Start by marking “Born Bad (Manchester #1)” as Want to Read:
Born Bad (Manchester #1)

Born Bad

(Manchester #1)

The battle is on…

When gang leader Paddy O’Brien is stabbed in his brother’s famous nightclub, Manchester’s criminal underworld is shaken to the core. Tensions are running high, and as the body count begins to grow, the O’Brien family must face a tough decision – sell their side of the city to the infamous Boddlington gang or stick it out and risk losing their king.

But war

Published March 9th 2017 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Born Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born Bad

Start your review of Born Bad (Manchester #1)
Maureen
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The bad guys come out to play in this gripping Manchester based tale of gangland war at its very worst, and it's not pretty. When gangs, money, and power become the motivators in life, then violence and crime become your bed mates.

When gang leader Paddy O'Brien is stabbed in his brother's nightclub, it heralds the beginning of a fierce battle for control of the city's drugs and sex trade, with the Boddlington gang going up against the O'Brien's, with terrible consequences for all concerned.

Two g
Louise Wilson
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
When gang leader Paddy O'Brien is found bleeding at his poolside, a fierce battle for the South side of Manchester begins.

This is a gritty, fast paced book, set in Manchester's underworld. it deals with the North-South devide in Manchester. This is the first book in a new series from the author. The book has a great character list and just enough going on to keep you turning the pages. it also has a great ending.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Avon Books and the author Marnie Riches for my ARC
Christine
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Marnie Riches gained my attention with her rather excellent George McKenzie series. Now she is back with gritty tough Manchester noir. This is the sort of read that will put hairs on your chest. If you thought Manchester was all constant rain, 1990s Madchester music and Coronation Street, you were very wrong. Manchester is so much darker than that.

Born Bad introduces a new side to the northern city. We discover the criminal element, the organised crime and two gangs competing for dominance. On o
Annie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
www.themisstery.com >> I had never read any Marnie Riches’ novel before, but I had always wanted to. Her Georgina McKenzie novels are quite popular and everyone agrees she’s an author to watch out for! Born Bad was a gritty crime thriller set in Manchester with a powerful set of characters and a promising ending.

The book is told by multiple voices. Not two or even three, but actually more. I was confused at first, as every chapter seemed to introduce a brand new character and their story. Ho
Janet
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this for free in return for an honest review.

Marnie Riches I loved this.
Dark and dirty, Manchester's criminals come out to play in this book of gangland rivalry.
This is such an easy read even with the myriad of characters within, there's just enough information on each one to keep it simple yet compelling. The North South divide in Manchester, each with it's gang Lords ruling with ruthless brutality comes to a bloody peak. The murder of Jack O'Brien,
Jen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017challenge
When an author has an incredibly popular series running, I should imagine that one of their biggest worries is over whether or not to take a gamble on a new one. Readers can be funny beggars (I should know, I am one) and when they pledge allegiance to a character, they want to read more and more about them. Now for me, George McKenzie was one such character. The series is fab and the characters of George and Van den Bergen are very likeable. It has developed a good following and very deservedly ...more
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Having read the authors George McKenzie series I was very much looking forward to reading Born Bad which is the authors first stand alone novel. Still sticking with the crime genre, this is very much a tale of the battles of rival gang lords and power.

The story has quite a lot of characters in it and does jump around between quite a few so it’s one that you need to really concentrate on to keep up with all that’s going on as otherwise you could become a bit lost.

The main characters that stuck ou
Michelle  Driscoll
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced book which was a little confusing at first, lots of characters to get your head round but it does get easier.

Great storyline which is set in Manchester, and follows the dark world of gang warfare. It's action-packed from the very start of the book. Not a light-read by any stretch of the imagination.

4 stars from me for this one.

~ Cariad ~
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 00-audiobooks
Not bad, but not my fav audiobook or narrator - which makes all the difference as her accents were pretty dreadful to be honest.
Michelle
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book that I have read, written by Marnie Riches and it certainly won't be my last.

Set in Gangland Manchester, this is a dark gritty drama about when King crime lord of the North side of Manchester Paddy 0'brien is found bleeding at poolside of his mansion. A war starts between him and the Crime lords of the South side Johnny and Tariq and their assassin The Fish Man.

