Start by marking “Three Weeks Less a Day” as Want to Read:
Three Weeks Less a Day

Three Weeks Less a Day

John George Mortimer is at the top of his game. The company he built from the ground up is now one of the largest in the world, and exciting developments promise to broaden its reach into even bigger markets. He prides himself on making good decisions and surrounding himself with strong, capable people, but after learning he has developed breast cancer, he realizes he must ...more
Published September 21st 2016 by FriesenPress

To ask other readers questions about Three Weeks Less a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Weeks Less a Day

Start your review of Three Weeks Less a Day
Gary McGugan
Oct 11, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A confession. Exploring the site, I accidentally checked 'currently reading'. Actually, that's not correct. I'm the author. However, writing and editing the book, I read it 35 or 36 times.

I know it's not good form to review my own work, so I'll just say this: If you enjoy reading Three Weeks Less a Day just half as much as I enjoyed telling the story, I think you'll consider it a good value proposition!
Dan Lightfoot
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Three Weeks Less A Day is a thoroughly engaging, punchy mystery romp. The corporate backdrop creates a unique stage for the drama to unfold, the author's past experience and knowledge of this world combine to create a highly believable framework for this story. I look forward to more from this new author.
Linda McGugan
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Three Weeks Less A Day! Although this is the author's first novel, it was very easy to read and maintained my interest throughout. I would have liked to see a little more character development but thoroughly enjoyed the quick pace and building suspense. A great read!
Tracy Kagan
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, loved the short chapters which came in handy because as the book progressed I kept saying just one more chapter. The book builds up to where I found I didn't want to put it down.
Heather
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure of the 'corporate lingo' at the beginning of the book but the story quickly emerged and sucked me in. Great read, really enjoyed the twists and turns.
Cathy McGugan
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Three Weeks Less a Day, is a fast paced book, full of interesting characters, locations and intrigue. Once I started reading it was hard to put down.
Norm Goldman
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookpleasures
On the back cover of Gary D. McGugan's first novel, Three Weeks Less A day, there is a description of the author as being someone who loves to tell stories. I would like to further add, he tells his story like a master of suspense as he deftly builds up a story that takes some surprising swerves. This is very much in evidence with this intricate fast-moving yarn that will keep you on the edge-of-your-seat until the very end. And just when you believe you have the plot all figured out, McGugan th ...more
Reader Views
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Sheri Hoyte for Reader Views (7/19)

“Three Weeks Less a Day” is the first book in a trilogy of novels by Gary D. McGugan. It’s a fascinating international corporate thriller that will leave readers wondering what really goes on behind boardroom doors.

When John George Mortimer, CEO of Multima Corporation learns he has breast cancer, he knows he must start looking for his successor – but he’s going to do things his way. Mortimer’s board of directors are aware only of his plans to retire
David Lloyd
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great first novel by business executive and author Gary McGugan. This novel was about the struggles between high level corporate executes and the competition they face every day at with their jobs. The story was unlike any I have ever read before and this I liked. I was fortunate to meet the author at a book signing and found him to be a very interesting person. He's a former business executive and current business consultant and the story he tells about the international corporate world demonst ...more
Nevergreen
DNF'ed at 30ish%. Some things I liked/were good: The writing seemed less clunky the further I got in, which is great, and I absolutely love the title of this book and the spotlight on male patients of breast cancer, which is not talked about enough.

The not so good: obviously I didn't finish the book. Normally I can push through a book, and I especially try for a self published book, but I couldn't with this one. At some point I may try again as I have been known to pick a book back up after year
Ian Millington
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a thoroughly enjoyable read...I loved the way the book kept you second guessing the moves that would be made by the principal characters - the twists and the turns kept me completely hooked until the last chapter. I normally second guess the endings of such books - Gary congratulations you completely fooled me!!! Already looking forward to the follow up......
John Fairbairn
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise or synopsis of the book sounded interesting on the surface. However, I did not enjoy reading the book once I started. Too slow and little interaction between characters. The writing style was too simplistic... it seemed geared towards a younger audience - maybe young teens. I struggled to find any interesting words in the book. Not a page turner.
Katie Hardwick
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I met the author at the Oshawa Chapters location a few weeks ago as he stood patiently behind a table looking to entice readers to buy his book. I asked him to tell me about the story and his eyes lit up as he told me a bit about the novel. I was hooked instantly.

The chapters are short but not lacking in page - turning excitement. It will keep you guessing until the very end.
Josh
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Gary in a bookstore; like a true business man he sold me on his book. I was skeptical, this is a break from my normal read, but he didn't let me down. This was the first book in a long while that I couldn't put down. You told me I'd be back for more Gary, you weren't wrong!
Louise
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly enjoyed the book. Well written, with a credible plot that keeps you wanting to read on. Bravo!
Kathy Dobronyi
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We truly live in a global economy when products on your grocers shelves may come from Japan, China and your local growers. Technology is also part of this economy where Germany and Russia contribute for ease at the checkout. Industrial espionage is also part of the global economy. It certainly plays a part in the succession of the new CEO of John George Mortimer’s dynamic and successful corporation. Who would have thought a mastectomy would lead to game changing events for his three top candidat ...more
S.L.
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The characters are charming and exciting, and it was so much fun getting inside their heads, learning how they tick, and trying to anticipate their next moves. They are multidimensional with commanding personalities and unrelenting determination, while also exhibiting genuine characte
Gail
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an enjoyable and well written book. We follow 3 top executives as they are challenged by their CEO John George Mortimer to develop a game changer for each of their respective business areas to present to the board of directors. The idea is that the executive favoured by the board of directors will succeed John who is intending to step down. We suddenly find ourselves immersed into the business world of a top company and the trials and tribulations that each of the 3 executives find ...more
T.Mcgugan
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This page turning novel kept me at the edge of my seat inside this corporate setting of a company going through management changes. Filled with suspense and drama, this story takes you through twists and turns and leaves you wanting more. It is the authors first of three novels for this series. I was able to easily follow through this story and enjoyed the unpredictable adventures the characters would find themselves in. What a great escape and enjoyable journey Gary McGugan took me through and ...more
Murray Pollard
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptional book, getting your attention right from the start. It puts you at the highest levels of a large corporation's intrigue, politics, and the corporate planing of executive level decisions. This, combined with the accuracy of the lifestyle, and international flavour of the business make this an intriguing book from start to finish.
Lisa
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As you get deeper into the story, and deeper into the characters, you really want to keep going to see what comes next! As the story goes on it gets better and better. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next from this new author, will certain characters be back and will certain plotlines continue, can't wait for more!
Heather McGugan
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I was captured at once by each of the characters and the role they would portray. My interest was piqued by the twists & turns, marvelling at the author's ability to casually weave in elements that would later turn out to be of key importance. Three Weeks Less a Day was a great read with enough suspense to keep me wanting more. Sequel please!
Irene McCallum
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved it, loved it, loved it! Three Weeks Less a Day is very easy to read. Chapters are short and keep you in suspense. As someone else said, I just wanted to keep on reading it and see what the next chapter would bring! Enjoyed the characters and the locations. I will definitely recommend it to my friends. Loved the ending! Congratulations Gary on a novel well done.

Dalton McGugan
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three weeks less a day is a story full of interesting characters, exotic locales and lots of twists and turns. All the characters take you into the story and you have to keep reading to see what happens. Once you start reading you will not be able to put it down.
Rona
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Three Weeks Less a Day by Gary McGugan is a well written novel with plot twists and turns. The novel is an easy read with short chapters which are a very welcomed part of this book for me. The book is exciting and it was hard to put down. Looking forward to future readings from this author.
Ann
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was not the normal genre of book I read, and I found it a little slow to start but I was riveted as the plot unfolded !
Janice
Jane Leggett
Aug 26, 2018
Cheryl Harrison
Oct 23, 2016

• Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • The London Train
  • A Stolen Life
  • It Started With Paris
  • The Apartment
  • I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman
  • Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1)
  • Widows (Dolly Rawlins, #1)
  • NO PLACE LIKE HOME: Coping With the Decline and Death of Toxic* Parents: *Wounding/Absent/Narcissistic/Traumatic
  • Low On Gas - High On Sky: Nick Mamer's 1929 Venture
  • Crush: A Tale of Two Vineyards
  • The Client
  • Love is the Law
  • End Times: More Great Adventures in Real America
  • The Baron and The Enchantress (The Enchantresses #3)
  • Surviving the “Business” of Healthcare - Knowledge is Power!: A Unique Perspective from a 4th Generation Family Practice Provider and Now Cancer Patient
  • Twelve Patients: Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital
  • True Crime Stories
My most recent work is an international thriller titled "Pernicious Pursuit - A Howard Knight Escapade." Readers will know I introduced Howard Knight in "Three Weeks Less a Day" and expanded his role in both "The Multima Scheme" and "Unrelenting Peril" -- the trilogy about goings on at fictional Multima Corporation.

"Pernicious Pursuit" launches Howard and three other characters from the trilogy o