Start by marking “Promesa audaz: Saga Montgomery (Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Promesa audaz: Saga Montgomery  (Book 1)

Promesa audaz: Saga Montgomery

(Montgomery/Taggert (Publication order) #2)

Inglaterra, 1501. Todo el país se recogió con la boda de Judith Revedoune y Gavin Montgomery. Aunque Judith se había prometido que su esposo sólo la poseería por la fuerza, el primer contacto entre ambos, ante el florido altar, enciende la llama de una pasión inocultable. Cuando Gavin se asomó al fondo de aquellos ojos dorados, se sintió consumido por el deseo... Pero ya ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Ediciones B (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Promesa audaz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promesa audaz

Start your review of Promesa audaz: Saga Montgomery (Book 1)
Lucy Qhuay
This book was too heavy for me!!! -.-
First, the "hero" is a total dick, who is obsessed with some evil blonde slut and doesn't recognize that he is her puppet. He fails to recognize the evil in the bitch and totally mistreats the heroine, his wife, because of said slut.
The heroine just wants his love and approval, which he constantly denies.
She is physically and psychologically abused. She ends up pregnant and risks her life and the life of her unborn child to save him, going to the house of
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
1.5 stars!

description

I don’t know how I gave this book 4 stars before. Granted, the overall story is elaborate and entertaining to read but I really wanted to bash the ASSHOLE HERO with a brick. Make that a pile of bricks.

Kickass heroine

+ Awesome side characters

+ Rich and well-researched story

+ Asshole hero?
_______________________________________

It’s a weird math equation but that’s how much I HATED the hero Gavin.

(view spoiler)
Megzy
I refuse to finish reading ANY story that involves rape, abuse, or involuntary sexual servitude by the "so called hero" as an erotic act. Even if you have a physical reaction to the abuse, the emotional damage that results is something you never get over. You do not fall in love with your rapist, and you certainly cannot have a healthy relationship with your rapist, and suggesting otherwise is demeaning to sexual abuse victims AND irresponsible.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I would have loved this book had I not wanted to murder the hero. Gavin Montgomery should be tied to two tons of bricks and dropped off a very high cliff.
KatieV
2/26/14 ETA: Okay I upped this from 3 to 4 stars, because I did really like it and it's much better than a lot of the 3 star books I have out there. It kept me engaged. I didn't skim, etc. I have a tendency to do this when a character or plot point irks me so bad I can't see the bigger picture. I think I did the same thing with Lily and The Demon Lover. Maybe I should wait a week before writing my reviews. However, I do so love to rant when I'm in the moment :)

***original review***

This is my
*TANYA*
I wanted to scream and shout at Gavin for being so dense and stupid, he was not deserving of Judith. Perhaps I was suppose to swoon over this “love story” but I hated the back and forth between them.
Stacey is Sassy
Where Sassy’s love for historical romance began…

Once upon a time, a long time ago, there was a young girl called Stacey. On a day like any other, she was walking through her local shopping centre doing a little browsing. What does she see before her, but a magical *BARGAIN BIN* announcing *4 PAPERBACKS FOR $10.00*. Well, Stacey, she was a remarkably canny young lady and had saved all her spare dollars for a day like that day. She looked into the barrel and her eyes lit up. Gleaming, silky covers
Reader
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
UNREDEEMABLE MALE LEAD

I'm really trying to resist having a rant about this book. I've heard much about this author and being a lover of historical romances I'm not sure how I've not read anything by her before, needless to say this is my first and last book by her.

Gavin Montgomery is in love with Alice Valence their secret meetings cannot go on, marriage is what he wants to the beautiful and doe eyed Alice. But what Gavin doesn't realise is that she has no intention of marrying him, she wants a
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I'm having a very hard time digesting the book, it's short, so I thought it was going to be a fun quick read but by chapter 8, the hero has hit, raped, almost cheated on the woman who is supposed to be the love of his life by the end of the book and they only met on their wedding day.

Just to keep it realistic, no woman, especially a virgin, can be raped then made love to by the same man no less and feel above the clouds in love with the guy. I think the female body and mind works differently in
KatLynne
After doing a re-read, I'm sorry to find The Velvet Promise didn't quite make my original 5 star rating. There were aspects of the heroe's thoughts and actions that took away from my enjoyment.

All in all, still an enjoyable medieval romance featuring four Montgomery Brothers with the spotlight on the oldest brother, Gavin, and his new bride, Judith.

This is an older HR, first published I think in 1981. The version for my re-read was a re-issue in 1991 and includes (view spoiler)
Tasha
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: he-loves-me
First, I struggle to give this two stars because the hero rapes the herione, really, can you do that in a romance where they still end up together? Then there is "the other" women aspect. Which I know for the formula you have to have something that causes a riff and a way for them to come back together but I'm never a fan of it being another woman. Then, back to the rape thing, I know he was suckered by the other woman and didn't really know about the "bedding of a virgin" but really - rather ...more
Jenny
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Célia Loureiro
Ivy H
I enjoyed this a lot many years ago. The heroine was wonderful but the hero had too much of a stupid crush on a very evil woman called Alice. Alice also had bad teeth that the stupid hero never really noticed because the witch had a special way of always hiding her teeth while she smiled. WTF? Correct me if I am wrong but eventually the guy should have noticed right?
The very best thing about this novel is that Alice the OW gets her face disfigured by hot oil. The irony of that situation is that
Valentina Markasović
All of the male protagonists in this series are dicks.
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
15% DNF
I'm weird but not this fucked up. No, thank you.

