Start by marking “Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)

Soulsmith

(Cradle #2)

Outside Sacred Valley, ancient ruins rise from the earth, drawing sacred artists from miles around to fight for the treasures within.

Lindon has reached Copper, taking the first step on the road to power, but the warriors of the outside world are still far beyond him.

To advance, he turns to the arcane skills of the Soulsmiths, who craft weapons from the stuff of souls.
Published September 26th 2016 by Hidden Gnome Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Soulsmith, please sign up.
Bobby Barlette im eleven and i read the first one as a recomendation from my dad they are all amazing books but it a little hard to understand and starting from the …moreim eleven and i read the first one as a recomendation from my dad they are all amazing books but it a little hard to understand and starting from the second book would be horrible(less)

Start your review of Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
Petrik
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars

A great sequel that build upon the foundations laid in Unsouled.

Soulsmith is the second book in Cradle series by Will Wight. Continuing from where the previous book left off, Lindon has left the Sacred Valley in pursuit of advancement and accessibility to stronger powers. An ancient ruin has risen, and many sacred artists—Lindon included—gathers and they fight for the treasures inside. As I’ve mentioned in my review of Unsouled, it seems very likely that each sequel in this series wil
joel
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wight is like that friend who says they're going to be a famous rapper...

...except if instead of stringing together bad rhymes he wrote books. And instead of sucking he...didn't suck.

I'm not sure where this guy came from. I bought house of blades because Amazon told me to and it cost less than a McFlurry. That series fell before my late night reading technique like 12 year old Bieber fan getting run over by the tour bus. Cradle came next and his writing has clearly advanced. He seems to write a
Calista
3rd Read through

This is one of my favorite books of the series. I love the Transcendant Ruins. There is so much that expands the world here and so many interesting characters and scenes. I think Lindon finally making Iron is one of my favorite levels he reaches.

Lindon is willing to take a beating, well, so is Yerin. They show you how to be a sacred artist. You have to be willing to take a beating and yes, you have to live. I love reading this one. Knowing where Lindon gets to, you can see all t
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷 Support me

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

“That’s the nature of any acquired skill. It will feel like breathing through a wet rag for a while, and your body will tell you to stop. But one day, you’ll look back and wonder how it was ever difficult.”

Unsouled ★★★ 3/4
Soulsmith ★★★ 1/2

This is somewhat a not very popular opinion but I liked book 1 more than book 2 and there is a good reason for that. Looking at my ratings of both books, the difference
Terence
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebies
In the wilds Yerin and Lindon run into hordes of beasts and remnants. They follow where the beasts are heading to find ancient ruins that contain items of massive power. They also find an alliance of sacred artists who intend to mine it for resources. After what feels like a lifetime, Lindon has finally reached Copper. As Lindon tries to learn the skill of a Soulsmith, he finds himself the prey of a powerful group of Golds.

Soulsmith was a good time. Lindon advances only to realize that in compar
TS Chan
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A worthy sequel that expands on the worldbuilding and magic system, Soulsmith delivers on the promise of an engaging and fascinating story of epic powers inspired by Far Eastern martial arts.

Outside of the Sacred Valley in pursuit of advancement, Lindon came face-to-face with his destiny as he encountered powers beyond his imagination. The most powerful amongst the clans and Schools within the Valley are mere children compared to the dime a dozen Golds that can be found in the Desolate Wilds. A
Deborah Obida
Sep 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Buddy read with Snezana.

Soulsmith is the second book in the cradle series. I love the way the plot is progressing, it’s fast paced, action packed and awesome characters, what more is there to ask for. The world is great, it was well depicted. To top it all up the book is short. The magic system has more than three caste/ levels, so it begins with copper, iron, jade, gold(there are 3 gold levels) low gold, high gold and true gold.

“In his experience, practically anything became an adventure if
David S Meanderings)
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cradle
Reread x 3 complete!

“Sacred artists. Without risk, without battle, without a willingness to fight, you will stay weak. And weakness means death.”

I want to give a quick shoutout to the narrator, Travis Baldree. He continues to bring the world of Cradle to life in an engaging and immersive way and I will be continuing this series via audiobook in large part to his fantastic narration.

Soulsmith continues almost immediately where we left off last with Lindon and Yerin leaving the safety of
Zitong Ren
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
So, I’ve finished book 2 of the Cradle series, a fair while since I finished Cradle and overall, it was fine. I’ve heard that while the first few books are ok, the later books are fantastic and look, maybe it’ll be a while before I get around to every book in the series, I would think that I would continue on with the series eventually as I am interested in it. This book was good enough to read for sure, though I’m not super invested in anything just yet.

