Start by marking “Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 1

Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 1

(Scooby Apocalypse (Collected Editions) #1)

Fred. Daphne. Velma. Shaggy. Scooby-Doo. Roaming the globe in their lime-green Mystery Machine, they've solved countless crimes and debunked dozens of sketchy supernatural shenanigans.

But what if the horror was real?

Something terrible has transformed our world, turning millions of people into mindless zombie hordes. And only five people--well, four people and one mangy mut
Published February 7th 2017 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 1, please sign up.
Sarah There wasn't any language or sex but there is a lot of action and blood/gore. Nothing that is quite disgusting or inappropriate per se but if the…moreThere wasn't any language or sex but there is a lot of action and blood/gore. Nothing that is quite disgusting or inappropriate per se but if the intended audience has never seen a zombie movie or something with similar gore you might wait til they are mature enough to handle that kind of content.(less)

Anne

Scooby-Dooby-Doo!

description

We've gone through a lot of different incarnations of Scooby & Shaggy over the years, and this is one of the better ones. <-- my opinion.
I'm not sure how to describe what was done with them without spoiling too much of the storyline, but it fits with the original spirit of the characters.

description

I'd like to say that I enjoyed the update given to the rest of Mystery Inc, but that would make me a big fat liar. Fred was a pathetic, groveling, hanger-on who kept trying to a
Sean Gibson
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Pop quiz time!

The graphic novel I have read that contains the most dialogue is:

A) Something by noted magician and obsessive wordophile Alan Moore
B) Something by Mametian dialogue addict Brian Michael Bendis
C) Scooby Apocalypse

Give up?

Yeah, it’s C, and by several degrees of magnitude. I’ve never, in my comic reading life (which, in dog years, has lasted like 7,439 years…or maybe I’m just bad at math), seen a book with this much dialogue (much of it painfully expository and repetitive), nor so man
Malum
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very fun take on Scooby Doo, and it has great art, as well. The only things I didn't like was the fact that Velma and Daphne have the same exact argument almost every issue (nearly word-for-word), and Daphne has wild mood swings that come out of nowhere.
Sam Carpenter
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Look, I wanted to try it, OK?

It’s bad. But not for any of the reasons I thought it might be bad. The idea is actually quite nice. The art is lovely. I have no problem with the reimagination of the characters. I quite like the overall story in theory.

But the writing? Oh my, the writing. What has happened to Keith Giffen? This is just so repetitive. I lost count of the amount of times a conversation between Velma and Daphne went ‘It wasn’t my fault’, ‘yeah, you keep telling yourself that’, or Daph
Shadowdenizen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-dc
Read as single issues.

Highly recommended! Still on my monthly pull list. This is a solid 4 stars for a title that is better than it has any right to be.

It keeps the core concept and characters, but defines the characters better and places them in a more "realistic" setting where the Zombie Apocalypse has been unleashed

The story crackles, theres good pathos, some humor that doesn't actually derail the title, and good interpersonal dynamics with the characters. This title is actually better than m
Evans Light
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loads of fun and a nice twist on the Scooby-Doo franchise. The art design for Daphne was somewhat unpleasant and inconsistent, but overall the comic is well done and enjoyable. Reading Volume 2 now.
Quentin Wallace
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Who'd have thought Scooby Doo would be THIS good?

This is Scooby Doo updated for an older audience. So in this new universe, Scooby is an upgraded cybernetic dog and a bit of a badass. He does talk, but now worries, it's still rut roh and his old school dialogue so we never forget it's Scooby. Shaggy is a dog trainer, Daphne the host of an investigative TV show, Fred her cameraman, and Velma one of the smartest scientists in the world.

