor and his army to save their families and the kingdom. But the city they left behind is facing its own problems: back in Los Angeles, the sky is orange, gravity is
Published August 29th 2017 by Harper Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Broken World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken World

Simona Bartolotta
I didn't think this day would ever come (and seeing how it did come, now I should probably wonder why it came this late), but it seems I must admit it: I think I finally got too old for this kind of books. I can't say I am happy with this turn of events, though.

The Broken World is the second and last instalment in a duology which, last year, captured my attention because of its humor, light tones and snarky MC. In this conclusion, all these elements come back in full force, but somehow, none
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Marked Girl was my surprise book of 2016 so I knew I just had to read the sequel and I loved it just as much as book 1! I'm super sad it was only a duology I'd love to read more especially about the characters in Caelum!
ضحى الحداد
4.5 stars !!
Oh man, it has been a long while since I last loved a series this much .. this sequel was just amazing full of action, adventure and a good dose of humor, I liked the group and the ending .. it was really good and I enjoyed it soo much .. I really recommend this series if you want an adventure of a life time :)
Rmsooon
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ive read " the broken world " ,, it was amazing i loved it so enjoyable ,, i gave it 5 out of 5 stars
Teenreadsdotcom
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Klingele’s THE MARKED GIRL follows the point of view of two characters, Liv and Cedric. Liv wants to be a filmmaker. The closest she has come to a fantasy world is through CGI. This all changes once she meets Cedric. He’s the crown prince from a world called Caelum. In escaping the evil within his homeland, he jumps into a portal that takes him to Los Angeles. In order to return home, he needs to find the fabled scrolls. Liv agrees to help him, even though she doesn’t want him to leave. ...more
Lauren R.
3.5 stars. Hmmm, didn’t like it as much as the first but still good! I think it was a little scattered maybe? I’m not sure how to describe it. The ending was cheesy and not realistic, but still made sense based on the book/series itself. I’m intrigued by this whole portal fantasy subgenre so if anyone has recs, hit me up!
Faith
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute, kind of cheesy (see chapter titles) and overall very Disney channel-ish, in a good way.
Tracey
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4.5/5 stars
Forrest
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the The Marked Girl and Broken World novels, Lindsey Klingele has crafted some amazing fantasy YA fiction (not to mention an endearing love letter to Los Angeles). The world(s) feels vibrant and lived in, the characters relatable and amusing and the story propels along at a nice clip, with enough twists and surprises to give you that "okay, just ONE more chapter and then I'll go to bed" feeling. But above all, I appreciate how it doesn't feel like it panders or talks down to its intended audi ...more
Antonella's book world
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, this book is...how can you describe a book that made you feel so many emotions at once? I think I loved this duology from the very start, from the first page. This second book was...everything I was expecting. I want to thank the author for let me live this fantastic adventures with all the characters. I wish I could read more books like these.
Hira Chaudhary
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was honestly as amazing and epic as the first, and such a perfect conclusion to this wonderful series. I loved getting to see all our faves again and seeing how much they grew and how they all became a family and support system for each other. I loved Cedric and Liv to no end. I love that Kat is gonna be the badass warrior queen she was always meant to be. Rafe was a grand addition to the team. Peter and Joe are the sweetest sweeties to ever sweet. And Shannon and Merek are my OTP for ...more
Mina
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
**Review originally posted on My Fangirl Chronicles**

Real Rating: 3.5

Even though I had a lukewarm opinion on the first book, The Marked Girl, I was still looking forward to reading the sequel The Broken World. I guess one of the main reasons why is because it's an urban fantasy set in the city I live in so it's really cool reading about all these places that I recognize and can picture in my mind perfectly. I loved how Lindsey described LA and how magic transformed it into a post-apocalyptic gho
Natalie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
3.5/5 stars
(Series review)

The Broken World is the sequel to The Marked Girl, about a foster girl named Liv, with an aspiration for film-making. She entire world is turned upside-down (literally) by the arrival of Cedric, Kat, and Merek, royals from another world.

Overall, I really enjoyed this series. It was different from anything else I have ever read, and I loved the way the author went about the differences between the two worlds. This series is completely relatable in the way that this is th
Cait Jacobs (Caitsbooks)
4.5/5 Stars!

The Marked Girl was one of my absolute favorite books of 2016, and with most books I love, the sequel can never equal the first. But trust me when I say this one is just as good as book one!!!

In book one, we have a great premise, fun characters, witty dialogue, and interesting world building. The Broken World continues to keep all of those aspects and beautifully ties together everything we learned from The Marked Girl, while introducing even more!

If you enjoyed The Marked Girl, you
Jenelle
I admit, I’m surprised I liked it. It does have a sort of free-wheeling, self-published sort of feel. In fact, it reminded me of a couple other indie series’ I’ve read, one of which I just realized is called The Marked Son.

Even without the similar title, there are tons of parallels. But with that series, I fizzled halfway through book 2.

I was glad Klingele was able to tie up her story in two books because it kept things fast paced.

And I think the audio is kind of what did it. Amazing how a see
Nicole Elisabeth
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the conclusion of this book. There was so much action, fighting, and trying to save two worlds from being consumed by magic. I loved the addition of Cedric and Liv's story. Their "romance" was not over the top and did not consume the story, but it was a great little addition. I kept rooting for them the entire book even when it felt like two people from two different worlds could never make it work.
Lilly
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maddie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
There was a lot going on in this book. Lots of magic, destruction and finally deciding where your path will truly take you. Luv dealt with a lot after that first portal funny Cedric and the gang in LA. And now she has even more to worry about now that Earth is fighting against the magic that leaked through. But put a band of misfits together against some evil guys and tada people might actually “accept the magic”
Sophia
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating was 3.5 stars.

So I enjoyed this book a lot and it was a very quick read just like The Marked Girl was, but by no means was it literature. I took off 1.5 stars because of the very cheesy ending and the quality (or lack thereof) in the author’s writing. All the same, the story was interesting and I liked all of the characters accept one or two.

Would recommend this series for a fun and quick read, but keep in mind that you are by no means reading a classic.
Amber
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm still debating on what rating I want to give this. I keep thinking 4 but might leave it at 3.

I really loved the first book in this series. It was a ton of fun and extremely enjoyable. But I unfortunately didn't like the sequel as much. It's not a bad book by any means. It just didn't hold up for me in comparison to the first book.
Monae
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first, but a necessary read to finish what was a huge cliff hanger in the last book. I really felt like the story dragged in this one. Kudos to the author for not dragging it into a trilogy, but maybe she should have just written one book and made the first one longer. Still very clean, and if your kids are into teen romance, this would be a good one for them to read.
Ashley
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad! A pretty good ending to the duology. All loose ends are resolved, and all the characters end up in a place that's satisfying and makes sense. I did find the resolution a bit cheesy though, and I wish we had gotten to see more of the magic of Caelum, but enjoyed the book overall.
Wendie Berry
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This is another sequel book. I would say it's an okay read. I am not really finding a whole lot of motivation in my young adult fantasy this summer. I'm not sure if it's the books or me, but this one was okay.
Madeline McGrath
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i was soooo happy after i read this!!!
Jean
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The ending was completely ridiculous.
Kendra
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
To be honest, it was pretty boring...I seriously contemplated not finishing it, but I ended up finishing just for the sake of knowing the ending. I guess it just didn't catch my interest.
Apurbo Khan
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A good teenage romantic fantasy.
Sophie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
not as good as the 1st....

• Crystal Blade (Burning Glass, #2)
  • Nutcracked
  • Thief's Cunning (Assassin's Heart #2)
  • Ruin of Stars (Mask of Shadows, #2)
  • The Ice-Maiden and Other Tales
  • Iron Man: The Gauntlet
  • Ravenous (Monstrous, #2)
  • The Rat Prince
  • Night Magic (Nightstruck, #2)
  • Obsidian and Stars (Ivory and Bone, #2)
  • While You Were Gone (Duplexity, #2)
  • Dreamer (Traveler, #2)
  • Heart of Ash (Blood and Salt, #2)
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • A Dress for the Wicked
  • Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den (Simon Thorn, #1)
  • Blight
  • Circle of Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #2)
Lindsey Klingele grew up in Western Michigan, where she read every book she could get her hands on. She eventually moved to Los Angeles (the real land of make believe) and worked as a writers' assistant for TV shows such as THE LYING GAME and TWISTED. She still loves living in LA, especially since it's home to great television shows, truly excellent cheeseburgers, and her pitbull, Bighead.

Marked Girl (2 books)
  • The Marked Girl (Marked Girl, #1)