The world here is pretty interesting and
Michael
Jul 14, 2021 rated it liked it
My rating is 3.5-stars for this one.

There is definitely an oriental flavour to this series. I have read that this is intended as a Lit-Rpg which is light on the statistics. I don't really think of it that way but that's just me.

The author has some great ideas and all those fans of Mr Sanderson out there will likely love Will Wight's magic system.

So why the relatively low rating? It was better than the first book but I still didn't find myself rooting for Lindon. I am more of a Yerin fan, though
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Will Wight really starts to hit his stride with this sequel, expanding the magic, the world and the characters while building momentum with another fast-paced and exciting read.

Soulsmith takes a big, but necessary step; expanding the story outside the confines of Lindon’s home, Sacred Valley, where Jade is the greatest height. It allows Wight to fully lift the veil from the eyes of our main character and also from ours by showing us the extent of what is considered to be powerful. What Lindon on
Dexcell
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very good second book in the series. It was definitely slow throughout, but I enjoyed it and the new characters. It was nice to see Lindon improve at a nice rate, but he's still so far behind everyone else. I'm curious how he's ever going to match up against Jai Long by next book.

Reread: Still a really good book. I remember thinking that Eithan was gonna be a bad guy or something the first time around. How wrong I was.
L.L. MacRae
Sep 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just yes.

Straight onto book three.

Really enjoying this series, and the audiobook is absolutely wonderful!!
Olivia
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Soulsmith is the second book in the fantasy progression series, Cradle, by Will Wight.

The second book continues from where the first one left off and Lindon and Yerin leave the Sacred Valley in pursuit of stronger powers.

Cradle is fast-paced and fun, basically popcorn entertainment. All books in this addictive series are quick reads with lots of action, delivering exactly what they promise.

This instalment didn't blow me away, but I think this is one of those series where each sequel is better th
T.R. Preston
Dec 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really didn't connect with this one like I did the first. Eithan was an interesting new character to throw into the fold, but I wasn't left entranced by much else.

Reread update: I've gone through this book again. I liked it more the second time. My original review was 3 stars, but I'm deciding to kick it up to a 4. It's a fun ride.
Narilka
Jan 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fbr, ebook, read-in-2022
Soulsmith does exactly what I hoped it would: it builds on the foundation set in Unsoulded and kicks everything up a notch. There's a great big world outside of the Sacred Valley. In pursuit of advancement, Lindon and Yerin find themselves drawn to an ancient ruin rising from the jungle. Many sacred artists have gathered to fight for the treasures inside.

I am enjoying the growth of both our characters. Lindon's handicap of being unsouled has forced him to develop his mind and learn to be clever
Bradley
Jul 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I admit -- I love where this series is headed. It's flying off in wild new directions, giving us interesting new characters to help and hinder their quest to get stronger, and I'm frankly tickled by it all.

The previous setup in the first book was great and could have glided on just that, but the second book gives us a whole new worldbuilding in a new land, new magical rules, and a hardcore progression that made me laugh, consistently, even as I rooted for the level-ups.

This LitRPG is rapidly bec
Balu
Jun 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: will-wight
My review of Unsouled: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I have read that Cradle gets better with each book, and after reading Soulsmith I can totally believe that. Unsouled had phenomenal worldbuilding, very intelligent structure and was overall so refreshingly original, but also had some weaknesses, prose and pacing for instance.

Soulsmith was more polished, balanced and yeah, just better. Rating: 4.2 stars.
I can't wait to start reading Blackflame!
Andrew Rockwell
Jun 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars---
Maurice Africh
Jul 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
There's just something about this series that is wickedly entertaining and super fun to read. The writing and story quality definitely improved in this installment I also loved that we got away from Sacred Valley and started diving into the greater world.

Super stoked to read more!
Christine Sandquist
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looking for book summaries of all the books in the Cradle series? Look no further. My review is below, but you can find a summary of each of the Cradle books to date on my website, Black Forest Basilisks!

Book review:

“Don’t know why you’re crowing about it. Any day where I haven’t beaten a Remnant to death with its own limb is a holiday.”

