Start by marking “Sitting Bull” as Want to Read:
Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull

"Yenne's book excels as a study of leadership."—The New Yorker

"Combining sound historiography and singular eloquence, versatile American historian Yenne provides a biography of the great Lakota leader in which care is taken to describe sources (a great deal of them are in oral tradition) and to achieve balance with compassion. A warrior as a young man, Sitting Bull was lat
Published April 28th 2008 by Westholme Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sitting Bull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sitting Bull

james
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because it will stay with me for a long time. It portrays the life of a most charismatic Lakota Chief, Sitting Bull (SB). It also chronicles the demise of the Indians who lived on the Northern Plains. SB wanted his tribe to be left alone to roam about and hunt bison as they had done for hundreds of years. After delivering a crushing blow to General Custer and the American Psyche at the Battle of Little Big Horn, the many tribes that had gathered, broke up. SB wound up fl ...more
Kem White
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is a mixed bag. Clearly, Yenne likes his subject and has done extensive research into Sitting Bull's life. That much is clear from the text. The specifics and details all seem correct. Yenne provides some amount of historical analysis about many aspects of Sitting Bull's life. So if you just want a concise, easy-to-read introduction to an American icon, this could be the book for you.

However, Yenne's style is very folksy in tone. He also brings in references to present-day popular cult
Neel Daswani
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Febuary 6 2015

This book talks about Native Americans and how they used bulls. This type animal was really important for the Native Americans." The Native Americans did a lot of war with bulls". ( Elizabeth 10).HunkPapa was one of the first people to ever kill a bull with a bow and arrow. Bow and arrows were really hard to use. Native Americans usally mastered it when they became 15 years old. They ued to go on a gang or grouped to capture bulls.

Another awesome thing about Native Americans were t
Andy
Jan 30, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is an interesting and thoroughly-researched account of Sitting Bull's life and legacy. In Sitting Bull's lifetime, the Lakota's was still primarily an oral tradition, and further confounding for modern-day researchers, the Lakota regularly changed and transfered names to other members of the tribe. For example, Sitting Bull was born Jumping Badger (nicknamed "Slow") only later to acquire the name Sitting Bull from his father, who then became Jumping Bull. And the record becomes conside ...more
John
Dec 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Brisk, highly readable bio of the Lakota leader. The final chapters - a summary of newspaper reactions to Sitting Bulls' murder, an account of his surviving children and extended family from various census records, and discussion of his burial and reburial - are a bit dry. The latter two topics are not unimportant and may represent some original scholarship, but they do little to maintain the dramatic tale and urgency of his life.
George
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
this was an excellent read, got close to 5 stars. tells the story of sitting bull thoroughly and compassionately, focuses on the man for the most part not the overall history around him (this is what i was looking for, but if you want something more general look towards bury my heart, etc.) works as a nice companion to crazy horse strange man of the oglalas.
Rani
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sitting Bull, the great Lakota Warrior believed that his people were meant to be free and hunt, live and die in the Great Plains. "I have seen nothing that a white man has, houses or railways or clothing or food, that is as good as the right to move in the open country, and live in our own fashion." Sitting Bull.
Has select timeline, pictures from archives,
Shirvan
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
The first half of this book reads more like a general history of Lakota/White relations rather than a true biography of Sitting Bull. The author does some good research on the latter half of Sitting Bull's life, with a good account of what actually happened the morning he was murdered.
J.
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book about Sitting Bull. I like the way the writer interweaves history and culture and incorporates the views of tribes today with those of Sitting Bull. He goes to the Standing Rock reservation and walks the ground.

Well written and well documented.
Heather G
Not good

I love history and biography books and I really had to force myself to finish this. The author went off on tangents a lot and the end was more of an extended epilogue/anthropological survey.
Curtis Seven
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sitting Bull's image was warped a bit due to the fact that he toured with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show but hey even the chief has to make a living somehow. I have some idea of his biography but I hope that this book will flesh it out a bit.
Molly
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm still reading this. A lot of historical accounts to process. As if I needed another reason to feel angry about that whole Westward expansion thing... Sitting Bull was quite the character. Very interesting read.
Brent Gray
He was very cool
Doris Raines
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doris-shelf
Indians. And. Fire. Water. I. Love. This. Book. It. Is. Going. Upon. My. Shelf.
Luke
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Biography. What a life, what a story. Highly recommended. Incredibly well researched.
Chase
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Could barely finish this book. The author is a joke and should take ADD medicine before writing a piece of literature.
Mark Sikkenga
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sitting Bull would have to be on my top 10 list of Americans to be able to talk to. What a fascinating man.
Karley

• Once They Moved Like The Wind: Cochise, Geronimo, And The Apache Wars
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
  • Driven West: Andrew Jackson and the Trail of Tears to the Civil War
  • The Killing of Crazy Horse
  • Chief Joseph  the Flight of the Nez Perce: The Untold Story of an American Tragedy
  • Shadows at Dawn: A Borderlands Massacre and the Violence of History
  • Frederick's Journey: The Life of Frederick Douglass (A Big Words Book)
  • A Sorrow in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh
  • Lafayette and the American Revolution
  • Ethan Allen: His Life and Times
  • Brave Jane Austen: Reader, Writer, Author, Rebel
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • Mr. Jefferson's Hammer: William Henry Harrison and the Origins of American Indian Policy
  • The Forgotten Presidents: Their Untold Constitutional Legacy
Bill Yenne is the author of several novels and over three dozen books on historical topics. He has also been a contributor to encyclopedias of both world wars.

The New Yorker wrote of Sitting Bull, his biography of the great Lakota leader, that it "excels as a study in leadership." This book was named to the number 14 spot among Amazon's 100 Best Books of the Year.

Library Journal observed that "e

“I read that they have buried his body like a dog's - without funeral rites, without tribal wail, with no solemn song or act. That is the deed of to-day. That is the best that this generation has to give to this noble historic character, this man who in his person ends the line of aboriginal sanctities older that the religion of Christian or Jew. Very well. So let it stand for the present. But there is a generation coming that shall reverse this judgement of ours. Our children shall build monuments to those whom we stoned, and the great aboriginals whom we killed will be counted by the future American as among the historic characters of the continent.” 1 likes
“One of their number directed attention to the top of a bluff, and there stood a figure in white perfectly motionless. Suddenly, one of them cried out in Sioux, 'It's Sitting Bull.' The phantom suddenly commenced waving an arm, as if motioning them to follow, and with the speed of a bird glided from hilltop to hilltop, finally disappearing in the direction of the Bad Lands." The New York Times observed that "only one interpretation could be given this ghostly visitation. Sitting Bull is thus identified as the....long danced-for Messiah.” 0 likes