Start by marking “Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom” as Want to Read:
Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom

Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Thomas E. Ricks, a dual biography of Winston Churchill and George Orwell, whose farsighted vision and inspired action preserved democracy from the threats of authoritarianism, from the left and right alike.

Both George Orwell and Winston Churchill came close to death in the mid-1930s—Orwell shot in the neck in a trench line in the S
Published May 23rd 2017 by Penguin Press

Start your review of Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom
Diane
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best history books I read in 2017. It's a dual biography of Winston Churchill and George Orwell, and when I first heard about this book I thought it was an odd pairing.

But it totally works! Ricks highlights how the careers of these two different men greatly impacted events and attitudes in their lifetime and beyond. (The fact that 1984 became a bestseller after Donald Trump was elected U.S. president shows Orwell's continued influence.)

What pushed this book to the top of my
Theo
Jun 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm surprised at the rather uncritical reception of this comparative biography. While the two main characters hold a lot in common (being English, lifespan overlapping historical events, etc.), a sober question to ask would be, do those two historical personages really belong together? What can be gained by hopping from one's trajectory to the others'? The answer is, sadly, very little. The book is a rather "American" celebration of Ricks' brash impressions which weave in and out of historical c ...more
Jean
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read so many books by or about Churchill that a new book must have a new approach or hook or else I will not be bothered to read it. This one did.

Richs tells of the differences and similarities of the two men as well as several similar events in their lives, such as both men were in disgrace in the 1930s and both came close to death. The author points out that both men thought honesty and language mattered at every level.

The book is well written and meticulously researched. Ricks made som
Mikey B.
Page 5 (my book)
When so many of their peers gave up on democracy as a failure, neither man ever lost sight of the value of the individual in the world, and all that that means: the right to dissent from the majority, the right even to be persistently wrong, the right to distrust the power of the majority, and the need to assert that high officials might be in error – most especially when those in power believe they are not.

Page 5 George Orwell
“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right
leynes
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not very well-versed in the genre of biographies but even I could tell that Churchill & Orwell: The Fight for Freedom was an unconventional one. Thomas E. Ricks didn't set out to narrate the whole life story of these two men, instead he looked at certain aspects of their lives to analyze how similar their approaches to the preservation of freedom were.

Furthermore, he didn't shy away from adding his own two cents which, at times, left me hollering like crazy because Ricks was petty af, e.g. h
AC
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Fairly good; not terribly demanding. Perfect for audible/driving. Some interesting insights on Churchill, but quite overrates Orwell, imo.

Scott Rhee
“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” ---George Orwell

Who knew that democracy’s undoing in the U.S. would be brought about by football? On the same weekend that thousands of evangelical Christians awaited the Rapture, North Korea’s PSY-look-alike Supreme Leader Kim Jung-Un threatened to possibly retaliate with nuclear weapons due to Trump’s angry tweets, and Puerto Rico suffered the aftermath of a category-5 hurricane, Trump’s main g
Michael Perkins
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the main attributes that these two figures shared was the willingness and courage to speak "unpalatable truths." For Churchill, it was about the aggressive buildup of armaments in Nazi Germany during the 30's. For Orwell, it was to expose the brutal nature of Soviet Communism that he witnessed in Spain during the Civil War.

-------

"Orwell was one of those upon whom nothing was lost. (This included, as Orwell himself said: “the power of facing unpleasant facts”). By declining to lie, even a
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
Fairly good dual biography of Orwell and Churchill near contemporaries who defined the problem of the twentieth century of individual freedom vs. the totalitarian state. Problems delineated by Orwell especially are still very relevant in an age of the NSA and data mining and rising authoritarianism. These men saw the threat early and saw it well.
Jason
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, ww1-ww2
I'm not a big fan of biographies but this book sounded interesting, two biographies linking together two very different people, the larger than life Winston Churchill and the quieter, sickly George Orwell. The main attraction here for me was Orwell, I'm a big fan of his books, especially "Down and out..." and I know very little about the chap.

