Start by marking “Robert E. Howard's Weird Works Volume 1: Shadow Kingdoms” as Want to Read:
Robert E. Howard's Weird Works Volume 1: Shadow Kingdoms

Robert E. Howard's Weird Works Volume 1: Shadow Kingdoms

(The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard #1)

Shadow Kingdoms is the first volume of the Weird Works of Robert E. Howard, presenting all of Howard's work for the pulp magazine Weird Tales meticulously restored to its original magazine texts.

This volume begins with "Spear and Fang," Howard's first professional fiction sale, and concludes with "Red Thunder," a gripping sword & sorcery tale. Series characters present
Published May 1st 2006 by Wildside Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Robert E. Howard's Weird Works Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert E. Howard's Weird Works Volume 1

Johnny
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased two volumes of these reprints from Howard’s early writings and I wish I had purchased the entire five volume set. The store where I found them is sold out and now, I’ll probably have to go to another store or online to get the rest. But I will get the rest. I was never a huge fan of Conan. Oh, I read some of the volumes of Howard’s most famous works and watched the collateral damage of the movies and the comics, but I was never a huge fan. I knew that Howard had also written about an ...more
Jim
This is a pretty good sampling of REH's stories, although there are several Soloman Kanes & a couple of Kulls, there is a sprinkling of other characters. All very good & well narrated. Some were almost productions, but I don't think that helped them any. REH has a cadence to his work that makes any additional acting extraneous. The words speak very well by themselves & the stories are often hindered by the narrator attempting to put more into them.

In the REH group, I mentioned how OS
Michael Sorbello
Spear and Fang - 3/5

A decent stone-age fantasy story. A girl gets abducted by a beast-man, a strong warrior fights the kidnapper to the death and gets her back. Not spectacular, but a nice example of early sword and sorcery.

***
Wolfhead/Forest of Villefere - 3/5

One of the earliest examples of the werewolf legend, back when they were terrifying and shrouded in dark superstitions. It almost reads like a side quest in a fantasy RPG. Simple and effective.

***
The Lost Race 3/5

A story about racial preju
Иван Иванов
Всъщност, чел съм повечето фантастични произведения на Хауърд (а и някои от нефантастичните), само че тия дни ми попадна в ръчичките цялата поредица "Weird Works of Robert E. Howard", та реших да ги почна наред. Фен съм, какво да се прави :)
Та значи, тази поредица включва всички произведения на Хауърд, публикувани в "Weird Tales". Текстовете са сверени с оригиналните публикации и НЕ са цензурирани (за радост на ценителите и за безмерна скръб на робите на политическата коректност, които се изприщ
Andy
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One goal of mine is to read all the big name authors from Weird Tales -- Lovecraft, Smith and Howard especially. Howard is the one author I have neglected thus far. Before reading this, I'd read a handful of his stories.

I'm only going to give this collection 3 stars because a lot of this is early work, it's fun but often predictable. However, this is only the first volume of ten, and I could see how Howard improved greatly. There are still some very good stories here too, "Wolfshead," "Sea Curs
Rick
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Howard is the master of the pulp tale. This volume had a few stories I have not read before, including the great Skull-Face. Also has a few good Kull stories, though he is my least-favorite REH character. And it also had some nice Soloman Kane stories too, who sometimes challenges Conan in my mind for the best REH character.
The only disappointment for me was the first story in the volume, "The Lost Race," which I thought was a weaker Howard story. That, and I cannot say I am a huge fan of poetry
MB Taylor
Early stories by the creator of Conan. According to the back cover this is the first volume in a series to reprint "the complete fantasy works of Robert E. Howard from the legendary pulp magazine Weird Tales (and several other classic publication. ... and are for the first time presented in order of original publication." It seems like every few years some publisher starts printing another one; I know I have at least two other multi-volume sets of his work. The is the only volume I have in this ...more
Rob McMonigal
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Date read is a guess. Once I realized that I liked Howard, I managed to see this on the library shelves. Holy archival material, Batman! This is the first in a planned 10-volume set of all the stories the great Howard had published in Weird Tales. Here we get the first Kull story, the first Solomon Kane story, and other tales that show Howard's growth as a writer.

Of all his creations, I think Kane may have been one of the best, perhaps even better than Conan. Howard creates a man who contradicts
Lou Gall Jr.
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fantasy/weird fiction fan
Alright! The first volume in a series that presents Howards fantasy and weird fiction in the order that the stories were published and in the original un-altered form. No de Camp/Carter/Nyborg revisions here, 100% pure Howard. Also included (and my first chance to read many of them) is Howards poetry in the same vein. Having grown up with Conan & REH's fiction in general and never having stopped enjoying them, this is a special treat. Even the very early stories, while somewhat clumsy and pu ...more
Virag
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book my brother got for Christmas years ago and has been obsessed with ever since. While I do love the boy I tend to avoid anything he touches....
But anyway, while I was in Hungary for three weeks, well, I wanted to read something in English dang it, so this was my only choice.
Suprisingly, I loved some of these stories.

