Start by marking “Devil's Slave (American Monsters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Slave (American Monsters, #1)

Devil's Slave

(American Monsters #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
I thought I knew what hell was. After years as a cop, I was sure I'd seen the worst humanity had to offer.

I had no f*cking idea.

Now I know I've seen hell. Hell is the basement of an industrial warehouse where the rich, bored and psychotic buy their pleasure at the cost of innocent men and women.

I will take these bastards down, but first, I have to let myself be sold…

My
Published December 5th 2016 by Carina Press (first published December 2016)

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
2.5 Hearts

I'm having trouble articulating how I feel about this book. There is good stuff here, if fucked up characters and situations are your thing. They are my thing. But I felt like this throughout the read.

I kept trying to get a foothold in the story but there is so much going and yet when I think back on it nothing really happened. I struggled and didn't connect with either character. The potential is there but I found the plot a bit slapdash. People keep dying, none of the other characte
Lena♥Ribka

3,5 stars. Rounded up.

Normally I rate my books solely according to my reading enjoyment. But sometimes it is difficult to rate a book, because I don't know where to place it. Devil's Slave is one of those books. I read it in one sitting and I enjoyed some parts A LOT, but there are also some parts that were STRANGE and difficult to judge.

The blurb sounded intriguing and even if dom/sub/sexual slave topic is not my usual genre, I became curious because of a mystery aspect in it that made this no
Ije the Devourer of Books
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a strangely compelling story.

I am not sure that the blurb truly does it justice. The blurb and the cover present this book as your 'usual BDSM m/m romance' but it is really much deeper than that.

What we actually have here is the first book in a series that focuses on people who are caught up in the world of sex clubs and human trafficking.

Hugh Kincaid who is a retired police detective, infiltrates a sex club in order to find his niece. He then gets caught up in a world of sex and death
Miriam Joy
So. Ahem. I feel like this one may need a little bit of explanation, especially as I mostly read YA and I know that many of my blog followers and Goodreads friends also tend to read YA and are themselves mostly quite young. This is not my usual type of book and is considerably more explicit than the genres I tend to frequent, so my review of it will be irrelevant to most of my followers/readers, who aren't looking for somewhat kinky m/m fiction. I am aware of this.

However, it was a NetGalley re
Tais
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cliffhanger
Даже не знаю какие теги ставить. Я ожидала темную эротику с рабством и БДСМом, а на самом деле...
1. Эротика. Я бы не назвала это произведение эротикой. Для нее здесь маловато секса, а автор слишком часто в нужный момент отводит взгляд, переключаясь на следующую сцену.
2. БДСМ. Чуть-чуть эксгибиционизма, нелепая порка, унизительный дог-плей, легенький бондаж и якобы суровый дом. Не складывается это все у меня в голове в БДСМую картинку.
3. Dark. Если это он, то какой-то странный. "Дарковая" тематик
Angela
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Close enough to four stars.

I read this because I noticed it pop up that another person was going to read it. I've never heard of this book before or the author so I didn't know what to expect.

Most importantly, I really like Hugh. I don't fully understand him yet but I do like him. He's sort of a mess and doesn't have a lot of fucks to give because he's a drunk and likes pills. So he just says anything. I loved it. Part of his history is explained and other parts that make him this way were not
Tristan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I normally find it hard to warm up to slave books. There is something about their execution that just doesn't do it for me. Until this book. 'Devil's Slave' reminds me that there are still hope for this genre. That it can done right, and when it does it's the goriest masterpiece mankind could ever craft!

... erhm... I meant glorious.

Anyhow, for a deranged sadist such as myself, this book has been a wonderful all-you-can-eat that has me walking away eager for more.

This book is brutal, amora
Jordan
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was a fantastic romance novel. Actually, I’m a little hard pressed to call this a romance novel. Stockholm Syndrome? Maybe. Romance and Love? Absolutely not. Not in the conventional sense, anyway. Dom was jerky and his mood could change on a dime. He was incredibly easy to set off and the consequences for making him upset or angry were severe. He ruled with an iron fist and didn’t take no for an answer.

But he got off on being told no! He was so confusing. He wanted Hugh to be a good bo
Steph ☀️
***3.88 stars rounded-up***

This is me while reading this book...

