Start by marking “Secret Heart” as Want to Read:
Secret Heart

Secret Heart

Avery Jennings is a punk-rock guitarist with a secret weakness for rom-coms and Taylor Swift. Her band, Detonate the Gazelle is ready to move to Austin after graduation, but Avery is having second thoughts. She’s fallen hard for Madison Shea, student council president with a douchebag boyfriend, after their orbits collide at Oak Bluff High’s inaugural Gay-Straight Alliance ...more
Published October 11th 2016 by DDB Press

To ask other readers questions about Secret Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Heart

lov2laf
I'm torn on this read.

This is a YA book that really captured the spirit of being a teenager through its characters, action, and language. The dialogue was particularly good and many times it was outright amusing. The cast all around is depicted well including those with more minor roles. Avery is a punk rock type while Madison is popular but nice. And, Scott is Avery's fantastic best friend where they give each other sh*t constantly and have many great scenes together.

In the beginning of the bo
Heinerway
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
What can I say? I love young adult and high school drama stories. Maybe I'm young at heart.
Andrew
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq

Secret Heart is a light, sweet, f/f high school contemporary. Avery is an out-and-proud lesbian in an all-girl lesbian band called Detonate the Gazelle. She's always had a bit of a crush on classmate Madison, even though she knows it's a bad idea to pine after straight girls. When Madison goes to the GSA that Avery got roped into hosting with her best friend Scott, the two get to know eachother a bit better, and sparks begin to fly (like the Taylor Swift song that Avery probably secretly loves!)

Leeawna Deary
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I really enjoyed this story and I really enjoyed how if I ever go through with my dream of writing at least one novel, I want to create something like this. This is phenomenal! I’d give it 6 stars I love it so much!
Lexi
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yaygayya, young-adult
Light, funny, well-paced YA rom-com. BFFs Avery and Scott are hilarious in every scene they have together.
Leah
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great dialogue made this YA novel entertaining and totally believable. Including a soundtrack for the book is a great hook.
Danielle Armstrong
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved it! Avery is one of the most badass heroines that I've met in a long time.
Janet
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Always love when one of my friends get a book published. LGBTQ romance. Well done but possibly a little graphic for some school libraries. (I would buy it but I'm one who would push the limits.)
J. Peters
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, largely in part due to the vibrancy of the characters. Avery and Scott in particular brought a lot of life to this one, and their interactions were, to me, the driving force of the book. I also quite enjoyed the band mates and the various members of Tiger Pride.

What didn't work for me entirely was the way the book ended. I'll cover that, but it will be with spoiler tags.

It was a relatively quick read. Given the stress of the real world at the moment, that was apprecia
Samantha
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I think every wlw has had the situation where they crush on a straight girl, but I'm not sure that every wlw has had it work out nearly as well as it did for Avery. Or really pursued it like she did. There were moments that made me cock my head in confusion and annoyance and moments that made me ache in jealousy because I wish I could have handled my high school bullying as well as Avery. Scott made me miss my childhood best friend, who I'm pretty sure inspired the character (Im kidding), and re ...more
Mirtha Siblesz
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well done story!

This thought provoking story was very well done. The plight that every LGBTQ youth goes through in their lives from coming out to bullying, to being ostracized, to young love and that struggle was personified very well in the characters represented by Avery, Madison, and Scott. The supporting cast of characters were equally well done. Overall, a job well done for a first novel!
Jim From YAYeahYeah
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked this a lot, mainly due to really strong characterisation. Avery - punk-rock guitarist/songwriter and proudly-out lesbian is a fantastic main character, and there's great chemistry between her and love interest Madison, the popular (but presumed straight) girl she falls for. These two & Avery's hilarious best friend Scott make this a strong rec from me despite it being a fairly predictable read. Would love to read more from Danielle!
Sascha Broich
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical high school drama with the out-and-proud girl crushing on the supposedly straight girl. Including the secret relationship and the ups and downs of it.
Michelae Forsythe
K
Mar 31, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
YA LGBT Books: f/f romantic comedy: Secret Heart 1 18 Nov 05, 2016 10:11AM
Danielle wears many (baseball) hats. By day she is a teen librarian north of Seattle, by night she is an amateur cook, and by sunrise she is a YA writer of gritty and witty stories set in the humid hell of Central Florida.

Danielle spent her formative years in the Tampa Bay Area driving into neighborhood signs, breaking curfew, and writing bad poetry (some of which can be seen on her blog) before m