Start by marking “The Flintstones, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Flintstones, Vol. 1

The Flintstones, Vol. 1

(The Flintstones (2016) #1-6)

Fred and Barney reunite for Mark Russell's modern take on Hanna-Barbera's most famous stone-age family!
This new series starring the first family of Bedrock (and civilization, really) tells the story of who we are and why we do what we do as if it all began with Fred, Wilma, Barney, Betty, and the rest of the citizens of Bedrock. Shining a light on humanity's ancient custo
Published March 28th 2017 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Flintstones, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flintstones, Vol. 1

Start your review of The Flintstones, Vol. 1
Anne
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Flintstones, meet the Flintstones
They're the modern Stone-Age family...

Remember those guys?

description

These are not those guys.
Now, to me, this was a funny look at a What If version of these classic characters that took a few of the hot-button issues of the times and poked fun at them in a prehistoric setting. I'm somewhat liberal, so none of what they were saying got under my skin or pissed me off.

Flintstones, meet the Flintstones
They're the modern Stone-Age family...

Remember those guys?

description

These are not those guys.

But.
If someone were to hold traditional family values near and dear, then seeing their favorite childhood cartoon pulled into the debate on sex, politics, religion, and war might not be as cute.
I get that.
This is a pretty one-sided view of Bedrock. I mean, it's my side, but still...

description

I thought it was kind of hilarious to see all the monogamy protests and the crazy animal religion stuff culminate into an invisible god. <-hahahaha!
I think a lot of readers who have a strong faith aren't really going to get their panties in a big twist over Russell's parody of churches, because most of the people I know who are religious are also pretty open-minded and have a good sense of humor.
Still. Know yourself. If that doesn't sound like a good time to you, then just give it a pass.

description

So, yeah. I thought this was pretty cute. It made some good points and made me grin. But, fair warning, it's also an entire revamping of the character's and their personalities.
Sam Quixote
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The Flintstones gets a makeover in their newly-relaunched series: Fred and Barney are war vets with PTSD, Wilma’s an artist, and Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm are tweens! Do the changes work? Actually, yes! Is this one of the best titles of the past year like many reviewers are claiming? Nope! It’s surprisingly not bad though – I can definitely see why there’s enthusiasm for this series.

Appropriately enough given the original sitcom’s episodic nature, each issue is a self-contained story with Mark Rus
James DeSantis
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who knew Flintstones of all comics can be one of the best new comics to check out?

This is a grown up version of Flintstones. No it's not super gritty of violent. Yes it still has funny moments. Yes it still has all the characters you love. The major difference is the themes and stories it wants to tell. It's social satire at it's finest. From PSD to Racism to Politics. It covers it all and in a way I thought was respectful and fun no matter which side you lean towards. That's not always easy to
Chad
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
The Flintstones have been recreated as a wry satire on today's society. Some of the stories work, like people getting upset that people are starting to get married. Others, like Fred and Barney having to get second jobs so that their wives can buy more crap feel like I'm being beaten over the head with a stick about abject consumerism. The stories and jokes are all just OK, none of them really grab me. I'll probably give this series a pass in the future.

Received an advance copy from DC and Net/>Received
Chris
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Razor-sharp satire and cynical commentary, combined with witty humour and some surprisingly heartfelt moments, makes the first volume of The Flintstones a must-read.

In many ways, this book reminded me of writer Mark Russell's previous work on the sorely-overlooked Prez. While Prez explored the perils of our society in a hypothetical (yet eerily plausible) future, The Flintstones looks to the past and highlights the flaws in our modern culture by introducing aspects of it during the dawn o
Morris
I’m finding it difficult to come up with words to describe how much I loved “The Flintstones Vol. 1.” These are not the Flintstones of your childhood. There is biting satire about the world today that has you laughing one moment and thinking deeply the next. My favorite was issue five. I won’t spoil it, but it is a top-notch political commentary on the state of our elections. The top it all off, the artwork is detailed and beautiful. Highly recommend! All of the Stars!

This unbiased r
Steve
I received this from Edelweiss and DC Comics in exchange for an honest review.

No, just no.
Sara
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, eh, reboot
This was a neat idea that went a little overboard. I should say that I've never been a fan of either "The Flintstones" or "The Jetsons." Basically they were both your typical modern sitcom just with mini mastodon's instead of vacuums or robot maids instead of housekeepers. I never held with the idea that kids will find the exact same thing their parents are watching entertaining as long as its animated. Both shows were ENTIRELY about what wacky way the creators could come up with to copy all the ...more
Mike
Liked it ok but felt disappointed after the hype.

A few clever jokes...and some "deep" commentary:

But terrible dialogue delivery. Like, leaden. No, more like unemotional. Like there's no real engagement here. I feel...nothing for these characters.

I mean,
Sans
I bought this because my comic shop guy recommended it. I was not expecting much but, honestly, he has never steered me wrong. The sheer genius in this is kind of staggering (especially after one too many vodka sodas, whoops) and the amount of social commentary hidden in this book is just amazing. Seriously, give this a try. You will not regret it.
Chelsea &#x1f3f3;️‍&#x1f308;
David Schaafsma
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
For those of you who are young, this comic is based on a sixties tv show featuring Fred and Wilma, Barney and Betty, in Bedrock. The animated tv show was always great social satire, and this is a surprisingly funny and apt update, focused on issues of racism, war, consumerism, marriage, capitalism. Satire of primarily American society, through anachronism. In this new version Barney and Fred are vets, Wilma is an artist (doing handprint caveman-style art that is trashed by the urban art crowd--" ...more
Morgan
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The modern Stone Age family gets even more modern in this latest DC Comics reboot. Parts of this remind me of All in the Family and other parts remind me of Mad Men, which is what I was expecting with this reboot. Overall, it's a fun comic book and the art is eye candy. I wasn't that impressed with the writing though. The first few issues were alright, but I think it improves half way through this volume. I'm excited to see where this comic goes and to see more stories from Bedrock. I hope the J ...more
Shadowdenizen
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-dc
4.5 stars.

