Start by marking “Silent” as Want to Read:
Silent

Silent

For fans of The Book Thief and Raiders of the Lost Ark, this thrilling new novel set during World War I features a girl who must pretend to be a male soldier to save her younger brothers.

Adi is an outrider, rejected by both her British father’s and Indian mother’s cultures, so she is no stranger to trouble. But when a mysterious agitator called “Coal” kidnaps Adi’s twin br
Published March 7th 2017 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Silent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent

Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
*4.5 stars*

This review can also be found at The Reader and the Chef! Huge thanks to Merit Press for the review copy in exchange of my honest opinion.*

Okay, um, wow. Silent by David Mellon is such a captivating read. It's perfect for fans of Historical Fiction since it is set during World War I but it will also appeal to readers who love a bit of magic and mystery!

This book is about the struggles of a young Indian-British girl who is unfortunate to be caught up in the schemes of a stranger calle
David
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Now that's a hell of a book. Though I might be slightly biased. : )
Bob
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A preview volume of Silent (davidmellonsilent.com) was made available to me. Immediately engaging, it is a read it straight through while not wanting it to end kind of book. Looking forward to the illustrations coming in the final version. I recommend this novel for all ages
Vicki
I meant to post this review when I read Silent and now it's been a couple months and my memory isn't very good but here goes...

SPOILERS I have discovered that I love reading historical fiction, and it is because of writers such as David Mellon, the author of this book, that I love reading this genre so much. I thought the writing was engaging and the plot very novel. It's set during World War I which I know little about so it was interesting to learn a little as I read.

The MC is a young multicu
Larry Barber
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot to savor in this World War I historical adventure tale revolving around the disappearance of twin brothers, which is what besets Adi Dahl, a young woman of British and Indian parents. I think readers of any age will be tantalizingly engaged by the story: the arduous challenge to solve puzzling riddles and locate the brothers while keeping afloat in war torn France. The charming but suspicious machinations of the wily Coal fall unsettlingly on the innocent Adi as she considers how ...more
Melinda
I received a free copy through Goodreads.
---
I rather enjoyed this book. It was interesting and full of surprises. It is a very engaging read, definitely recommended for adults and young adults.

Adi, an Indian-British young woman, is tasked with looking after her twin half brothers just before the start of World War I. She was used by Cole (the devious creature that he is, never quite sure what he is but he is definitely a mischievous war causing creature), to try and harm an army official, only
Mary
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
i finished this book within a week of starting it. books usually take me at least a month to finish...but not this one. wow. I really didn't know what to think when I received this book. Based on the review I thought it would be a YA historical fiction novel of a girl during WWI and her quest to find her brothers. Boy was I off. it was historical fiction with a young womanas the main character, with what I wouldn't necessarily say magic, more supernatural, elements to it that grabbed my attentio ...more
Trisha
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I guess that's what Hell is, really. Just the place where no one asks any questions anymore."

This was a wonderful adventure of a story. The background of the war, the story is about one day where Adi found herself in a foreign land with 2 boys to look after. That stress wasn't enough, the same day the boys are kicked out of school, Adi is fired from her job after a strange encounter.
But that was not the end to her strange moments - she nearly loses her life that day, along with her voice and he
Joany de Vries-Verbrugge
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Toen ik dit boek vanmorgen begon te lezen had ik geen idee dat ik het nog dezelfde dag uit zou krijgen. Maar dat is een perfect voorbeeld van hoe moeilijk de auteur het maakt om dit verhaal los te laten.
Het boek is YA met een literair glanslaagje maar laat zich erg moeilijk onderverdelen in een subgenre.
Hoewel ik het boek geen eer aan doe met mijn vergelijking wil ik jullie toch een klein idee geven van wat je te wachten staat in dit boek: denk aan een combinatie van de films 'Cold mountain' en
Glenda Beck
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Isabel
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
wow wow wow!! so good and strange and cool!
Chris
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished David Mellon's Silent. Beautifully written and very entertaining. I'm a big fan of magical realism since reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez years ago. Silent walks a fine line between magic and realism. It's a great adventure novel set during WW1. The magical part comes with the "villain" Coal. Never quite sure if he is evil incarnate and simply mad. The heroine, Adi, is a young girl in a strange land, which is why, I guess, the book is listed as "YA" ...more
Fred Joyal
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What drew me into Silent at first was the beauty of the writing. The author paints with words, and you can completely visualize the scenes that the characters are in. But then the uniqueness of the characters, and the tension of World War I as well as the mysterious villain that oppresses the lead character Adi became the most captivating parts.

