Start by marking “Calvary Chapel Distinctives” as Want to Read:
Calvary Chapel Distinctives

Calvary Chapel Distinctives

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
What makes Calvary Chapel distinctive?

Pastor Chuck Smith explains a unique and strong emphasis on teaching the Word of God, as well as the gifts and ministry of the Holy Spirit.

In this book Pastor Chuck teaches the call to the ministry, church government, the rapture of the church and the priority of studying the Word of God.
Published December 31st 2001 by Word for Today (first published June 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Calvary Chapel Distinctives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calvary Chapel Distinctives

Joshua Mitchell
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even if you aren't in a Calvary Chapel church, this book really calls attention to some very common sense ideas which I believed simplify the church. Big issues are tackled such as "once-saved-always-saved" theology, man's responsibility vs. God's sovereignty, the working of the Holy Spirit in the modern church, the formation of church government, church finances, and operating by faith. I definitely recommend reading it. It was my 3rd read and it was great to go back through it again.
James Criswell
I finally got around to reading this. I liked it, and it reminded me why I am a Calvary Chapel guy. It isn't the only valid way to "do church," but I really think Chuck Smith's vision for church life is both true to the Word of God, and flexible enough for the Holy Spirit to move in unique ways even among different Calvary Chapels.
Kyle LaPorte
Feb 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Wait. I thought Calvary didn't like divisions? Why be distinctive? This is the Calvary Chapel confession of faith.
Josue Manriquez
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
I am confident that Pastor Chuck Smith is a man of faith. He has done a lot to be a witness of Jesus Christ. Smith has a lot of great things to say in this book. Many of which I did not comment on in this review. Yet this book is also full of inconsistencies and misunderstandings. I comment on some of them, but my comments are by no means thorough. This is not a “professional” review, and so I have chosen oftentimes to be very brief in my critiques. Unless you are in some way involved in the Cal ...more
Grampy
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Calvary Chapel Distinctives" by Pastor Chuck Smith is an amazingly frank discussion of what makes the Calvary Chapel "denomination" different from others. I was given a copy of this book by the Pastor of the Calvary Chapel I recently started attending, and as I read through it I found myself frequently pumping my fist and shouting "YES", that's how it should be!

I am not trying to proselytize here, but I have heard folks refer to Calvary Chapel as a cult, and nothing could be further from the tr
Wavey Cowpar
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good, and very simple (maybe too simple for some) about what makes Calvary different.

I like this and agree with most of it.

Chuck was pretty anti-standing in church and would remove people from meetings to warn them about how standing is bad... The principle behind it, drawing attention from Christ to yourself, makes a lot of sense.

Also, he spends a little too much time on the Rapture, but that makes sense cos he did predict it would happen in 1984 [before I was born haha].

Those are the only
Robert Rubio
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Another 'non-denominational' denomination's book on why they are more 'biblical' than your denomination. Poor arguments for a so-called 'Moses Model' of church government and how it is more biblical than your church's from of government. The largest chapter in this denominational propaganda is focused on the denomination's probably most cherished and defended pet doctrine known as the "Pre Trib Rapture"...and of course poorly argued at that. :(
Kim♥
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim♥ by: PD, L.I.T.
I will always be thankful for this book because the Lord used it to teach me about the Holy Spirit. :)
Gay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
Honest and excellent description of the evangelical movement.
Anita Schweppe
  • On Being a Servant of God
  • Lost Boy: My Story
  • Charting the End Times: A Visual Guide to Understanding Bible Prophecy
  • The Battle for the Beginning
  • Intimacy Ignited: Conversations Couple to Couple: Fire Up Your Sex Life with the Song of Solomon
  • How to Pray
  • Never Surrender: A Soldier's Journey to the Crossroads of Faith and Freedom
  • Masters and Commanders: The Military Geniuses Who Led the West to Victory in World War II
  • Halley's Bible Handbook: An Abbreviated Bible Commentary
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications
  • The Coming Prince
  • Every Prophecy of the Bible
  • The New High Intensity Training: The Best Muscle-Building System You've Never Tried
  • Hidden Treasures: In the Biblical Text
  • The Inflammation-Free Diet Plan: The Scientific Way to Lose Weight, Banish Pain, Prevent Disease, and Slow Aging