Start by marking “Home in the Rain” as Want to Read:
Home in the Rain

Home in the Rain

Waiting out a storm by the highway inspires a name for an unborn baby sister in a tender, exquisitely observed tale from the incomparable Bob Graham.

The rain is pouring down in buckets, and Francie and her mom are on their way home from Grandma's. As the little red car pulls into a picnic area to wait out the storm, the windows fog up, and Francie spells out Dad, Mom, an
Published June 13th 2017 by Candlewick Press (first published October 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Home in the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home in the Rain

Whispering Stories
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Xander on www.whisperingstories.com

Home in the Rain is about a little girl and her pregnant mum travelling back home from their grandma’s house in the family car as it is absolutely pouring down with rain.

Grandma lived far away so they had to stop for something to eat on their way home. As they were eating the car windows begin to steam up, the little girl started writing their names on the windows and wanted to know what her little sister would be called but they couldn’t think
Beverly
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely little road trip story by an Australian author/illustrator. Those of us in the US will notice that the placement of the car's steering wheel and the traffic directions differ from ours. Also, the gas pump is in liters.
Kylie Purdie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads, cbc-2017
This has been shortlisted for the Australian Children's Book Council Picture Book of the Year.

Bob Graham at his best. Graham has this wonderful way of taking an ordinary, every day event and making it magical. Mum and Francine have a long trip home in the torrential rain. Along the way they pass several people getting wet and share a picnic in the car while they contemplate what to name the new baby sister who is due very soon.

Graham interweaves the physical journey of the drive with the philoso
Michael Fitzgerald
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This seemed to be making a big deal out of nothing.
Margie
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been raining off and on for days over the past two weeks but yesterday and today it's been raining for almost twenty hours. Our thirsty ground is sighing with pure happiness. Vibrant green lawns now carpet the neighborhood. The soothing, steady sound of the rain on the roof and windows is a reminder of the power of weather.

For those traveling under the gray skies, rain and evening fog, caution is taken on the highways, roads and streets. Home in the Rain (Candlewick Press, June 13, 2017) wr
Strawberry
This is an interesting book with some lovely illustrations but a story that’s a bit lost on me. ‘Home in the Rain’ is a paperback book that’s wider and a bit bigger than A4 in size and is filled with thick and glossy pages of colourful pictures and some text. The story is a simple one about Francie and her mother driving home from Grandma’s in the rain, where Francie wants to find out what her baby sister will be called.

The first image after the front cover show Francie and her mother saying go
Tasha
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Francie and her mother are headed home from Grandma’s house. It rains and rains. It rains enough that a big truck washes their car into a picnic area. Nearby, the rain hits rabbits, mice and a hawk. It rains on fishermen and ducks. Francie and her mother wait in the car, the windows steaming up. Francie writes their names on the windows. She asks her mother what her new baby sister’s name will be when she arrives, but her mother doesn’t know yet. They eat a picnic in the car together and then th ...more
Abigail
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Appealing 'New Sibling' Stories / Bob Graham Fans
Driving home from Grandma's in the rain, young Francie thinks about her as-yet-unborn baby sister, and wonders what her name will be. She writes her own name, and that of her parents, on the foggy insides of the car windows - but what should she write for the baby? Stopping to let the rain subside, she and her mother enjoy a brief meal. Later, while stopping for gas, inspiration strikes, and a name is chosen...