Though it is aimed at young adults, the author treats the reader with maturity and sophistication, and never takes the easy storytelling path. This book
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Normally, when I read YA, I tend to go for the straightforward contemporary storyline rather than the more popular fantasy or dystopian concepts. I also, in general, don’t read much historical fiction. However, after finishing SILENT, I’m reconsidering my reading habits, although I think I’ll be hard pressed to find something this uniquely beautiful and magical again.

SILENT is not just a historical fiction YA novel which is what I initially thought going in. It’s so much more than that. Yes, it
Kearstyn
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
If only the female protagonist's character was as fleshed out as the male supporting characters. Weird how the author was able to make the men fully-formed humans, but not the woman central to the entire novel.
Jesse Swartzwelder
I read Silent by David Mellon. I had got it for free from Goodreads. I thought it was a good book with a great concept and good strong characters. It was a very quick and easy read. A great book to read when you have enough time to breeze through a easy read. David did a good job with a fresh new take on a know war. I would recommend this book to anyone of any age.
T.J. Burns
Sep 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Shanti Abilhomme
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was really interesting and a good read, the only thing that confused me were the different perspectives and who/what Coal is.
Betty
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the story plot of this book, loved the characters, couldn't put it down. But it did jump around too much for my liking. Sometimes I had to back read to see if I missed something till I learned to keep reading and he would eventually fill you in on which character and when. Still a highly recommended book.
I-Sha
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story! The author had a unique way of writing. I also loved the historical aspect of the plot. The character of Coal is left very open-ended, and till the end the reader never really knows why Adi was chosen but even then, the story fully captured my attention and left me satisfied.
H. Price
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and an amazing read. I loved it!
Nicole Girolomo
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book though a giveaway on Goodreads.com. For some unknown reason I started it a while ago, read 40 pages and put it aside. I picked it up again this week and couldn’t put it down. An amazing story set during WWI of a brave girl who overcomes so many difficulties and manages to save her brother’s lives. The girl does not speak but somehow manages to make friends, fall in love, perform surgery, pass as a male soldier. The book is fast paced but weaves a great story.
Jenny McKinnon
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I was initially drawn to this book because of the description that said Adi disguised herself as a male soldier to help her find her twin brothers. Even though the part about her being a soldier is not a huge part of the book I still liked it. I liked Adi and George's characters. I really struggled to understand who Coal was and why he was doing that to Adi and her brothers, also the part on the last two pages about the boy finding Coal in the park really confused me and made me not like the end ...more
Elisha
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
**4.5 Stars**

SILENT by David Mellon is quite cinematic, which makes sense as the author has been a storyboard artist in the film and television industry for the last thirty-five years. All of the descriptions in this historical fantasy, whether they are people or places, are primarily visual, so much so that it is easy to picture the world Mellon has created. Even the page breaks he uses are reminiscent of a movie edit, where in the middle of a linear story, a flashback or additional information
Catherine
I received this book free through Goodreads First Read.

Interesting idea. I liked the challenge Adi faced when trying to find her brothers without talking. I feel like some kids will not understand parts or locations if they are not familiar with WW1.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The story shifts through time: 1868 up to 1918.
Fifteen year old Adi Dahl is sent on an epic journey that takes her across
the battlefields of Europe in order to rescue her two brothers.
The plot has a touch of Magic Realism to it, similar to the movie: "Pan's
Labyrinth."
Roma
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story, or plot, driven book, Silent did a great job of keeping me invested, not only in the mystery, but also in the characters. I found them all interesting and believable.

The villain, always a determining factor in such books, was creepy, sometimes otherworldly, and coldly calculating. But he also very human in surprising ways. He made me curious, and drew pity, even sympathy, from me at times.

While this is a YA novel, I would really recommend this compelling novel to anyone middle grade or
Nina
I mayyyy have a slight obsession for odd but lovely fairy tale retellings. If Shakespeare, World War I, and the Six Swans (the one where the princess has to rescue her older brothers turned into swans and stay silent the whole time) were to meet, this would be that book.

The pacing is pretty fast and the story is only mostly in chronological order (we follow Adi, our British-Indian heroine, throughout, but we get flashbacks). Normally I'd complain about the lack of (written) development of charac
Xochitl
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm really not used to reading historical fiction but this book made me feel like I wasn't. It still amazes me that I greatly enjoyed this book. I like how the author doesn't bombard you with the facts happening during the war but he sparsely disperses it along the way. I also just loved Adi to pieces and her strong character throughout the novel.
Cheryl
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book, evocatively written and i simply zoomed through it. Hardly limited to young adults...this is an excellent first novel by this promising writer.
« previous 1 3 next »
Crazy for Young A...: Silent, by David Mellon → Start Date: May 17th, 2017 21 21 Jun 20, 2017 10:50AM