Start by marking “Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5)” as Want to Read:
Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5)

Quarterdeck

(Kydd Sea Adventures #5)

Kydd must pass a tough examination for his lieutenancy, but aboard the 64-gun Tenacious he faces a more daunting challenge—matching up to the high-born officers, who have spent a lifetime learning to be gentlemen. When Tenacious reaches the colonies, Kydd is caught up in the intrigue surrounding the birth of the American Navy. There, in uncharted waters, quick wits and sup ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by McBooks Press (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Quarterdeck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarterdeck

Linda Barnett
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Julian Stockwin's Kydd series that I have read. I normally don't like to read a series out of order, but this one was offered for free and I wanted to test the waters. The water is fine! I will be purchasing this series from beginning to end.

If you love C. S. Forester and/or O'Brian you will also enjoy Stockwin just as much.
Robin Carter
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The fifth book in a long running series that just seems to get better and better the characters keep growning and flowing with their ever expanding plot lines and movement into the ever larger arena of their times, as they and their careers / fortunes grow so do the scale and power of the troubles they encounter gone is the innocence to the plot a new origionality pervades the whole story and leaves the reader with a shanty lilt to their speech and a roll to their gait.

This book is one of my per
Jason Braida
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It introduced me to an era of North American history that I was not familiar with: The period of the Quasi-War, a period of the Quasi-War between the US and France which saw the establishment of the US Navy under president John Adams. And as a Canadian, the fact that much of the story was set in Halifax and the pre-confederation colonies of British North America was especially interesting to me. Watching Thomas Kydd navigate the transition from naval rating to off ...more
Kory Klimoski
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books are great. They are on the same level as the Patrick Obrien novels. I love the period and I love the topic. Stockwin ensures that the level of detail remains high and story engaging. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.

One of the better audible readers.
Tim
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The unlikely event that a common seaman would be elevated to an officer makes this an interesting read. There are few close calls with his past that could haunt him for some time to come. Overall, a good read.
cliff ackerley
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read,could not put my kindle down. Enjoyed all the descriptive passages

when they were actually sailing.I felt at times that I was on board as maybe a midshipman.Anyway I am now looking forward to the next book.
Mavis Hewitt
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, sea
If you enjoy Patrick O'Brien or the Hornblower series, you should enjoy this series
John Monaghan
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Had a hard time reading the book; I would quickly loose interest as I repeatedly picked it up and tried to finish it.
Larry Fountain
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cracking good story. learned a lot about sailing a square rigger.
Jay Stansbury
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The series just keeps getting better.
The Abibliophobic  Guy
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
At last our intrepid hero has made his step and become a King's Officer. Huzzah! But as we all know, as per naval fiction 'rules', this is not the great thing it's made out to be; he still has to be accepted as a gentlemen, to adapt to the wardroom having served before the mast. This is a tale of Kydd's emergence as a gentleman, and see's the series level out at a top standard of writing: Four Stars.

Plot: Four Stars

****Broad spoliers ahead*****

This plot is all about Kydd finding his feet as a l
Ron
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
“[Knew] I was a wastin’ the years God gave me.”

There’s nothing quite like a rousing sea yarn. And the best seem to come in skeins. Stockwin’s offering distinguishes itself among distinguished company by taking us below the deck to see life as the tars saw it. Not since Two Years Before the Mast: A Sailor's Life at Sea have I read a story the sucked me so thoroughly into life a sea. Like so many others, the Kydd adventures are set in the glory days of the Royal Navy: when, like the Royal Air Forc
Alan
While this is not the first in the Thomas Kydd series of sea faring adventuers, in this instance set just before the start of the Napoleonic Wars, sufficient backstory is provided to keep the reader informed, and Stockwin move things along at a brisk pace. While for some there may not be enough sea battles, or minute of how things operate on a ship, this is a good read for fans of the genre.

Kydd is an exception for his day, a seaman who was press ganged into the navy, and through fortune and har
Jim
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the fifth of the Thomas Kydd sea adventure series by Julian Stockwin. It is, frankly, quite different from the novels that have preceded it. At the beginning of the novel Kydd passes the exam for full Lieutenant and is assigned to HMS Tenacious, a two decker ship of the line. As an officer who has advanced from before the mast, his reception on Tenacious is not eagerly endorsed: the captain attempts to replace him with an officer who comes from gentility; the wardroom barely pays attenti ...more
Bob Rosenbaum
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hornblower, Bolitho, and now Kydd

