Start by marking “Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)

Soulsmith

(Cradle #2)

Outside Sacred Valley, ancient ruins rise from the earth, drawing sacred artists from miles around to fight for the treasures within.

Lindon has reached Copper, taking the first step on the road to power, but the warriors of the outside world are still far beyond him.

To advance, he turns to the arcane skills of the Soulsmiths, who craft weapons from the stuff of souls.
Published September 26th 2016 by Hidden Gnome Publishing

Start your review of Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
Petrik
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Progression fantasy & Shonen anime fans
Shelves: owned-ebooks
A great sequel that build upon the foundations laid in Unsouled.

Soulsmith is the second book in Cradle series by Will Wight. Continuing from where the previous book left off, Lindon has left the Sacred Valley in pursuit of advancement and accessibility to stronger powers. An ancient ruin has risen, and many sacred artistsLindon includedgathers and they fight for the treasures inside. As Ive mentioned in my review of Unsouled, it seems very likely that each sequel in this series will better than
joel
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wight is like that friend who says they're going to be a famous rapper...

...except if instead of stringing together bad rhymes he wrote books. And instead of sucking he...didn't suck.

I'm not sure where this guy came from. I bought house of blades because Amazon told me to and it cost less than a McFlurry. That series fell before my late night reading technique like 12 year old Bieber fan getting run over by the tour bus. Cradle came next and his writing has clearly advanced. He seems to write a
TS Chan
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A worthy sequel that expands on the worldbuilding and magic system, Soulsmith delivers on the promise of an engaging and fascinating story of epic powers inspired by Far Eastern martial arts.

Outside of the Sacred Valley in pursuit of advancement, Lindon came face-to-face with his destiny as he encountered powers beyond his imagination. The most powerful amongst the clans and Schools within the Valley are mere children compared to the dime a dozen Golds that can be found in the Desolate Wilds.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Will Wight really starts to hit his stride with this sequel, expanding the magic, the world and the characters while building momentum with another fast-paced and exciting read.

Soulsmith takes a big, but necessary step; expanding the story outside the confines of Lindons home, Sacred Valley, where Jade is the greatest height. It allows Wight to fully lift the veil from the eyes of our main character and also from ours by showing us the extent of what is considered to be powerful. What Lindon
Jason
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Soulsmith, Cradle #2 by Will Wight lives up to the incredible high standards that he set with his The Travelers Gate Trilogy. As a result of my love for his trilogy I had very high expectations for this book and series and let me tell you, I was not let down. This is simply epic fantasy at it's finest. Will Wight deserves to be mentioned in the same sentences as the genre giant Brandon Sanderson. Both of these men excel in their fantastical story telling, character creating, and depth to
Kevin
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
Enjoyed this book very much, and picks up right after book 1 concludes and gives us a lot more information about Lindon's world, the other clans outside the valley and more about the path of improvement that Lindon has begun.
(view spoiler)
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks

Dont know why youre crowing about it. Any day where I havent beaten a Remnant to death with its own limb is a holiday.

After having read the first two books in Will Wights Cradle series, it felt unfair to review them separately. While the first book, Unsouled, was interesting and provided a solid foundation for the series it fell a little flat for me particularly when compared to the second book, Soulsmith. I enjoyed Unsouled,
Steven Naylor
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4.0 stars

I didn't like this one as much as the last one. I enjoy the process of getting stronger and reading about how it happens and the struggle. While Linden did get stronger in this book. He achieved copper early on in the story. The was a large section of the story afterward where he really didn't have much progression. The society is frustrating. People's sense of honor is so skewed. Fighting someone weaker than you doesn't seem very honorable. But, if that weaker person actually
Strix
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For almost a third of this book I was afraid the magic was gone, and that sequel syndrome would have wiped out an extremely promising start. The initial chapters were fun, but then it sagged a bit and I worried and dragged my feet on reading more, in case it stayed boring.

Then the Fishers happened, and then everything exploded, and I forgive it, because the slow bits were just the author stage-setting.

That said there is one thing I do not forgive: the brief moment of OOC behavior on Lindon's
Calvin Park
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Will Wight gives us an amazing read in Soulsmith. Wights brand of fantasy is heavy on magic, giving us an intricate and fascinating magic system with plenty of depth. He also gives us a coming-of-age heros journey. All of this is set in a well-developed non-western secondary world. Its so much fun to read, and for fans of hard magic systems itll really hit the spot.

Its no secret that Im a huge fan of magic in fantasy. On this front Will Wight delivers so well. Magic plays an incredibly integral
Rinaldo
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.1/5

Following directly the ending of Unsouled, Lindon and Yerin struggled to survive in the wilderness. They quickly found themselves entangled in a ruin excavation dispute between several factions.

Lindon was a kitten between tigers. Scrambling for anyone who would help and guide him in his Path, he found himself drawn to Soulsmiths and Forging, his original dream way back from the Sacred Valley. I also read this as a metaphor how Lindon would start to forge his own Path.

Compared to its
Steffan
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.33/5 stars
Soo
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:
Couple of important plot events & people are added in this book but the story flow was chunky & did not flow as well as the first book.
Rajkumar Pagey
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2020
This book had a slow start and I was losing hope.
But the moment it picked up paced, it was a joyride.