I loved this powerful action packed, violent, drama. With all the different characters and their own stories that
Selina Trafford
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story of gangland Manchester. Wonderfully encompassing its grey skies, depressing apartment blocks and the seedy side of the nightclubs. Anyone from or who has visited Manchester will be able to envision this in all its glory. Im a big fan of the girl who series and this did not let me down. Its proper class innit Marnie.
Noelle
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh I do love a bit of gritty, gangland crime and what an introduction to Marnie Riches for me! I know…I know…I am totally late to the party but I am thrilled to still have her other books to read! #DontJudgeMe .Totally loving the cover of this book too….if I cut my hair, jumped into a fountain of youth, had laser eye surgery and dropped a few stone…it could be me! Seriously though, great cover! Guess I better get on with my review!

As the synopsis states, the book is set in Manchester and immedia
Marina
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I started reading the book, my first thought was, OMG, this isn't a part of #TheGirlWho Series? I was quiet surprised. It was hard for me to get into the story and the characters at the beginning, but as the story continued, I was hooked.  The plot is centered around Manchester gang leader Paddy O'Brien and his family and his partners and enemies. The boss has been stabbed and ends up in hospital and the criminal kingdom is shaken. He wants to rule, his wife wants to rule, the enemies want ...more
Lainy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 328

Publisher - Avon

Source - Book shop

Blurb from Goodreads

A powerful, darkly comic novel set in the criminal underworld of Manchester from bestselling author Marnie Riches.

The battle is on…

Fiona Wilson
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, netgalley
I love stories like this because it brings together so many 'bad guys' who end up fighting amongst themselves to be the best. It also showcases strong female characters who will stop at nothing to succeed and get exactly what they want. The style of writing, and content, reminds me very much of Martina Cole books.

The story jumps about a lot, and it took me a little while to get into the flow of things. Once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey the author took me on. There is almost constant a
Ted Tayler
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
"Depressing"

Everything you ever wanted to know about the dark underbelly of Manchester. This is described as a gritty gangster thriller, and that's what you get page after page. The device of telling the story in chapters from the viewpoint of the different characters was cliched and tedious. This could have been wrapped up in 200 pages, and might have been better for it. The cast of characters was chock full of stereotypical hoodlums, and their battered, or trophy wives. The story was dark and
Annette
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in gangland Manchester this book is about the rivalry between two gangs. It is a gripping and compelling read with a fast pace. Everyone seems to be out for what they can get, money and power being a great motivator to inflict violence and pain. If you enjoy gritty crime thrillers then I can highly recommend this as a great read.
Shell Baker
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Born Bad is actually the first book that I have read by Marnie Riches and certainly won't be my last and I am sitting here thinking OMG where have I been...I enjoyed it that much.

The author takes us to the criminal underworld of Manchester...hell yeah.Those of you that follow me know I do love a gangland novel. And what I especially like about this one is that it is told from different characters POV. Where I found myself racing through the pages to find out what was going to happen next.

It is f
Sue Wallace
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Born Bad by Marnie Riches.
Paddy O'brien a gang leader is stabbed in his brothers famous nightclub, Manchester's criminal underworld is shaken to the core. A war is on now the O'brien family must make a decision on what to do with their side of the city. Sell or risk losing their king. Who will survive?
OMG absolutely fantastic read. I loved the story. This is a gripping fast past book. With shocks and twists too. Definitely worth more than 5*. Thanks to avon books and netgalley.
Nicholas Masters
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, mystery, crime
Just the dedication alone had me intrigued and filled with enough anticipation to start the book off with great enthusiasm.

Great writing, an intriguing plot, and more than enough action made for a great read. I must admit that there were a lot of times in the book that I wished that I had a character that I could fully get behind, that I could emotionally invest in. And I suppose I did root for different characters at different times, but I always had this feeling that no-one really deserved hav
Kath
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author although I do have a few of her series on my tbr. On the back of reading this book, these are definitely getting bumped up!
This was gritty to say the least. Starring a veritable menagerie of Manchester's finest underworld as they jostle for control of the city. I don't know what it is about Manchester but I have read a fair few crime novels set there and in every one, the city has almost been a character in its own right. here is no different as we also see t
Katherine Sunderland
Welcome to Manchester. Welcome to the back streets and criminal world of Manchester. Prepare yourself for a high speed ride through the underworld of Manchester. Prepare yourself from a gritty, no nonsense, no holding back novel that is littered with expletives, crooked businesses and violent gangs.

Yes. Riches is back. Her new novel is born and it is bad!