Beginning

Middle

End

Not going to lie. In the beginning the book started out a bit rough for me. A struggle. Overall, I think it was due to the author’s writing style. However, I kept reading and by the end I was acquainted with it. The only thing that kept bothering me was the phrase, 'a beat'. Couldn't the author used a better transition or term like, “after a moment” or something similar? Nonetheless, in the end I found myself
Tifferz
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars, 4 Flames
If Dark Romances that do not really include any romance but hard cores of BDSM are triggers for you or cannot read, this is definitely not the book for you. This novel has it all in the ways of the darker kinks like sex slaves, harsh punishments, and blood sports, etc.

What drew me to this book was really the cover and the blurb. I knew this was going to get dark based on the title and the cover, just didn't realize how far it was going to go. Reading the first few chapters I
Avid Reader
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Devil's Slave (American Monsters #1) by Lola Hale
3 stars
Triggers: Abuse, unwilling slave, BDSM, Murder, attempted murder, sex slavery
M/M
Cliff hanger ending
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

I don't even really know where to start. This book is not for everyone - if you're squeamish, have morals, can't stand to see other people's suffering for the amusement of others...

The only reason that I finished this story was because I hate not finishing... but this was a confusing
Kristie
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Good start to the series. Dialogue and flow was a little stilted and felt forced, sometimes confusing. Chemistry between MCs was off from time to time, largely due to the lack of understanding of Hugh. His character is vital to understand and it took me a long time to get there. To figure him out. Once I did, things got much better. Will definitely continue on with the series... I've got to know what happens next. The mysteries of the story are the best part. Who actually fired the shot? Where i ...more
Ed Davis
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark, but a fascinating read. I had a hard time putting it down to do other things. I had a little bit of trouble at the beginning it just wasn’t clicking with me, but once Domingo arrived the book came alive. There are a lot of loose ends that need to be wrapped up. I’m sure that will happen in the next two books. I’ll be watching for them.
Melissa
I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher via NetGalley.

Hmm, I don't what it says about me that I liked this book. I have no idea where it's going (Domingo is a sociopath after all), and Hugh is not a willing slave. It ends on a cliffhanger (but for the moment the crisis has passed) and I am looking forward to reading the next book (whenever it comes out). FYI, the sex is very HOT! :D

Again, I don't know how Hugh and Domingo will find a real relationship in this mess; the book ends with
Avon Gale
I just sent this author an email full of capslock, squee and rambling praise so that should tell you how much I loved it. Look, this isn't going to be for everyone but it's up there with The Administration for dark romance with morally ambiguous characters, twisty consent dynamics and just...this is so unique, so different, and I loved it.

Like I said. I FANGIRL EMAILED THE AUTHOR.
Bridie-No excuses. No apologies. No Regrets Jones
Five important points about this book.

One-I loved the quirky writing style and Hugh's voice felt unique. Real. Like how a real life person would think. That's a very rare thing to find, especially in books with Master/Slave dynamics.

Two-This book is not for everyone, and I don't just mean the M/M or BDSM stuff. If you like reading something a bit off kilter then I think you'll appreciate this book a whole lot more.

Three-Hugh. Is. Fucked. Like for serious. He isn't your typical damaged ex-cop. H
Robyn
Nov 06, 2016 added it
DNF @ 40%
I generally enjoy dark, taboo, dub-con stories. But this one didn't work for me.
I felt kind of lost from the beginning, as the book starts when Hugh is already at rock bottom and there is a lot of 'cop talk' between him and Peggy. There's mention of David, who is dead, and most likely a former boyfriend or partner. There's someone named Shiloh who called David and Hugh 'daddy and papa', but I don't know if she is actually their child, or someone else's?
Fast forward to Hugh investigating
T.A. McKay
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Copy from netgalley.

This book was very hard to rate for me....and I have no idea why! Have you ever read a book and it left you thinking "Well then, I just read ...that"? I was like that with this book. Let me tell you my dilemma.
I finished it in one sitting so I must have enjoyed it....
but at times I felt a bit confused....
but it was actually really hot as hell....
but something just didn't feel right at a few points....
but it was an interesting story and really bloody dark....
but I just felt.
Blackmermaid
Wow! I'm not really sure where to start, but I absolutely loved this book! Domingo is a horrible person. I'm not going to list all of the reasons for this, but trust me, he's done many, many terrible things. For some reason, I still like him! I think there's a good guy in there somewhere. I loved Hugh! I love his wit and his stubborn ways. There's a little mystery and suspense as well, which adds another layer to this complex story. There isn't any romance in this book, which is realistic consid ...more
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The skinny: If you like dark with with a dash of humor and heart, do not pass go, read this RIGHT NOW.

