Start by marking “The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,138 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Revised second edition in September, 2016

Interested in innovating and creating a customer focused culture like Amazon? In The Amazon Way, Rossman introduces readers to the unique corporate culture of the world’s largest Internet retailer, with a focus on the fourteen leadership principles that have guided and shaped its decisions and its distinctive leadership culture -- a

Kindle Edition, 2nd, 137 pages
Published September 20th 2016 by Clyde Hill Publishing (first published May 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazon Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazon Way

Sairam Krishnan
Work reading. A short, rather rushed introduction to the management principles that have made Amazon what it is today. Definitely a good read, but a few more examples in some places and some deeper exploration of the ideas in some others would have made the book much better.

Still an interesting read, however, and worth the two or so hours it will take of your time.
Alexander
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is basically an advocacy brochure for Amazon Leadership Principles. As far as the Principles go, I am a big fan - they are honest, emphasize the right traits and suggest really robust behavior patterns. I definitely find myself reviewing them and checking my decisions against them on a regular basis. So from that aspect, this book is highly recommended.

I do disagree however with the Author's insistence, that these Principles are inextricably linked to the "gladiator pit" corporate cultu
Niki Agrawal
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does exactly what it's supposed to. It details the 14 leadership principles that Amazon uses with memorable examples and sticky stories. You will likely reference a few of these later, especially if you are in product or tech. If you are simply interested in learning more about Amazon's culture, this book is also for you.

Easy read (or Audible listen). Well-written. And the book balances tiny details with overarching themes very well. (A summary of the 14 principles does no justice to t
Chris
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and very clear as business books go.
Oana Kovacs
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good business book - stands up to its title and delivers what it promises. Also, it is clear and straightforward, no beating around the bush here.
Cyril Danthi
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Amazon Way, introduces readers to the unique corporate culture of the world’s largest Internet retailer, with a focus on the fourteen leadership principles that have guided and shaped its decisions and its distinctive leadership culture.
I found this book interesting with easy flow on each of the principles with some examples. . Amazon is one of the globally admired companies. The book just reflects on the 14 principles of leadership that build a great organisation. The crux of these 14 prin
Adolf
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy to read, nothing that is not public, however it has the most key and very simple examples for business process ideas and corporate leadership to sucess on delivery results.
Daniil Bratchenko
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is inspiring to the extent Amazon leadership principles (https://www.amazon.jobs/principles) are inspiring. If you consider reading the book, read the principles first. If you want one more level of detail, go ahead.

The book is not too long and it is good.
Sumit Singla
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and inspiring, these are not just values that a company adopts, they should also be guiding principles that all corporate professionals should adopt. If only, we use these parameters to lead us, we would never have an Enron or an Arthur Andersen.

I really appreciated the examples, anecdotes, and stories in the book, which brought the 14 principles to life.

The only (minor) complaint that I have is - the author looked like he was in a bit of a hurry to finish and so didn't devote enough
Again as a current employee and a Full Cycle Recruiter; reading this book didn't reveal anything I haven't already learned. Again it was a reinforcement to the culture and now I know what most candidates read before coming in to interview with us. It's great material for background knowledge but a candidate must have some quality evidence to prove they can back-up the principals they claim they have.
Mike
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look at the mindset and culture of the leaders at Amazon.
Geoff
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good quick read but quite insightful for business process ideas and corporate leadership.
Brian Nwokedi
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Introduction
The Amazon Way is a book by a former executive on the 14 leadership principles that drive their success. Above all though, it is clear the only thing that really matters is the customer. At the core of everything Amazon does from systems to the way in which they compensate their employees is this obsession over the customer. The Amazon Way is your guide into how Jeff Bezos built the Everything Store that now dominates.

Why Should You Read This Book?
Amazon has been one of the most disr
Semen Krasilnikov
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book. Interesting principles, good to know and aknowledge not to go to Amazon for a work. Really, don’t want to change my “Country Club” to these Day 1 principles, internal budget optimizations, almost military discipline and lower then average income philosophy. As a customer I mostly satisfied with services they built. But... they are not ideal and tranperent for end users in many cases from my personal experience. Not that good as they think about. Especially, in cases related t ...more
Ross
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good concise summary of Amazon’s values

