Start by marking “Bad to the Bone (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bad to the Bone (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, #3)

Bad to the Bone (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery #3)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Veterinary technician Carrie Kennersly, owner of the Barkery & Biscuits bakery for dogs, is reluctant to sell her recipes to pet food manufacturer VimPets. Jack Loroco, a VimPets representative, assures Carrie that it would be a great opportunity to grow her business. His promising new relationship with Carrie's friend, Billi Matlock, doesn't hurt his cause. But the bu ...more
Published May 8th 2017 by Midnight Ink

To ask other readers questions about Bad to the Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad to the Bone

Betty
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, cozy, dogs, e-books
A cozy mystery, the third in the Barkery and Biscuits series. I was disappointed in this book. All the action was off the pages. Most of the book was a repeat of telling Carrie not to investigate and to be careful, if she did. The were repeat descriptions of Carrie 'shops and activities as a Vet Tech. Little mention of the murder and really no clues as to how the killer was identified.
Jack Loroco is still trying to get a pet food recipe for VimPets. Jack introduces Carrie Kennersley to a co-work
Lisa Morin
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an entertaining story that is sure to delight cozy mystery fans.
The author brings pets and owners together in this cozy mystery series.
When Carrie, a local business owner, considers creating and selling dog treat recipes to a local pet food manufacturing company, she has no idea that jealousy and envy will lead to a murder.
With her friends in the hot seat, Carrie begins investigating on her own.
I was shocked at the ending, I was really stunned by the turn of events.
Be sure to add this bo
Bree
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Business and Pleasure are going to the dogs, and not in a good way. Carrie Kennersly is back in her bakery and cooking up a fine mystery for readers! Having become a fan of Linda’s in the past year, I was delighted to read this book.

Carrie is such a fun character and I love her passion for animals. In fact, if there was ever a book that certainly has the best intentions for the animals in it, this book does. Jack sounds like a shady character and trust me the alarms sounds off. I find the fact t
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
Bad to the Bone is a cozy mystery that is pet oriented and the third story in the Bakery & Biscuits Mystery series. This story is written in first person with Carrie Kennersly being the narrator. There is lots of puppy love throughout this story and I mean that literally. With each character in this story there is inevitably a doggy companion. This is a must read for dog lovers!

The main protagonist, Carrie, works as a part-time veterinary technician and is owner of a bakery that caters to an
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
After pondering this book for a few days, I've had to change my rating but don't worry, that doesn't mean that it's not an enjoyable read and it's still a cozy series I will continue to follow. In "Bad to the Bone," Carrie is still being courted by VimPet, an elite pet food manufacturer, to share some of her healthy recipes which will not only help her pay off her business loan sooner, but which will also provide added publicity for her newly opened "barkery." However, the deal is quickly put on ...more
Christine
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies
This is the third book in the barkery and biscuits series. Carrie Kennersly owns a bakery for both people and dogs. She is contemplating selling some of her pet food recipes to a company called VimPets. But when one of the representatives that she is meeting with is discovered dead behind her coworkers apartment building after the two had gotten into a huge fight the night before, the police zero in on him. Carrie goes back and forth on whether or not to investigate, since the main suspect is da ...more
Narelle Richards
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a solid mystery story that will have appeal to pet-lovers. Carrie Kennersly, the protagonist of this book, is no stranger to being involved in murders. She is a busy, busy girl - working part time as a Veterinary technician, running her own businesses - bakeries for people and pets and developing a romantic attachment to one very good looking vet. In the midst of all this she becomes involved in solving the murder of one highly unlikable Wanda Addler, employee of VimPets, a company looki ...more
Paula Ratcliffe

Carrie is working on deciding what recipes she will sell to VimPets and whether she will at all.  She gets invited to dinner by Jack the representative for VimPets so Carrie brings her boyfriend Reed, her brother Neal his girlfriend Janelle, and Jack's love interest Billi Matlock a local council member. Jack's plan for dinner was to introduce them to Wanda Addler who managed to introduce herself to everyone and upsetting Billi Matlock in the process.

As the days pass Wanda goes around upsetting
Kristina
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, cozy-mysteries
Bad to the Bone by Linda O. Johnston is the third book in A Barkery and Biscuits Mystery series. Carrie Kennersly is the owner of Barkery and Biscuits a bakery that caters to canine clientele in Knobcone Heights, California. She also owns Icing on the Cake in the adjoining space that has delectable delights for humans. Carrie creates her own recipes so she can offer healthy treats for dogs. Jack Loroco, a rep for VimPets (a pet food manufacturer), has been trying to get Carrie to sell one of two ...more
K.A. Davis
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a delight to be able to read an early copy of BAD TO THE BONE, by Linda O. Johnston! The protagonist, Carrie Kennersley, is not only a vet technician but also owns a charming bakery, Barkery & Biscuits…actually 2 bakeries on the same premises: one for humans and one for pets. You’ll be drooling over the delightful treats Carrie and her employees bake and it’s probably a good thing your furry friends can’t read because they’d be begging for some special treats as well!

Word has gotten
Kelly
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily reviewed this ARC**

This was an interesting book, but it dragged a little at times. The mystery itself was good, with an ending that seriously shocked me.
Jessica Robbins
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own-kindle
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Bev
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read, own-it
Carries is the owner of a bakery and another bakery that caters to animals. Barkery and Biscuits is doing a great business and it is all due to Carrie and her staff coming up with healthy food for dogs and cats. She even comes up with food to help with health issues. That draws the attention of a large company, VimPets. They have been trying to get her to sell them her recipes of pet treats. When Jack comes to town, he brings an assistant that is a bit too pushy and self centered as far as other ...more
Jeri
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
Up until now I have enjoyed all the previous books in the series but this one both dragged in the middle and the ending felt very rushed to me.