Hanife
Perry
********** 4 Stars **********

First, a little background: I read this book back in high school and loved it to fervent death. It was my first experience with a proper romance (other than Harlequin Presents) and I fell in love with this epic tale involving knights and ladies and all sorts of sprawling medieval goodness. I was in heaven. Jude Deveraux became my hero and I declared romance my favourite genre. I pulled out pencil and paper and began to write my very first novel (which sucked of
Cc
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,
no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,yes, ha! Threw that one in there to fool you. NO
Natasa
A lot of drama and adventure. It was a bit too much for me. I would have liked a little less drama and a little more character building.
☘Katie☘
Romance is not a genre I usually read-- in fact before this book, I'd only read two romance novels. So, the Romance section in the bookstore is one I've usually avoided. I have no idea why now.... this book was gripping! It has been awhile since I have read a book I couldn't put down and couldn't wait to pick up again to see what happens next!

The characters are wonderfully crafted. I have read others reviews and I have to say-- I have no problem with Gavin. I enjoyed his character immensely. His
Zoe
Because it's such a "classic", I really thought about how I feel about this book. If so many people have loved it, what is it wrong with me that I find it boring?

Maybe it is a phase thing, recently I have found most of the reads to be kind of blah. But let me say this: a book that has the lead characters having great sex (and marital rape no less) before the book hit 18%, while the hero was in love with another woman and our heroine fell in and out of love with the hero all within 2 days. What
Kristine
I liked this book however I could not get myself to like Gavin even a little. Literally. Aside from the love making he was jealous, bullheaded, and irrational. I did not find one redeeming quality in him. I imagine him walking around with a perpetual scowl on his face. Not into this H at all.
Maria Sanigan
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what I want with Miss Jude Deveraux’s novels. At first, a reader would think that it’s cliché and nothing interesting or new will come out of it. At first you’ll extremely want to skip pages only to run from scenes you wouldn't like. Fortunately, as the story goes, you’ll be amazed at how interesting and unique the masterpiece really is. It’s a combination of love, passion, fun, with a great sense of humor, and adventure as well.

Plus, it really is cute to have a stone-hearted man sing a
Splage
I love this kind of story! Had a similar feel to The Black Lyon, which I believe is the first one in the Montgomery series since Ranulf and Lyonene named their child Montgomery, but they must have been way before this time. The only thing mentioned was the Montgomery's had been around for hundreds of years.

The Velvet Promise is about the Montgomery brothers, 4 in total, and I can see from the way they were characterized I will want to read all of their stories. Gavin the oldest Montgomery, he

Sha
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
*2.5 stars*

I'm actually prepared to let the rape go as part of bodice-ripper/historical accuracy/misjudged plot point/whatever. Don't get me wrong; I'm not thrilled by it, but I can understand the context/era and keep reading the story so long as it there is something else in the narrative that's worth it.

This book is compelling in many ways. It has an excellently sociopathic antagonist (I DO love my weaponized-femininity villains), a vividly drawn world full of castles and knights, and a
Willow
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Roub
Mar 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the book was highly entertaining. unfortunately, the hero killed it 4 me,he was no hero. i'm not even sure he redeemed himself the last part but he did suffer enormously, yet even then he cud not face the truth. gavin was madly in love wid his mistress, alice. she held such a special place in his heart dat right 2 the end, he cud not think badly of her. tell me, how can a man still commiserate wid a woman who had as gud as pushed his wife down the stairs!? he still wud not hear bad of her. he ...more
Ashleigh Cartmill
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book was about a 4.5 for me. I love Jude Deveraux and one thing I noticed from reading this book is that she doesn't pull any punches. She doesn't hold back because she's afraid of making the hero less likable or making the reader shy away. And it actually makes the characters in her book even more likable and relatable. Also loved that the King and Queen were the parents of Henry VIII which would only make a Tudor geek like me squeal with fangirl joy.
Janja
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My head is gonna blow up with all that drama..and let's not forget that they have sex like rabbits (all of them)..reading this story was like watching Linda and Alexis Carrington in the 80's :)
But i still liked it and i'll read the next one too .
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Fires of Winter (Haardrad Viking Family, #1)
  • Prisoner of My Desire
  • Hearts Aflame (Haardrad Viking Family, #2)
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
  • Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • So Speaks the Heart
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Honor's Splendour
  • The Wolf and the Dove
  • Saving Grace
  • The Gift (Crown's Spies, #3)
  • Gentle Warrior
  • What Mattered Most
  • The Conqueror (deWarenne Dynasty, #1)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first

Montgomery/Taggert (Publication order) (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert, #1)
  • Highland Velvet (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy #2)
  • Velvet Song (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy  #3)
  • Velvet Angel (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy #4)
  • Twin of Ice (Chandler Twins, #2)
  • Twin of Fire  (Chandler Twins, #1)
  • The Temptress (Montgomery/Taggert, #8)
  • The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert, #9)
  • The Princess (Montgomery/Taggert, #10)
  • The Awakening (Montgomery/Taggert, #11)
“Someday every second you have spent hating will show on your face.” 2 likes