Start by marking “Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist” as Want to Read:

At 9 years old, Eugenie Clark developed an unexpected passion for sharks after a visit to the Battery Park Aquarium in New York City. At the time, sharks were seen as mindless killing machines, but Eugenie knew better and set out to prove it. Despite many obstacles in her path, Eugenie was able to study the creatures she loved so much. From her many discoveries to the ...more
40 pages
Published June 1st 2017 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about Shark Lady, please sign up.
Sarah I think this is a great starter book for someone who is interested in learning about Eugenia Clark. The thing that I love about picture book…moreI think this is a great starter book for someone who is interested in learning about Eugenia Clark. The thing that I love about picture book biographies is that they open the door to further discovery for all ages. This book could be read to a younger child by a parent, but is also great as a read-aloud during library time.

Another PB bio is called Swimming With Sharks: The Daring Discoveries of Eugenie Clark by Heather Lang. Both are great books with similar life perspectives.(less)

Start your review of Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist
Mischenko
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this review and learn more about Eugenie Clark, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Shark Lady by Jess Keating is a children's book about Eugenie Clark and how she became an ocean scientist.

We recently read another similar book about Eugenie Clark, but this one is even better. The story starts in her childhood and explains her love for sharks.

What makes this story so great is that everyone told her that her dreams weren't realistic and that she should do something else with her
Schizanthus
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shark Lady is the inspiring true story of Eugenie Clark, who I had never heard of but definitely need to learn more about. In this beautifully illustrated children’s book the reader is taken on a journey from when Eugenie first discovers her love of sharks at the aquarium through to her lifelong study of these magnificent animals, academically and in the field.

Defying the cultural expectations of her gender that said girls were not “smart enough to be scientists or brave enough to explore the
Renégade ♥
5 stars

The first sharks appeared over 400 million years ago. They have survived five major extinctions, including the one that destroyed the dinosaurs!

From the Author's Note:

I wanted to tell Eugenie Clark's story for several reasons.

As a scientist, Eugenie lived an incredible life, full of hard work, passion, and undying curiosity. Through her legacy, she stood up for sharks and in the process, stood up for herself. People assumed that sharks were evil and dumb. They also assumed that little
Lata
Why have I never heard of this fascinating woman before? Eugenie Clark, born in 1922, was enamoured by sharks from an early age, and read everything she could find about these beautiful creatures. That's before completing masters and doctorate degrees in zoology. And going on multiple dives, discovering creatures, publishing numerous articles, and proving sharks are not mindless killers, and they can, in fact, be trained.
Thank you Jess Keating* for writing this terrific biography (aimed at kids)
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Very well done. This book is recommended for grades K to grade 3. It's a beautifully illustrated book about Eugenie Clark, who was nicknamed "the Shark Lady". I loved what the author had to say at the end of the book in the author's note and will add that here, because I feel it important and reflects my own beliefs.

"I wanted to tell Eugenie Clark's story for several reasons. As a scientist, Eugenie lived an incredible life full of hard work, passion, and undying curiosity. Through her legacy,
i fall in love book blog
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually review picture books, but I knewShark Ladywas the perfect book for my family. My oldest son is 7 and mostly reads nonfiction with a heavy emphasis on sharks. His goal is to write a book about sharks and asked for a typewriter last Christmas so that he could start writing his book.

This book is everything we were looking for. Eugenie Clark lived such an inspirational life. What she achieved as a female scientist is incredible considering the mindset regarding women in the workplace
Renée Paule
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found this on Youtube after it had been recommended. What a wonderful woman Eugenie Clark was.
Andrea
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
August 24, 2017: A brief biography of an accomplished marine biologist Eugenie Clark that I'm sure children would find fascinating thanks to interesting subject matter and gorgeous artwork. I wish the author focused on one chosen moment in Eugenie's life to relay her message of merits of scientific curiosity and shark conservation, rather then just briefly skimming through, but it works for the very young readers. I learned a bit too! I had no idea about resting sharks and will need to research ...more
Amy!
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My only complaint about this picture book is that there wasn't space for MORE information about Clark and her adventures and research.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | Empathy Shouldn't Be That Hard To Understand, People.
Jess Keating effortlessly tells the story of Eugenie Clark, the Shark Lady, in this illustrated biography meant for beginning readers. She keeps the story as simple and easy to understand as is possible. It is obvious that Eugenie was a very determined child that grew up to become an equally determined woman. I

Marta Alvarez Miguens did a fantastic job illustrating Shark Lady. There are lots of small details, such as a determined squint of Eugenie’s eyes, which really add to the story being told.
Kate
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Any showcase of the awesome and pioneering Eugenie Clark is fantastic to me — I’ve been a huge fan since seeing a movie about her at my local science museum when I was a kiddo. Excessive nerdery: if Goodreads did half stars, I’d knock a half off for the fact that the majority of the illustrated sharks have 4 gill slits... most shark illustrations default to 3 (incorrect but arguably excusable) even though sharks actually have 5 (or 7), but this illustrator opted for 4, which is both unusual and ...more
Maureen
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Author Jess Keating has done it again! Keating's Shark Lady is the magnificent story of zoologist Dr. Eugenie Clark, who studied sharks and taught us more about them AND women scientists than had been discovered before. Keating has included facts about sharks, as well as a timeline about a fascinating scientist. Shark Lady is a winner!
Elisabeth
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book should be a model for other picture book biographies because this is what I want every single time: cute, imaginative illustrations (loved the fish and whatnot following Eugenie around everywhere), small tidbits from the person's life (I don't need to know everything; this is a picture book), and thorough back matter, including my very favorite--a timeline. In addition to all of this, Shark Lady makes me want to learn more about sharks (which I do not like.) This book is perfect for ...more
Amy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is amazing. The illustrations are beautiful, and Eugenie Clark is now my hero, right up there with astronomer Maria Mitchell. A lot of the sentiments expressed about sharks in this book are right in line with my own. Thank you Jess Keating and Marta Alvarez Miguens for such an inspiring book that I can love and share with my kids.
Kirsten
This nonfiction picture book biography of Eugenie Clark is nothing short of spectacular.
Jeimy
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read if you:

This is a must read if you:

Love sharks
Are interested in marine biology
Enjoy picture book biographies
Enjoy picture books
Want to promote pioneering females
Want to integrate STEM / STEAM into your classroom
Want to encourage a curious child.
Shiloah
The myth that sharks can’t stop swimming or they’ll die was dispelled by Shark Lady. Very interesting story. ...more
Mrs. Krajewski
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new nonfiction favorite at our house! My son, who wants to be a marine biologist, was so inspired by Eugenie Clark.
Baby Bookworm
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Shark Lady: The True Story Of How Eugenie Clark Became The Ocean’s Most Fearless Scientist, written by Jess Keating and illustrated by Marta Álvarez Miguéns, a biography of the pioneering ichthyologist and her dedication to changing the world’s mind about sharks.

When she was a child, there was no place Eugenie would rather be than the aquarium. She spent hours
paula
This book ticks all my boxes for nonfiction except one - no photo of the subject. I believe with all my heart that having that photo in the back seals the deal for kid readers, who have trouble distinguishing between fiction and nonfiction in the first place sometimes.

And besides, there are some VERY excellent photos of Dr. Clark.
Wayne McCoy
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist' by Jess Keating with illustrations by Marta Álvarez Miguéns is a non-fiction picture book about a pretty amazing woman.

When Eugenie Clark was 9, she developed a unique interest in sharks after a visit to an aquarium. She was told they were mindless killing machines, but Eugenie challenged that. She was also told that women weren't good scientists, and she challenged that as well.

It's told and illustrated
Lindsey
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful picture book biography that would make a lovely read aloud.

While Eugenie Clark faced obstacles from racism and sexism in her field, the book focuses more on how she overcame people’s doubt in her subject: sharks. It doesn’t gloss over the problems that exist for a female scientist, but it doesn’t dwell on it. I think the way the book is written certainly brings up the topic so that the reader is aware and may inspire discussion. Mostly it focuses on her love for sharks and her dream
Mississippi Library Commission
No wonder Shark Lady was a pick for the 2018 Amelia Bloomer Top Ten List! The illustrations are engaging and draw the reader into Eugenie Clark's story as much as the text does. Shark Lady is a great primer for research and activism. Prepare to have your young reader championing a new cause, whether it's sharks or something else entirely. The back matter is equally good.
Noor
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book 100 stars I would. This book is a gem with something amazing on each and every page starting on the end pages all the way through to the author’s note and the informational paratextual evidence in the back. This is a book every classroom should have.
Kelly Moore
This is a fascinating, brief book about a scientist I had never heard of before. I like any new shark book, and this one didn't let me down -there are some really cool and unusual shark facts in this one!
Ley
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing person you were, Shark Lady. :)
Sandy
Eugenie love for sharks started at a young age. She began studying them and soon she was fascinated by them. While others were trying to direct Eugenie towards a more female dominate career, she already knew in her heart what she wanted to do. She wanted to study zoology. Discouraged by her college professors, Eugenie dove into her studies and was determined to get the degree she wanted.

With her degree in hand, Eugenie was not finished, for there was work to do. Work that she was very
J.N.
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t believe I’d never heard of Eugenie Clark before. Even though she passed away in 2015, she is one of my new heroes. In this beautifully illustrated picture book, the history of Eugenie Clark and her passion for learning about sharks is explored.

Eugenie made several important discoveries in the name of sharks and how we can better understand them. She considered sharks interesting, beautiful, and important. Eugenie pushed to become a scientist even when others frowned at the idea. Her
Alice
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars Let's start at the illustrations. I love them. They are colorful, and clear and beautiful! I love them!
2nd, I am a sucker for a girl power story! Though Science isn't really my thing and sharks are cool, I am amazed at her drive and desire. "You should be a secretary or a housewife" sure, those are worthwhile endeavors but what if you want to swim with Sharks. I say "YOU GO GIRL!"
I think Eugenie Clark is amazing! I want this book in the hand of every child that thinks "I can never
Jenna (Falling Letters)
This narrative information book describes how Eugenie Clark became fascinated by sharks and overcame sexism to dispel negative myths about sharks. Brightly coloured illustrations portray the wonders Eugenie finds in the ocean in a cute but realistic style. Keating includes shark facts and a timeline of Eugenie’s life at the end. Age 4+.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Dr. Temple Grandin
  • The Brilliant Deep: Rebuilding the World's Coral Reefs: The Story of Ken Nedimyer and the Coral Restoration Foundation (Environmental Science for Kids, The Environment and You for Kids, Conservation for Kids)
  • Swimming with Sharks: The Daring Discoveries of Eugenie Clark
  • If Sharks Disappeared
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau (Books of Discovery for Creative Kids Contruction Fort Books)
  • The World Is Not a Rectangle: A Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid
  • Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World
  • Maya Lin: Artist-Architect of Light and Lines
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • Jabari Jumps
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
Find her on Twitter @Jess_Keating and on Instagram @JessKeatingBooks!

As a zoologist, author, and illustrator, Jess Keating has been sprayed by skunks, bitten by crocodiles, and victim to the dreaded papercut. Her books blend science, humor, creativity, and adventure, and include the acclaimed My Life is a Zoo middle grade trilogy, the picture book biography, Shark Lady, and the award-winning World