Carrie's business is going very well, along with her budding romance with the local vet. She is considering whether to sell a recipe or two to VimPets when a rising employee within that company is found dead. Her friend Billi and co-worker to the murder victim, Jack are both suspects. Though everyone in town it seems had a reason to kill. At least this t
Ann
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Linda O. Johnston writes great pet cozys and this is no exception. Part of the Barkery and Biscuits series we have a winner. Carrie is enjoying her relationship with Reed and running the two bakery's. PetVim is still trying to buy her recipes for mass production and when one of their sales reps is murdered she needs to solve the crime. Great mystery with plenty of suspects. Also some good doggie and people recipes.
Andrea Guy
Just looking at the title you have to know that this is a doggie cozy series. I'm a sucker for animal-centric series. This is book 3 in the series. I haven't read the first two, but that didn't cause me any problems. I will admit that reading this book made me want to go ahead and read the first books, because of the relationships that had developed already and the ones that formed and changed prior to the events in the book, especially the Jack and Carrie and then Jack and Billi thing.

I really
Brenda
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bad to the Bone is the third installment in the Barkery and Biscuits mystery series featuring Carrie Kennersly, owner of Icing on the Cake, a bakery for humans and the adjacent Barkery and Biscuits serving up organic pet treats in Knobcone Heights. Business is booming in both shops and Carrie is enjoying her new romance with Veterinarian Reed Storme.

Jack Loroco, the VimPets representative is actively trying to get Carrie to sell some of her organic pet recipes to his company. Jack has been spend
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B01M0SXJTR
Reviewed For NetGalley and Midnight Ink
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.25 Stars

Carrie Kennersly's sleuthing talents are put to the rest when her negotiations VimPets representative, Jack Loroco and rival representative Wanda Addler come to
Deana Dick
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading this series. Carrie is a great character and I live the two shops she owns. What a treat for customers to get goodies for themselves and go next door and grab some great healthy treats for their dogs. The author makes the shops sound so inviting and I would love to try one out for my little dogs.

Carrie has been approached by a big company to add her treats to their line of products. It would be a great boost for her company but she is just a bit hesitant to say yes . I li
Melissa Castor
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Part-time vet tech and owner of Icing on the Cake and the Barkery, Carrie Kennersley has been asked to sell some of her dog biscuit recipes. In trying to decide if she wants to do so, a woman named Wanda is being overly persistent in trying to get her to sell and undermining Jack, the man from VimPets that Carrie has been dealing with. When Wanda is found murdered, both Jack and Carrie's friend, Billi, whom Jack was dating, become the prime suspects. Carrie agrees to try to solve the case, much ...more
Elisha
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a great example as to why I have a newfound love for cozy mysteries. When a local business owner, Carrie, has the bright idea to bring dog treat recipes to a manufacturing business, she has no idea the storm that is coming her way; including a murder.

This was a really fun yet mysterious and a little romantic read that kept me wondering who was the mastermind behind the whole thing.. And the ending was quite the surprise too! The author did not disappoint in this book.

For my full r
Kathleen Gray
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a classic cozy-it features an intrepid female amateur detective with a fun day job and a not too twisty murder mystery of a person no one likes. I had not read the first two books in the series but that wasn't a problem for me as I felt Carrie was well developed and engaging enough to get me right into the story. It's well written, a quick read, and worth your time. Thanks to net galley for the ARC- I'm going to look for more from Johnston.
Vicki Gooding
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book directly from the author and what a delight. If you're a lover of canine, cozy mysteries you're sure to enjoy the flavor of this baker/ barkery and all the close knit friends. I laughed, got a bit tired of her friends cautioning her yet loving that the ending which was a surprise. So looking forward to reading the next in this great series.
Claudia
Sep 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book. Maybe it was because she kept referring to people as "dog mom". I love my dogs but I am not their mother. Also, felt it was impossible. Main character runs a human bakery, a dog treat bakery, works as a vet tech, solves murders in her spare time AND is carrying on a romance with one of the vets she works for.
Peggy
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this latest installment of Linda O Johnson's, Barkery and Icing series.
I love the relationship of the characters and their dogs.
My only quad,was that" The Joes" disappeared in the middle of the book.

I honestly had no clue who the murderer was,until it was revealed.
Janet Bailey
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bad to the Bone

Another good book in a series which I enjoy reading. The characters are well-defined. The story moves at a good pace. It holds my interest from beginning to end.
Susan Moxley
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read for animal lovers. Even has some recipes for healthy treats.
Sheila Cohen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Very good cozy mystery. Great for dog lovers.
Kristin Cochran Schadler
Really enjoyed this book. Great mystery, good ending. Really enjoy reading about Carrie and the gang!
Sherrie
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
It was ok. I still think the first book so far is the best in the series when they introduce the people or main characters.
« previous 1 3 next »
Linda O. Johnston's first published fiction appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and won the Robert L. Fish Memorial Award for Best First Mystery Short Story of the Year. Since then, Linda has had more short stories and novellas published, plus, by the end of 2018, she will have had fifty novels published, including mysteries and romance.

Linda currently writes the Barkery and Biscuits Myst

Barkery & Biscuits Mystery (4 books)
  • Bite the Biscuit (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, #1)
  • To Catch a Treat (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, #2)
  • Pick and Chews (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother