Start by marking “Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)

Vanish

(Rizzoli & Isles #5)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  53,917 ratings  ·  1,620 reviews
A blessed event becomes a nightmare for pregnant homicide detective Jane Rizzoli when she finds herself on the wrong side of a hostage crisis in this timely and relentless thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of Body Double.
A nameless, beautiful woman appears to be just another corpse in the morgue. An apparent suicide, she lies on a gurney, awaiting the
Published August 29th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published August 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Vanish, please sign up.
Millie I think each story is able to stand alone. You don't need the history in order to follow and enjoy the story. However, it is nice to know the…moreI think each story is able to stand alone. You don't need the history in order to follow and enjoy the story. However, it is nice to know the background just to give it a bit more depth but certainly not necessary to be able to follow the story and totally enjoy it!(less)

·  53,917 ratings  ·  1,620 reviews

Start your review of Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
Buggy
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opening Line: "My name is Mila, and this is my journey."

VANISH is part 5 in the Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles series. I read it as a stand alone however and did just fine, so I can recommend it that way too. I’d also never heard of author Tess Gerritsen before this but will definitely be searching out more from her and this series. I loved her style of writing, the realistic characters, the suspenseful medical based plot and the fast moving thrill of this story as a whole. There were elements
Jean
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vanish, the fifth book in Tess Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series, features events both expected and unexpected. For young Russian girls like Mila, Anja, Olena, and the others, the promise of a new life with freedom and jobs is exciting. They do not expect to be taken across the Mexican border and forced into prostitution. Dr. Maura Isles is about to leave after an exhausting day at the morgue when the unthinkable happens. Later, at the hospital, she witnesses a female patient shoot a security ...more
Jonetta
Late one evening, Maura Isles is closing up the morgue and hears a noise in the cold room, the locker area where the bodies are stored. She locates the unit that’s the source of the noise and the eyes of the woman suddenly open, obviously not a corpse. Maura gets her admitted into the hospital’s emergency department but soon word gets out about the woman’s circumstances. Meanwhile, Jane Rizzoli has finally gone into labor and is admitted in the hospital. When she’s sent to the imaging area for a ...more
Erin
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march-2019, tv-series
Unexpected Read-A-Thon: Read a sequel

Vanish is book 5 in the Rizzoli & Isles series, and it just keeps getting better. The plotline to Vanish is despite being published 13 years ago still very very relevant. Human trafficking of young girls has recently been back in the headlines with the arrest of New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft for purchasing sex from a business involved in Human Trafficking.

Human Trafficking also known as White Slavery is a multi billion dollar business.
Jim
"My name is Mila, and this is my journey."

This story is about different lives that are about to converge in tragedy. The book opens with Mila telling her story. A story about hopes and dreams that are shattered when she finds herself trapped into being a sex slave. Mila introduces us to Olena and other young women who are virtual prisoners.

Dr. Maura Isles is wrapping up her day at the morgue by finishing reports. She goes to check on one of the bodies she had autopsied earlier that day (her
Heidi
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-goal, mysteries
Excellent from start to finish. Hard to review without spoilers but this one was suspenseful, twisty, human and full of complications, both personal and professional. At the heart of this mystery is sex trafficking and the victims who find abuse instead of the American dream.

Maybe it wrapped up a bit too fast and maybe Maura got sidelined for the last third of the book, but the storyline was timely, and both the reader and characters never knew who to trust.

This series just keeps getting
Carolyn
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, thriller
Another brilliant thriller in this excellent series! Maura is shocked to find a live body in her mortuary cold room and Jane finds herself in labour with her first baby and a hostage in a very dangerous situation. Both events are part of a larger conspiracy that will require them to sort out who is involved and who they can trust. As always, good suspense, a great plot, and plenty of action.
Fred
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, re-read
Tess Gerritsen Fans Group Link

A good story with 7 girls on a free "Mexican Tour". They don't know it's going to a whorehouse to "Vanish".