After having read the first two books in Will Wight’s Cradle series, it felt unfair to review them separately. While the first book, Unsouled, was interesting an
seak
Jun 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, 2021
Hey, I have a youtube channel, check out the review for Soulsmith (and Unsouled) here. I would love if you would check it out, give me feedback, like and subscribe. This is an early video so please be kind! :D

Soulsmith is the second novel of the Cradle series that has been a blast to read. I'm almost done with book 3 and still loving every second.

This is a progression fantasy type book that uses an element of "leveling up" characters similar to video games (that I love so much).

Soulsmith takes w
Jason
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Soulsmith, Cradle #2 by Will Wight lives up to the incredible high standards that he set with his The Travelers Gate Trilogy. As a result of my love for his trilogy I had very high expectations for this book and series and let me tell you, I was not let down. This is simply epic fantasy at it's finest. Will Wight deserves to be mentioned in the same sentences as the genre giant Brandon Sanderson. Both of these men excel in their fantastical story telling, character creating, and depth to
Jim Robinson
Jul 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.75* A good sequel to book 1 Unsouled but not as strong overall.

This was a solid continuation of the story of Lindon as he continues to try and power up as fast as he can with the help of his kick ass sword wielding friend Yerin. However I did feel it was too narrow in its story only really focusing on the events in the Wilds and thus losing some of the coolness of book 1 where we had glimpses of the larger universe.

We did get introduced to 2 new cool POVs, Eithan and Jai Long whom I enjoyed re
Soo
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
10/2/2020 Notes:

The re-reads of Soulsmith were more enjoyable than the first time, but the transitions and certain events are still too forced to be a 4 star. On the other hand, lots of goodies for the series and plot direction.

10/7/2019 Notes:

Couple of important plot events & people are added in this book but the story flow was chunky & did not flow as well as the first book.
Kévin
Sep 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebooks, 2021
addictive!
Zack Argyle
Apr 01, 2022 rated it really liked it
I read Unsouled ~1 year ago. It was a good coming-of-age story with sparks of wildly exciting ideas, but I moved onto other books/series and didn't come back. Problem is that I kept hearing from SO MANY people about how good the later Cradle books are, and so I decided to give this one a try (helps that they're so short!)

Overall, I think I liked the first book better. While I loved the evolution of the magic system and the unique way it played on the central location, I also felt like there was
A.R
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reread: Enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I remembered it being one of the weaker books, but it really holds up!

Ok, this and the first book I both read in a bit over a day. I'm really enjoying this series, and from other reviews will only like it more and more as the series goes. This world is so well done, do unique. This is just an absolutely fun ride.
Erik McManus
Mar 29, 2022 rated it liked it
*3.5

This book definitely picked up faster than the 1st one for me and I enjoyed the exploration into our existing characters as well as the addition of some new, very intriguing characters. I am excited to see where the next book takes us!
KatieR
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Unsouled, the first in the series, but I liked this one even better. The first book is a good primer for introducing the world, but this one takes it all up a notch.

Lindon is a really good protagonist in that he's always trying to learn in every situation. He's clever and tricky, but also foolish, so there's no relaxing at all.

New characters are introduced and they're great additions. While the first group was super interesting, this one was both engaging and entertaining. I hav
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Soulsmith (Cradle #2) [February 1, 2022] 210 53 Mar 07, 2022 11:46AM

• Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant, #1)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant, #2)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant, #3)
  • Mother of Learning 1
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
  • Mother of Learning 2
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 6 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #6)
  • He Who Fights With Monsters 7 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #7)
  • Iron Prince (Warformed: Stormweaver, #1)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 2 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #2)
  • Defiance of the Fall 6 (Defiance of the Fall, #6)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 3 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #3)
  • The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant, #4)
  • Mother of Learning 3
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 5 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #5)
  • Defiance of the Fall 5 (Defiance of the Fall, #5)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters (He Who Fights with Monsters, #1)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 4 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #4)
See top shelves…

Cradle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Unsouled (Cradle, #1)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • Bloodline (Cradle, #9)
  • Reaper (Cradle, #10)
  • Dreadgod (Cradle, #11)

News & Interviews

“Fine then. I spit on the honor of the Sandvipers, that pathetic collection of cowards and cripples. You don't have a spine between you, you only use poison because it takes courage to face an enemy in battle, and I could improve on a Sandviper warrior by stapling a snake to a scarecrow's arm. Also your mothers were dogs and your fathers were blind, and so on. Fight me.” 8 likes
“In his experience, practically anything became an adventure if framed properly.” 8 likes