Who would have guessed that The Flinstones would be one of the most accessible and socially insightful comics of the year?!

DC is doing a great job shepherding and updating the Hanna Barbera properties! (Also highly recommended is the Scooby Apocalypse title.)
Meghan
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a ton of fun to read. I'm sorry it took so long for me to do so, and I want to cosplay as Pebbles ASAP.
Alex Sarll
When you think about it, The Flintstones was always addressing contemporary issues in a pseudo-Stone Age setting, but I'd still love to see the moment when someone realised that meant it could become Black Mirror facing the other way. Hence stories like the one where marriage has Bedrock up in arms, simply because it's new, and if the sex cave used to be good enough then why do people want to change the system now? It's unnatural!* The Water Buffalo lodge is a support group for the survivors fuc ...more
Stabbing
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-comics
Read as single issue comics. I really wasn't sure what to expect from this title but I'm so glad I ended up putting it on my pull list. I absolutely love the art and writing. Social satire isn't really my go to thing but Mark Russell pulls it off will his clever wit. This title ended up being so much better than I thought it would be.
Andrew
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-vertigo, comics
It's tempting to overrate this simply because it's not the sort of thing you usually see from major publishers. You have to applaud Russell and Pugh for getting away with a premise like "Bedrock is built atop the extremely recent genocide of a tribe of tree people. Barney and Fred participated in this genocide and are now wracked with guilt and PTSD. Their children's high school mascot is 'The Fighting Tree People.'"

Not all of the topical jokes land well or cut that deep, but when Ru
vanessa
A friend at work told me about this and I was like, "The Flintstones? What? It's supposed to be good?" Yes. And she was right. This is a satire, poking fun and commenting on American society, including religion, science, war, marriage, politics, and consumerism. It made me chuckle under my breath - some of the storylines and one-liners hit me exactly as the writers intended. I would definitely recommend to people who like reading acerbic socio-political commentary. This comic surprised me.
Sesana
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I can't say that I ever expected a Flintstones comic to address PTSD, infertility, materialism, and gay marriage, but here we are.
Ana
If you loved the cartoons, then don't read this. It will stain your childhood, but I decided to take the risk and there are no regrets. This comic is soooo good it's worth it.
Karen
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Two stars because the art is simply beautiful, but I couldn't stand all the socio-political things contained in this novel, I was expecting something different, something more simple and funny.
Anna
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, graphicnovel
I spotted this graphic novel while browsing in the library and recalled reading somewhere online that the new Flintstones comic was a satire on capitalism. Since I had one space left on my library card, I thought why not? And indeed, it did turn out to be an impressively dark little satire on consumerism, the military-industrial complex, religion, and marriage. Most institutions, really. This range of targets made it a bit scattershot, but the writing was also incisive, deadpan, and very funny. ...more
TheSkepticalReader
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I both hate and love this a lot.
Chance Lee
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Flintstones comics from DC reimagines the modern Stone Age family for the 21st century. The original Hanna-Barbera cartoon from the 1960s depicted cavemen engaged in the same lifestyle as "modern" folks -- marriages with traditional gender roles, rampant consumerism, an adulation of masculine ideals.

This comic critiques all those things through a Stone Age lens -- if they'd had lenses. The various issues contained in this volume touch on consumerism, monogamy, science, faith, PTSD, and more. Fred and
Matt
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating take on the classic cartoon that we've all seen and become familiar with. It's very well done and highly satirical. This comic has a lot of social commentary in it about humanity and society. It has a lot to say on a variety of issues and uses the prehistoric civilization of The Flintstones as a vehicle to discuss contemporary problems. The artwork is top notch and adds immensely to the comics. Don't be fooled by the seemingly juvenile name, concept, and "reboot" aura that surround ...more
Peacegal
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
How crazy is it that one of the smartest and funniest social commentaries in recent comics has come in the form of THE FLINTSTONES? No, this is not the cartoon comic I got at the newsstand in second grade, and it took me a little bit of time to wrap my head around this more mature presentation of the modern stone age family. It's really cool that Hanna-Barbera has allowed other artists to re-imagine their intellectual properties in a way that say, Disney would probably not.
Lata
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars for some social commentary using the Flintstones. The author's tackling a number of things: vets after a war and where and how they fit in, religion, same sex and other marriage, roles within marriage, bullying, voting, etc. I just wasn't amused or impressed by the satire.
Matt
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! So what better way to address religion, politics, war, the institution of marriage, consumerism and other social dilemmas than in Flintstones.
Kris
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is shockingly good. It is one of the best-written pieces of satire that I have read in a while. It manages to address PTSD, religion, infertility, war, and homophobia in a relevant and smart way. Using the Flintstones. I know, I was surprised, too. But trust me.

• The Jetsons
  • Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 1
  • Wacky Raceland
  • Future Quest, Vol. 1
  • Mister Miracle
  • DC Meets Looney Tunes
  • Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 2
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 3
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 3: Age of Doom Part One
  • Deadpool, Vol. 1: Mercin' Hard for the Money
Mark Russell is the author of God Is Disappointed in You and Apocrypha Now. He also writes the comic book series Prez and The Flintstones for DC Comics. He lives and works in Portland, Oregon.

The Flintstones (2016) (2 books)
  • The Flintstones, Vol. 2: Bedrock Bedlam
“It makes me think. Maybe the only meaning to life is that which we get from each other.” 1 likes