Dr. Maura Isles finds a girl alive in the morgue & is rushed to the hospital. In the hospital, she kills a security guard, takes Det. Jane Rizzoli (9 months pregnant) & captures others. FBI Gabriel Dean (Rizzoli's husband) & Maura find 6 murders relate to the "Mexican Tour" whorehouse. The 7th girl in the morgue & Maura now kidnapped. But it
Michael
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-books
My name is Mila and this is my journey.

I came to this country with great expectations of making a new life for myself. The thought of going overseas to start a new life left me with great joy. I had these great thoughts in my head of having a good job then meeting a handsome man who i would fall in love with and having many friends i could trust. The truth i discovered though was one of horror beyond redemption. One were all my expections were blown apart from lies so savage it left me scared
Alisha Marie
I tend to read Tess Gerritsen books when I feel a reading slump coming on. They're just the perfect books to curb them since they're quick books that have you turning pages at an alarming speed. Anyway, that's why I picked up Vanish. I've been in final project hell and needed something that I would get into right away. While Vanish wasn't my favorite in the Rizzoli and Isles series, it definitely didn't disappoint.

Vanish doesn't so much start off with a bang, but rather a creepy and effective
Storme
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book five. Still a good series. I’m still getting used to the different things between the books and show.

This book starts out with human trafficking and leads to Maura Isles finding a body alive in the morgue. The entire story is very intriguing. I could not stop reading, wanting to know how everything was connected. I’m sad to think I’m almost halfway through this series. If you want a great police procedural with multiple layers, this series is definitely worth the time.
Brenda
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller lovers
My name is Mila, and this is my journey

Homicide Detective Jane Rizzoli was hot, cranky and very pregnant! She was in the witness box with a hostile defendant, one Billy Rollo, whom his female attorney couldn't seem to control. The judge was angry, and after another burst of abuse from the Rollo, he furiously ordered the bailiff to escort him from the court. With a shout of rage, Rollo attacked the bailiff and wrestled him to the floor. Jane heaved herself out of her chair, picked up the
Lewis Weinstein
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
non-stop action from start to finish ... a perfect break from my research reading
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Another good plot in the Rizzoli & Isles series. I'm really enjoying "binge" reading this series.
Carol
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vanish by Tess Gerritsen lives up to my expectations. I have read several of her books but out of order and that never made it difficult with connecting to the story. There is always plenty of suspense to keep me turning the pages and little bits of humor thrown in.

Maura Isles is a Boston Medical Examiner and had unzipped the body bad of a beautiful woman and the woman opens her eyes. This was the start of a very long bad day for Maura, she rushes the woman in for medical treatment.

Mila, a
April Thompson
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This one was a little hard for me to swallow. The things done to the girls in this book, shook me to the core. Another fast paced read though. Kudos to Gerritsen for continuing her outstanding series.
Siobhan
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the first five books this was the one I was looking forward to the most. With Rizzoli as a hostage it seemed as though the book would be brilliant. Whilst it was a great read it wasn’t quite what I was expecting – I really had been expecting something a little bit more.

A lot of people seem to dislike this book as a lot of it comes from the point of view of Special Agent Gabriel Dean. Personally, I rather enjoyed it (as I have a soft spot for the relationship between Dean and Rizzoli) and have
Sandi
Mar 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sandi by: Mary JL Lesch
Let me just start off by saying that I don't read a lot of mystery/thrillers. However, it seems to me that one of the conventions of the genre requires have some sort of cop/detective in a series of books that all stand-alone. (Unlike the fantasy genre in which all the books in a series need to be read in order.) When I'm browsing in the genre, I sometimes get confused as to who the writer is and who the detective is. In the case of "Vanish" by Tess Gerritsen, I think the story would have been ...more
Carrie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this installment in the Rizolli & Isles series a lot more than I did the 4th book. Probably because this time around, Jane Rizolli featured in it more than Maura Isles did. It was a quick and exciting read for me but I'm going to take a little break from this series for a while before I pick up the 6th book.
Emma
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Good, as always. I deducted a point from an otherwise 4 star book for problematic mommy wars issues and for referring to sex slaves as having an occupation. That just really bothered me.
Tiffany PSquared
Audible Audiobook review

Maura Isles and Jane Rizzoli meet up again in a case that has national and international implications. When a body in the morgue is found to actually be alive, Maura and Jane both unwittingly insert themselves in a manhunt that endangers both of their lives.

A twisty story with a few left-field surprises. I love the different perspectives that envelope us into the story immediately. And, as usual, Maura's detailed attention and Jane's confident assertiveness are constants
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The 5th book in the Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen.
This is an excellent series of books that features Jane Rizzoli a police homicide detective and Maura Isles a medical examiner.
The books are very well written and show a very good knowledge of Police procedure. The interaction between the main two characters is very effective and makes very entertaining reading.
Mark
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tremendous beach read here in Fort Meyers...a young women revives in the morgue pulling Rizzoli, Iles & Gabriel Dean into an investigation that seems to be a huge government conspiracy & cover-up...all the while Rizzoli is delivering her 1st child...I'm all out of order in this series, but luckily, they're written in a manner that allows their enjoyment...good stuff!!!
Sandra Bašić
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dobra "stara" Tess!
Gordana Vuckovic-Glusac
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like how each book of Rizzoli & Isles series has different topics and yet all of them (so far) are great thrillers with lot of twists. Can't wait to read the next five books in this series.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This is one of my favorite books in the series - The Keepsake(2008), is my very favorite. Vanish is a memorable story with an intense ending. If you like Vanish, try The Siege by Stephen White. If you liked The Siege, try Vanish by Tess Gerritsen :-) They have similar storylines, both dealing with hostage situations.
Gary
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow at first, but gets increasingly better

This book started off with a somewhat intriguing hook that devolved into a hostage situation. I am not a huge fan of long hostage negotiation stories, so for me this really slowed the book down.
Somewhere beyond halfway through the crisis resolves and the main conflict is (re)introduced. At this point, I felt the plot began to move much more quickly. Gerritsen sometimes seems like one of those authors that writes the ending first and builds to it. Her
Vicky
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it. Thriller for sure.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Jane at hospital
Taken hostage by bad guys
Are they really bad?

Complex and thrilling
Sad thing, human trafficking
Series gets deeper
Book Him Danno
Oct 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Good story and when her water broke in court it was pretty funny, being held hostage was not. The story is well written and interesting. It held my interest to the end.
2-3-4 Challenge: Vanish by Tess Gerritsen (Rizzoli & Isles #5) - July 2018 8 20 Jul 26, 2018 04:14AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 6 4 Jul 17, 2018 03:02PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 5 2 Jul 17, 2018 04:21AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 5 2 Jul 17, 2018 04:18AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 5 2 Jul 17, 2018 04:17AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 7 5 Jul 17, 2018 04:15AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 4 3 Jul 16, 2018 11:59PM

• Devil Bones (Temperance Brennan, #11)
  • Mystic River
  • Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4)
  • Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4)
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Flaskepost fra P (Afdeling Q, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • Cutting for Stone
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • Scarpetta (Kay Scarpetta, #16)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • A Simple Plan
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • When the Devil Holds the Candle (Konrad Sejer, #4)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
“My name is Mila, and this is my journey.
There are so many places where I could begin the story. I could start in the town where I grew up, in Kryvicy, on the banks of the Servac River, in the district of Miadziel. I could begin when I was eight years old, on the day my mother died, or when I was twelve, and my father fell beneath the wheels of the neighbour’s truck. But I think I should begin my story here, in the Mexican desert, so far from my home in Belarus. This is where I lost my innocence. This is where my dreams died.”
7 likes
“She pressed her fingers to the woman’s neck and felt icy skin.
Bending close to the lips, she waited for the whisper of a breath, the faintest puff of air against her cheek.
The corpse opened its eyes.”
5 likes