Start by marking “First We Were IV” as Want to Read:

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  507 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
It started for pranks, fun, and forever memories.
A secret society – for the four of us.
The rules: Never lie. Never tell. Love each other.
We made the pledge and danced under the blood moon on the meteorite in the orchard. In the spot we found the dead girl five years earlier. And discovered the ancient drawings way before that.
Nothing could break the four of us apart – I
Published July 25th 2017 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jul 24, 2018
    "Dark, edgy, and wholly unpredictable, Sirowy’s First We Were IV is the wild summer read you need."
    – The Fandom

"For fans of E. Lockhart’s We Were Liar

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 1989 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 10 - Jul 31, 2018

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about First We Were IV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First We Were IV

Lala BooksandLala
    Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
    definitely my favourite book from this author.
    Carrie
    Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Izzie and her three best friends, Vivian, Harry, and Graham, would do anything for one another and have always been on the outside of the social order but have had each other. When they were twelve Izzie, Viv and Graham had found the body of a young girl that had been murdered which drew Harry into the group when he came to investigate what the police and first responders were doing.

Now five years later the memory of that day and the girl Izzie had nicknamed Goldilocks still haunts the friends.
    Mandy
    9/30/16:
    I'm already obsessed with that title - even though it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure it out.

5/18/17:

*I was sent a physical ARC by the publisher Simon & Schuster and Sirowy's publicist for an honest review - thank you so much for sending me over a copy since you were my first and I might have cried a bit XD*

4.5 crowns

The moment that I saw that book was coming out - I knew I had to have it. Um, the title was amazing. The description was amazing. When the cover came out,
    Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
    Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: the-bests
    4,5 “friends to death” stars

WARNING: mystic, sometimes cryptic review ahead. Send your complains to Alexandra Sirowy as it’s her writing that turned me into a zealot reviewer J

First of all I want to thank Alexandra Sirowy for sending this fantastic book. It’s not often that I get a hardcover to review and I’m so damn happy because now I can admire this GORGEOUS cover on my shelves and take as many bookstagrams as I want to.

Second it will be a challenge to review this book without spoiling the
    Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
    RATING: 3.75/5

The four of us met
    Loved one another
    Danced under a blood moon
    Shared our secrets, though too few and too late
    And for a time, together, our friendship was a universe

I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, the writing is gripping and the characters are very interesting. On the other hand, I did not like the ending and I’m having a hard time understanding what was the point of the story.

In this book we follow four best friends: Izzie (our POV), Graham, Viv and Harry. It
    Krysti
    Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    This is the first book of Sirowy's that I've read, and it will definitely not be the last! This book starts with a hint of a mystery, and then leads straight into another mystery. Watching Sirowy weave the two together into one seamless plot-line was fascinating. There's also some elements of horror sprinkled throughout the story that just gave me the chills in the best way.

AND there's a secret society in this book, a secret society run by teenagers that effectively calls out the adult citizens
    Wendy F
    Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2017
    Wow, that book sure left me extremely conflicted.

My problem wasn’t that the book was bad. It wasn’t. The writing and prose as beautifully intricate. The author did a spectacular job of building individuality in the characters, which automatically raises my enjoyment of the book. Characterization, for me, is the most important quality in a story. It’s more important to me than the plot because it’s the characters who bring the emotion and that’s my favorite aspect of reading. It’s because of that
    ❄️Nani❄️
    Son of a B**** the ending F****d me up! Please Excuse my language.
    Vicki
    Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
    Friends watching out for friends, bullies, revenge, secret clubs, family, mystery, twists, things that comprise a good book. I really enjoyed this one for the most part. As with any books that include bullies, there were parts I didn't like and that angered me...introduce Conner...ugh, people like him don't belong on this earth until AFTER they've changed their ways.

First there were IV (beginning with Izzie and Graham, then add Viv and after Harry moves in he joins the group and together they fo
    Asma
    Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
    Kylie
    Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    This book literally broke my heart. From the very first sentence, you know one of the four will die and just getting to know them all so well makes it so hard to say goodbye to one of them. I loved the friendship, I loved the four individually, I love how one thing led to another. But I hated knowing that at the end there would be 3. There were times I would read something and think I may know who didn't make it, but there was never one moment that I knew for sure.
    There were so many mysteries an
    Meekachii
    Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
    I was given an arc copy of this book so I could give you guys my honest review. This book is about a set of four friends that create a group they call, in short, the order. They decide to prank people they think have it coming for their "movement". I don't really want to say much more than that. I have to say that I was really drawn into this book very quickly. There was a lot of mystery and I really liked the way the book was written. There was a great background story for the characters when t ...more
    Emily
    Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
    Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

I'm the worst kind of mystery reader. Generally about halfway through with the story, I get bored and decide to flip to the end to find out who the killer is. I don't know why but i'm usually not capable of reading an entire thriller without KNOWING what is going on. It's always a little disappointing but I can't help myself. I always peek.

Until now!

This book kept my attention until the very end. I never thought to look ahead because I was too involved with wh
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    For some reason, I am getting How to Get Away with Murder vibes and that has me excited.
    Kate
    Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: read-in-2018
    3.75/5stars

TRIGGER WARNING; ANIMAL CRUELTY

That trigger warning is the biggest thing that brought this book down for me - I just cannot fathom the need to hurt animals, even fictional ones, or imagine a scenario where characters should think that its okay.

Other than that, this book was actually very good - honestly, very entertaining, very unique, and kept me wanting to flip the pages. The characters were BEAUTIFULLY developed and I felt like I really knew each and every one of them. The story wa
    Susan
    Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
    I was hoping for a little more creepiness and intrigue from this story. It was about 10% murder mystery, 20% friendship and 70% high school drama, mostly bullying and who likes who kind of stuff. That translates to about 9 hours of teen drama and it was just too much to hold my interest. The mystery was fairly straightforward but I was surprised in the end by the identity of the murderer. A big warning for animal deaths in this story. What's a secret society without ritual animal sacrifice after ...more
    Lee Kelly
    Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    This book absolutely knocked me over. It's classic Alexandra Sirowy, with her unique ability to balance deftly drawn characters and relationships with creepy, twisty, is-it-real-or-supernatural thrills . . . and yet there's something very special and poignant about this one. It's an ode to friendship, a tragedy about trying to stop time - a story about losing people we love slowly and all at once. And it's all wrapped in a deliciously page-turning package.

I struggle to name other books like it.
    Sophie
    Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Make sure to check back in for a full review and a giveaway of the book!!

HERE'S THE LINK FRIENDS -- ENJOY
    Jessica Taylor
    Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Fast-paced, thrilling, and darkly entertaining. Come for the plot twists but revel in the delicious, gorgeous writing. This is my absolute favorite of Alexandra Sirowy’s novels!
    Melissa Robles
    Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
    *This review can also be found on The Reader and the Chef & YA Books Central. Huge thanks to Brittany's Book Tours for the review copy in exchange of my honest opinion.*

Remind me again to never read YA Thrillers at night. First We Were IV is a book that has haunted me for the last few days but I do not regret it AT ALL because it's so GOOD. The mystery, the suspense, the secrets, the ending... GAH! You should definitely read it.

What I Liked:

First of all, I loved how this book captivated me.
    Ivory
    Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
    To tell you the truth, I would only give this book 3 stars. I found it rather dry all the way through. There was really no climatic parts until you got to the end. Sure, you wonder as to who the "killer" was( which, for me, was the only thing that kept me interested). Without giving anything away, it was about a group of teens doing mischievous things in order to get their town to take notice of a murder that had happened 5 years previous. Some things, were a little overboard in my opinion, howe ...more
    Erin Wolak
    After listening to 12:49:00 of this audio book I can absolutely say that this was one of the worst narrated books I've ever come across. I might not have disliked the book as much as I did had it actually been read well instead of in a mostly monotone voice. The story itself was apparently interesting enough that I kept listening even though I didn't care about anything other than finding out who killed Goldilocks and which character died at the beginning (which was technically the ending but wh ...more
    Selene Matheson
    Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
    3.5 Stars

The last .5 star is for the ending.
    Chelsea
    Rating: 2.5
    Kait
    Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    **Originally posted on The Fandom**

Dark, edgy, and wholly unpredictable, Alexandra Sirowy’s First We Were IV is the wild summer read you need. I was sucked in right away thanks to the chaotic prologue and from there, this story presented a full spectrum of emotions smothered in suspense.

