Start by marking “The Dance of the Violin” as Want to Read:

The Dance of the Violin

As a young student of the violin, Joshua Bell learns about an international competition to be held in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He chooses a piece of music, which his teacher suggests may be too difficult, but Joshua is determined. It’s a piece of music he loves. At the competition, Joshua experiences the usual jitters. Once his name is called, he strides to the stage and begin ...more
Published March 14th 2017 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dance of the Violin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dance of the Violin

Gloria
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Absolutely love this book about violinist Joshua Bell as a young boy learning to play and then participating in his first violin competition! Lovely lighthearted illustrations and wonderful --and necessary-- message about the power of music to tell stories and the power of starting over after making a mistake. Highly recommended!
Laura (Book Scrounger)
If you're not already familiar with violinist Joshua Bell, but think his name sounds familiar, it might be because of an interesting experiment he participated in about ten years ago, which involved playing his $3.5 million violin in a crowded subway station to see how many people would stop and listen. The Washington Post has more about that here.

But that's not what this book is about -- The Dance of the Violin is about Joshua as a young boy, and the story focuses on his decision to play a very
Tracie
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book: The Dance of the Violin
Author: Kathy Stinson
Publisher: Annick Press
Genre: Children’s Fiction/Picture Books
Publication Date: March 14, 2017
Rating: Image result for five starsImage result for dance of the violin kathy

*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a copy of this in exchange for my honest review*

My Thoughts:
This is the description published (because mine would NOT do this book justice :p)

“As a young student of the violin, Joshua Bell learns about an international competition to be held in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He chooses a piece of
Rachel
Stinson and Petričić return to deliver another glorious story about true life violin player Joshua Bell, this time describing his introduction to this art. When Joshua was young he discovered a passion for playing music. It didn’t matter what it was, he would bang on pots, and ring anything with a tone. Then his parents gave him a violin, and his talent and love for music only soared. He could see a story in the things he played, and he was good at showing others what he saw through what he play ...more
Linda Lou
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 4-8
Shelves: children-5-8
By Kathy Stinson
Illustrations by Dusan Petricic
Rating 5
This is a wonderful story based upon the life of Joshua Bell, a world renown violinist and conductor. It portrays a young boy who so loves music that he has pictures in his head when he plays. It is about practicing diligently and commitment. I think I liked the story because it was an biography, of sorts, of a famous violinist; but it was more than that. It portrayed a very important life lesson: You aren’t alway goin
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
**This book was reviewed via Netgalley**

Dance of the Violin tells the story of young Joshua Bell, how he began learning the violin, and his first competition performance. This is a little tale of persistence, patience, and above all, a joyful love of playing the violin. Young Joshua is excited at the prospect of participating in an upcoming competition. He chooses an ambitious piece to learn, for a violinist so young. This piece is Lalo’s Symphonie Espagnole, a piece difficult to master at any a
Stephanie (ITakePicturesOfBooks)
~Disclaimer~
I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book, or the content of my review.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joshua loved playing music. At a young age his parents bought him a violin. One day he learns of a competition and the price is playing with an orchestra. He must compete. He chooses a very difficult song that even his teacher thinks may be too hard for him. But
Wayne McCoy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'The Dance of the Violin' by Kathy Stinson with illustrations by Dušan Petričić is a read aloud story adapted from the life of famed violin player Joshua Bell.

