Start by marking “Jesus and the Beanstalk: Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life” as Want to Read:
Jesus and the Beanstalk: Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life

Jesus and the Beanstalk: Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life

We live in unsettling, challenging times. Everywhere we look, we see giant problems: giant obstacles to sharing faith, giant barriers to peaceful lives, giant strongholds of fear. But what if you knew eight small secrets to unlocking a strength big enough to overcome whatever obstacle life may bring?

Using allegory and a bit of humor, Jesus and the Beanstalk explores a pass
Published September 20th 2016 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about Jesus and the Beanstalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus and the Beanstalk

Start your review of Jesus and the Beanstalk: Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life
Carole Jarvis
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2dsF8Pa

When I first saw the title, I thought this was a story for children. However, closer inspection revealed it to be a Christian living book inspired by a fairy tale and with a very relevant message for today’s times. Jesus and the Beanstalk is a unique book that can be used for personal or group study, and I enjoyed it very much.

Facts ground us, give us footing, and secure us in place, but stories lift our eyes to meet his gaze. Lori Stanley Roe
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Jesus and the Beanstalk may not have grabbed me with the title, but it certainly did capture me completely in the introduction. Here, Roeleveld sets the stage for her book by emphasizing one of my favorite truths: stories are powerful agents of change.

In addition to the introduction, the book is divided into three parts – Jesus and the Beanstalk, Trading In Our Cows, and Clinging to the Vine – as well as a Once Upon a Foreword and a Happily Ever Afterword. In short, Jesus and the Beanstalk is th
Deb Haggerty
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deb’s Dozen: We all have our giants. Overcome yours by living a fruit-filled life.

Jesus and the Beanstalk by Lori Stanley Roeleveld. The book has long been released. I was on her street team. I was supposed to read and tout the book throughout my social media. I was supposed to write this review and post it everywhere during her blog tour. I didn’t.

I confess I had a very hard time reading this book. Lori always makes me think. She makes me consider things I don’t necessarily want to face—my gian
Ladyp
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don’t usually like reading books like “Jesus and the Beanstalk” because most of the time they are full of platitudes and that in itself just gets old.
But I have some giants in my life right now that lent me to believe that this book just might give me some insight on how to deal with them.

The beanstalk theory is going off the old nursery rhyme about “Jack and the Beanstalk.” This book is about teaching you how to be a giant slayer!
It will give you some helpful tips on slaying your giants with
Rebecca Ray
I think that all of us who are Christ followers want to live a fruitful life. We find that sometimes because of fear, apathy or sin that we have in our life that we can’t grow spiritually and that we can’t pass on our faith in a way that leads to a a fruitful life. I know that I have my own struggles with fear and “giants in my life.” So, when I received the opportunity to review Jesus and the Beanstalk: Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life, I was intrigued by the author’s premise a ...more
Virginia Garrett
I was so hopeful with this book. So very, very hopeful.

Like you, and the rest of the world, I have giants. Giants that need to be slain. Giants I'm powerless against.

And that's the whole point. I'm powerless. But Jesus is powerful! And He is the giant-slayer.

If this book had just said that very thing it would have been a GREAT book! I would be singing it's praises. But it fell flat with me.

I felt as if the author was telling me to just be better at loving Jesus, produce in myself more faith.
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

Using allegory and a bit of humor, Jesus and the Beanstalk explores a passage in 2 Peter 1 to uncover eight truths that will help you unleash a larger-than-life faith:
- Faith
- Goodness
Cheryl Baranski
Jesus and The Beanstalk by Lori Stanley Roeleveld. With these every changing and challenging times are you strong in your faith and allowing it to grow and spread? This book is here will give you more to grow on. To me this book is for those that have faith and are ready to spread their wings more. I received a copy of this book for my honest review. 3.5 stars!

Lisa Johnson
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Jesus & the Beanstalk
Author: Lori Stanley Roeleveld
Pages: 304
Year: 2016
Publisher: Abingdon Press
My rating is 5 stars.
Here is a very uniquely crafted devotional to help followers of Jesus defeat the giants in their lives while also bearing a fruitful life. At first, the title threw me as I thought what a crazy title and what’s inside to draw me closer to God with depth or is this just another nonsense type of devotional. What do I mean by nonsense? We have all read, perused or bought devot
Janelle Cole
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am pretty excited to share a new book with you!

jesus-and-the-beanstalk

Jesus and the Beanstalk : Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life

by Lori Stanley Roeleveld

The book is set up with six daily readings per week, with the sixth day being a Prayer, Reflection & Process Day. There are multiple chapters with different topics to dig into. After each reading there are questions that would be perfect for journalling through “Small Steps Towards Slaying Dragons.”

Each chapter is a short read
LeAnne Klopfenstein
Jesus and the Beanstalk~Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life provides a unique, creative, applicable & Biblically sound insight on what it means to conquer the giants in our lives. Author Lori Stanley Roelevold takes an in-depth look at 2 Peter, throws in the fairy tales we learned in childhood, and somehow manages to relate them to each other in a way so we see the truth of Christ's character in a way that allows us to better go after a closer walk and relationship with Him. The op ...more
Michelle
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Believers
Recommended to Michelle by: Litfuse Publicity
`Jesus and the Beanstalk` is a Spiritual Growth book written by author Lori Stanley Roeleveld. It uses allegory and humor to explore a passage in 2 Peter 1 to uncover eight truths to help you grow your faith. The intended audience is Believers. The author used several different Biblical translations as research: Common English Bible, New American Standard Bible, English Standard Version, and New International Version.
Author Lori Roeleveld is a blogger, wife, and mother. She has a Bachelor's de
Joan
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roeleveld encourages readers to be giant killers. With Christians facing many challenges in today's society, she reminds us of the faith and determination we need.

Her book is based on 2 Peter 1:1-10. In Part 1 Roeleveld explores effective and fruitful Christian living. In Part 2 she teaches strategic thinking about cultivating attitudes and experiences leading to spiritual growth in a culture opposed to Christ. Part 3 consists of ministudies on the qualities described in 2 Peter 1:1-10.

I like he
Julie D.
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, this book was extremely timely! With all the chaos in our world, it can be difficult to live a life believing that I am a giant slayer, but that's exactly what Lori shares with us in her excellent book!

This book could be used as a small group study as there are questions at the end of each section for you to ponder and answer. They are really keys to helping us slay those giants in our life. The greatest thing I loved about this book was the joy I had in reading it! You feel like the aut
Karen Korb
My Thoughts On The Book:  I had to chuckle to myself when I read the title of the book.  I mean, come on!  Jesus and the Beanstalk....but being a huge fan of Jack and the Beanstalk I was curious to say the least.  Lori Roeleveld did an wonderful job of writing this devotional.  I struggle with giants in my life on a day to day basis and was delighted to find this little help to defeating those giants and bearing fruit in my Christian life.  This book inspired me to get out my dusty journal and d ...more
Rachel Valentine
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great.  It was creative, and the metaphor of Jack and the Beanstalk was woven throughout it, but not in an overwhelming manner.  The first two parts were not as interesting to me, but the third section was wonderful!  It was written to be a daily Bible study over a couple of weeks, but in the interest of doing this review I read it in a couple of days.  There were a lot of essays relating to the truths found in 2 Peter 1, 5 for each truth.  Some of them were funny, some of them wer ...more
Rebekah Gyger
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read non-fiction, mostly because I find that the themes and messages found in fiction stick with me longer. But when I heard of this book, I was interested in how the author used a fairly simple fairy tale to draw allegory to the Christian faith, especially since it is one that most people already know.

However, Roeleveld does not simply rely on the story of Jack and the Beanstalk to make her points, she consistently backs them up with scripture and personal experiences. The refe
Crystal Carney
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading anything by Lori Stanley Roeleveld. I'm always nervous when reading something from a new(to me) author, but I'm happy to report that reading "Jesus & the Beanstalk" honestly felt like I was having a coffee/tea date with a friend. This book would be perfect to use in a small group Bible study. There are questions at the end of each section of the book for you to think about & answer. There are a lot of beautiful stories in this book that that will tug at your heart.

