Start by marking “From Ant to Eagle” as Want to Read:
From Ant to Eagle

From Ant to Eagle

Published April 1st 2017 by Central Avenue Publishing

To ask other readers questions about From Ant to Eagle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Ant to Eagle

Start your review of From Ant to Eagle
Deanna
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

FROM ANT TO EAGLE is novel for children ages ten and up. The author is a pediatrician and based this novel on some of his experiences working in the pediatric oncology unit.

Calvin Sinclair is 11 years old and tells us this is a story about his brother, six-year-old, Sammy.

He wants us to know that he loved his brother. Like any other brother he picked on Sammy, but deep down of course he loved him. The second thing he wants
Always Pouting
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The summer before sixth grade Calvin meets Aleta and he is instantly smitten. Since moving from London Calvin has had less to do, having to spend most of his days with his little brother Sammy. Now with Aleta around though Calvin begins to spend less time with Sammy, sneaking away in the mornings and leaving Sammy with 'missions' to complete to keep him occupied. Sammy spends the summer trying to dunk 100 basketballs in one day, to try and make Calvin happy and complete his 'mission', but ...more
Jacob the Bookworm

This book shattered me. This is only the second novel I have ever read in one day, the first being A List of Cages by Robin Roe. This book is heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, and awe-inspiring. Mr. Lyttle's background with pediatrics helped make this novel even more realistic, which was good and bad. Good because it made it easier to read, but bad because it made it even more heart-breaking.

Cal,
Wendi Lee
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a heartbreaking middle grade novel about six year old Sam and eleven year old Calvin. Cal's your typical tween - he wants to watch TV, ride his bike with the mysterious new girl, and avoid spending time with his little brother. He most certainly isn't concerned about Sam, who's feeling left behind yet too sick to do much about it. But when the summer ends, and Sammy is diagnosed with cancer, Cal becomes obsessed with making amends.

So many tears! I loved both boys, as well as Oliver, the
Misty
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The only thing worse than dying is living without hope."

I'm still clutching at the tightness in my chest. This book was so personal. I had to stop a few times due to the blurred vision brought on by the never-ending stream of tears.
This book evoked so many emotions; I laughed, I shook my head in bewilderment, and I bawled.
Narrated by 11-year-old Cal whose brother is battling cancer; Cal gives insight on the effect cancer has on siblings and loved ones. Most importantly, it’s about life and
Candice
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book in just a few hours. I loved Cal and Sammy and their very common brotherly relationship. As the older brother, Cal is having a hard time doing things without his little brother tagging along and when a pretty new girl moves into the neighborhood, he ditches his little brother to hang out with her.

Seemingly out of no where, Sammy becomes very ill and is hospitalized. The diagnosis: CANCER. This is the story of the guilt of the "healthy" family members and a young brothers
Tara Bourque
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
This book is extremely well written and pulls you right in alongside two young brothers and their summertime adventures. After finishing the book I found myself waking up and wondering what adventure Cal would get up to next, only to realize the book was done.
The topic of the book: cancer. It is hard to write about illness and not have there be tears; no worries, there are tears from this book but there are also many smiles and laughs! As an individual living with a genetic, fatal disease the
Vera
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
"The only thing worse than dying is living without hope." Ik lig even heartbroken op de grond, brb.
Clare
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sharon
Central Avenue Publishing and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of From Ant to Eagle. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Calvin Sinclair, age 11, loves his 6 year old brother Sammy, but is tired of being his constant companion. Having just moved to a new area, the brothers only have each other to provide entertainment. Calvin passes the time by making his brother do a series of tasks, under the guise of having him reach Calvin's level. When
Kelly
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ebook
All.the.feels.

I picked this book up mainly because I liked the cover and because of this sentence:

This book turned out to be so much more than just a good cover and a catchy oneliner. I didn't see this one coming. I honestly can't recommend this book enough if you're even slightly into books like The Fault in Our Stars by John Green or All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven.

All the stars for this
Keira
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! One of the best books I've read so far. The amount of emotion put into this book is amazing. Sammy is such an adorable character and Cal is a very good brother. If/when you read this, be prepared for the emotions because I know I was definitely not prepared. I could not tell you how fantastic this book is so you are going to have to read it. I highly recommend this.
steph
Well I cried.

(It was my fault. I should have read the reviews first before going in blindly and getting all emotionally attached to Calvin, Sammy and all the other characters)
Bonnie Plante
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This book. Wow. I loved it from the very first page. What is it? It's a story of love and loss, family and friendship and finding the strength to move forward in the face of heartbreak. And it is a wonderful, sweet, important reminder that adults are not always the wisest people in the room. Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this amazing book.
Lana Shupe
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't begin this book with a big supply of tissues available. Such a heartfelt and heartwarming story about two brothers and how they cope with a death in the family. Alex Lyttle's debut novel has left me with a hole in my heart. His writing is so well-intentioned and meaningful. I know that he has put so very much of himself into this book. A tough emotional read, but certainly a read I highly recommend.
Karin
NB I read this because it is largely set in London, Ontario.

Calvin Sinclair, age 11, has been bored to tears since they moved from London to a small town, and is tired of having to entertain his younger brother, Sammy. He makes a new friend and starts ignoring Sammy. Sammy, on the other hand, is having a tough summer with one illness after another. After Sammy receives a diagnosis, the rest of the book is largely set in a hospital in London.

