Start by marking “Olympus” as Want to Read:
Olympus

Olympus

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  356 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
• Olympus is the home of the Greek gods, much like Amravati of the Hindu devas.
• Zeus, leader of Olympians, wields a thunderbolt like Indra, and rides an eagle like Vishnu.
• The feats of the Greek hero Heracles, known to Romans as Hercules, reminded many of Krishna, as did his name, ‘Hari-kula-esha’ or lord of the Hari clan.
• The Greek epic of a husband sailing across t
Published September 20th 2016 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Olympus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olympus

Arun
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite disappointed with this book. I am a die-hard fan of Devdutt's style of conveying complex mythological concepts through simple prose and stories. Coming from a high after reading 99 Thoughts on Ganesha and Myth=Mithya, I expected an engrossing book that attempts to find and describe similarities between Greek and Indian mythology. Unfortunately, this is not explored fully in the book.

Here's an excerpt from the description of this book from Devdutt's own website: "Is there a connection betwe
Wonder Books
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a wonderful book. I am always curious about various mythologies. I have read more than 20 books about various mythologies. My favourites for Hinduism are obviously -books by Devdutt Pattanaik, For Norse Mythology- books by Neil Gaiman, For Sikh Mythology- Books by Kamla K. Kapur etc. But I always wanted to read about the Greek and Egyptian mythology. I found this book by Devdutt Pattanaik and read it. It is such a wonderful book that I fell in love with it. It has described the whole Greek ...more
Vanathi Parthasarathi
A disappointing two and a half star, mainly because the stories are impersonal and seem like answers a kid would write in his exam paper.

Nevertheless a beginning for someone who is totally ignorant of Greek mythology.
Samrat
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olympus is a good read, but it suffers for the annoying introduction. Pattanaik either willfully or ignorantly misunderstands the meaning of the allegory of the cave. His introduction reeks of oversimplification and the arbitrary reframing of all thought into a dichotomy between two forces of sunlight/shadow. His introduction is kind of rubbish that way.

However, the rest of the book does make up for the bad start. He presents the myths of the Greek in an engaging and accessible way, with frequen
Sakshi
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sigh! That is literally how I am feeling while writing this review. I like Devdutt Pattanaik's book because of the kind of research he puts in his work, but this one was something incomprehensible. Too many characters, too many stories. I really wanted to read this book because it was one of the few I had seen on other mythologies by Indian authors which was aimed at common folks like me. But the attempt to connect the Greek with Indian really took it down for me. The connections seemed forced a ...more
Dhananjay Dileep
The book is an interesting mosaic of ideas !!
It touches Greek mythology not in its entirety but manages to make one understand what themes were prevalent in them during those times..
And there are various interesting Indian equivalents drawn which can be substantiated and are left in an open ended state which allows a reader like me to understand it better..
in toto I love it..
Karishma Sahai
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This work on Greek mythology helps you get comfortable with the 'absurdity' of the stories and understand its significance in shaping up of a particular civilization - Greek, Roman, Mesopotamian or Indian. The author has drawn out comparisons with the Indian mythology, wherever possible, thereby, making it relatable to the Indian reader. He has made available just the right amount of information that an average reader can handle and absorb, comprehend the concept of 'chaos and order', rid one of ...more
Swapnil Tembe
Feb 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is what happens when you fall in love with a couple of books written by an author and decide to read them all. After the soul-shaking narratives of Sita and Jaya, one might get the idea that it would be so cool to read about something completely new from this author who is good at narrating mythologies. And Greek myths, they are very intriguing, or so I felt before picking up this book.

This book more or less felt like a scrapbook of sorts, or to be more precise, the introductory part of a
Chiangmong
Despite, or perhaps because of, the highly abridged nature of the stories, the book does not adequately engage the reader. Add to that the highly populated and maddeningly confusing family trees which are the very nature of these stories! Uninitiated and dispassionate readers — if there are any — will find the experience rather bland. Also, the notes remarking on Hindu myths require a fair amount of prior knowledge to actually be of use.
As such, the book will not impress the seasoned student nor
Preethi
An average book which goes on and on about the various characters in Greek mythology in a very droning tone, with no story telling. I didn't really enjoy the parallels drawn to the Hindu mythology from that of the Greeks, the non-obvious ones felt very forced.
Nishanth
This book impresses the readers with nifty design and the way it is told. The pictures in almost every page are very beautiful and convey the story. But the way the book is written is quite boring and makes it difficult to continue. Main reason for this would be the sheer quantity of material that is there in Greek Mythology. There are 8 major characters on which the book is divided. And each characters' part is filled with numerous stories where there are so many minor characters are involved. ...more
Sakshi
‘The Fates make fools of men, display our helplessness, and turn us into tragic heroes, like Oedipus.’

This insight from Greek Mythology comes too late in the book. So as I understand Greek Mythology is about conquests and possessions, heroic deeds and human flaws. Restoring order in chaos, doing your bidding but submitting before what's been prophesized. Finally, fate is a measure of restoring the balance of the universe. This only conclusion is where Indian and Greek mythology perhaps intersect
Rajesh CNB
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewing Greek Mythology and comparing it with Indian Mythology in 290 odd pages is like attempting to cross the ocean in a simple raft. One needs to be quick, resourceful and move ahead instead of many storms. That's what this book does.