The trouble begins when the lab Velma works at relea
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had no idea what to expect with this book, and I really didn't set my expectations very high. They were pretty low, actually. I'm not a fan of reboots, rewrites, or refreshes. My view is that most of the time, they are not necessary, and are simply a push for nostalgia. I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

It is a reboot, of course, but it is well-written and well thought out. I definitely liked the back story of Scooby being
Diz
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
As an old fan of the Scooby Doo gang, I was eager to try this out, but ultimately this was very disappointing. First of all, other than names and color schemes, these aren't really the characters that I love. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the execution was all wrong. The depictions of the characters are really mean spirited. They don't trust anyone and they are constantly fighting with each other. This mean-spiritedness affects the writing as well. There is a particular exchange betwee ...more
Kirsty
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this comic from DC Entertainment via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This was a bit different to what I was expecting, but still thoroughly enjoyable. This is essentially a reboot of Scooby and the rest of the gang has them as strangers to begin with. Daphne and Fred know each other as they have been working on a show together, which the reader learns very on has totally flopped. Shaggy is a dog trainer for some new and exotic canines who come across as quite gruesome and sca
Chad
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had low expectations that were far exceeded. Howard Porter's art is perfect for Scooby Doo. And Hi-Fi's colors are gorgeous. The dialogue is snappy and true to the characters from the various Hanna-Barbera incarnations. The story has been updated to travelling through an apocalyptian landscape instead of solving mysteries.

Received an advance copy from DC and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Anna Louise
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Scooby Doo growing up and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this modern update. The story was well written, the characters had a modern spin and the artwork was superb. They are the same gang we all loved riding along with in the Mystery Machine. And wait til you see that...
Scooby-Doo meets Dawn of the Dead meets The Dollhouse meets A Boy and His Dog. With a possible shout out to We3 that gave me a sad and probably a whole lot of Resident Evil.

The apocalypse comes and it's partially Velma's fault. Scooby is stalwart and true; Shaggy does better than I expected; and Scrappy becomes a sociopathic super soldier. Didn't see that coming.

I liked it. Wish it was a little more meta-textual and a little less standard trope-y.
Jerry
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I first became a Scooby-Doo fan in 1998, just as I was finishing fourth grade. Since then, I've watched and read various incarnations of "those meddling kids". When Scrappy was introduced, that was the shark-jumping moment according to popular opinion; the 13 Ghosts series was considered to contain occultism by some; the first direct-to-video films (Zombie Island, Witch's Ghost) had monsters and such that were real, which scared young children and upset their parents; 2002's What's New, Scooby-D ...more
Morgan
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Well that was different...

I originally thought I was going to hate this one. I don't like how the characters look and still think the artwork is meh, but I liked the story. I thought it was really entertaining. You got me, who has seen almost every reboot of Scooby-Doo some of them were good and some of them were horrible. This one is in the middle. It's no where near as good as Mystery Incorporated, but it way better than Be Cool Scooby-Doo.

I think Scooby-Doo is the only character in this that
Ginny Lurcock
If you're going to rely heavily on nostalgia to sell your reboot, it's generally considered wise to ensure your new product bears at least a passing resemblance to the original.

This... does not.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very Scooby feels. Shaggy has remained true to himself. (And who would've thought that 70s stoner translates to 2017 hipster stoner... But here we are.) Scooby has strong feelings about pizza. Velma is still wicked smart. They all use their catch phrases at least once.

Bu
Alicia Balliett
I grew up obsessed with Scooby Doo. When I found out about this I knew I had to read it.
The way the characters meet each other fit into place so perfectly. Even their famous words (zoinks, jinkies and others) come into the story just right.
What I really like most about this is that the characters are very different from each other but yet they connect to one another.

BTW, the art work is incredible!
Scott Rhee
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don’t be fooled: Just because Scooby Doo and the gang are the main characters of “Scooby Apocalypse” doesn’t mean that this comic book series is for children. It is so not. I repeat: THIS IS NOT FOR CHILDREN. There is graphic violence, blood, gore, and foul language galore, so keep that in mind before letting your kid read it.

That said, “Scooby Apocalypse” is the most fun I’ve had reading a comic book in a long time. It’s funny, smart, exciting, and a clever re-imagining of a childhood Saturday
Jessica
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
“The freezers have been out for days! All the pizzas have gone bad! Not t’mention the cocktail fanks an’ ice cream! Oh the Humanity!!”

Back in 1969 there was an amazing Saturday morning cartoon show created by Hanna-Barbera called Scooby-Doo, Where are you? This cartoon followed 4 teenagers and an adorable great dane as they went about solving supernatural mysteries (Hint: it was always the grounds keeper or butler).

