Start by marking “Peppers of the Americas: The Remarkable Capsicums That Forever Changed Flavor [a Cookbook]” as Want to Read:

Winner of the 2018 International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award for "Reference & Technical"

A beautiful culinary and ethnobotanical survey of the punch-packing ingredient central to today's multi-cultural palate, with more than 40 pan-Latin recipes from a three-time James Beard Award-winning author and chef-restaurateur.From piquillos and s
Published August 1st 2017 by Lorena Jones Books

To ask other readers questions about Peppers of the Americas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peppers of the Americas

Richard Derus
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: E.
Rating: 5* of five

The simple glory of eating peppers is their surprising, underutilized versatility. Nothing is more delicious than a juicy piece of cantaloupe sprinkled with a salt, sugar, dried pepper blend. Oh wait, squeeze some lime juice on it first! The pass out from the pleasure of savoring the sweethottart explosion in your brain.

I grew up on the Texas/Mexico border and was indoctrinated early in the ways of hot and spice, to my resolutely Anglo mother's mild horror and refined disgust.
Critterbee❇
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, cookbook
This massively in-depth, exhaustive encyclopedia of everything capsicum is a very interesting reference on the history of people and peppers, with in-depth information on history, biology, trade, cultivation, selection and preparation of pepper.

Starting with the earliest evidence of human ingestion of peppers, bulldozing through the tumultuous history of the Americas, and ending up at present day availability and usage, this book does not miss anything.

Towards the end of the book, there are som
Robert Durough, Jr.
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
While not the pepper encyclopedia I was hoping for, I still found Maricel E. Presilla’s Peppers of the Americas to be informative and helpful. For those with the same hopes I had for the book, Presilla explains that this book is “not an encyclopedic catalog, but a highly subjective record of my own garden and kitchen encounters with these remarkable plants” (p.vii). Keep that in mind when considering whether or not to pick this one up.

The first eighty pages or so are full of dense text on histor
Cat
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story of the pepper i all it's wonderful glory! Pepper lovers will enjoy it. I did and I am NOT a great pepper fan. I like to see the peppers that are being discussed. But tons of great info! Fans of peppers will love this book! Lots of great photos of the individual peppers, too!
Tonstant Weader
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recently mistook a habanero for one of those mini-bell peppers and popped it in my mouth. It brought me to my knees. Obviously, I need to know more about peppers for my own safety. So, I was thrilled to see Ten Speed Press has a new book to save me and those like me from future disasters. Peppers of the Americas is a huge and beautiful book about those mighty flavor bombs that fall under the rubric of “peppers.” Maricel Presilla has been dubbed the Queen of Capsicum and it seems to be a well-d ...more
Rosemary Standeven
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and before I was even half way through the ARC computer download I pre-ordered a hard copy from Amazon. I have been a fan of peppers – particularly the hot ones – for a long time. Mainly to cook with and to eat, but also to admire the look of the fresh fruit. But even so, I was really gobsmacked by the incredible variety and beauty of the many peppers pictured and described in this book. With each picture is an idea of how the pepper is best used, what sort of heat, flavours, ...more
Virginia Campbell
Learn from the best. “Peppers of the Americas: The Remarkable Capsicums That Forever Changed Flavor” is written by Maricel E. Presilla, a three-time James Beard Award-winning author and chef-restaurateur who is an expert on Latin American cooking. A world-traveler, food historian, and botanical explorer, the author explains the origins of chile peppers and how they migrated the globe to become an essential food in the cuisines of many cultures. This encyclopedic volume is a masterful study of al ...more
Lili
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a digital advance reader copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Peppers of America was the first book on NetGalley that I did not finish in the allotted fifty-five day review period. Although the book offered a comprehensive education on peppers – including the history of peppers, a catalog of different types of peppers, gardening advice, and recipes for cooking with peppers – I couldn’t get past page fifteen. And it was a struggle for me to get that far. Th
DelAnne Frazee
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Title: Peppers of the Americas - The Remarkable Capsicums That Forever Changed Flavor
Author: Marciel E. Presilla
ISBN: 9789389578922
Reviewed For: NetGalley and Ten Speed Press
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 5 Stars

When cooking I love to use peppers. This is a great book that tells of most peppers, where they come from, their uses and heat strength. There re a
Lilith Day
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love peppers. I add them to my foods all the time. I like the sweetness red peppers add to my soups. I also use black pepper for flavor, and green peppers make a great stir-fry. However, I did not realize how many pepper's there really were.

This book is more than a cookbook. When you will read some recipes, this is more of an overview of the pepper itself. You will find some amazing facts, varieties, and tips along the way. If I had to sum it up, this is more of a textbook of peppers.

Overall,
Sandra Lassiter
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great cookbook for pepper lovers!! All the information you would want on peppers, and lots of recipes as well. Try the Big Tamal Pie Filled With Chicken in Chile Ancho Adobo!

If you want to grow peppers, all the information you need is here. Just want to be able to identify them? This book has you covered.

If you love peppers, I highly recommend this book!

I received a copy of this book through the Blogging for Books program for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Madison Loveday
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I cook, I love to use peppers so I was super excited when this book came in the mail! This huge in-depth encyclopedia of everything capsicum is a very interesting reference on the history of peppers with in-depth information on history, biology, trade, cultivation, selection and preparation of peppers. Towards the end of the book, there are some interesting recipes for yummy rubs, pastes, sauces, and some main and side dishes that showcase peppers. Go check out this amazing book on Amazon h ...more
Naomi
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, MASSIVE book on EVERYTHING pepper related. Note: there are more peppers native to North America than I ever thought! This book was amazing.

Don't forget the recipe section at the end. It was my absolute favorite in the book and bumped it up to its 5 star rating. The recipes the author included are spectacular ranging from very simple salts to extravagant, intricate dinners.

Polly Krize
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Super reference on peppers of all kinds! As in depth as possible, the history and development of peppers globally is contained in this book, along with outstanding photography. Interesting recipes for rubs, sauces, etc. is here too.
Gooshe Net
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has ten interesting chapters about peppers;
A pepper epiphany, the silent gardeners, Pepper anatomy and heat, The capsicum clan, Peppers into words, The World travels of peppers, Gallery of fresh peppers, Gallery of dried peppers, Into the pepper garden and Cooking with peppers.
Craig Thompson
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through Review

This is an amazing summary of the kinds of peppers available to amateur chefs such as myself. No recipes but plenty on insights into the different flavor profiles of many many peppers.
Brock Rhodes
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful content. Comprehensive and entertaining.
Janet
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bring 'em on .... with lots of cheese to dull the pain!!!
Cristy
Dec 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: read-harder-2019
Read Harder Challenge #9: A book published prior to January 1, 2019, with fewer than 100 reviews on Goodreads.
Christopher Garcia