Lyttle is a pediatrician, and wrote this middle-grades
Darlene Foster
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A poignant story about love, loss, family and friendships that will tug at your heartstrings long after you close the book.
Dorothy Minor
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ant To Eagle by Alex Lyttle opens in the summer of Cal’s eleventh year. Cal is bored and lonely with only his six-year-old brother Sammy as his companion since their parents have moved the family from London, Ontario, to the small town of Huxbury, a farming community. The boys are further isolated because the family lives in a farmhouse outside of the village. Cal does not know it, but that summer will change the family’s life forever.
Cal, as the big brother, loves Sammy; still, Cal cannot help
Alyssa
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this book--if that's the right word for it? It kept me reading, and at times I smiled or had tears in my eyes... or both. The vibe was a bit BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA in a few places, which I liked a lot.

This book does a good job of exploring how illness affects the loved ones around the ill person. I think it would be a great resource for kids dealing with a friend or sibling's sickness--or friends who want to understand what their peers in houses of illness are going through.
Colleen
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK. The author takes a sad, typically sappy, and almost cliche topic but makes it realistic, humorous, and poignant: he doesn't take away any of the emotions. The realism IMO, is what strengthens its emotional moments and takes away from the Hallmark sappy factor. A lot of this book reminded me of my childhood; as the oldest, I too made up things like Cal's "levels" to entertain my siblings/keep them busy. It's such a cute and innocent element of the brothers' relationship. ...more
Patrycja
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through GoodReads giveaway.

I read this novel in one sitting, with box of tissues next to me. Alex Lyttle wrote exceptional story about grief and cancer, about brother's love, the effect the illness has on family members. "The only thing worse than dying is living without hope".
This story is very realistic and touching. It is told from point of view of eleven years old boy Cal.

I love this novel, even though it made my heart cry. It is so well written.
As you read you will go
Ashley
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hannah
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Check out my review on my blog https://hannahreads132.wordpress.com

My name is Calvin Sinclair. I’m eleven years old and I have a confession. I killed my brother.

Why did I pick this book up?
That line! And the cover is so beautiful.

Thoughts:
This book was gorgeous. It’s told from the point of view of Calvin, an 11 year old boy, during the summer holidays during which time he makes a new friend much to the upset of Calvin’s younger brother Sammy.

This book is powerful, it’s a slow burn with some
Kelly Hager
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cal killed his little brother, Sammy. That's the first thing we learn in this book. Soon, we learn there's a lot more to it than that, but it's important to know that going in. This is a great book, but it's also a sad one.

It's easy to tell that Cal loves Sammy and that he's a good big brother. But he wants to spend his summer with Aleta (a new girl) and most of the time, nothing would happen because of it. But Sammy feels left out and then he gets sick. There's no correlation, of course, but
Debbie Tanner
This is a very sad book about a boy named Cal and his little brother Sammy. Cal tells readers on the first page that he believes that he killed Sammy and so it isn't really a spoiler that Sammy dies. What is interesting is how the author takes you there. He was great at building the back story of Cal and Sammy and Cal's new friend Aleta. He also does a great job of showing how different families deal,with death. I liked it a lot, even if it was really sad.
Alexandra
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this with my dad. I liked it because it shows me not to take anyone for granted. And that something bad can happen to anyone. I like the part where Oliver tells Cal that he's going to go home, even though he is scared. I also like the Secret Spot and I wish I had one to go to with my friends. This book made me both sad and happy.
Angie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: "My name is Calvin Sinclair, I'm eleven years old and I have a confession… ...I killed my brother.

It's the summer before grade six and Calvin Sinclair is bored to tears. He’s recently moved from a big city to a small town and there's nothing to do. It’s hot, he has no friends and the only kid around is his six-year-old brother, Sammy, who can barely throw a basketball as high as the hoop. Cal occupies his time by getting his brother to do almost anything: from collecting ants to doing
Deirdre Wilson
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I simply loved this book. I understand the age, grade 6, that the author really had to use to narrate this, but this is by no means a young, young adult book. Highly recommend.
Ashley
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I'm speechless. What an utterly powerful and heart wrenching story of a young boy who's brother develops cancer. Difficult to read at times, but very well written and so full of emotion.
Jo
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got this for my almost 11-year old grand-daughter but read it before giving it to her. This books deals with death, cancer and the emotions of an 11 and 6 year old. Our daughter died of cancer 2 years ago and was not sure if she should read it--but have decided that she is mature enough. A really good read for adults also.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Play Book Tag: From Ant to Eagle by Alex Lyttle 3.4 stars 5 17 Jul 13, 2019 03:22PM

• The Griffin of Darkwood
  • Ebb and Flow
  • Mine!
  • Clutch
  • The Tiny Hero of Ferny Creek Library
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Missing Mike
  • Chase (Chase #1)
  • A True Home (Heartwood Hotel, #1)
  • Restart
  • Letters to a Prisoner
  • Falcon Wild
  • Hawk
Alex Lyttle is a pediatrician living in Calgary, Alberta with his wife and four children. He was raised in London, Ontario - the setting of his first novel, From Ant to Eagle, which he wrote based on his experiences working in the Pediatric Oncology unit. When he is not working, writing or playing basketball, he enjoys learning new magic tricks to perform for his young patients.