I can't really see why these two people were picked as their paths never crossed and Churchill barely knew of Orwell, you'd think they could have been pair
James Murphy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is in some ways a book which is exasperatingly too modest in scale. Much more in depth lives of Churchill and Orwell have been written. Each of them suffers here for having to share the 270 pages of text. At the same time Ricks too often clutters the slender biographies in condescending unimportant additions and asides which the reader already understands. Essentially it focuses on how they individually experienced the 1930s, the subsequent war, and how those experiences affected their own ...more
Lauren
It's an ambitious task to write a biographical history at all, much less a dual biography of historical giants such as Winston Churchill and George Orwell.

Luckily, this book was excellent and included a thoughtful afterword, bringing both Churchill and Orwell's long shadow into our present day.
And what's best about it? This book is NOT a hagiography of either man. There's plenty of talk of each of their faults - their prejudices, their addictions, the way they neglected their families, their st
Anudari
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well-written book interweaving the biographies of 20th century’s two most influential men: Churchill, a conservative, and Orwell, a socialist. Though on the opposite sides of the political spectrum, they shared principles we would do well to be reminded of. Two that left a strong impression on me are importance of individuality and being able to correct course based on facts.

"Stature of man" - a phrase from Churchill’s speech before WWII that established him a voice in Parliament, during the
Tom
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Saints should be judged guilty until they are proved innocent, but the tests that have to be applied to them are not, of course, the same in all cases." George Orwell, Reflections on Gandhi

Ricks is not nearly so skeptical in judging the characters and legacies of Churchill and Orwell. I would say he flirts with beatification but stops well short of canonization. Even that much praise would've probably appalled Orwell; Churchill not so much. The test in this case, however, is the same for both m
Samuel Salzer
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Well written biography with an interesting twist as you learn about how two very different men were able to shape the world so drastically using their strongly held principles.

The book provides a telling reminder of how important it is to look at the facts, see the world for what it is and immediately take action should there be wrongdoing being made.

I admire Churchill and Orwell for standing up against what they thought was wrong when so many choose not to. Both men, but especially Orwell, has
Brent
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all readers
Recommended to Brent by: this fine author, NPR Fresh Air, and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
I actually could not stop reading, after hearing Ricks on NPR Fresh Air with Terri Gross. This was a fine brief (c. 275 pages) summary biography/comparison of these two. Ricks cuts through to the core: why both Churchill and Orwell matter, why Orwell grows in importance.
Recommended.
victor harris
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice job showing how they interacted in their own era and the ultimate lasting influence of two of the most compelling figures of the 20th century. Orwell's rise from relative obscurity was more dramatic as he was shunned by many on the Left because he denounced the excesses of Stalinism and would use Soviet totalitarianism as part of the model for one of his most famous works - 1984. Both the evolution of Churchill as a politician and his ultimate political triumphs and demise are a central and ...more
Mark
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first reaction to Churchill and Orwell was that I would like Winston Churchill more than George Orwell. This is probably because I knew more about him, and less about Orwell. I do admire Churchill's first administration during world war II and his ability to face fear and death without capitulation. I am encouraged by his attitude of never surrender, I believe it was one of the single most important encouragements for Britain not to cave to Nazi pressure.

However, I do believe that George Orw
Barbara Biasiotta
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely well-written book (as expected from Thomas Ricks) about Winston Churchill and George Orwell, "the most unlikely of allies". Each man, in his own way, fought to "preserve the liberty of the individual". They are aptly described as the architects of their time.

Churchill and Orwell is the best book I've read in a long time! The author explores how, although approached from different perspectives, both men fought against any government with absolute control over the individual.
Charles J
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The heroes of every age are often not seen as heroes during their lives, or if so viewed in their own age they are not so viewed in later ages. And doubtless perceptions of heroes change as one future passes into another. But for us, today, Churchill and Orwell are heroes to many, and whatever else may be true, this alone gives the two men something in common. Thomas Ricks uses this commonality as the springboard and organizing theme for his book, which is a competently written capsule biography ...more
Sandra
Interesting concept, dismal content and organization. Half of this book seems to consists of previously collected notes and anecdotes, slapped together without considering how, or whether, they make any sense next to each other, or whether they bear any relevance to the topic.