The Lost Race, The Kane Cronicles, The Dream Snake, The Hyena, Skulls in the Stars, Crete , and several others were an excellent 5/5 stars. However, there were about th
Roland Volz
Jul 19, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sword & Sorcery fans
Shelves: fantasy, poetry, pulp
Shadow Kingdoms is the first volume in a series dedicated to collecting all the published material of Robert E. Howard, one of the greatest pulp authors of all time. This book collects the first short stories and poems of his career, collected in unedited form.

It is interesting to use these stories to chart Howard's development as a writer. After several generic Pulp stories, he developed the character of Solomon Kane, three stories of which can be found in this collection. He also makes the fir
Tom Fredricks
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read this because I enjoyed the Conan stories of Howard so much. The stories in this collection did no disappoint. There are a number of horror stories in here. They remind me of the old school radio horror and are well executed. Locations are exotic and the action, as always with Howard, moves at a fast pace.

There are also some Howard poems in here. They read a little like heavy metal lyrics, but I rather enjoyed them.

Good sampling of Howard's non Conan stories. I would warn that there is a bit
Wes
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert E. Howard is my favorite author of all time. This collection of his early short fiction and poetry was perhaps the most inspirational book I've ever read. Howard wrote for practically all of his very short life and had such a flair for language. Never have the most violent, gruesome and weird ideas been communicated with such beauty and finesse. My favorite selections from this collection are: "The Dream Snake", "The Hyena", "Sea Curse", "Red Shadows", "The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune", and "R ...more
David Meditationseed
Tales full of mythological aspects mixed with mystery and horror.

This book features a marvelous selection that can read in a brightly lit populous city or in a warm small house at the foot of a mountain. It instigates and inspires a fireplace, with a good drink to let the imagination go to the worlds of the existence of supernatural and immemorial beings living in our planet long before the existence of the human being. But when we access them, its not like a beautiful rainbow crossing a calm s
Rosa Sophia
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastic
This book is the first of a ten volume set. All of Howard’s stories that were originally published in pulp magazines have been restored and re-published in the order in which they were printed. This book (and the collection in general) are great for long-time fans as well as new fans. The book includes well known stories as well as lesser known tales, and introduces some of Howard’s most memorable characters, such as King Kull and Solomon Kane. The book also includes Howard’s poetry.
Farth
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pour ceux qui souhaitent découvrir les premiers écrits de Robert Howard, avant Conan, publiés dans Weird Tales à la fin des années 1930, ce titre est fait pour vous.
On y retrouve ces premiers héros, principalement Kull l'Atlante et Solomon Kane. Ce dernier est d'ailleurs assez intéressant et il fait très bien le lien entre le roman gothique anglais et le récit fantastique lovecraftien qui inspirera ensuite certains récits de Conan.
Timothy Boyd
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series of book reprints, unedited, Robert E. Howard's stories in the order they were published in Weird Tales magazine, one year per volume. In book one, two of Howard's greatest characters are introduced for the first time, Solomon Kane and King Kull. Exceptional action and fantasy stories as only Howard Can tell them. My highest recommendation
Phil Syphe
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded free copies of "Weird Works" Volumes 1, 2, & 4 to read the short stories that were new to me. Transpires that all the unread material were short poems, so I soon got through these books.

I'm no fan of poetry, but Howard's style is palatable. The prose tales in this collection are the main attraction and I recommend them to anyone new to the works of this great writer.
Walter Mcwilliams
The first of a ten volume set that collects all of Howard's writings for Weird Tales in chronological order, in the original magazine text. Highlights of this volume include his first Solomon Kane and Kull stories, as well as several of his poems including two of my all time favorites "The Harp of Alfred" and "The Moor Ghost". An excellent read and two more volumes are on the way!!
Matthew
As the anthology is arranged by date of publication, it has an odd feel; horror drifts to fantasy to "Yellow Peril". Still the reading of a REH story is always a good way to pass some time.
Newt cox
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
About halfway thru,haven't read it in months now. Collection of Howards stuff from weird tales. In chronological order.Soloman Kane stories have been the standouts.
Alan
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
3/5 because I really liked the Solomon Kane stories but found Kull somewhat dull.
Mike Flinchum
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad has been a lifelong fan of Conan. You can feel the writing style of when this was published.
Scott Miller
Several very good stories, including early Solomon Kane and Kull the Conquerer. Also contains some rather average poetry.
Kevin welter
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again Robert E Howard was the first euro american pulp dark fantasy writer perhaps the father of such types of tales. Death's poet can make you not wanna stop till your done with the story.
Helen Damnation

• Alberic the Wise
  • Fieldbook
  • Chickamauga
  • Spectre Nightmares and Visitations
  • Forests of the Night (Moreau, #1)
  • The Wind in the Rosebush and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • Cascade Point and Other Stories
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Fantasy
  • Mad Amos
  • Great Ghost Stories
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p

The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard (10 books)
  • Moon of Skulls (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #2)
  • People of the Dark (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #3)
  • Wings in the Night (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #4)
  • Valley of the Worm (The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard, #5)
  • The Garden of Fear (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #6)
  • Beyond the Black River
  • Hours Of The Dragon (The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard, #8)
  • Black Hounds of Death