Australian author/artist Bob Graham seems to specialize in a certain kind of understat
Heather
In this quiet picture book, the details of an ordinary rainy day take on profound meaning for one family. Francie, her mother, and her baby sister (who has yet to be born) are traveling home through the rain after a visit to grandma’s. As they move down a wet highway with road signs showing the way to “Francie’s House” and “Peacehaven,” the rain relentlessly soaks everything in its path, from a rabbit diving for cover on the hill above the highway to a young fisherman with fingers “smelling of b ...more
Lauren McLaughlin
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Home in the Rain is about a mom and her daughter Francie driving home from their grandma’s house in the rain. The mom and daughter observe different animals and people and how they are hiding from the rain. They also have a conversation about the dad who is off somewhere (they never say where) and about the baby girl the mom is pregnant with. At the end of the car ride the mom comes up with the name Grace for the baby girl which she comes up with after saying they got through the storm “by grace ...more
Amy Layton
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Bob Graham is a master of writing and illustrating wholesome, kind, and uplifting stories.  Caught in the midst of a storm, Francie and her mother wonder what Francie's unborn baby sister's name might be.  With his usual cartoon style, we are allowed to also follow the stories of roadside animals trying to seek cover--just as Francie and her mom are, which makes for even more complexity and narrative-building.  But overall, truly, this is just a sweet story that follows a daughter and her mom th ...more
Jennie
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Trademark Bob Graham with this telling tale of family - as young Francie travels home from Grandma's with a very pregnant mum in a torrential rain storm. The descriptive language of the storm makes you feel quite soggy - very evocative! and wet! The many asides sharing cameos of others dealing with the rain add further dimensions to the story.
This would be a wonderful book to share with siblings when a new baby is coming into the family, to cuddle up with on a rainy day, in a study on the weath
Jana
This sweet picture book takes readers on a rainy trip home from grandma's house. Mom and Francine are all buckled up in their seats, driving in a heavy rainstorm, and forced to pull off the road to wait for the rain to lighten up. Readers get to be part of a sweet conversation about what Frankie's soon-to-be-born baby sister will be named. This would be a terrific book to share with young readers who are waiting for a baby brother or sister to be born. The author lives in Australia, so it's inte ...more
Sheri
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is about a child and her mother on the ride home from Grandma's in the rain. The trip is long and you notice the driver sits on a different side of the car. The baby sister and Francie's writing on the window are an interesting part of the story. I suggest reading it over a few times to a child. A story with heart and soothing ending after the long drive and the arrival at home. I would read this to a child and talk about what he/she noticed. Seems like more than one reading would brin ...more
Brett
A warm, sweet hug of a book describing the special moment (in this case, in the car, stopped by the roadside in a heavy rain on the drive home from visiting grandma) when the name of a new family member (here, a sister for Francie, to arrive before much longer) clicks. There is much love between Francie & her mom, as well as Grandma, Daddy (mentioned but not an active participant in the story), & the future baby sister. I found the image of Francie giving her mom a big hug, with the baby ...more
Rhianna
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: never-grow-up
Seriously this is an adorable little story. I'm a huge fan of "moments in time" and this story is just that. A little girl and her mother are driving back from grandma's house in the rain and while stopped in traffic we see several different scenes of what else is happening around them. The story is very nostalgic for these little moments we share with our families that cause those random snippets of memories.
Darinda
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Francie and her mother are driving home after visiting Grandma's house. It is pouring down rain, and Francie is writing her family's names on the inside of the foggy windows. She writes Francie, Mom, and Daddy. Her mother is pregnant, and Francie wants to write her baby sister's name on the windows too, but they haven't decided on a name yet.

