Start by marking “On the Way to Simple” as Want to Read:
On the Way to Simple

On the Way to Simple

Dakota Ames had everything under control, or so she thought.
Ever since her father's accident on duty as a fireman, she promised herself she would always have a plan. Life couldn't throw her a curve anymore.
That is until her best friend Alex enlisted in the Navy.
This couldn't happen. It wasn't part of her plan. She hadn't even worked up the nerve to tell him she loved him.
Published December 6th 2016

To ask other readers questions about On the Way to Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Way to Simple

Jessica Calla
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book. I can't say enough good things about it. Ms. Acres wrote a beautiful story of friendship, love, family and loss.

The main character, college senior and wannabe professional party planner Dakota, can't function without a plan. When she decides to tell her best friend since forever, Alex, that she loves him, she ends up backing out, afraid of the consequences. Dakota also hates "uniforms," because of something that happened with her father, a former fireman. When Alex enlists in the Nav
Becca
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I finished this book in one evening. Not something totally out of the ordinary, but a sign that it really kept me interested.

I laughed (maybe once or twice). I cried (I was not expecting to cry).

This book was somewhat predictable while being totally interesting at the same time. I had a feeling about what was going to happen, but I enjoyed the journey. I really liked the main character, Dakota. She is a good person while having some flaws. I wish we could have learned more about some of the sup
Michelle Joyce Bond
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful tearjerker dealing with love and loss. Well-written and realistic new adult romance!
Megan
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I should probably start off with saying a little bit about the book. But I feel that would do it no justice, also the blurb is enough. I was given this book to review.
Initial thoughts-
So the first ten pages, I thought I knew how the book would end. I thought either it could go cliché or just the type of book I need to be reading right now, e.g. an uplifting read.
Thoughts on the characters-
The more I read about Dakota and Alex’s relationship and the conversations I have, I automatically think ‘H
Namrata Ganti
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and heart warming story of friendship, love, acceptance and the beauty of life. This is a story that will tug at the heart strings of the reader. The ups and downs of life are beautifully portrayed in this story and it's a pleasure to see the characters grow into stronger people.

Dakota, the main protagonist, has a plan for everything. She thinks that she can control the direction her life takes, including how everyone close to her affects it. What she doesn't realize is that plans ar
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
I had a few issues with this but overall I really enjoyed reading it. my review will be up on Books Are My Fandom soon!
B.M. Sandy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On the Way to Simple is a deceptively poignant novel: I wasn't expecting to be sucked into a world with refreshing prose and poise, but I was. This is one of those books that leaves you almost breathless when it's over; it changes you. I'm not alone in that sentiment by far, yet it bears saying again. Jennifer Acres has managed to tell a story that is absolutely earth-shattering and satisfying all at once - an emotional journey that won't be forgotten.

The story begins with a young woman named Da
Ivy
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-picks
When I first agreed to review Jennifer's novel, I had planned on finishing off a couple of different books beforehand and sitting down to read it whenever I got the chance, but of course, that didn't happen!

I had strayed away from my reading schedule for a few weeks now and I really didn't feel like going back to it. So when On the Way to Simple arrived, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it!

In fact, once I took it out of the package, I couldn't put it down! I ended up reading the entire book in
Meghana Sarathy
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-triangle, 2017, arc
This story was so beautiful. Though it's not the usual kind of book I read, it was a pleasant and refreshing change. It was sweet and nice.
I don't usually describe the story in my reviews and even for this one, I won't dwell much on it. The blurb gives a very good picture but also leaves scope for a lot of assumptions. My first assumption was that it is a love triangle and that was what made me pick this book, but I was wrong...sort of. Even if I do call it it a love triangle, it's not the typi
K.L. + Pierce
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
First confession: at first I was a little wary of this book because, from the synopsis, I suspected there would be a love triangle involved, and I absolutely hate love triangles. But, the story sounded intriguing, so I thought I would give it a try anyway. Second confession: I am so glad I did!

Dakota is absolutely a planner. She figures out a plan, and she sticks to it like her life depends on it. That is, until Alex enlists into the Navy, and she meets his fellow recruit, Will. Through her int
Kat J
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Warning: Please prepare tissues... my bed is now covered in them.

I honestly did not expect to cry so much but this book really tugged on the heart strings. Seeing two best friends too afraid to tell each other what they really want and then life gets in the way of everything and splits them up that they don't even know how to mend their relationship.

It was a little difficult at the beginning for me to accept what Dakota was doing - but in many ways, I can't blame her either. Her actions were a p
Mary Kate
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
On the Way to Simple by Jennifer Acres novel was heart wrenchingly beautiful. I tried so hard not to get emotional but in the end, the feels caught up with me. The main character Dakota is just so darn relatable. Being a young twenty something I remember having many of the thoughts Dakota had regarding life, love, and the future. Life can be a mess sometimes and it is really hard to figure out one's emotions quickly. Dakota struggles to sort through her feelings for two guys and is constantly se ...more
Karin
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story, albeit it had its sad moments too but, I still really enjoyed it.

Dakota is the lead in the book who is ready to tell her best friend Alex she's in love with him. The only problem is Dakota doesn't like when things aren't wrapped up in a pretty little bow and she gets taken by surprise by Alex. Then she gets introduced to Will. I adored Will!!! He was perfect!! But regardless of how much Dakota likes life written and planned out things still go haywire for her.