The summary: Hugh Kincaid just can't keep his mouth shut. We open to him getting his ass kicked on the street while attempting to save a young woman from kidnapping, and running his mouth all the way. Hugh seems to be some kind of washed-up former PI. The details of his downfall are vague, but have something to do with a dead former lover and the lover's daughter, Shiloh, who, Hugh soon discover
Tina
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Devil's Slave is the first book in the American Monsters series by author Lola Hale. I took this book because it is edgy and uncomfortable in places. I was actually looking for that in the book. It does deliver. This is a gritty story not always clear on consent.
What I had problems with is the delivery of the storyline. It was so strange I had a hard time following it. There is a good plot here delivered at a good speed, it is just like looking into murky water trying to find a shiny rock. Can'
Crystal Marie
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m not usually a fan of dubious consent books, but there was something about this blurb that drew me in.

I started the book knowing that it may not be something that I would personally like, and while it did have some aspects that I didn’t enjoy, overall it was still a good read for me.

I really loved how Hugh wasn’t some picture perfect guy. He has his issues, and he accepts them. And even more than that Domingo accepted them.

The relationship between the two of them was very confusing. It’s almo
Katherine
Dark and twisted. I liked that I could never tell who was a good guy or bad guy. My perspective and opinion kept changing. I was super-excited to read the second and third book in the series. Only to realize that there is no mention of these books on Goodreads or Carina press. And the author does not appear to have a website. 😔

Bought from carina
Serpounce
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
smoking hot! Ridiculously hot! If you are into dark dub-con-hate-to-suspicious-love stuff, and this would be your wet dream. The whole story is a little over-the-top but not horrendous nor unreasonable. Well, not THAT unreasonable.
Em
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
3.5-4ish stars

So this was pretty dark and I haaated Domingo, but it kept me enthralled throughout. Can't wait to see what's in store for Hugh next.
J
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
M/M. 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars. This book presumably about sex trafficking and slavery is dark (but could have been written a lot darker). To be honest, it is confusing and many times I was left wondering about what I just read. However, the main thrust of the book are the MC's, Dom and Hugh. Dom is a big-wiig member of the "club" of slavers, and Hugh is a former cop, former P.I., alcoholic, drug addict who may or may not have infiltrated the sex ring to be an informant. I really care for Hugh a ...more
Lauren
Intense and suspenseful read.
Nerdy Natalie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, dnf
Lola Hale is a new to me author. I saw this book recommended on another blog and it sounded like it would be right up my alley. An ex-cop forced to be a sex slave? Yes, please!

The problem?

This was a DNF for me. I got about 35% in and was bored to pieces.

The initial set up seemed to be decent. Hugh is an ex-cop working as a private investigator. He drunkenly stumbles upon a botched kidnapping and something about the entire scenario bugs Hugh (aside from a young girl being held against her will).
Barbara Ingram
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
✨✨✨✨✨4 The Devil Did It Stars✨✨✨✨✨

Devil's Slave is Book 1 of a Trilogy and the debut for new author Lola Hale! Wow! The synopsis was very intriguing and included everything I want in a MM BDSM thriller! Lola Hale delivered a hot, steamy, master/slave story about Hugh Kincaid, ex cop, ex private investigator, now a drunk, pill popping member of society. While secretly investigating a number of recent kidnappings, he is told by a friend on the force that a young woman related to his past lover, Da
L. Layale
Hugh and Domingo. Hugh is a washed up drunkard of a lawman having fallen from grace. Domingo is this mysterious, somewhat unknown underground kind in the extreme world of kink and BSDM, and Hugh has fallen into his clutches. When word gets out that someone Hugh knows is missing and potentially been taken for sex trafficking, Hugh goes to extreme measures to try and find the last tie to the last person he loved.

I liked this. My only thing is that the way it was written makes the story go really
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »