Start by marking “The Secret Admirer Romance Collection” as Want to Read:

The Secret Admirer Romance Collection

Declaring one’s love can be hard—even risky—especially when faced with some of life’s greatest challenges. Separated by class, time, distance, and more, some loves must remain secret until the time is right. Instead, notes of affection, acts of kindness, gifts of admiration, and lots of prayer are circulated. From New England mansions to homestead hovels, love is quietly b ...more
Published May 1st 2017 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Admirer Romance Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Admirer Romance Collection

Start your review of The Secret Admirer Romance Collection
Marlene
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, anthology, 2017, arc
The Secret Admirer Romance Collection (2017, Barbour) is approximately 25th in Barbour’s Love & Romance Collections series. The cover asks, “Can Concealed Love Be Revealed in 9 Historical Novellas?” Whether this is the subtitle (as Goodreads indicates) or merely a question posed on the cover, I think it would have been better to simply note “Nine historical novellas by nine authors” or something like that. I chose to read this book because I was looking for two Kindle books with authors whose l ...more
Amy
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Admirer Romance Collection: Can Concealed Love Be Revealed in 9 Historical Novellas? is a historical collection of nine wonderful stories. These stories include:
The Cost of a Heart by Amanda Barratt
Beside Still Waters by Becca Whitham
The Princess of Polecat Creek by Kathleen Y’Barbo
Love from Afar by Penny Zeller
This
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
The Secret Admirer Romance Collection
A wonderful group of authors gathered together to write this collection of Novellas. Each story is an independent, stand-alone story tied together with the theme of a secret admirer.
My personal two standout favorites in this collection are “Love in Store” by Anita Mae Draper. Janet & Adam’s story stood out to me because of the characters and their personal struggle. Free-spirited Janet grew up without a mother, sheltered by her older brothers. Adam hides a w
Michele Benchouk
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nine stories in this collection which I received free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review; thank you Netgalley! Each novella is reviewed below. Overall, an enjoyable read and worth the time. I agree with others in that it gets repetitive in some ways. Perhaps nine stories in one is too many. But for readers of sweet historical romance, this set fits the bill.

The Cost of a Heart by Amanda Barratt -- This story was a sweet, historical rendition of attraction between a newly-widowed in
Nicole Normand
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from NetGalley; this is my honest opinion.
From the start, the stories all fell off one stars for editing. When you get many authors put together to write about the same theme, you get all kinds of different genre or direction of a story. These are all inspirational but some authors push it too far as if they needed the extra words to reach their quota by putting full-length prayers or verses as fillers. I would have liked to have the synopsis of the story before each.
1. Th
Karen R
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful collection of new romantic novellas with a wide variety of people and settings. Ranging from the 1860's to early 1900's, in New York and Boston to Kansas and Montana, with the elite rich to the working poor. Fun scenarios created by one person having a crush on another, but not knowing how to overcome a barrier, sometimes class, or past mistakes, shyness or family differences. Many of these would make good full-length novels!

I enjoyed them all, especially the ones with the gentleme
Becky
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When you collect nine authors who tell nine stories, you get some of the same kinds of stories, but all from a different perspective, and all have the right length to allow you to get away for an hour in the afternoon and escape the real world.

The problem with this format of reading is that the authors. who are ultimately qualified to write these stories, are hamstrung by the length of the narrative. Few authors are able to develop a plot as well as the personalities that populate the plot.

Barb
Momof5boys
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
nine novellas which share a theme of secret admirers.
Martina
Thank you to the publisher and to Netgalley for sending me an ARC.

The Cost of a Heart by Amanda Barratt: 2⚝
The Outcast’s Redemption by Jennifer Uhlarik: 4.5⚝
Beside Still Waters by Becca Whitham: 2.5⚝
The Princess of Polecat Creek by Kathleen Y’Barbo: 1.5⚝
Love from Afar by Penny Zeller: 3.5⚝

In realtà ho letto questa raccolta per un semplice equivoco:
Melissa
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was interesting mix of novellas with a secret admirer theme. I liked all of them some more than others.

The Cost of a Heart. It was okay. A story about socialite and her chauffeur after her husbands death. I would give it 2 stars individually. There was nothing about it that grabbed me.

The Advocate. I really liked this story. I liked the story line and the characters. It had humor and romance and I enjoyed the western setting. I would give this story 3.5 stars.

Too Many Secrets, was probabl
MJSH
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
It's always hard to read a collection of novellas written by multiple authors and review it. Barbour Publishing and the authors usually do a good job of holding the theme of the novellas together and generating a collection worth reading.

All the featured authors in this collection are new to me. I particularly enjoyed Beside Still Waters by Whitham and Love From Afar by Zeller. Both short stories were well-written and the characters were well-defined and well-portrayed. Both storylines carried
Deanne Patterson
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Oh my! What an absolute delight it was to read The Secret Admirer Romance Collection! This is a collection of short stories by 9 Christian fiction authors. What I love about the stories is that they are clean christian fiction and I don't have to worry about hiding what I am reading when my younger children come into the room. I even approve of my teens reading these stories. I love that I can read as much or as little at a time as I want to with these shorter stories yet that they are full stor ...more
Tina
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Admirer Romance Collection
This is a fun set of historical stories that take place in the late eighteen hundreds. Each has their own whimsical air that allows for smiles and a few happy tears. I enjoyed reading them and discovering love with nine different couples.
The first story is The Cost of a Heart by Amanda Barratt. In this story, Nathaniel Evans, chauffeur to Lily Montgomery, knows that they can never be together because they are of two different social classes. However, he has
Beverly
Instead of reviewing a whole collection of stories, those within this book, I have chosen to review one of the many stories. This one is by Molly Noble Bull. I have read all the other stories in this collection and found them delightful, fun, as varied as you can get in a collection, and purposeful. I highly recommend this whole book. I enjoyed being able to sit down and in one setting finish a short story or novella.

Too Many Secrets, by Molly Noble Bull is a short story; and short stories, jus
Carol
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Admirer Romance Collection is a book that makes you want to cuddle up on a couch or a window seat, boil a nice big cup of hot chocolate and spray a ton of whip cream on top and cuddle up next to your cuddliest pillow, teddy bear, boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse and start reading these touching, historical romances - each one - believe me or not - better than the other. There are 9 stories that set my heart aback. I was so absorbed in the reading I didn't hear my phone go off - now tha ...more
Annette Bower
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The stories in these nine novellas show the heroes’ and heroines’ faith in a higher power guiding them to find their true love.
In Love in Store by Anita Mae Draper, set in Miles City, Montana, 1890, the author’s focus is on Adam, the hero, finding forgiveness for himself.
Janet, the heroine, is drawn to Adam, although she doesn’t understand the reasons, she places her trust in her belief that God is guiding her actions.
After Adam changes his hardware store's name to 'The Emporium' and includes
Andrea
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!
I very much enjoyed this collection of nine historical romance novellas. I loved the secret admirer aspect of these stories. I liked the unpredictability of who the secret admirer was too, it wasn't always a main character.
I don't feel the need to give a synopsis or even to review each novella in this collection. They are all good! I was excited to read this collection as it was written by some of my favorite authors as well as some new to me authors.

Rebekah
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the themed romance collections much more than the common setting romance collections. With the theme Secret Admirer, I really like how there were so many different takes on the same idea! Made me feel for those shy people! And I liked that they were not your normal storybook stories. Seemed more real maybe? Of course I was also glad it always worked out for the couples, I mean who hasn't secretly admired someone? Great stories!
Cat
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmmm...nope. Another one that is not for me. It's a different take on romance stories, so I suppose it will have it's fans. This has a more Christian bent to it, so it's a safe one for younger women. Nothing scandalous , just nice historic, chaste love.
Julynn
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed most of the novellas in this collection. There were a few (Too many secrets especially) that I did not. Sweet stories that were fun to read.
Marvy Herrera
Wonderful collection!. If you like historical romance(like myself). This is a must read.
Oluwatosin
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved the book. I really liked The Cost of a Heart by Amanda Barratt and The Last Letter by CJ Dunham I loved the last letter because it was different, unlike all the other books hers was written from a one point perspective not from the perspective of both, not to say that I don't like it written from both perspectives either but sometimes the mystery of who the heroine will end up with is lost as soon as we see things from the man's perspective.
Individual ratings :
The Cost of a Hear
Madi's Musings
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this collection immensely, and it definitely earned all 5 stars! Below are my ratings for the individual novellas:

The Cost of a Heart- Amanda Barratt ~ 3.5 stars
Beside Still Waters - Becca Whitman ~ 4 stars
The Princess of Polecat Creek - Kathleen Y'Barbo ~ 2 stars
Love
Lillie
Although I generally read contemporary romance, I enjoy Western historicals from time to time. This collection gave me a great Western fix and introduced me to some new authors as well as giving me a chance to read some of my favorites.

The common threads--besides being historical novellas--were the secret admirer theme and the Christian perspective.

Some were more obviously Christian than others, but I appreciate that all have a faith basis. I also enjoy secret admirer stories, so that aspect m
Psusan
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Admirer Romance Collectionis an entertaining anthology of short stories by Amanda Barratt, Lorraine Beatty, Molly Noble Bull, Anita Mae Draper, CJ Dunham, Jennifer Uhlarik, Becca Whitham, Kathleen Y'Barbo, and Penny Zeller. I have said this before but find this to be a wonderful way to try out new authors’ work. There is sure to be something for everyone.

Each story takes you back in time to a period where life may have been simpler but love was just as complex. The titles are as foll
Dana
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, totally enjoyed Too Many Secrets by Molly Bull. I wished more writers would include Christian believers as the characters in books. The romance was sweet and the story kept you wishing the two would be together. Thank you Molly for and enjoyable read!
JoAnn
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An awesome collection of nine inspirational, historical novellas. I enjoyed each of the stories and found them to be well written. I recommend this collection. I received an ARC from Netgalley and this is my honest review.
Lucy
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of nine novellas with the common theme of a Secret Admirer in each of them. This is the perfect read when you don't have a lot of time to spend in one sitting and can complete each story quickly. I love the beautiful cover and deckled pages. Some of the authors are new to me and others are already favorites. This is a great way to be introduced to different writing styles and find new authors to check into.
The Cost of a Heart by Amanda Barratt: This story made me love the c
Susan
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this collection. All the stories were well written and each one had its own charm. I was trying to figure out which story was my favorite and I really couldn’t because I liked them all. However, two of the ones that really kind of got my attention were Too Many Secrets and Love from Afar. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Historical Christian Fiction.
I was received a copy of this book from one of the authors in exchange for my honest opinion. A positive rev
Pam
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“The Secret Admirer Romance Collection” offers a wide variety of historical love stories with predominately western settings. One thing each novella has in common is the secret admirer theme but each tale is unique. Most of the authors are new to me although I have enjoyed books by Molly Noble Bull and Kathleen Y’Barbo in the past.

I enjoy collections like this because I have the opportunity to read it from cover-to-cover or to read one novella at a time when I have just a short time but want to

• Seven Brides for Seven Texans
  • Seven Brides for Seven Texas Rangers Romance Collection: 7 Rangers Find Love and Justice on the Texas Frontier
  • First Love Forever Romance Collection: 9 Historical Romances Where First Loves are Rekindled
  • The Barefoot Brides Collection
  • Reading Between the Lines (Lantano Valley #1)
  • An Old-Fashioned Texas Christmas: 2-in-1 Holiday Novella Collection
  • This Is Not How It Ends
  • Her Christmas Wedding Fake Fiancé: O'Brien Family Romance
  • The Regency Brides Collection
  • Christmas Stitches: A Historical Romance Collection: 3 Stories of Women Sewing Hope and Love Through the Holidays
  • Snowfall and Mistletoe (Christmas in Willow Falls Book 3)
  • A Cowboy Unmatched  (Archer Brothers, #2.5)
  • More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family, #1)
  • A Bet on Love and Hope
  • Angels on the Night Shift: Inspirational True Stories from the ER
  • The Accidental Guardian (High Sierra Sweethearts, #1)
  • Miracles in the ER: Extraordinary Stories from a Doctor's Journal
  • Sweet Sacrifices (Candle Beach #8)

ECPA best-selling author Amanda Barratt fell in love with writing in grade school when she wrote her first story—a spin-off of Jane Eyre. Now, Amanda writes romantic, historical fiction, penning stories of beauty and brokenness set against the backdrop of bygone eras not so very different from our own. She's the