Start by marking “Seven Theories of Religion” as Want to Read:
Seven Theories of Religion

Seven Theories of Religion

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Seven Theories of Religion introduces a sequence of "classic" attempts to explain religion scientifically, presenting each in brief outline and in non-technical language. It considers first the views of E.B. Tylor and James Frazer, two Victorian pioneers in anthropology and the comparative study of religion. It explores the controversial "reductionist" approaches of Freud, ...more
Published August 1st 1996 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published April 18th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Theories of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Theories of Religion

H
Nov 14, 2009 added it
Shelves: religion
An excessively academic study stifled by its polite rhetoric; half the book is fluffed introduction. Selection of theories & major figures is almost incoherent, jammed together for the sake of the project rather than naturally flowing from the actual impact on major thinkers in the last two centuries. This is one of those highly summary books which gives the illusion of information by its selectivity of main ideas from various sources, but in the end makes no conclusions or syntheses or sign ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you want to compare what different theorists of religion have to say and in such an engaging style, this is a really exciting book. I can't wait till I get to this part about Mircea Eliade.....
James Hollomon
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cult-research
This is not a book to read in hopes of discovering a general theory of religion. It is, instead, a wonderful study of why such a one-size-fits-all theory will be difficult if not impossible for cultural anthropologists to construct. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and learned much about the truths the seven great students of human religions unearthed and also the errors that rendered each one's work far from perfect.
Mujib Romadlon
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
sangat menarik sekali ketika melihat pandangan agama dari berbagai tokoh, katakanlah marx yang mengatakan agama adalah candu, implikasi logis durkheim merupakan fakta dan fenomena sosiologis, agama itu hanyalah ilusi oleh freud dan beberapa tokoh lain pun memakai berbagai pandangan masing-masingnya. dan silahkan anda akan menambahkan subyektifis anda sendiri mengenai agama menurut anda pribadi..
Haven
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly recommend this book to help one study the many theories of religions from the academic standpoint. This book is really well put together. I used this book to get me through one of my collage classes at UNCG. It's an amazing book and believe me, I really put this book to good use.
Heribertus P
Oct 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
just stay calm,read carefully..
Ed
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
I found this book helpful to my comprehending these seven theorists, especially Durkheim, though friends tell me Pals' reading is "problematic."
Joevarian
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I wrote some review about this book on my blog: joehudijana.wordpress.com
Dy-an
Dec 28, 2007
Gene
Mar 24, 2012
Grace Manaransyah
rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2011
Jul 09, 2015
Salvatore Cirillo
Jul 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism
  • Psychology and Religion
  • The Ritual Process: Structure and Anti-Structure
  • Pagan Ways: Finding Your Spirituality in Nature
  • The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
  • The Prehistory of the Mind: The Cognitive Origins of Art, Religion and Science
  • Cleansing the Doors of Perception: The Religious Significance of Entheogenic Plants and Chemicals
  • The Jesus Discovery: The New Archaeological Find that Reveals the Birth of Christianity
  • Essential Sacred Writings from Around the World: A Thematic Sourcebook on the History of Religions
  • Essential Zen
  • How Jesus Became Christian
  • The Discovery of the Unconscious: The History and Evolution of Dynamic Psychiatry
  • The Myth of the Birth of the Hero: A Psychological Exploration of Myth
  • The Elementary Forms of Religious Life
  • Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition
  • Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief
  • Ancient Mystery Cults
  • The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament