Start by marking “The Gods Are Not to Blame” as Want to Read:
The Gods Are Not to Blame

The Gods Are Not to Blame

The Gods Are Not to Blame is a 1968 play and a 1971 novel by Ola Rotimi. An adaptation of the Greek classic Oedipus Rex, set in an indeterminate period of a Yoruba kingdom, the story centers on Odewale, who is lured into a false sense of security, only to somehow get caught up in a somewhat consanguineous trail of events.
Published January 1st 1971 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about The Gods Are Not to Blame, please sign up.

Anne
I remember when I read this for my African Literature class in high school. After we had finished reading the book, discussion and analysis were the next things up the list of things to do next. And so we did that. The question which was thrown out to us for dissection by our teacher was: Are the gods to blame?
Now this is the part where I tell you exactly why this book is memorable for me. But first, If you know this book: Oedipus Rex, then you already have an idea of what this story is about, i
Adeola
May 30, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: all English student.
The Summary of the Gods are to blame is about boy who was born and was fore seen to end up killing his father as to marry his mother,but he wasn't aware of that fact,until he ended up killing his father in a bush part and married his own mother ,then calamity befell the village ,when he became the king and all his children fell sick at the verge of dieing.
Liz Janet
I am so glad this story was set in a period during the Yoruba Kingdom, because this is the sort of thing that I grew up with, as a Cuban, it is a part of every ethnic group's culture, one of the many things that threads us together. Aside this amazing influence, it was basically Oedipus Rex, with some slight changes. Sadly, I prefer Sophocles' writing much more than Ola Rotimi's. Although his adding of an allegory of colonization and decolonization was a nice bonus, and I did love the ending sce ...more
Esther
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"It is always best to keep your words soft and sweet, you might never know when you'd have to eat them"

Odewale's tragic end might have been saved if only he let go off his pride.
Uche Stella
Nov 27, 2010 marked it as to-read
I believe the problem of man is with man himself.The fact that odewale aided the people of kutuje,was not a prove of leadership mandate.The tragedy that befell kutuje people took its turn after the coronation of odewale as king by either Odewale or the people, without consulting the gods.In our days we make same conclusions when we make people who have helped us come through storms as Lord over our affairs.
Sadiq
a very interesting novel, a story of a man who killed his father and married his mother, this is something which does not happen very often.
Ojo Eunice
The Gods are not to be blame is a story of a mans fate. king odewale who told will kil his father to marry his mother, in his attempt to run away from this to happen, ran to fulfil it. the gods are not to blame, because they have spoken and it is left for the subject to obey. if Gbonka had killed him in the bush as an infant, the curse would have been averted.
Douglas
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i like odewales bravery and hot temper.
Edmund
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it
"The Gods Are Not To Blame" is Ola Rotimi's retelling of Sophocles' "Oedipus The King" using a traditional African setting and characters. It was through this book that I first became acquainted with Oedipus' tale. What really stricks me about this book now is the title Rotimi chose.

Rotimi's tale, like that of Sophocles, is about a man's struggle to avert his fate, and unfortunately, in the process, actually helps to bring about its fulfillment. That is why "The Gods Are Not To Blame."
Victoria
Oct 22, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
that we shld not let our temper let us into other bad things that we are going to regret later in the future because it is going to affect us very badly like Odewale's temper lead him to his grave that should not happen to any reasonable humanbeign who have consience.
Shafaat Abubakar
this book is very interesting i will encourage every one to read it
Bright
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everybody who likes Novels.
Recommended to Bright by: My High School.
This is my most favorite book in my literature class in High School.
Though it portrays the African Traditions, there is a lot to learn from irrespective of whom you are and where you come from. "Kola nut indeed, last longer in the mouth of the one who cherish it".
- From the book 'The Gods are not to Blame.
Ama
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
ola Rotimi's book is very inspiring.i learnt that what we say,do,watch,portray and everything else around us determines our destiny.trully the gods are not to blame for whatever happens.I believe odewale's fate would have been averted if he had stayed with his real parents.
Paul Lothane
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A classical tale (play here) transposed onto African soil, as it were. An ending that really breaks one's heart. As usual with Rotimi, the dialogue is colourful, fecund, brimming with camaraderie or even enmity...a superb work.
Omoropo Odunlade
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANYONE THAT LIKE DRAMA NOVELS
Shelves: booksiveread
I LEARN ONE BASIC DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE AFRICAN TRADITIONAL NORMS AND THAT OF THE WESTERN WORLD WHICH IS AFRICANS BELIEVE THAT ONES DESTINY IS DECIDED BY THE GODS BUT THE WESTERNERS BELIEVE YOU MAKE YOUR OWN DESTINY WHICH I BELIEVE IS TRUE.
Osifade Jide
Aug 31, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: ibkosifade@yahoo.com
i learned that the issue of generation curse is a strong issues
Alice Taiwo
D gods re 2 blamed....
Deprofeci
Jan 18, 2014 marked it as to-read
reading
Machieng Chan
The play is very rich with oral traditions.
Ifeoma
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: african-nigerian
Would have been a five if not that the ending wrenched my heart.
But beautiful, beautiful twists I didn't see coming.
Douglas Castagna
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
My feelings are torn here for reasons of theater only. I am a teacher and have my MFA in playwriting, so I feel strongly that plays are meant to be performed. Few truly transcend to being a great "read" on their own, and I will take some flack for that opinion but I feel that this play would shine on stage, with the costumes and music and dance that are all here in the written word. Perhaps my imagination is not strong enough to see the dimensions, or perhaps too strong. I begin thinking of how ...more
Dickson
WELL AM NEVER GOING TO THINK WITH MY HEART FROM NOW ONWARDS AND THATS A PROMISE
Adam Alkabir
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
its good way if want to improve your level
James Larkpor
Sep 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
i want to read this book in order to learn about my destiny
Abujalaal Olalekan
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i want to read the gods are not to blame by olarotimi
Mercy Ananeh-Frempong
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
The God's are not to blame was a school text book. An African retelling of Oedipus Rex. A fantastic read. This was one of the most re-read and quoted books in my girls boarding school.
Nmayen
May 11, 2010 added it
literature
Betty-Ann
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full of humour and ironies!! But personally I believe the gods are to blame. Once the prophesy was made, Human actions ensured it came to pass!
Selassie Mensah
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
IT WAS A COOL BOOK. I ENJOYED IT SO MUCH THAT I READ IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN!
who is to blame in ola rotimis the gods are not to blame 15 223 Oct 16, 2018 03:39PM
  • You Must Set Forth at Dawn
  • The Blinkards And The Anglo Fanti
  • Head Above Water
  • Can the Subaltern Speak? Postkolonialität und subalterne Artikulation
  • Fela: This Bitch of a Life
  • Fragments (African Writers Series)
  • Harvest of Thorns
  • Strange Encounters
  • AMA
  • In Theory: Classes, Nations, Literatures
  • Neo-Colonialism: The Last Stage of Imperialism
Olawale Gladstone Emmanuel Rotimi, best known as Ola Rotimi (13 April 1938 – 18 August 2000), was one of Nigeria's leading playwrights and theatre directors. He has been called "a complete man of the theatre – an actor, director, choreographer and designer – who created performance spaces, influenced by traditional architectural forms."