It starts by introducing us to Sheila with her Porsche, her Louboutins, her pristine house and the nails she's chipped carrying in the gun she'
Gordon Mcghie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the reviews where I will cut to the chase…reading Born Bad was a joyous experience, I bloody loved it.

Manchester’s criminal underworld are a volatile crowd and Marnie Riches is going to light the blue touch-paper under these powerful gangs and pit them against each other in a battle for supremacy. It is going to be bloody, the players will be treacherous and, in a world where reputation is everything, nobody can afford to show any weakness.

The story will track multiple characters and thei
Elaine Aldred
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Manchester’s criminal underworld is rocked when gang leader Paddy O’Brien is stabbed in his brother’s nightclub. There is soon a sense that the carefully managed gang boundaries are about to be breached in a turf war, unless someone manages to negotiate a mutually acceptable agreement. But, given the old adage “honour among thieves” does not apply, this is not going to be straightforward.
Born Bad begins with a fantastic description of the female lead character Sheila O’Brien, long suffering wife
Thebooktrail
Visit the locations in the novel with trail pictures Born Bad

Born bad pic by Marnie Riches

This is the equivalent of being grabbed by the throat in the pouring rain and trying to struggle out of a headlock whilst your feet flay about and your arms wave for help that will never come….If you want a dark view of Manchester, but a gritty, tripping one all the same this is the book for you. Of course it’s not exactly something the Tourist Board are going to get excited about but the overall feel of this book is gritty realism of
Kerry Bridges
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
What do you do when you don't want to run a gang any more? Sell up and escape to Thailand? Only if you can get the money your patch is really worth and only if you can get away alive!

This is a quite graphic description of gang warfare in the North West of England but funnily enough it's a really engaging read. Although the behaviour of the people as a whole is really awful, there are some really touching moments and some really interesting characters; Leviticus Bell being my absolute favourite.

I
Martha Brindley
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new series and is set in Manchester. Plenty unlikeable characters to be found in the two crime gangs. This is a book of many layers with plenty twists and turns and a touch of humour to keep you interested. Gangs, violence, grit and gore make this a very good read from Marnie Riches. A great ending just rounds it all up nicely! I would recommend this book. many thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Jo
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read. I've read a number of crime family books, but this is by far the best of the bunch. It has interesting, well written characters and gritty bloody violence, interspersed with philosophical musings and words that will have you reaching for the dictionary. I love this author's heroine in her other books, but I also love her villains! I hope there will be further books written about the same characters. They are great!
Caron
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in gangland Manchester, Paddy O'brien, a gang leader is stabbed in his brothers nightclub, This book follows the rivalry of the gangs and the ensuing war. The criminal underworld is shaken and the O'Brien family must decide what to do with their control area of the city.

It is a gripping and fast paced read. The characters are driven by money power and control. A great crime thriller.
J.M. Hewitt
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I've been a huge fan of Marnie Riches The Girl Who... series, so it was with a mixture of trepidation and excitement that I moved onto her new Mancunian Noir novel, Born Bad. No cause for concern, Marnie smashed it.
Loved the characters, even the vile ones and the author has captured the essence of the setting brilliantly.
More please - and soon!
« previous 1 3 next »
Bated Breath 1 6 Jan 13, 2017 11:20AM

• Blood Feud (Kerry Casey #1)
  • Ugly Truth
  • Wicked Lies (Cruel Secrets #2)
  • Cruel Secrets (Cruel Secrets #1)
  • No Mercy
  • End Game (Kerry Casey #3)
  • Dangerous Girl (Anna Davis #2)
  • Fight Back (Kerry Casey #2)
  • Life of Crime
  • Raw Justice (Ruthless #3)
  • The Hit (Rosie Gilmour #9)
  • Toxic
  • The Edge (Ruby Darke #3)
  • Runaway Girl (Anna Davis #1)
  • The Mark (The Working Girls #1)
  • The Mother
  • Ruthless (Ruthless #1)
  • Ruby's Palace (Ruthless #2)
Marnie Riches grew up on a rough estate in Manchester. She learned her way out of the ghetto, all the way to Cambridge University, where she gained a Masters degree in German & Dutch. She has been a punk, a trainee rock star, a pretend artist, a property developer and professional fundraiser. Previously a children's author, now, she writes gritty, fast-paced crime fiction.

Marnie Riches is the auth

Manchester (2 books)
  • The Cover Up (Manchester #2)