This is a quick read. I finished it in a single sitting. That said, if you’re interested in how Amazon works it may be the most accessible way to understand the company’s internal culture. I came away with a much deeper respect not just for Bezos and Amazon’s early corporate team, but for every worker who’s managed to persevere there over the years. I also learned a great deal more about the best aspects of Amazon’s famously “gladiatorial” method of getting
Kulturozpyt Prumerny
Alright. Done. As I mentioned earlier, this book is perfect for somebody, who wants to get ready for an interview at Amazon. Book contains all 14 leading principles which are used at Amazon. It's a good book. It's two pages of principles expanded to 1X0 page. You read a lot of stories and Jeffism and it's a nice reminder of the The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon which I read year ago. I recommend it as a book to an airplane if you happen to fly to Seattle for an appointment t ...more
Charles
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble rating this book. The topic was fascinating, the content intriguing. But the writing was very difficult to slog through.
The 14 ideas from amazon are something every major company should embrace. But, the way they were presented was marginally more informative than a bulleted PowerPoint list. More stories. An explanation of why someone would leave this environment.
He had a good idea. And even the format is well done as a reading circle or team building exercise. But, again, the wr
Tanner
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paperback. 2.5 stars. This was a book I read for work. I consider it a glorified series of blog posts on Amazon's leadership principles. John worked at Amazon for about 4 years in a director position (which is about level 8, with Bezos being a level 11 in the hierarchy). I was put off by the typos, the way the book seems to taper in terms of content toward the latter principles, and the lack of second-level insights or insider information. The good news--the leadership principles are impressive, ...more
Daniela Velásquez
¡Excelente libro!
El autor expone claramente 14 principios de liderazgo que se practican en Amazon.com desde su experiencia como ex empleado de la compañía.
Son principios que invitan a cuestionarse la manera en que muchas compañías lideran en la actualidad.
Lo más importante es entender que los principios existen y se trabaja sobre ellos porque hay una cultura alrededor. Si no se transforma la cultura, no hay forma de llevarlos a la acción.
La pregunta es... ¿están actualmente las compañías tra
Henk Devos
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like about this book is that it's very short, meaning it didn't take me too much time to read it.
The 14 principles (which are listed on the Amazon web site) are well explained and there is certainly a lot to lears for people outside of Amazon. There's a reason why Amazon got successful, and besides pure luck, the principles described here are certainly part of that.
I would recommend reading this book, especially considering that it will not take up too much of your time.
Jaikrishnan Ramachandran
The author has a lucid writing style and kept me engaged from the first to the last page. He picks up one leadership principle at a time, explaining with interesting examples and tales of the founders approach to leadership. The book is inspiring. The last few chapters, focus on aspects of a "Platform" business and 10 critical factors to succeed are called out. This will help entrepreneurs who are looking to scaling their business. The time spent on these 110 pages were well worth it for me.
Sibel Calayır
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good reading, I found it very useful for young leaders who want to expand their business and improve the service quality. In this book, there are lots of leassons to be learned and techniques to put into practice. It is not a recipe for being successful in business world; just a kind of a useful road map for the directors as long as they apply it completely to their daily professional life, and use for making good decisions.
Yamato
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book.
So many insightful way of life principles.
Need to reference to remind myself to apply towards my day job as well.

We have become a big slow company over time, after starting out as a nimble entreprenurial company....
Will need to check back on my notes that I wrote while reading this book.
Thomas A LaRosa
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good, quick read

There isn’t much waste or repetition in this book. The principals are laid out neatly with Amazon specific situations to illustrate points.

Is it a game changer? Probably not for most and the reason has nothing to do with this book. It has everything to do with your Orgs ability to see these principals through.
Steve Esso
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Concise book on Amazon's 14 Leadership Principles

Concise and great description of the fourteen Amazon Leadership principles. I've also enjoyed so much the two appendices. The facts that the author was an amazonian helps to better understand each of these principles and many of them can be adapted to forge team's culture.
Zain Fathoni
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book explains the 14 Leadership Principles comprehensively, from the employee point of view.
John Rossman describes the practical implementations of those principles within Amazon, in case-by-case basis. It enriches our insights regarding those principles so we can try to implement those principles in our workplace.
Metin Tiryaki
Eski bir Amazon çalışanı olan John Rosmann tarafından yazılmış kitap tamamen Amazon şirketinin 14 yönetim prensiplerinin günlük hayatta şirket içerisinde nasıl uygulandığını örneklerle anlatmış. Sadece meraklısına.
Suresh
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Concise and Precise read

A very concise and precise read on Amazon Principles - gets your energy level going while reading 😊. These principles apply for both professional and personal life!
Anil Saka
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Must read for newbies of Amazon

As an outsider to Amazon , gives you an insight on the culture and values of the company and clearly summarizes on what it takes to be a platform company giving value to customers.
David
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A definition of the RightStuff

Enlightening, provocative, and new. Some Amazon people I spoke with had not yet heard of this book. Takes the 14 Principles off the wall and makes them addressable. Inspiring with a push to action.
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
  • 11 Rules for Creating Value in the Social Era
  • The Essential Wooden: A Lifetime of Lessons on Leaders and Leadership
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business with a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • The Maruti Story - How a public sector company put India on wheels
  • Scrum Shortcuts Without Cutting Corners: Agile Tactics, Tools, & Tips
  • Beyond the Goal: Eliyahu Goldratt Speaks on the Theory of Constraints
  • Holacracy: The New Management System for a Rapidly Changing World
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • This Business Has Legs: How I Used Infomercial Marketing to Create the $100,000,000 Thighmaster Craze: An Entrepreneurial Adventure Story
  • Beyond Entrepreneurship: Turning Your Business Into an Enduring Great Company
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • The Daily You: How the New Advertising Industry Is Defining Your Identity and Your Worth
  • Collaboration: How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Build Common Ground, and Reap Big Results
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
  • Good Profit: How Creating Value for Others Built One of the World's Most Successful Companies

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Blood River: The Terrifying Journey Through The World's Most Dangerous Country
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Through a Window: My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
“Strong processes with measurable outcomes eliminate bureaucracy and expose underperformers.” 0 likes
“Putting together a slideshow makes it all too easy for employees to only skim the surface of their ideas while creating the illusion of an intelligent argument.” 0 likes