Why dedicate half a page to examples of random people commenting on similarities between Churchill and a pig? Why pepper around so many remarks about Mitford sister's social activities and sexual daliances (and who cares if
William
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good dual examination of both men, making a connection where one might not normally have seen it. Orwell, during his lifetime, was at best a peripheral figure dwelling largely in obscurity. Churchill was one of the most well-known and influential statesmen of his time, as well as a Nobel Prize winning writer. But Ricks gives you their worlds, their thought processes and the ideas they fostered during their lifetimes. Churchill's life threatens to overwhelm the narrative, which one would exp ...more
Jeremy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 3.5 leaning toward a 4. I haven't read much about Churchill and the compare/contrast with Orwell was an interesting way to get an overview. The parts of the book around World War II were very interesting.

The book did seem to have more detailed material on Churchill than Orwell, but that may be because he was such a popular public figure.

I was surprised that the author brought up multiple times how bad he thought Orwell's earlier novels were. I've actually found those to be readable, fun, and a
Mike
This was a dual-biography of Winston Churchill and George Orwell. I learned nothing new of Churchill in this book, but I learned quite a bit about Orwell as I had never read any biographical works on him. I found his life to be interesting but felt that there was not enough of him in this book. The two men had no connections other than being British at the same time during the World War II era, so the connection between them was loose at best. Worth the read as it was short, but not the engrossi ...more
Kayra Guven
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
(3.5)
I was reading "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell earlier on this week and my history teacher lended me his copy of this book, saying I might find it interesting. I have to say, he was absolutely right. I started the book this morning and could not put it down.
This book was pretty informative and fun. I learned quite a bit about both Churchill and Orwell. Also, I hadn't noticed Orwell's descriptions were heavily based on smells. All in all, I'm really glad to have read thi
Renay Russell
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this dual biography. While I’m certainly aware of both, having read Orwell and studied Churchill in school, I didn’t really know that much about them so it was an interesting read and to understand their experiences through the war and the impact that it had on them.
Mayra Morales
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“...liberty it’s not a product of military action. Rather, it is something alive that grows or diminishes every day, in how we think and communicate, how we treat each other, in our public discourse, in what we value and reward as society, and how we do that...”. T.E. Ricks.
Rachelle
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting study of two great men who changed the way we think about the world. Notably, they both were willing to be unpopular, and to change their opinion. They both contributed to the freedom of the West.
Deanne
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This was a really neat look at both men and their impact on both history and the modern world. The wrapping it up commentary at the end is superb.
Larry Hostetler
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, first-reads
An interesting concept, comparing Churchill and Orwell, the conservative prime minister and the socialist author. Showing how Churchill's conservatism and Orwell's socialism softened as they learned and grew is an interesting subject. How each subject's words affected history during their lifetime and beyond is instructive. The book was well-written, well-researched, and good reading.

Unfortunately, I felt that there wasn't a consistent theme. What started out as a comparison of their viewpoints

• Leadership: In Turbulent Times
  • Writer, Sailor, Soldier, Spy: Ernest Hemingway's Secret Adventures, 1935-1961
  • Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • Leadership in War: Essential Lessons from Those Who Made History
  • 和食古早味:你不知道的日本料理故事 (Traditional Chinese Edition)
  • The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels
  • Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill
  • Sweet Taste of Liberty: A True Story of Slavery and Restitution in America
  • Fascism: A Warning
  • Grant
  • Homage to Catalonia
  • Trumpocalypse: Restoring American Democracy
  • Musashi: The Way of the Samurai
  • Saga de Sturlaug el Laborioso. Saga de Ragnar Calzas Peludas. Relato de los Hijos de Ragnar
  • MiG Alley: The US Air Force in Korea, 1950–53
  • Don't Burn This Book: Thinking for Yourself in an Age of Unreason
  • Presidents of War: The Epic Story, from 1807 to Modern Times
Thomas Edwin "Tom" Ricks (born September 25, 1955) is an American journalist who writes on defense topics. He is a Pulitzer Prize-winning former reporter for the Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. He writes a blog at ForeignPolicy.com and is a member of the Center for a New American Security, a defense policy think tank.

He lectures widely to the military and is a member of Harvard University