Start by marking “You're the Most Beautiful Thing That Happened” as Want to Read:
You're the Most Beautiful Thing That Happened

You're the Most Beautiful Thing That Happened

Poetry. LGBTQIA Studies. California Interest. African & African American Studies. Women's Studies. Lambda Literary Award Finalist for Lesbian Poetry. Angular, smart, and fearless, Arisa White's newest collection takes its titles from words used internationally as hate speech against gays and lesbians, reworking, re-envisioning, and re- embodying language as a conduit f ...more
Published June 8th 2016 by Augury Books

To ask other readers questions about You're the Most Beautiful Thing That Happened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're the Most Beautiful Thing That Happened

Michelle Miller (True Book Addict)
Fearless and powerful. That's the only way to describe this. An important volume of poetry, especially in light of what continues to happen hear in the U.S., and worldwide, in regards to the LGBTQ community. I commend Arisa White on her bravery and poignancy.

Of course, I am drawn to poems centering on family and injustice. My first favorite was "Auntie." The story of a family member whose "sexuality" is secreted away and always glossed over or embellished.

Auntie
Mia
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book really struck me with its beauty and its fearlessness. White captures love, sensuality, identity, grief, fear, and gratitude in this powerful collection of poems. I was moved by her imagery, by her appreciation of the female form, by her word choice, by her rhythm.

2 particular passages from the collection stood out to me:

From "Warm Water":
I am at your doorstep. Each tear opens us up to our promise—
bring the wake of your hand to my cheek. What I need today is
yo
Allison
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
These poems made me work for it - it was so worth it.
Melissa
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, lgbtq
Language is at the heart of poetry, with each word carefully considered for its meaning, cadence and place. In You’re the Most Beautiful Thing That Happened, the third poetry collection from Arisa White, language is elevated and emphasized in an innovative way.

As per the publisher’s description, “Arisa White’s newest collection takes its titles from words used internationally as hate speech against gays and lesbians, reworking, re-envisioning, and re-embodying language as a conduit f
Marthese Formosa
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, lesbrary
You're the Most Beautiful Thing That Happened is a poetry collection by Arisa White. The collection was inspired after White looked up how different cultures and languages call being gay. She took those terms (translated) and spun them in a different way in her poetry. For more about this, see the notes at the end of the book.

White is from Brookyln, and there was some Brooklyn culture in this collection. There was also mentions of pop culture and brands - in fact I had to look most t
Emma Ramos
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You’re the Most Beautiful Thing That Happened by Arisa White is a poetry collection I wish existed when I was a teenager. If asked to describe the collection in a nutshell, I’d describe it as a combination of Tony Kushner’s Angels in America, Ani DiFranco’s “Not a Pretty Girl,” and Adrienne Rich’s A Wild Patience Has Taken Me This Far.

White begins her collection with a meditation on language.

There are little words
that can fit in little places
if you say them sm
willowdog
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
Intelligent and interesting poetry that takes on family, racism, and sex. Very refreshing to read poetry of lesbian writer that actually treats sex as something desired and thought about often.
Marina
Oct 09, 2018
Tater Wormsbecker
Jun 22, 2018
Griselda
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2017