Start by marking “Irex” as Want to Read:
Irex

Irex

4.79  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In the harsh winter of December 1889, the sailing vessel Irex leaves Scotland bound for Rio de Janeiro. She carries three thousand tons of pig iron and just three passengers for what should be a routine voyage. But Captain Will Hutton discovers that one of his passengers hides a horrifying secret.

When the Irex is wrecked off the Isle of Wight six weeks later, it falls to
Published September 25th 2016 by Rackman Books

To ask other readers questions about Irex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irex

Suzanne Rogerson
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
What a book!
I liked the writing instantly and was intrigued by the whole premise of the story. It did start a little slow and there was a lot of description throughout the book, but it was fascinating being transported back in time to the Victorian era on the Isle of Wight and aboard the Irex as it attempted to sail to Rio.

There were twists I wasn't expecting that dragged me deeper into the story and the book was written in a way that compelled you to read on. It switched in time to before the s
Mae Clair
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent story that alternates between two timelines with differing sets of characters, Irex is extremely well-written nautical adventure, historical tale and mystery novel rolled into one.

William Hutton, Captain of the sailing ship Irex, takes three passengers onboard during the ship’s maiden voyage. The seas are treacherous, but greater treachery evolves when Hutton learns an astounding secret related to one of the passengers.

From the start, the reader is aware the voyage does not end we
N.A. Granger
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is actually a 4.5 star book!

Irex is Carl Rackman’s debut novel, and in terms of creating a feeling of doom and tension in totally bleak surroundings, this author succeeds too well!

Set in the late Victorian era, the story alternates between the maiden voyage of the steel hulled, tall ship Irex, and the investigation into the causes of its wreck and the fate of the survivors amongst her passengers. The settings: The Firth of Clyde, the North Atlantic and the Isle of Wight – all in late winte
Cathy Ryan
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I have to say it’s hard to believe this is a debut novel. It’s so good and the quality of the writing is excellent throughout. The story is based in history, the ship, a couple of the main crew members, reason for the wreck and the attempts at rescue, are all fact. Carl Rackman has woven an incredibly imaginative and compelling tale around that tragic event.

Frederick Blake, the County Coroner for Hampshire, arrives in Newport on the Isle of White in February, 1890 to conduct an inq
Sue
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's rare for me to give 5 stars, especially for a genre that I wouldn't normally touch, but this book is so atmospheric, so gripping, so intriguing, so entertaining that I could not award less.

The story is set in two slightly different times - Dec 1889, the ill-fated steel-hulled sailing ship Irex leaves Greenock, Scotland on her maiden voyage to South America (although she turned back to England after suffering several massive storms before wrecking off the Isle of Wight) alternates with the
Elizabeth Lloyd
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in the late Victorian era in the claustrophobic environment of a sailing ship, this dark tale of passion, blackmail and murder is intensified by the onslaught of a savage storm and the threat of mutiny. The inevitable shipwreck must be investigated by an honest coroner, Frederick Blake, who arrives on the Isle of Wight, seeking the truth although thwarted, apparently, by government intervention. While Blake is ably assisted by Mr Rennie, a canny Scottish journalist, we read of the true event ...more
Bill Dodsworth
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Captain, oh captain why were you distracted, was it passion or blackmail?
A tale of intrigue written in two interweaving threads; the coroner tries to untangle the mysteries of events upon the stricken ship whilst the parallel narrative explains events from the past as they actually happened.
Written in a beautiful style that keeps the pages turning!
There were enough hints at historical events and people to spark me to research some history whilst I was reading. Carl claims it is all fiction, but
Kristin.
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great tale!

Irex is an amazing narrative about the maiden, yet tragic, voyage of the sailing ship, Irex. The passengers on this ill-fated journey were an unusual group whose affairs involved the captain and his crew, a prince- of dubious character, a beautiful woman- widowed during the earlier days of the voyage, as they battled hurricane force winds during the Irex's only sailing .
Terry Tyler

This is a debut novel, and a fine achievement it is. Set in the late 19th Century, it centres around the maiden voyage of tall ship Irex, and good Christian captain Will Hutton. Although a cargo vessel, the Irex has also taken on a few passengers: the mysterious aristocrat Edward Clarence, and Salavation Army missionaries George and Elizabeth Barstow.

Irex's voyage is ill-fated from the beginning, with a false start, and terrible storms. Fascinated by his passengers, Hutton begins to bec
Izzy Purusram
Jul 08, 2017
ronald eugene granger
Feb 04, 2017
Carl Rackman
Oct 22, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kath Halford
cassie
Jun 11, 2018
Susan Leonard
Dec 04, 2016
Hi! I'm Carl Rackman, a British former airline pilot turned author. I spent my working life travelling the world and this has given me a keen interest in other people and cultures. I've drawn on my many experiences for my writing.

I write suspense thrillers with a grounded science-fiction theme. I like reading novels that feature atmospheric locales and I enjoy complex, absorbing storylines combine
More about Carl Rackman