The story starts with a young Joshua who loved making all kinds of music on all kinds of things, like cardboard tubes and bicycle bells. When his parents bought him a violin, the journey began. I love the image of a star over the young child's head representing learning the song 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.' When he gets older, he learn
Vidya Tiru
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Music inspires; it transports you to a different world. This book portrays that with playful illustrations that seem to dance across the pages with grace and energy. The words dance right along with them all the while telling a wonderful, inspiring story. A piece of music speaks to Joshua, with visions of dancers when he sees the notes, and though he is told that this is hard, he works hard at it and learns the piece to play in a competition. His perseverance and his passion shine through, even ...more
Melissa
I chose this simply on the title, as a violist myself. So I was delighted halfway through to realize this is based on the childhood of renowned violinist, Joshua Bell! This was such a great story for children in general, but definitely for those pursuing music - that hard work and practice pays off, that if you make a mistake just keep going, and especially about the magical quality playing music can have. I loved the charming illustrations, in particular the colorful way they interpreted the mu ...more
Daniela
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gorgeous, gorgeous book. Based on the childhood of musician Joshua Bell, this beautifully illustrated book tells of his love of music and first violin competion. It is a story of resilience, passion and creativity. There are many accessible similies which makes some of the trickier music based vocabulary more visual for the younger reader.
Joan Marie
Love the lesson taught here. Though talented musicians can make their instruments dance, they, too, can make mistakes while on stage in concert. What makes them remarkable is that they overcome their mistakes by letting their love of the art carry them on. Based on the true story of the classical violinist, Joshua Bell. Inspirational for sure.
Raven Black
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked that the boy in the story (spoiler) did no win his competition. The fact he made a mistake and (because he didn't know otherwise) just asked to start over is an interesting idea. The idea of making mistakes and "getting a do-over" is tricky. I think it was handled well. The fact that it is based all on a true story makes it more interesting.
Mr. Canning
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a neat biographical tale of one Joshua Bell. He is an accomplished violinist with world renown. This story tells how he started as a violinist and how he really messed up at his first performance in his life. It is a great comeback story. I especially like how the illustrator draws the mood and tembo of the music using colored, swirling lines.
Melissa Mcavoy
3 1/2 stars. A young Joshua Bell enters a music contest and must overcome a mistake. I found the end note confusing when it referred to Bell “going on to win plenty of other competitions though, including this one the very next year.” No other competition is mentioned.
Tryan the Bookwyrm
A beautiful, colourful book about perseverance and trying again despite a mistake. The artwork representing the music is sweeping and expressive. The story is based on a true event from Joshua Bell's life.
Catherine Petrini
Charming picture book about how violinist Joshua Bell got his start as a musician when he was a small child. Sweet, simple illustrations enhance the text.

My only suggestion would be a page at the end with some biographical details to add more information and ground the story.
Luisa Knight
Oh, I was really liking it ... but abruptly, it ended. I think it would have felt like a complete story with just two more pages.

Ages: 5 - 8
Rhea
The story was interesting and great for a mid to upper elementary music classroom, but the ending felt abrupt.
Steph
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buying this for my music teacher hubby right away! Beautiful true story of Josh Bell... but very understandable and enjoyable for kids!
Karen Arendt
An excellent choice to demonstrate perseverance.
Theme: perseverance
BreAnna (Bre'sBooks)
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this apart from the abrupt ending.
Stephanie
Beautiful picture book based on a true story in the life of musician Joshua Bell.
Cat Fithian
Joshua Bell story, how to persevere after a mistake, seeing the beauty in music.
Steve
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 1.5 picked this book. It is sweet. It goes with Zin, Zin, the Violin! Not sure how much she gets but the drawings are suggestive. Went on YouTube and watched Joshua Bell a bit.
Caitlyn Hunt
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a cute book with a great message for kids.
Marcia Steeves
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic story and illustrations are beautiful
Christine,
Joshua loves making music, even with everyday household items. His parents feed into his passion, buying Joshua a violin. Deciding that he wants to play a difficult piece in a Kalamazoo competition, Joshua practices with his teacher to perfect his performance. Joshua chooses this song because he can hear, see, and feel its captivating story. Once at the competition, Joshua stumbles on his first try, tumbling an imaginary dancer onto her face. The piece falls flat. Not yet defeated and determined ...more
Cat
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I did not know who this book was about going into it, but now I must find some music about the subject.

The artwork at first worried me...I didn't love it. It seemed all over the place, but once I finished the book I realized that the art, to me, was apart of the story. It expressed the emotions and tale in itself.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kathy Stinson, author of internationally acclaimed Canadian children's classic, Red is Best and the TD Award Winner, The Man with the Violin, also writes novels, short stories, and nonfiction for young people of all ages.