A sweet story about a mother and daughter's drive home. Lovely artwork.
A Allen
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
In one word, I would describe this book as: UNEVENTFUL. Fortunately, books don't have to be eventful in order to be good; I really enjoyed the tiny details in the illustrations. There isn't much story here; Frankie and her pregnant mom are heading home from grandma's house. The narrator tells us about several other people caught in the rain and readers can look for those people in the illustrations. In the end Frankie's mom decides to name the new baby Grace. They arrive home safely.
mary dewley
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
"They shared two stale toffees found under old parking tickets in the door." Why would you eat stale candy after just eating a picnic lunch grandma made? The mom in this book has some poor parenting skills. How do they know who everyone is on the highway? Why don't they give poor Marcus a ride? Why when your pumping gas in the rain, would you suddenly decide to name your unborn child Grace? Confusing book for adults and children alike. Not a fan of the illustrations either.
Rebecca Gomez
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure what most kids would think of this book. It’s very quiet, and not much happens. But it’s kind of nice, and calm, and it feels like what the book is about—a drive home in the rain, while ordinary life continues on. And, the way this book discusses the topic of the coming baby (Francie’s not-yet-born little sister being counted among those journeying home) is sweet and life-affirming.
Tricia Gleason
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. It flows like poetry in a story woven with culture and family. An ordinary, mundane event, being stuck in traffic in heavy rain, becomes beautiful in Bob Graham's story, as we learn so much about the characters with detailing in vocabulary that is so simple but touching and vivid. I think this would be a great story even without pictures because of the lovely imagery, but the illustrations enrich and make the storytelling more meaningful. Five stars from me.
Micha O'Connor
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Superstar Graham gifts us with another work of art in words. Francie, her mother and the baby yet to be named, are stuck in traffic during a rainstorm. Around them, rain soaks the earth, the fisherman, and the bunnies in the berries. An ordinary moment becomes magic as Francie’s mom says the name of the baby that will GRACE them soon. The best surprise comes on the final page as Daddy is waiting for them at home with a hug.
Margaret
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 00-in-class
In the story it's raining a lot as Francine's mom drives them home from grandma's house. Francine starts to write out her families name in the fog on the windows. She writes out mom, dad, and Francine. What will they call the baby that is about to arrive? They decided the name would be Grace! This is a cute story and would be great for students who love transportation books and any students who will be getting anew sibling soon.
Madeline Masluk
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Home in the rain was a very enjoyable book to read. Children who read this book will relate to it in many ways by knowing what it is like by getting stuck in the rain while driving with their families. I also related to this book by remembering the times when I got stuck in the rain driving with my family. I also want to read this book to my students some day and have them make suggestions relating to the story.
Lynn
Oversized pages show the bigness of the rainstorm.
There are a few details that bother me: a pregnant woman driving through the night? A little girl playing outside the car while Mom is putting gas in the car? How does gassing up your car make you think of the name 'Grace'? The inclusion of the kestrel seems a little forced.
Joshlyn
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book with some pretty illustrations but not my favorite story. The story is a simple one about Francie and her mother driving home from Grandma’s in the rain, where Francie wants to find out what her baby sister will be called. It has a turn for an ending, but would still be nice to have in the classroom.
Courtnie Sepe
This is a charming story with beautiful illustrations and bright colors. The journey home from grandmother's house came with an unexpected surprise. I like how the author shares is getting wet along with the family as they travel home. I also thought it was a special time with the mother and daughter and the unexpected moment when the mother thought of the perfect name for the baby.
Cindy Sarnowski
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A simple journey is complicated by the pouring rain. There is a sense of urgency as we see mother and daughter on a long journey, absent of fear. The mother provides a comfortable sense of security for her somewhat rambunctious daughter. This book captures a loving and trusting relationship between mother and daughter as they discuss names for the new baby soon to join them.
Kaitlyn Luzar
When a young girl and her mother are on their way home from grandma’s house, it begins pouring down rain! A big truck takes their car near a picnic side. This story is based on their adventure from leaving grandma's house and getting home safe. This was a sweet book and one that I would read to my future students. The author gave the readers a sense of comfort and provided great illustrations.
Janet
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
The illustrations of the rain falling on some animals as well as all the vehicles on the highway were great. From their it was downhill, what really was the storyline? Too many elements for me. The text definitely did not flow well. Basically the two rating is for part of the illustrations, otherwise I just did not like this title.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Brave
  • Sad, the Dog
  • Maple & Willow Apart
  • I Love My Mommy
  • Charlie & Mouse & Grumpy (Charlie & Mouse, #2)
  • Town Is by the Sea
  • I Love You to the Moon and Back
  • Pie is for Sharing
  • Madeline Finn and the Library Dog
  • Beastly Babies
  • All Are Welcome

An Australian children's author and illustrator. His books include Max, which won the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize Gold Award, Jethro Byrd, Fairy Child, which won the Kate Greenaway Medal, and "Let's Get A Pup!" Said Kate which won the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award