Izzie, Viv, Graham, and Harry see themselves as outcasts and are just looking to make their lives a little more memorable before graduation. They’ve been best friends since childhood and senior year means they’
    Amanda
    Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
    The Order, its power, it’s a high. I feel it. But it’s also like this shadow I keep seeing out of the corner of my eye. I turn my head and it’s gone. It’s there. Dark. Waiting.*

It’s senior year, and Izzie, Harry, Graham, and Viv are the center of their universe. Self-made outcasts, they love each other fiercely and defiantly, ignoring the insults of their classmates. As the year begins, fear that their friendship will disintegrate after they go their separate ways begins to burn through Izzie.
    Lauren
    Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2017
    *3.5*

Alexandra Sirowy's First We Were IV is a difficult book to sum up. On one side, I really liked it - it was thrilling, dark, and even a tad bit chilling. The perfect Halloween read. On the other side, some parts just didn't work for me.

So lets start with what worked...
    1) The prologue/flash-foward - Prologues are always a tough sell for me. I like them when they're well done and serve a purpose by either setting the scene or inducing intrigue. I don't like them when they feel unnecessary. H
    Abi
    Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
    Hmmmmmm. There was a lot I liked about the book (the dark writing style, the plot summary, some of the characterization) but something about the storytelling didn't strike me as genuine. I didn't care much about the characters or find their toxic friendships believable. The cult progressed way too abruptly and awkwardly for me to find engaging. The book was an entertaining ride but as a whole, it was a bit underwhelming in face of its massive potential.
    Paige Green
    Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Disclaimer: None, I bought this book on Audible.

Rating: 4/5

Genre: YA Mystery/Thriller

Recommended Age: 16+ (animal sacrifice, murder, romance ((somewhat explicit)), brutal and descriptive death, cult-like group, domestic terrorism, and confusion)

Pages: 448

Author Website

Amazon Link

Synopsis: It started for pranks, fun, and forever memories.
    A secret society – for the four of us.
    The rules: Never lie. Never tell. Love each other.
    We made the pledge and danced under the blood moon on the meteorite in t
    Joana Bookneeders
    Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    * Received this copy from the author and the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you very much! This doesn’t affect the review in any way. My opinions are, as always, my own.*

4.5stars

This was so much better than my expectations! I really love secret societies, they just always make everything seem so interesting and mysterious. It's just fascinating and so I had high expectations for this book. It for sure didn't let me down! This was the first book I read from the au
    Alexandra Sirowy was born and raised in Northern California. She has a graduate degree in International Studies and loves to eat, laugh, travel, read, and go on adventures. She's the author of the YA thrillers THE CREEPING, the Bram Stoker award shortlisted THE TELLING, and her latest, FIRST WE WERE IV. She lives in California with her husband and daughter. Visit her at alexandrasirowy.com.
    More about Alexandra Sirowy

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
    • The Gold-Son
    • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
      $11.99 $2.99
    • Scat
    • Chomp
      $6.99 $1.99
    • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    • I See London, I See France
      $9.99 $1.99
    • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
      $8.99 $2.99
    • Starfish
    • Olive's Ocean
      $6.99 $1.99
    • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
      $3.99 $1.99
    • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    • Little Monsters
    • The Thickety: A Path Begins
      $6.24 $1.99
    • Lost Voices
      $5.99 $2.99
    • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
      $9.99 $1.99
    • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
      $5.99 $1.99
    • Isle of Blood and Stone
    • Train I Ride
      $6.99 $1.99
    • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    • The Mysterious Benedict Society
      $7.99 $2.99
    • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
      $3.99 $1.99
    • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    • Greyhound
    • Annie on My Mind
      $9.99 $1.99
    • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
      $3.99 $0.99
    • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
      $9.99 $2.99
    • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    • Into the Dim
    • Dread Nation
      $9.99 $1.99
    • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
      $7.99 $1.99
    • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
      $4.99 $1.99
    • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
      $4.99 $1.99
    • Crash (Crash, #1)
      $4.24 $1.99
    • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    • Taken (Taken, #1)
    • Ungifted
    • Julie of the Wolves
    • Storm (Elemental, #1)
      $6.99 $1.99
    • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
      $8.99 $1.99
    • Things We Know by Heart
      $9.99 $1.99
    • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
      $3.99 $1.99
    • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    • The Secret of a Heart Note
    • Genesis
      $11.99 $1.99
    • Old Yeller
      $6.99 $1.99
    • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
      $10.99 $1.99
    • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
      $8.99 $1.99
    • Ticker
    • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
    • No Love Allowed
      $7.09 $2.99
    • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)