I started in the middle of this series about a British tar climbing the ladder in the Royal Navy, but will look forward to picking it up from the beginning. It's a tried and true genre, of which I'm a veteran. I struggled on a few tries with Patrick O'Brian, but read every C.S. Forester and Alexander Kent novel years ago. Now I'll look forward to reading my next Julian Stockwin novel about the adventures of Thomas Paine Kydd, pressed into service and rising well
J.
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came back to this series after finding a number of books at a used book store. So plunged back in somewhere in the middle of this series. This was not the strongest entry. The first part is the usual new lieutenant from before the mast fitting into a new wardroom, which is always good in these types of books but after that, not much action. With a number of shorter episodes in North America that really don't have the time to develop into anything too interesting. But, what the heck, it reads w ...more
Hisham1969
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best book in the series so far. Not a lot of action but plenty of nautical stuff. Kydd can be annoyingly whingy at times but I really started to like him in the last few chapters, although his sheer dumb luck got a bit over the top. I'm really looking forwards to the next instalment. One particular episode which I quite enjoyed had me wondering why no one has set a series in early 19th century US Navy yet.
Donald
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful sea tale of early Englishman from a background that he must prove himself in very trying times.

As a sailor of sailboats I always enjoy reading most sea stories and this book kept me tuned in from start to finish. Not all writers I find can do this for me but Julian Hess the ability and I believe if you enjoy sea stories and history you'll love this one. Looking forward to more from this author
Robert C. smith
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Amazing Seafaring Adventure

"Quarterdeck" exemplifies its author's life passion for the sea experienced first-hand and researched beyond recorded historical facts to include real life possibilities. All of that blended in increasingly fast paced adventure makes this one of the best sea novels ever written. Well worth reading.
Kenneth Maddock
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series!

This book, and if he entire series is extremely well-written. Very hard to put down. I have been a huge fan of the C.S. Forrester authored Horatio Hornblower series as well as the Aubry/Maturin series authored by Patrick O'Brian. This series holds its own with both.
Colleen O'grady
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous yarn of a young man, Thomas Kydd, press-ganged into the British Navy during the late 1700s, who rises to Acting Lieutenant and is intrumental in portraying to the brand new Amercian Navy how the British Navy is run. Stockwin has done his ground work well, for he writes of many of the little-known historical facts of life aboard ship in that era
Paul
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book. In my review of book #4, "Mutiny", I said that something lacked in the story. Whatever it was it was made up in this book. Quarterdeck is a very intriguing story. I enjoy how Mr. Stockwin weaves little stories into the overall story. I am very much looking for the next book.
Hank Lengfellner
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book, my first of the Kydd series. As soon as I finished it I looked where I could find more. The author is a master of putting you onto the deck of a 18th Century sood ship under sail. And, a good yarn about why you are there.
Don
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great and salty sea yarn, but...

A good story of 18th century sea life but landlubbers will have difficulty wading through archaic mariners talk nautical terms. The author's research is well represented.
Gordon Chambers
I always like Julian Stockwin's Kidd novels, but I have to say that this one was not as good as some others I have read. However, I am now reading 'Tenacious' which is the next book in the series, and 'Quarterdeck' leads into the story of 'Tenacious' very well. A fairly good read.
Gary S Martin
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

This was the first sea/naval book I've read. Took a while to adjust to the speech of the time period but once I did I really enjoyed the story! Very well written adventure. I couldn't quit reading. I highly recommend this book. You won't be disappointed
Eric
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're into iron men and wooden ships, this series is for you. I've read a bunch of tales about the early British Navy and the detail included on the workings of these sailing vessels in the Kydd sagas is to be applauded. Fun stuff. Enjoy!
Terry Lynn Shroyer
GREAT!

I have always loved books about sailing adventure, and have read other authors books. Irate this as good a read as any of the others. Will read more kydd adventures.
Charlie Shaw
Apr 16, 2016 added it
Shelves: sailing
Not up to C.S,Forrester or Dudley Pope but enjoyable reading.
David
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!

• A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • The Darkening Sea (Richard Bolitho, #22)
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • Take, Burn or Destroy (Charles Hayden, #3)
Julian Stockwin was sent at the age of fourteen to Indefatigable, a tough sea-training school. He joined the Royal Navy at fifteen. He now lives in Devon with his wife Kathy. Julian has written 20 books to date in the Kydd series of historical adventure fiction, the story of one man's journey from pressed man to admiral in the age of fighting sail, and a non-fiction book, 'Stockwin's Maritime Misc ...more

Kydd Sea Adventures (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3)
  • Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4)
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
  • Command (Kydd Sea Adventures, #7)
  • The Admiral's Daughter (Kydd Sea Adventures, #8)
  • The Privateer's Revenge (Kydd Sea Adventures, #9)
  • Invasion (Kydd Sea Adventures, #10)
  • Victory (Kydd Sea Adventures, #11)
“any rational privateer would have long since scuttled southwards until the weather improved. No prize could be boarded in this. By” 0 likes