Start by marking “Beyond a Darkened Shore” as Want to Read:
Beyond a Darkened Shore

Beyond a Darkened Shore

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,483 Ratings  ·  426 Reviews
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war. Ciara, Princess of Mide, has never known a time when Éirinn’s kingdoms were not battling for power, or Northmen were not plundering their shores.

The people of Mide have thankfully always been safe because of Ciara’s unearthly ability to control her enemies’ minds and actions. But lately, a mysterious crow has been appearing to C
Published April 10th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Beyond a Darkened Shore, please sign up.
Jessica This is a standalone, but if readers love the characters as much as I do, then there's always a possibility for them to make appearances in future…moreThis is a standalone, but if readers love the characters as much as I do, then there's always a possibility for them to make appearances in future books. (less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I just got my April Fairyloot today. They sent an email saying it was going to be late. Anyway, if you want to see the stuff, click on the link under the picture. ♥

THE GOODS

I loved the book just like I hoped I would!!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Katerina
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a lovely surprise!

I hadn’t heard of Beyond a Darkened Shore until it was featured in Fairyloot’s April box themed “Whimsical Journeys”, and it couldn’t be more suitable because it was a whimsical, all-encompassing journey indeed! With an intricate blend of Norse and Celtic mythology, a rejected heroine with mystical powers and a Valkyrie endorsed hero on a quest to defeat flesh-eating monsters, Jessica Leake crafted a tale of war and love that deserves more attention.
“In all the world, th
Cait • A Page with a View
Release date: April 10, 2018

Ok, let me get some serious fangirling out of the way first because this book had every element I love and was easily one of my most anticipated releases of 2018. I mean, there's a warrior princess in magical ancient Ireland, tons of Irish mythology, Norse mythology, vikings, fae, and then the Morrigan comes in. COULD THE SETUP BE ANY MORE PERFECT?! And crows are my favorite animal, so even the cover was perfect.

The general story followed a ton of other similar books
Maram
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
buddy read with amr*am 🌚

////

you know it's going to be a good book when there's a freakin crow on the cover 🌚
Anissa (FairyLoot)
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-release
Wow. I am at a loss for words. I loved this book SO much! The story captured me right from the start and I was rooting for Ciara and Leif so hard. On top of the fantastic characters and story, I loved all of the Celtic and Norse mythology. Everything was just perfect and I never wanted it to end! Love!!!
Nasom
Jul 23, 2018 marked it as dnf
DNF @57%

Okay, I think it is time to part ways with this book. It's just not holding my interest and the dialogues are subpar
may ❀
this was good, more than good, it was great for these reasons

- fantaSY STANDALONE
- enemy to lovers trope, you cannot convince me a greater trope existed
- norse mythology (even tho i know next to nothing about it) was really fun and gave it a unique spin on the plot
- sisters who love each other 😭😭😭
- brothers who love each other 🤧🤧🤧
- interesting plot, fast paced, and action packed
- wasnt scared to get gruesome but not TOO gruesome
- that cover
- butt kicking warrior princess who literally makes arm
Lena
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved every single aspect of this book!!! The romance was ON. POINT. ladies and gentlemen. I’ve also been really into the “Enemies to lovers” trope lately (don’t judge me I’m just a poor little fangirl and my heart simply cannot take it) so this was a delicious, suspenseful and just all around adorable read for me. Looking for something to make you happy? Read this book! Looking for two dumb idiots that are too proud to admit they deeply care for each other? Read this book! Looking for a stron ...more
nat. (semi-hiatus)
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW!

this turned out to be far better than expected!

❝The laws are clear: there are only two strong enough to defeat them. One born for it, the other through great sacrifice.❞

everything I loved:

• vikings
• Ireland!!!
• norse/celtic mythology
• a badass MC
• a romance to die for *swoon*
• Leif Olafsson (my man and dream husband)
• THIS ENTIRE BOOK!
• and the action scenes were 👍🏼

it was brutal, dark and violent, and all of it was beautiful. and that ending ... was just ... *grabs Kleenex* more than I
Sabrina
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2017
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

tw: mention and attempt of rape in the book, this happened around 37%/38% of the novel, chapter 11.

There are so many unique things about Beyond a Darkened Shore, the setting, the characters, the plot and more. I was ensnared from beginning to end. I haven't read a book with Vikings and Norse Mythology so this book was a treat. I really enjoyed the battle scenes, the imagery and description was so good.

A warrior princes
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Beyond a Darkened Shore is a young adult fantasy written by Jessica Leake. It will be published on 4/10/18 by HarperTeen, an imprint of HarperCollins, 432 pages. The genres are young adult, fiction, fantasy, mythology, and historical. This book is intended for readers ages 14 and up, grades 9 and up. This book is the author’s debut and a standalone fantasy.

My Experience: I started reading Beyond a Darkened Shore on 11/16/17 and finished it on 12/8/17. (It didn’t really take me this long
Kassidy
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5*

I loved the richness of the Norse and Celtic mythology set in Irish history, but the pacing of the story dragged for me.
Alexandra Harris
Soooo I kinda got this book 3 time this month in boxes and crates, and I was nervous after seeing a 3.7 rating, but I actually loved this book, and I honestly can’t tell you why.
It had a few flaws that would usually take some star power and deductions, but y’all! I actually really enjoyed this story.
And felt very satisfied with the ending.
A more thorough review to come :)
enqi ✨ (belongs to rhysand, jin & peter kavinsky)
things i need:

- sleep
- more sleep
- t h i s b o o k
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
MINI REVIEW

I got this book in my April Fairyloot box.

I was surprise to find this book but also happy and intrigued as it hasen't been hyped. I would dive in blind!

I read it in three days due to work, chores, etc. and if I liked reading about Leif and Ciara's story I can't say that I was fascinated to the point it would have been painful to put it down.

WHY?

No clue as this book at first glance has all the ingredients to be a bestseller.
-Norse Mythology? Yes (Ana I am thinking of you here!);
-Femal
Beatrice in Bookland
"Who knew you Northmen were so delicate?”
“We’re as fragile as petals."

There's nothing wrong with this book it's just... so plain.
For me, in order to enjoy a book (and get at least a four stars rating), it needs well written characters, an interesting plot, a shippable couple and good writing style. Beyond a darkened shore checks only one of those requirements, the good writing style.

Ciara and Leif are the two protagonists, they are enemies and they discover that they've played in the hands of th
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“The laws are clear: there are only two strong enough to defeat them. One born for it, the other through great sacrifice.”

I will always pick up a mythology book. It’s one of my book buzz words that almost guarantees I will be interested in reading a book. I’m happy to say that Beyond a Darkened Shore did not disappoint me.Beyond a Darkened Shore follows Ciara and Leif, two people with special powers, who might be the only ones capable of stopping a looming destruction. Yes this synopsis sou
✨ Kaira ✨
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Plot - 5
Writing style - 4.5
Characters - 4.5
Romance - 5

In which a powerful Christian princess fought alongside with a clingy Norse warrior to stop the giants from conquering the world.

Plot - I would be lying if I'll say the plot was very original because the conflict somehow resembles Magnus CHase (obviously) , despite that, Beyond the DArkened SHore managed to surpassed my high expectations.

Though I have to say, I would prefer if this is a trilogy or something. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed th
Adrienne Young
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweep-you-away fantasy filled with mythology, romance, mystery and magic. I really loved this one and I think YA readers will too! So happy I got to read an early copy.
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Feb 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
💫 A warrior princess has to team up with the enemy to safe the world?
💫 And she has the ability to control minds? And actions? BLOODY BADASS.
Stacee
2.5 stars?

I was all over that synopsis and the bird on the cover and sadly it took a lot for me to get through this one.

I really liked Ciara and Leif. She stands up for herself and he’s cocky and together they’re fantastic. I loved the scenes of them bantering or kissing or pushing each other’s buttons.

Plot wise it was booooooooring and yet not. When there are awesome things happening, they’re mostly awesome. It’s the parts in between where I struggled to keep going. Eventually things got repe
Kristen
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was really fun! The start was a tad slow in places but after 40% it got epic! The middle portion of the book had me absolutely hooked!
Brenda Waworga
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I like this book but not love it

so lets start with things i like: The main character Chiara is so powerful but i love her attitude, The Hate to Love romance (my fav trope) and the easy to read writing style! Things i didnt like: The freaking plots! some were boring and drag, esp there were so many creatures and names and myths from Norse and Celtic mythologies, i think it will be so much more fun to be less with better exploration about the myths rather than trying to combine so many things all
Callie (BeverageandBook)
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
RTC
Justine
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Very much a 3 star read for me. It was fine, but not great, and ultimately I won't remember it.

I really love the premise, and the historical Irish setting is one I enjoy, but the problem I had is that, for me, this book just didn't deliver like I wanted it to. I can't help but compare it to Juliet Marillier's books, and unfortunately it just doesn't hold up well next to those. Marillier's books are beautifully written stories that are both complex and subtle, and feature multi-layered characters
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes! Yes!

No cliff hanger, but please let there be another book!! I need more of Leif & Ciara!!!!
K.A.
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. And oh, was it a beautiful and kick-ass book. Filled with Celtic and Norse mythology, Viking battles, wars with gods and monsters--both human and non--pacing that built and built perfectly, and a slow-burn love story between enemies (the icing on a dark and riveting cake), I loved BEYOND A DARKENED SHORE.

After the first quarter mark, I seriously could not put this book down. Highly recommended for anyone who loves
Sara (sarabara081)
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2018
You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

4.5 stars!

Beyond a Darkened Shore is a novel that had so much more to love than I expected!

The world is very reminiscent of ancient Ireland and immersed with Celtic and Norse mythology. Ciara is a warrior princess with unique powers she uses in battle to help protect her people yet powers that isolate her from those very people as they believe her cursed. Nothing is more important to her than her family – her sisters – and when a threat arises
Christine Spoors
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
My urge to only read viking related books is continuing, and I am so glad I keep finding such great books to satisfy this craving. Though I was initially unsure about Beyond A Darkened Shore I soon grew to really enjoy it and was swept up in the quickly moving plot.

The way this story combines both Celtic folklore and Norse mythology in a time when the Vikings were raiding Ireland (the 11th century) was just brilliant. I loved that we encountered creatures and goddesses from Celtic folklore as we
Jess (◕‿◕✿)
Rating is a 4.5. Could have been a five star, but I had a few problems when it came to pacing and awkward sentences. I'll explain more in my review, but overall? I actually really enjoyed this one.

UPDATE Okay... I finally have written a review for this several months later. Click the link down below to view my thoughts!

Once upon a time, Jessica Leake was a psychotherapist, but even though she loved her clients, she couldn't stop writing. She wrote and wrote until she got her first book published, and then she wrote some more. In between all that writing she had four beautiful and hilarious children with her husband (best friend and man she's known since high school; also hilarious), moved back to her adopted hom ...more

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Final Winter (Damienverse, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Girl on a Wire (Cirque American #1)
  • One Rainy Night
    $4.49 $0.99
“We had challenged the gods and won.” 3 likes
“There is greatness in you, Ciara of Mide, beyond even what you have accomplished so far. It matters little where your power comes from” 2 likes