Although the original show only lasted until October 1970 that didn’t stop its po
Devann
I will agree with some other reviewers that this title is a bit dialogue heavy and that a lot of that dialogue repeats, but honestly I don't think it's THAT bad and you can always just skim if it seems like you're in familiar territory. But despite that small setback I still gave this five stars because it's just so much FUN. I am convinced someone saw that Scooby Doo shirt that's been Threadless for the last 10 years [which I totally own by the way] and said hey we should make a comic about th ...more
Tony
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
So first off, fun. It’s like a new age hipster (rather than hippie) gang if they were set in a post apocalyptic “Dawn of the Dead” situation. The writing is... I wish it was less arguing and more jokes. We will see how it unfolds. I already heard the series was cancelled ending this April, but after a long run. Let’s see what is in store!
Jess at JessicaWrites.co.uk
This was a truly interesting reincarnation of my favourite cartoon, I wish I could rate it higher! My biggest pet peeve was Daphne Blake and the fact she repeated the same thing every other page. We get it. She hates Velma and blames her for the apocalypse, ya don't need to repeat it on every damn page. Who edited this thing and thought, "yeah, this isn't repetitive at all. Keep it as it is!"
Karrie Stewart
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An awesome upgrade to a classic cartoon series. Bitchy Daphne needs to go somewhere!
Josh (Beards & Books)
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well that was great 😂 really intreaged to see where this goes, love the hipster art work especially Shaggy and Scooby. Great twists with Velmas character early on, well worth a read!
Nicolas
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I'm in. The reimaging really works in this world. Seems to me that Shaggy was the only one who was lost in translation. By making him an average, capable guy you lose something vital to the mix. Character-wise, he's the weak link... because he's not the weak link.
Ken Yuen
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Over the top, dumb, graphic, and fun. There's a bit too much dialogue that gets repetitive with the arguing, but everything is ridiculous enough to be enjoyable.
Anna
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid, my main experiences of Scooby-Doo and the gang were from re-runs of "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" and the direct to DVD films. Yet somehow, it still managed to become one of my favorite things ever. It definitely sparked a love of mysteries and the "monster of the week" TV format (continuing to this day with shows like "Buffy" and "Supernatural"). That said, I was very wary of a Scooby reboot which dealt with the APOCALYPSE of all things! I was not right to be worried and I thin ...more
Ryan Lindberg
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome! When characters that you grow up with change so drastically, it's difficult to accept them, but that anger at change only lasted for an issue. The story won out. This is a fantastic monster apocalypse book, drowned in mystery. I'm not sure why every creator that gets their hand on Scrabby-Doo has to make him malicious, but he's not the bad guy. Just an ass-hole dog trying to survive with a deep hatred for Scooby-Doo because Scooby is soft-hearted. This book is a new origin stor ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jeepers! This is fantastic. I grew up watching Hanna-Barbera on Saturday mornings and have been so excited by this HB/DC event! This is the second book in the Universe that I've read. I'll say this from the start that I think people are either going to hate this or love it. I am in the love it corner. Scooby-Doo was never my favourite of the cartoons. I loved the mysteries and monsters but the Scooby & Shaggy part never won me over. This modern rendering of the Mystery Machine gang dealing w ...more
Fiction State Of Mind
This is a solid reimagining of the Scooby Doo gang meeting in a world about to be over run by mutated humans. Velma is at the heart of the scientific think tank, while Shaggy is in charge of the animal research labs and a special dog named scooby.

When Velma realizes the extent of damage the nano virus will cause she brings Daphne in for an interview to expose the operation only to witness the entire complex go on lockdown as the entire complex morphs into monsters.

The art in this volume is spect
Play Book Tag: Scooby Apocalypse Vol 1/Keith Giffen/4 Stars 3 20 Jul 13, 2018 09:42AM

• The Flintstones, Vol. 1
  • I Am Gandhi: A Graphic Biography of a Hero
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 10: Parents' Day
  • Power Man and Iron Fist, Vol. 1: The Boys are Back in Town
  • Spider-Woman, Volume 2: New Duds
Keith Ian Giffen is an American comic book illustrator and writer. He is possibly best-known for his long runs illustrating, and later writing the Legion of Super-Heroes title in the 1980s and 1990s. He also created the alien mercenary character Lobo (with Roger Slifer), and the irreverent "want-to-be" hero, Ambush Bug. Giffen is known for having an unorthodox writing style, often using characters ...more

Scooby Apocalypse (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 2