Everything Lindon and, by extension, we, as readers, knew about the tier system of this world is shattered. There are so many things to learn.
Lindon and Yerin have left Lindon's home, Sacred Valley and even though they have not even healed completely, they have to defend themselves.

Finally they reach the five faction camp and then we are introduced to a barrage of new characters and the clans
Rob
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Executive Summary: It started a bit slow, but ended strong. This continues to be a fun series.

Full Review
I enjoyed Unsouled a lot, and went right into this book. Then life got busy and I put it down for nearly 2 weeks. I think if the start had been a bit better, I'd have made the time to read it anyways.

I said in my review of the first book that this series reminds me a lot of shonen fighting anime and that theme definitely continues here. One of the main issues with those series is "Power
Travis
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how Will Wight does it. Unsouled was published in June 2016 and he releases the sequel THREE MONTHS later, with zero drop in quality.

I loved Wight's Traveler's Gate series, but Cradle is shaping up to be even better. The magic system is both rigidly defined and expansive in nature, and is fully integrated into almost every aspect of the world. Combine that with the classic trope of a young, weak protagonist who painstakingly builds up more and more strength, and you have a great
GaiusPrimus
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wuxia, fantasy
This book was head and shoulders better than book 1 and my first truly enjoyable experience in the wuxia genre.

I honestly can't remember if I read or listened to book 1, so that could definitely be a reason why I feel this way.

Nonetheless, I can start to see what all the fuss is about, but I'll make sure I only listen to these stories going forward.
Franzi
3 Stars
A bit of a slow start, but as the story continues we get to know more about the world and the really cool magic system. There's this typical shonen "main protagonist becomes more powerful, so enemies must get stronger too"-theme which for me makes every rise in power seem a little pointless. I'm still kinda neutral about the main protagonist but start to love the new characters :)
K.
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sadly, this novel did not improve upon its predecessor. Its plot was meandering, and while the protagonist "advanced" magically speaking, the series so far is hampered by a combination of character and plot elements including short-term lag and a fairly flat and abrupt ending.
John Milton
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Fast paced and a great addition to the first in the series. I love the characters, none of them are one-dimensional. You have to love Lindon, the main character. Who doesn't want to love an underdog.
Nate
Lindon has continued to Level up. The only question is how high can he get? Will he be able to defeat the final dungeon boss to save his village from evil?

These books are like candy for me. They're well written, fun, and easy to digest. At times things are foreshadowed well. One of the biggest question marks throughout this novel was easy to guess if not fairly obvious. Nonetheless, I am living this RPG-esque novels. A minute after finishing Soulsmith I had to start Blackflame.
Doug
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good read

The continuation of Lyndon and Yerin's tale is very poignant and hard. They are set upon time and again by greater beings and the crucible is far more than a test.
I still love the different magics. The layers of story. The intricacies of the web of space and time in relation to growth of the characters.
Russ
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book in a great series.
Joshua
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Equally as good as the first novel, if not better.
J.C.
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, especially with the introduction of Aethon and his nonchalance. Turns out that the world is much much bigger than what Lindon knew in book 1.
Andrew
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This rating was close to 5 stars. Im sticking with the same comments I made about Book 1 - it would have been better and more epic to combine Book 1 and Book 2. But we are still being introduced to new main characters, so maybe the first 3 books should all be one book.

This is still a very entertaining story and Im really enjoying it. The other reason its not getting 5 stars is because during my favorite parts it is not going far enough. If there is an epic battle, give more details and make it
Lurino
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Got some shortcomings, but enjoyable

The first chapters of this book was so slow and jumbled, it would be better if the author dedicated it to explain what was going on in the previous book. And the cut between what happens in the main character's world and what happens in Suriel's world was rather abrupt, it would be better off being set as an interlude. In fact, most of the transitions in this book happened as an interlude between events, which is quite an interesting approach, but would be
M.D. Massey
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice follow up to book one

Wight has a tendency to throw a lot at you all at once, but that's not a bad thing considering the depth of his imagination. This second book in the series is a nice follow up to the first, as we get to see Lindon and Yerin deepening their friendship and advancing on the Path. All in all, it's a fun read with a few surprises along the way, and worth picking up if you enjoyed the first in the series.
Phillip Olive
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining

This book is great. It feels like dragonball z, world of Warcraft, crouching tiger hidden dragon and kung fu hustle wrapped together in a most interesting way. I can't wait to read the next installment.
Joey Stettnisch
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this series. If you're looking for something fresh/unique in the fantasy vein, I highly suggest starting this series. The audiobook is done well too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • The First Stop (A Thousand Li #2)
  • On the Shoulders of Titans (Arcane Ascension, #2)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 1 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #1)
  • Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)
  • Street Cultivation
  • Raze (The Completionist Chronicles Book 4)
  • Towers of Heaven (Towers of Heaven, #2)
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
  • Towers of Heaven (Towers of Heaven, #1)
  • Dungeon Eternium (The Divine Dungeon, #5)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 2 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Dao of Magic #1
  • Stone Will (Dragon Heart, #1)
  • Dungeon Desolation (The Divine Dungeon, #4)

Cradle (8 books)
  • Unsouled (Cradle, #1)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)