I genuinely
Ariella
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is a love triangle. Dakota doesn't want to date a man in uniform. Her dad was a fireman and got injury. Alex is Dakota best friend and he loves her. Dakota finds out Alex enlists and gets angry with him. Will is in Alex unit. When Will first met Dakota it was instant love but she was hesitant. Kaylee Dakota friend gets married to Daniel right before they deployed. The twist at the end made me so angry. They still get their happy ending!
Larissa
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simply Beautiful

This story. I don't have the words to describe the beauty of this story. I literally stayed up most of the night reading because it gripped me from the very beginning. There were times it made me angry and I wanted to throw things at the characters. There were times it broke me and I cried. But it also had me smiling, clutching my heart with the perfection of it all. Ms. Acres has definitely joined my must read list!!
Chelsea Richardson-Audacious Reads
This was a good story. However prepare to be devastated. It will make you cry. I thought the end could of been better the author could of at least included an epilogue with more to the end story. Overall it was a really good book it was hard to put down once I began reading.
Heather Van Fleet
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two words: Tear. Jerker.

This novel was incredible. Emotionally endearing with a cast of amazing characters as well. It was extremely well written and I can't rec it enough. Ms. Acres is definitely my new autobuy author.
Joel Bain
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the Way to Simple is a well written, engaging story of friendship and love. Jennifer writes beautifully and the prose is enjoyable. Dakota is a character, who based on previous life experience, struggles to operate without sticking to plan; there is little room for variables or unknowns. When her life gets thrown into crisis by an unknown being realized, she finds herself on a journey toward a simpler life of embracing the unknown, though it feels like it may be the death of her.

There are som
Razann M
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

(Copy generously provided by author for an honest review via New Adult Book Club)

I'll begin this review by saying that Jennifer Acres has a beautiful writing style, which I really liked.
As for the story, I enjoyed it for the most part. I loved Will and Alex, they were both so sweet; I loved their characters. Dakota, on the other hand, was very unlikable. I tried so hard to like her character, but I just couldn't. I couldn't connect with her; she was very immature, self-absorbed, way to
Föx
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels-to-read
The characters are very relatable and realistic. When we assume we have it together, our arrogance blinds us in the decisions made. We take for granted those we need and love the most.

I was angry with Dakota and Alex on a lot of their decisions. Several times, I had to put my kindle down to give myself a mental break because I was so mad. I felt the confusion and uncertainty from Dakota. I could totally relate to her abandonment issues and how her life basically was driven by that fear of it.

D
Heather Van Fleet
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-t-wait
Two words: Tear. Jerker.

This book will truly rock your world. not only is it stunningly beautiful, but it's also poignant and filled with heart. Simply put? I loved it.
Kiara
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 "I'm going to keep this review as vague but informative as possible so I can keep the spoilers tag off stars" lol!

Okay so... this book tricked me.

It's a love triangle, but not really at all. There was no cheating (thank goodness), and it was always clear who she'd end up with.

I'm kind of disappointed in this book, but kind of not. In this book, Dakota is with two different heros at two different times, but like I said earlier, you kinda already knew how it'd end. I did anyway. There was a
S. J. Y. C.
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 STARS!

On the Way to Simple by Jennifer Acres is a standalone novel. I was provided a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

On the Way to Simple is about a girl named Dakota who lives by having plans. She has planned out her life, her future, ever since the death of her father. And in those plans, her childhood best friend Alex is supposed to remain her friend. Nowhere in her plans does she confess her true feelings for him. And especially nowhere in her plans was Alex supposed to enlist i
Annalisa Crawford
Feb 16, 2017 added it
Shelves: own
I won a copy of this book via the author's website. I'm not a huge NA reader, so I've decided not to give this book a rating - I don't want the author's average to go down just because I didn't get on with this book.

The premise was good, the writing was very good and kept me reading to the end. I think, maybe, I'd have preferred a different outcome, but that really says more about me than the story. The confusion of loss and grief is handled sensitively.

Part of my problem, in general, with NA bo
Judith
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Dakota has something against men in uniform. She doesn't hate them, but the possible danger that comes with their line of work is scary. She knows this first hand from the accident that left her fireman father injured. So what greater betrayal could there be than her best friend/crush enlisting in the Navy? I really felt for Alex in this book. Dakota let him down in many ways due to her selfishness. Just like her bff/roommate asked her, what difference did it make that Alex was in the Navy, when ...more
Sep 25, 2017
J. P. Dailing
Jan 11, 2017
Jessica
Jun 02, 2017
New Adult Book Club: #156/16 On The Way To Simple by Jennifer Acres 57 63 Jan 14, 2017 10:20AM
  • Nyssa Glass and the Cutpurse Kid (Nyssa Glass, #3)
  • At the Edge of a Dark Forest
  • Heir of Hope (Follower of the Word, #3)
  • Running Lean
  • A Dream Not Imagined
  • My Dear Cold-Blooded King
  • One Night With a Rock Star
  • Bookends
  • Sean Donovan (The Californians, #3)
  • The Silent Songbird (Hagenheim, #7)
  • Love Amid The Ashes
  • The Treason of Mary Louvestre
  • During the Fall
  • Running: Ian's Story
  • Missing You by Harlan Coben -- Review
  • Secondary Characters
  • A Shot of Brandi
  • Haunted Richmond, Virginia
Jennifer Acres' writing experience began back before she attended Houston Baptist University, where she earned a Bachelor of Music in Composition. She wrote three screenplays both during her time there and after, all of which received awards from the Houston International Film Festival. After working as a script supervisor in Houston and L.A., she discovered that she was in love with story and wan ...more