There are many parallels between Greek and Indian mythologies many similarities and many differences. Zeus and Indra and surprisingly Heracles and Krishna. Their stories are simply similar. Helen and Sita. The trojan war and Ramayana. The more we think about i
Anila Kopparapu
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I wouldn't say that this is all that much of a great rendition of Greek mythology...nor would I say that the comparisons to the Indian mythology are that great or interesting, for that matter. For one thing - it's too cramped up with too many stories and awfully tiny versions of them all.It makes for an "okay" read that's not too bad...and not too good.

If an extensive elaboration on Greek mythology is what you are looking for, this should not be the book you should perhaps go for. I'm not sure
Anuranjan Roy
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 24-for-2018
More of an encyclopedia than a book, the super short format, used to zip through dozens of Greek mythological characters, just works. Touching upon more than just the famous names, it does justice to a wide variety of complicated characters. Read through from cover to cover to discover gems like the mythical origin of the word 'tantalizing'.

With the author's own uniquely stylish illustrations accompanying the comparison of Greek and Indian myths, the content is eminently readable and well struct
Ganesh Satpute
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldnt-read
Tried to read this book. Read almost 40 odd pages. I had high hopes from this book. There's no flow to the stories. Devdutt just gives random information regarding the gods. Feels like reading lots of wiki pages regarding Greek gods. Then he tries to point out similar gods in Hindu mythology. Sometimes the observation made are obvious, and most of the time they are just forced to look similar. Sometimes, he goes beyond common sense to do so.

Even if the book had some flow would've loved to compl
Anup
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of reading mythical stories. In that regards this book was a treat to me. I have enjoyed reading stories about several Greek heroes and their tragedies. Now I understand the phrase "Greek Tragedy". Devdutt has tried to draw parallels with Indian mythical stories. My only complain with author is that he has tried to cram a lot of stories in a short book. Thus it looks like reading notes for an exam. But nevertheless it is a good book to get a crash course in Greek Mythology.
Rakhi Saxena
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Greek mythology really interests me and that’s why I picked up the book the minute I saw the cover. The author’s research is thorough, but the highly abridged tales do not captivate. The attempt to draw parallels with Indian mythology is sometimes interesting and sometimes far-fetched and unimpressive. The illustrations though are quite good. The book can serve as a good introduction to Greek myths.
Deep M.
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is always a pleasure to read Devdutt Pattnaiksir's any books.Just like his previous adventures,this one is also captivating and one-sit-read book.His efforts to decode Greek mythology and link it with Hindu epics is praiseworthy.Those who don't know much about Greek Mythology,this one is a treat to read.
Happy reading!
Gajendra Singh
The book talks about many historical figures from Greek mythology. It's a pocket rocket, many characters in a very little space. It is very hard to remember names of each character. However, one can easily relate characters from movies such as Troy, Hercules and other movies that are based on Greek mythology. It's a good book start, if you are interested in Greek mythology.
Sandhyarani Sahoo
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Indeed, a good one. It depicts the similarities and differences among Greek, Hindu and Roman mythologies. Kudos to the research of the author. Like any other mythologies, it has too many characters. Sometimes, one may get confused with the characters.
Vaibhav
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Its a primer for Greek Mythology. It provides a good platform for the reader to know about ancient greek mythology and various associated stories. The similarities with Indian Mythology are not very useful. It could have been edited better.
Anurag Shrivastava
One of the books from Devdutt whicj somehow failed to connect...though thoroughly detailed in its research.. The attempt to connect one very piece to Indian mythology seemed to dilute the essence of the original a little for me...
Dev Roy
the narrative that was although intriguing when i read Jaya and Sita, feels a tad boring at times with this one. and the need of cramming more stories cost the quality and the amount of info shared in each of them.
Manoj Kumar
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book that draws parallels between Greek and Indian Mythology. Gives a great perspective of how the two civilizations seem to have fed each other with myths and heroes. A great doorway to Greek mythology.
Hemantkumar Jain
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was interesting but somehow i lost interest soon.

The different mythological characters and stories of their origin, life, death are pretty wierd.
But then, so are stories of Indian mytho characters. Mahabharata is so full of wierd births and deaths.
Aneesh Karkhanis
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
An indian's perspective on the Greek mythology and its relevance in modern times. One of a kind!
Manoj Saha
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful to look at Greek mythology with an Indian gaze and compare similarities and discuss differences.
shashank sourabh
Pedestrian collections of half-baked stories.
Siddarth Gore
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Left this midway. It was very interesting to begin with but the shear number of characters, their backstories and relationships overwhelmed me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Olympus by Devdutt Pattnaik 1 2 Mar 28, 2017 11:24PM
Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik (born December 11, 1970) is an Indian physician turned leadership consultant, mythologist and author whose works focus largely on the areas of myth, mythology, and also management. He has written a number of books related to Hindu mythology, including Myth = Mithya: A Handbook of Hindu Mythology, a novel, The Pregnant King, and Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharat ...more
More about Devdutt Pattanaik