I
Jason Stanley
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading Lori Stanley Roeleveld’s newest book, Jesus and the Beanstalk, I connected with it. It was as if Roeleveld had peeked inside my brain and caught a glimpse of the questions I had recently been pondering.

This, I learned, is the nature of her blog and her book. Her writing has an approachable style to it, as if she were sitting at a kitchen table and talking with you directly over a cup of coffee.

It does not take much for us to realize that we live in unsettling, challenging
Clarice James
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lori doesn't mess around with the small stuff. No fairy tale or pabulum in Jesus and the Beanstalk, but there’s plenty to feed on. I’d been doing a bible study with a well-known teacher whose message lately has gotten lost in clever words and flowery phrases. When I picked up Lori’s book, I knew it was different. Lori isn’t clever; she’s smart. She isn’t flowery; she’s focused. She doesn’t run around the mulberry bush, she gets to the point. It’s not shallow, but it’s worth it.
Karen
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has a great concept behind it, but it just wasn't for me. The writing style jumped around too much for me and I felt a bit of rambling. Just not for me. *I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.*
Sheri Yutzy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking and practical. I want to read it again and again. I learned so much from the word studies.
Cherrilynn Bisbano
We all have giants in our lives. Lori helps us overcome. Lori has her finger on the pulse of God's heart. Her writing is real and penetrates the heart.
Denise
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Abingdon Press brings us the uniquely titled book Jesus And The Beanstalk: Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life by Lori Stanley Roeleveld. At first I was hesitant to read this book due to the strange title, but you definitely can't judge a book by its cover (title)! Don't pass this one up due to the quirky title. The book description reads:

"We live in unsettling, challenging times. Everywhere we look, we see giant problems: giant obstacles to sharing faith, giant barriers to peacefu
Sandra Lovelace
This collection of articles gathered around the tale of Jack and the Beanstalk is joyful and valuable. There are few people who can weave the two together as well as Lori Roeleveld. It can be used as a devotional too.
Mark
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are books that instantly grab your attention, and this is one such book with the interesting title. What does Jesus have to do with the beanstalk anyway?

In spite of the odd but interesting title, this is not a weird book. The subtitle of the book is "Overcoming Your Giants and Living a Fruitful Life." Even without the subtitle, one would assume the book is about giants.

I found the book a very interesting and helpful book. There were a couple of quotes that impressed me so much that I sh
Robin Luftig
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lori Roeleveld has done it again with her book, Jesus and the Beanstalk: Overcoming Giants and Living a Fruitful Life. Once again she’s tapped into my person—my being—and wrote thoughts I only dared acknowledge to myself. Reading this book, it’s as if she’s given a voice to my fears and challenges, and allowed them to the surface where I can see to them for what they are. Time after time I’d cover a portion of her book, only to stop reading and ponder not only her words, but marvel how God has u ...more
Pam
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the seeds we can plant to overcome the Giants in our lives. This focuses on the seeds like virtue, knowledge, self-control, godliness, brotherly affection and love that we use to strengthen our Christian faith. The author uses a lot of personal stories and references some movies and tv shows, that make it relatable and current. This would be useful for a daily study series. The chapters are short and the author has a few assignments for reading in the bible to go along with th ...more
Karen Murphy
Apr 22, 2017
Mary Beth
Mar 14, 2018

• Raising Human Beings: Creating a Collaborative Partnership with Your Child
  • His Testimonies, My Heritage: Women of Color on the Word of God
  • Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
  • Gender Roles and the People of God: Rethinking What We Were Taught about Men and Women in the Church
  • Marriage in the Middle: Embracing Midlife Surprises, Challenges, and Joys
  • The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules
Lori Stanley Roeleveld is a disturber of hobbits who enjoys making comfortable Christians late for dinner.

Her new book, Running from a Crazy Man (and other adventures traveling with Jesus) is available wherever fine books are sold.

Jesus lover. Blogger. Wife. Mother. Part-time dragon slayer. Not available for children's parties.

You’ll find Lori at her website http://www.loriroeleveld.com or on her