Start by marking “Trials of Magic (The Hundred Halls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trials of Magic (The Hundred Halls, #1)

Trials of Magic

(The Hundred Halls #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  218 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
There are exactly one hundred halls of magic to choose from. Ever since our parents were killed I knew exactly which hall was for me.

Aurelia "Aurie" Silverthorne is one of the best and brightest to ever apply to the Hundred Halls, the only magical university in the world. To be accepted, she must pass grueling trials that claim the lives of aspirants every year.

But more
Published September 27th 2016 by Black Moon Books

Dash fan
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5☆  Fun, Dangerous, full of Adventure

Aurie and Pi are the main characters.
They are both Sisters and both attending different Magic Halls, determined through a series of Trials.
If they pass the Trials they get to chose out of the 100 hundred halls which one is for them!
Good or bad Halls i wonder who will chose what!

After losing both their parents to magic they are determined to succeed.

The story is told through both Aurie and Pi which only enhanced the story as each sister is very different an
Amanda
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

This book is one of those that sticks with you. I read this sometime last week and I am still thinking about it. I found the world and characters to be really well developed and they keep popping into my mind. The sisters in this book are both incredibly different from one another. Their contrasting personalities make for interesting family dynamics. I can appreciate them both, with their respective personalities. I find that I was more like Aurie when I w
Runningrabbit
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gilded

I enjoyed this novel although I did find parts bogged down in extensive detail. I found Aurie an annoying character, but I did adore Pi (great name).

This is a well written novel and I'm definitely moving on to book two.
Lana
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A real fun read, the school with all its halls of magic put me in mind of the Harry Potter school of magic where the children of the rich and powerful also tried to lord it over the poor Weasley's and Co. whilst the familial bond between the young sisters, Pi and Aurie, and their strength in magic reminded me of the Charmed sisters, Pi so fiesty and Aurie so caring and responsible. Whilst the Egyptian escapade put me in mind of Indiana Jones, scarab beetles and all! An exciting read right throug ...more
Candace Wondrak
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Let me preface this by saying that I requested this book off Netgalley purely based on the cover. I tend to do that. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Here, I can say I was pleasantly surprised. Anytime I request on Netgalley, I skim the summary. By the time I actually sit down and read the book, it's fair to assume that I've forgotten what the summary said. Again, could be a blessing, or it could doom the book. For Trials of Magic, I'm glad to say that was dooming involved.

This is a
Daccari Buchelli
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'Trials of Magic' by Thomas Carpenter is the first book of a revolutionary magical series.
Aurelia and Pythia Silverthorne were orphaned in tragic circumstances. After many years of caring for one another, the two sisters find themselves preparing for their Merlin examinations, where they hope to gain entry to one of the hundred halls of magic.

Set in the heart of the magic capital city, Invictus, we see through both Aurie and Pi's third person perspectives, as they each attempt to excel in their
Mandy Walkden-Brown
An excellent beginning to this new series.
A refreshingly different take on two sisters, Aurie and Pi, attempting to pass a series of trials that will allow them to enter the magic Hall of their choice.
An intriguing magic system, some wonderfully strong characters, most of whom are very likeable and great world building.
None of the chapter after chapter of tedious training sessions that appear in so many books of this genre, just enough to be interesting and lay out some of the rules that gove
Nolene Driscoll
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read this ARC and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

This is the first book I have ready by this author and I have to wonder why? This is the first in a new series and WOW what a great start. Lots of fast paced action, wonderful characters and great writing style. I read this in one sitting and was saddened that I finished it so quickly as I wanted to read more.

Two sisters who are completely different but who compliment each other beautifully, are orphaned
Emma
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
review to come
Desislava Sivilova
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the positive side, this novel was a definite page-turner, kept my attention till the very end. Also, I'm a big fan of magic contests and magic schools, so I really enjoyed these elements of the plot; that's why I was a bit disappointed though - the actual study of magic is not presented in enough detail, not after all the trouble the two main characters go to in order to enroll in the school.

What is more, the way magic and different spells function in this world is never fully explained, so t
Rosemary Kenny
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Harry Potter and coming-of-age supernatural fantasy
Trials of Magic - a review by Rosemary Kenny

The eponymous Trials are a teenage witch's Harry Potter-like entrance exams. The equivalent of a magical Oxbridge University one, (the students are in their late teens or older) it has a twist - the so-called 'Merlins' are so tough and dangerous that not all entrants survive to take up their places.

Thomas K Carpenter's supernatural fantasy tells of the two orphaned Silverthorn sisters - the quietly intelligent Aurelia ('Aurie'), who's nearly 20 and Py
Cassie James
I have read quite a lot of fantasy books and I was pleasantly surprised that Trials of Magic was able to stand out. Aurie and Pythia are characters that I immediately fell in love with, every moment with them was a treasure.
The worldbuilding in this book is phenomenal, I was very impressed by the vastness of it. It has a lot of magic in it which is one thing I love in fantasy books, scenes where magic is used are wonderfully written and remarkably detailed.
This book has all sorts of monsters,
Kriselda Gray
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book at no cost from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Stop me if you've heard this before: An orphan who's parents died in a magical calamity goes to a magic school, quickly makes enemies with an arrogant blonde and discovers a number of secrets have between withheld for many years. Actually, don't stop me, keep reading - because as familiar as that may sound, it's where any similarity between this story of new students attending a magic school and the rat
Ozsaur
Aurie and Pi are sisters who are studying to get into one of the Hundred Halls of Magic. Aurie, the older sister, is dedicated and studious while Pi is clever and outgoing. Being orphaned young, and living in poverty, passing the trials could be life-changing for both of them.

There are many obstacles in their way, not simply the trials. They make enemies, discover secret plots, make mistakes, but use grit, skill, smarts, and the love they have for each other to overcome every hindrance.

I loved
Bonnie Dale Keck
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kindle Unlimited, I found it too slow in places, to repetitive in others, and contradictory in other sections even a paragraph or page apart. Had to force myself to finish reading through, it was that...whatever. Liked the premise but the execution for me was missing...things. Still, promised friend would read all the books so 1-3, 4, and then what usually do is review the sets and individually. Was 3 1/2 which means have to decide to go lower or higher so went with erring on side of higher rati ...more
Jos
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This book tells the story of two sisters who take part in the Merlins, the trials needed to overcome for a chance to get into one of the halls of magic. We then follow their subsequent adventures in education and work, in making friends and enemies and in finding out truth from falsehood and more. Their feelings, emotions, fears and longings are portrayed beautifu
S H E L L E Y
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Hogwarts Meets Hunger Games"
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED REVIEW

Trials of Magic is a story about two sisters who chose different paths to achieve the same objective, one chooses "good" and the other "bad".

Both hoping to protect the other after the troubling death of their parents. It seems that everyone wants something from the sisters and that Pi's decision could be deadly

Thomas K. Carpenter has crafted an enjoyable read. It's a real page turn and leaves you wanting more.

I’ve scored it..
Sc
Barbara Senteney
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I give this 3 1/2 stars . I only received a 44 page sample and it started out strange. Aurie aged 17 working in a hospice for kids victim to magic spells that backfired. Her patient weightless, tethered to a bed, she gets fired for trying to do the right thing. Her and her sister orphaned due to bad magic from a small child, Aurie herself. The story gets better as it goes along. I have heard it compared to Harry Potter and I see the similarities, both girls are trying out to go to The Hundred Ha ...more
Robert
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
There were so many likeable things about this book - great story, great characters, but...
When I read fantasy, I want to be transported to another world that might be more beautiful or more scary than ours or perhaps just downright weird. With this book, however, despite all the magic, I felt I never left eastern United States. To make it worse, near the end, we got some Disney-level sentimentality.
I realize that this novel was probably intended for young adults, but it will be another two years
Shinara Newton
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book due to an AXP giveaway from the author and cannot wait to continue the series.

Trials of Magic was not quite what I expected but in such a good way. Pi and Aurie are close because of their tragic past but still have the growing pains all siblings have. I felt really proud of how they worked together despite having such different goals.

It did take me a bit to get into because the beginning was a little scattered compared to the linear aspects of the en
Aly
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I think this is a great book and I think this could be a great series so well. It reminded me a little of Harry Potter in a way. The book hooked me right a way with Hundred Halls of Magic, new world of magic and even technology was in it. The girls are great characters and sisters, which since I have a sister, speaks to me for sure. The book has it all and I look forward to more in this series for me. I can't wait to see what happens next. * I received this book from Netgalley---this is my hones ...more
Raewynn
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I loved this book. I have not read any books from Thomas K Carpenter before but...can't wait for more, The best part is that this book is part of a 5 book series AND they are all here for you to grab so, if you hate cliffhangers..no problem!

I have read many magic books and I just couldn't put this one down.

This is sort of a mix of Harry Potter, with the school type of tale but with all sorts of other elements mixed in.

I am not one to give away stories, plots or happenings but you will just
Scott
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all magic lovers
Such a well written fun start to a series. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. This is a great example of how to blend magic into a functional modern world. Lots of twist and turns to keep you hooked.
I thought it was a neet idea to take sisters and send them simultaneously through a magical university . Highlighting each strength, weakness, and fears . I could not wait till i found a copy of the next book
Teresa S
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Orphaned twins, full of magic, face the trials involved to become students in their chosen Halls to train their magic. Others in their chosen Halls don't want them there. Can they succeed?
Very well written with an excellent plot and characters. The story pulls you in until the end, with plenty of action and twists, I couldn't put it down!
I received a complimentary copy of this book and freely give my honest review.
Barbara
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two orphaned sisters can either manage to enter and complete the Hundred Halls college of magic or perish. The jury is still out on whether they will succeed (I've no idea how many books are planned for the series), but it is definitely an interesting tale.
I received a free copy, but this is a voluntary review and entirely my own opinion.
Nancie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great storytelling!

The story of two sisters living and learning magic is absorbing and exciting. How their parents died in a magical accident, to their struggle to survive and get into the magic school, to the mystery of how to get the enchanted Rod of Divination, is all beautifully laid out for you. What a marvelous tale!!!
MercySkye28
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
It was okay....

For some reason it felt like the story just road the edge of being "I just can't put it down!" Instead, the plot lost stem and everything was just creeping along until I just started skipping over bits!
Stephan Morse
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Normally style issues are negligible or not worth mentioning, today – I’m starting there. I love the cover. I often couldn’t tell when new chapters started (a formatting issue), and it follows third person with multiple people being followed. All these things gave me a mixed impression of the work that was hard to look past.

However, I like books with magic. Our two characters are sisters, both with distinct stories – which is a plus. There are side characters that border between sinister and ‘ju
Carole
Engaging story - once I started reading, I could not put it down. Would read more in series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Kindle Unlimited ...: Trials of Magic By Thomas K Carpenter 1 7 Jan 08, 2017 07:28AM

The Hundred Halls (4 books)
  • Web of Lies (The Hundred Halls, #2)
  • Alchemy of Souls (The Hundred Halls, #3)
  • Gathering of Shadows (The Hundred Halls, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage